Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brad Mcquaid looted 45k of the crowdfunding

Comments

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    It depends where the 45k actually went. You could easily spend 45k legitimately for a starting MMO. Knowing Brad's history it was likely wasted in some way but technically we don't really have the whole story.

He took that money as a cash advance for personal issues. 

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    ...and I always thought Aradune Mithara was a ranger and not a thief.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

2 Positive things could come from this.

1. hopefully people will learn and there will be less "Criers" on the forms who try to convince you to Donate (ie with no interest or return) To these types of games.

2. People will be smart, And not go all in and donate to games until they have demonstrated some competency and not just pretty pictures.

Pessimist in me says none of this will come to pass tho.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

Unbelievable.

I don't even have any interest in the project but really this dude is such a crook, this definitely has to get "out there" as much as possible so that no other similar scams can be started by this person.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Someone needs to make a gif of Brad's EQ Aradune Ranger looting 45,000 platinum off a dead banker in freeport.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    This is why crowd sourcing is laughable 99% of the time and why games being developed through crowd sourcing are of poor quality. There is no accountability. I'm really hoping Camelot Unchained doesn't go the way of the dodo like all other crowdsourced games are.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

I was hoping and waiting for this game to die a horrible horrible death after seeing Brad has learned nothing in the last 10 years.

I am so happy that it's Brad himself that put this abortion of a game to death.

The market is in desperate need of innovation and something new, but Pantheon was so many steps backwards. I am glad that it's dying in a loud shitstorm. Hopefully it will force future developers to think twice about their concept.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Originally posted by Lyrian

I was hoping and waiting for this game to die a horrible horrible death after seeing Brad has learned nothing in the last 10 years.

The market is in desperate need of innovation and something new, but Pantheon was so many steps backwards. I am glad that it's dying in a loud shitstorm. Hopefully it will force future developers to think twice about their concept.

Pretty stupid response considering Pantheon's fall has nothing to do with the concept and everything to do with whose leading.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

Long long time ago when I was still working I was invited to become a partner in a firm. I had been there for three years watching my boss treating client's money like his personal kitty. They would take money and put it back as they had a client account and the firm account but money would flow in and out.  He had been doing this for years and never thought anything of it. When he invited me to join him he had a heart attack I turned him down although everyone said I was an idiot .He died a couple months later , as a partner I would have been liable for every penny he had misappropriated and unable to put back before his death. What a bullet I dodged there.

I have seen company directors who have turned their family business into private companies and allowed shareholders to buy shares not understand they have no right to the company funds and look at me like I am a loon when I say so because hey it was their own company after all. Many people do not understand financial separation and treat the cash in companies and clients as theirs. 

I feel so sorry for the people who slogged and slaved for him to have done this so callously.

• CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043

Anyone who has watched Brad McQuaid over the years should not be surprised by this type of news. The guy is a slimy greaseball, and he was accused of doing similar things with EQ and even Vanguard.

People who gave him money or are willing to work for/with him deserve this. He has a decorated history of being trash, and I'm baffled as to how/why anyone would give him the time of day or any of their money.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

Pretty stupid response considering Pantheon's fall has nothing to do with the concept and everything to do with whose leading.

Not at all. They are both linked. The concept was uninspired at best, the leadership is simply what killed it first.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Wow...it's kinda sad in a way.  I donated to the KS, but when they went the crowd funding route I passed and glad I did.
  • MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635

Not at all. They are both linked. The concept was uninspired at best, the leadership is simply what killed it first.

When I initially saw that the kickstarter didn't even have Crafting in unless it was reached as a stretch goal i was like nope nope nope not taking my money. Everyone here flamed people who were skeptical of paying money on such a bogus feature list that weren't even core mechanics and pinned on as afterthoughts. Not even one bit surprised by Brad's actions. What a joke.

• Xav_MMOXav_MMO Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Originally posted by JerYnkFan
    Wow...it's kinda sad in a way.  I donated to the KS, but when they went the crowd funding route I passed and glad I did.

Same for me - donated a pretty good amount to the KS but felt I should back away from the more "open" funding format. Just didn't feel right.

But I didn't expect this.

• TusknCharleyTusknCharley Member Posts: 10

After Brads Vanguard debacle, honestly, anything with his name on it should have brought red flags. Hope he can be held accountable in some way, be it reparation or the gray bar hotel. I feel for everything working on the project, albeit minus the ninja looter.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    The more I read into this, the more my thoughts and prayers go out to all those who donated time, money, and effort for this project. Hope this works out for the best somehow, and I hope Brad never has a chance to do this to people again.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Prhyme
    It was a 3 month salary advance when he assumed the money would come in from an investor that didn't come through. Sad situatuon.

He was planning on taking a $180K salary during the development of budget strapped indy game?!??!

He REALLY has absolutely NO business acumen does he?

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

There was also this report that mentioned the 45k Brad took out as an advance was for 3 months salary. 

Let me clarify it for you:  he wants to pay himself 15k a month after taxes, in a startup with a shoe-string budget and no long-term funding.

And of course now he's asking for volunteer's to help him.

You make me like charity

• Covet78Covet78 Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by Locithon

The reason why the entire dev team left was because Brad, without telling anyone, took 45k of the ~150k upfront to "pay bills". When it was announced the money had ran out the dev team (according to Silius) were shocked because they thought they had at least another 2 months to keep working on the project until real funding was found.

This has since been deleted off the facebook page. (Danielle is the wife of one of the devs - Vhalen)

Everyone jumped ship when they learned what Brad did which is why he is now seeking out volunteers to work on the project.

I tried.. I  could not find any proof that this is nothing more then hear-say. I'm not saying it isn't true. But this could very well just be someone that wants to stir some trouble for amusement. A troll none-the-less. Braid McQuaid obviously does not have a good track record, but before spreading rumors, remember this is nothing more then an accusation with absolutely no proof. I went to the site, tried to find their sources, and come up with hear-say. Looks like nothing more then trolling designed for website hits.

Could be true, could not be true. I refuse to believe in crap because someone else said so. 

The website that you copied the screenshot even admits they cannot verify the screenshot you showed here. Nothing at all can be verified. Braid is a slimy douche forsure, but just because he is... well.. you know. Stop believing without proof. [mod edit]

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Covet78

I tried.. I  could not find any proof that this is nothing more then hear-say. I'm not saying it isn't true. But this could very well just be someone that wants to stir some trouble for amusement. A troll none-the-less. Braid McQuaid obviously does not have a good track record, but before spreading rumors, remember this is nothing more then an accusation with absolutely no proof. I went to the site, tried to find their sources, and come up with hear-say. Looks like nothing more then trolling designed for website hits.

Could be true, could not be true. I refuse to believe in crap because someone else said so. 

The website that you copied the screenshot even admits they cannot verify the screenshot you showed here. Nothing at all can be verified. Braid is a slimy douche forsure, but just because he is... well.. you know. Stop believing without proof. There's a reason 70% of the USA believes in creationism. People are sheep. Are you a sheep?

There's tons of indirect proof, for what it's worth.  Like, I don't know, the entire dev team falling apart suddenly and Brad asking for volunteers because they mysteriously burned through 150k in several months...

I'm sorry, but Brad is like the developer version of a drug addict at this point.  He always seems to be hard on his luck, nothing works out, someone didn't come through, etc..

Just give him another chance, you know he's good for it.

You make me like charity

• LocithonLocithon Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by Locithon

The reason why the entire dev team left was because Brad, without telling anyone, took 45k of the ~150k upfront to "pay bills". When it was announced the money had ran out the dev team (according to Silius) were shocked because they thought they had at least another 2 months to keep working on the project until real funding was found.

This has since been deleted off the facebook page. (Danielle is the wife of one of the devs - Vhalen)

Everyone jumped ship when they learned what Brad did which is why he is now seeking out volunteers to work on the project.

The website that you copied the screenshot even admits they cannot verify the screenshot you showed here. Nothing at all can be verified. Braid is a slimy douche forsure, but just because he is... well.. you know. Stop believing without proof. There's a reason 70% of the USA believes in creationism. People are sheep. Are you a sheep?

You can hear it for yourself: http://www.ktamradio.com/

Listen to some of the old interviews on the bottom right.  I heard from at least 5 devs that Brad did something with the money. You can hear Silius, Vu, Mac, Vhalen, (all Pantheon devs) confirm all of this.

Silius first discovered that there was a large sum of money missing and presented it to the team.  Brad then cut off contact with all of them. Vu said on mumble the other night that Brad has not talked to him since this all happened.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

related

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/05/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallens-financials-under-scrutiny

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

I have been a supporter of this game from the beginning.  After the KS failed I was not to happy or optimistic.  Now I have no hope at all.  I never followed Brad until this KS came up, so not aware of the supposed drug problems or whatever but he is definitely not a good leader/manager.

Personally I hope that a game like what Pantheon was supposed to be will some day come out.  There are a bunch of people interested in this type of gameplay but I hate to say that this is definitely a couple steps back from that.  I hope some smarter devs will come out eventually with an Old school inspired MMO but gonna wait now.

This whole thing is absolutely terrible, I feel bad for the other devs and some of my friends that donated to the site but Brad has lost my full support, that's for sure.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

I feel sorry for the people who donated for this project. Even though I didn't donate for the Kickstarter campaign, I was hoping it would fund, because the basic concept did intrigue me, I'm just simply not willing to throw cash at something that may never be released, or if it does, surely won't be released for 3-4 years, based on an idea alone.

Really, when the KS failed, that should have been the end of this project, and it looks like for many people, it was, considering how much the KS raised compared to how much they raised on their website.

This campaign was just poorly run from the beginning. Compare this campaign to say, the CU campaign (which I also did not donate for, mostly because PvP only games don't interest me). I did, however, follow the campaign, and do have to commend Mark Jacobs and his crew. That is a textbook example of how a KS campaign should be run, Pantheon is an example of how not to run one.

• jons000jons000 Member Posts: 13

Here's my screenshot I personally took from my Facebook before Brad could delete the evidence.  Hopefully this helps puts to rest whether this is real or not.  The guy took $45k and now he has the audacity to request volunteers... What a joke.

This discussion has been closed.