Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Girl Gamers

Comments

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953
    My grandmother spent $1,500 on a computer to play solitaire.  Thats just wrong.
  • WakizashiWakizashi Member Posts: 893
    This thread is useless w/o pics
  • deggilatordeggilator Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by pirrg
    Im amazed that you're surprised at the respones you get. Like the two posters above me, the majority of the MMO playerbase are somewhere around 12-16 year old nerds with limited social experience.

Actually, the MMORPG market has traditionally been one with a higher average customer age (~26 years old), though this must have changed with the success of titles such as Lineage and World of Warcraft that opened the market to a wider audience. It'd be nice if immaturity was an exclusive privilege of the youngest, but I've met more 20-30yo immature people than I ever wanted to. ::::35::

In any case, I've been in two guilds in Everquest 2, one in a US server, the other in European and we've had a reasonable force of female gamers, half of which played together with their boyfriends/husbands. It seems that MMORPGs in general tend to attract a larger female crowd than single player games, which I assume has to do with both the opportunity of virtual character development and the social aspects of MMOGs.

Currently playing:
    * City of Heroes: Deggial, Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster. Server: Defiant.
    * City of Villains: Snakeroot, Plant/Thorns Dominator. Server: Defiant.

• haylenhaylen Member Posts: 106

time for my daily lecture, girls in games are not wrong, in that aspect, that if they are not the "stereotype" as a poster on the first page said. otherwise, it is sometimes terrible, to even pathetic to see certain reactions from players in a mmorpg towards girls. i have read a quite interesting article about a girl in World of Warcraft before, i can't come up with the site anymore francly. those people who tend to react like they have never seen a girl before, or even deteste them, live in an age around 1930 or close. in my opinion girls in games is the same as girls in soccer or even guys in ballet. it should be acceptable for everyone, therefore it quite hits me if people don't. in fact, perhaps more girls should play games, because if i ever dare to say the word "game" in a radius in which a girl is present, i'm likely to get nailed in the floor with criticism :). to resolve that, i even encourage my (oh beloved) girlfriend to play The Sims 2. it should not only be "real life subjects" to talk about with girls, why not a game as a topic of discussion once and a while?

I have a tree, a tree that's in my garde, but my garden's too small for the tree, so the tree is in my house, that means i don't have a house .... who am i anyway?

• SONOFAGUNNSONOFAGUNN Member Posts: 414

Originally posted by TheWarc

Originally posted by SONOFAGUNN

To all the girl gamers .... imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

There are some NORMAL guys that play also.....imageimageimage

That came out so bad image

LOL... I guess it did......

But there are GUYS out there that just enjoy gaming and are not interested in trying to get cybersex, a date, free boob pics from them (well not immediately anyway image)

I apoligize for any discomfort my comments have caused....image

Witty saying to amuse you goes here.

• Wat3v4Wat3v4 Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Nerf09
    I'm a PvP Cheerleader.

lol wat?

I dont know what phallocentric means, but no girls!
  • dspawndspawn Member Posts: 37

this is something i saw alot of when i played runescape (i'm a guy btw, but i walkedpast this happening)

"hay! a Grl!! Lets Cyber!!!!!"

stupid 12 year olds....

anyway i'ld like to see more girl gamers, the problem is i never know who really is a girl. i mean there are too many guys pretending to be girls in the online worlds

• ImperatorianImperatorian Member Posts: 1,000

I'm male, and I've been hit on by girls in video game. Girls have said really sexually explicit things to me. Usually, these were girls that I knew and Skype'd with a lot, and exchanged (fully clothed) pictures with on the forums.

It's not a female only thing, being sexually harassed in video games.

Second, the reason I think girls are sometimes isolated in video games, is because they create "girl only" guilds, girl only forums, and spout things like "girl power!" and "you got pwned by a girl!" everywhere. What do you hope to achieve by saying "you got pwned by a girl"? The only thing you're implying is that some how most girls are inferior to male gamers - but that you are special. Way to go. And yes, these are real girl gamers. these aren't all girl gamers of course. Two of my best friends I've met online are girls.

If I as a guy were to start a male-only guild, I'd be a sexist chauvinist pig. Good going, equality.

• SonOfAGhostSonOfAGhost Member Posts: 383

Originally posted by daniellex55
    Hey ladies, I'm a girl gamer and of course- I find myself in a world of males. I'd say at least once a day I either question my self, or get questioned by my male counterparts about WHY I'm a girl gamer. For the record I'm a pretty normal girl. I don't have any social disorders, i'm not a humpback, I live in exciting southern California where there's tons to do, and I was even a cheerleader in high school. I began playing MMORPGs about 3 years ago after learning about them from a coworker. Now I wouldn't give them up for the world. So my question is WHY do other girls game, What games are your favorites and what has your experiences been like in a world where your surrounded by testosterone and violence?
    I'm a male but the status of female gamers is of great interest to me as I'd like to encourage my wife to share my hobby rather than spacing out in front of the TV and I have 2 daughters. The oldest tends towards FPS when she's not playing a Strawberry Shortcake or Green Eggs & Ham game. Her current favourite is Battlefront 2. Anyway, I've got a few observations:

Overall the average gamer is a male in his mid 30s (like me), though I expect the average age has plateaued. In the context of MMOs the average age is probably over 40 because they're the ones with the credit cards and the younger folks are also more inclined to shorter gaming sessions for a few reasons I won't get into here. I think the overall number of female gamers is growing quickly but still nowhere near proportional (54% of the population). I'd be surprised if females aren't over 1/3 of gamers by the end of the decade. Younger female gamers aren't changing the balance in MMOs but the few females in the same age group as the males that have been playing them are over-represented there. I remember seeing something when The Sims first came out that up to that point only about 5% were female but in MMOs they were 10%. I suspect that the MMO #s haven't changed from that though the general gaming population is probably up to 15-20%.

Why aren't there more older female gamers? Boys and girls are raised differently, even more so in the past than now. Boys are raised with a fascination for gadgets, technology and the sci-fi that inspired much of it. For my generation computers have replaced hotrods as what we're most likely to tinker with. They're cheaper, compact enough to be worked in the comfort of our home and not nearly as messy (though a good surround sound system can make them as noisy). Little girls tend not to play with 'boys toys' and vice-versa. Boys being the users of the technolgy are who the games get targeted at. Reinforcing in the girls minds that 'it's just not their thing'. Now that they're older they've had to become familiar with technology somewhat as it became more pervasive. So while my wife does have some interest in some games she doesn't have the experience with the electronic/computer games most guys our age do. So she feels at a disadvantage and gets frustrated easily that she's not doing as well when the game starts and tends to give up.

That seems to be the general patteren for females our age. They see the enjoyment their hubands and kids are having and are interested in participating but aren't willing to accept any kind of learning curve. It's not really a gender thing at all, it's familarity, comfort level and experience. My mother has used computers at work in a small office for almost 10 years now but only sent her first email last year. My father has had a computer on his desk at home for that long and the only games he plays are solitaire, majjong and the original civilization. While I never even screw my case closed tight, he's never had his open. They didn't grow up as the technology did.

Which brings me to the changes going on. There's more young girls playing now because they're growing up familiar with the technology. The only reason the numbers are still low is the game companies are still geared to target the existing marked of mostly males not the future market of mostly females. That will change, just look what's happened to TV. When it was a new technology it was mostly aimed at men. Now there's male-oriented specialty channels (Men-TV, Spike, Space, Sci-Fi and the late TechTV (RIP)) because, other than some sports on the weekend, there's nothing else on for men. The rest is all aimed at women, kids or stupid people (regardless of age or gender). The game types that exist now aren't going away. They will become a small niche though as the majority of the general population gradually becomes the majority of gamers as well...just give it a couple decades ::::40::

One last point is that, until they 'know' you (through a forum or guild/clan), most female gamers won't identify themselves as such because A) it's the internet, who really cares and B) doing so publicly in-game tends to evoke a few idiotic responses like we've already seen examples of in this thread. You know who you are, go extract your cranium from your rectum. I'm hoping this will change before my daughters are old enough to type and/or enter an IP into Vent or TeamSpeak.

To the OP, don't take questions about why you're a girl gamer as criticism. Most often it will be a male trying to figure out a way to encourage a female(s) he knows to join the fun. Consider yourself a success-story they want their girlfriend/sister/wife/daughter/etc. to emulate ::::28::

• YaishaYaisha Member Posts: 117

about what Imperatorian said:

"If I as a guy were to start a male-only guild, I'd be a sexist chauvinist pig. Good going, equality."

(I get an error when I try to quote..)

It's always been socially accepted for minorities to ban together.  The same applies irl, there are colleges only for blacks but a white-only college would be racist.  It may not be fair but it's a fact deeply seeded into the real world and it won't change any time soon. :(

I'm sorry to hear that a lot of people have had bad experiences with girl gamers on their MMOs...  but I guess it's just a matter of luck in who you meet.  Also, a lot of the more mature types tend to not be very vocal about their sex, for example I made a friend and we only found out months later that each other were female.

• daniellex55daniellex55 Member Posts: 67

Nice to meet you Yaisha, and all the other girl gamers who have responded :)

Thanks for so much feedback, I really appreciate all the responses. I thought it would be interesting to hear about what its like being a gamer from the point of view of other girls, however, I'm finding it just as interesting and enlightening to hear what the guys have to say about us as well.

I'm sorry that there seems to be some female gamers out there that are giving some of us a bad rep, but I assure you all theres always gonna be a few bad apples ya know?

I also agree with what SonOfAGhost said...as technology hurls it's self into the future I believe the female gamer population is going to continue to grow - watch out boys ::::39::

• AshkentAshkent Member Posts: 772

Originally posted by devils_hymn

i dont see anything wrong with girl gammers. no offence to non gamming girls but they just dont know what fun really is because this stuff is what fun really is(i mean by playing online games) and the only downside is girls are so idiotic(not to be mean but its true) they think they are in love with some random dude like in his 30s and they think hes like 15 so the go out and meet him the get kidnaped raped and other stuff but thats why most girls parent dont let them play and btw im a guy not a girl if your just wnderin. holy cow i typed alot must be high off spraypaint from a school project. lol im just going on and on and on and on and on and on okay what the cow im gonna stop lol

wtf are you talking about???  image   image 

i don't even know where to begin with that post...

its simple really. people (well, guys) make a big deal about female gamers because there aren't (or weren't) many female gamers. now lets take a look at your average mmo player? young, male, geeks/nerds. guys who probably have a hard time getting dates or even socializing with women. when they see a female gamer they think, wow! a girl that plays this game?  maybe since she likes it, she might like me too (or something like that). they think they can relate to these women better than the average, "all i care about is my hair, my make-up, and my hot guys" type of woman.

• COAgamerCOAgamer Member Posts: 190

Just wanted to say, more power to any girl gamers out their and one other thing...

They way guys treat girls in these games is horrible. Female gamers should really start like a female gamer civil rights movement or something. Just saying this from all the girls I know that play and ones I have met in game. But anyway, more power too you, good job, yatta yatta :)

(guy gamer btw lol)

Modjoe86- Gambling is a sin.
    Laserwolf- Only if you lose.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Waiting for= PSU, WAR

• ZivaDominiZivaDomini Member Posts: 442

I have run into one of those "I'm a female therefore every male should worship me online" types.

God how I loathe her to this day....

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Originally posted by ZivaDomini

I have run into one of those "I'm a female therefore every male should worship me online" types.

It was probably me image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by shae

Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by Razorback

And Tiala... your BF2 stats make mine look totally N00bified... Nice Work image

Thank you.  :D

Teala, and girls like her, are my hero. I tried so hard to get into BF2 when it came out, I've always wanted to get really into a FPS and BF2 seemed like the perfect one at the time but in the end I just couldn't do it. Only so many times I can get shot and laugh it off image

::blushes::  Me a girl gamer hero...not hardly.  I just love to play these games and learned I'm a fairly decent player...I'm actually pretty clueless when it comes to these games and stumble my way through them until I become proficient at them, as I play them.   If you read my x-fire profile(screen name is Teala) under play style I have clueless.  LOL!

• Zeed006Zeed006 Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by ZivaDomini

Yes ive met the type.  Im my eyes she was just a smart girl and knows most of the guys on vent/ts are hurting teenagers just begging for a smile from girls.  To me it was taking advantage of the situation but annoying nonetheless. 

To OP:  I agree in WoW there are ALOT more girls that play and that have actual skills.  From my expierience in FFXI most of the girls i met wanted my msn and wanted to talk while not in the game(altho some were really good players). 

Guy or Girl.  No-one can tell you want you like to do.  Do what makes you happy and aviod the people who would try to bring you down.

The world is not out to get you Mr. Casual. Stop working in RL and put some hours in the game like the rest of us. What's that? Your time in RL is more VALUABLE. Nuff Said.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by shae
    I joined two local lan groups, one being all female and the other mix, I stopped being afraid of being a girl online, it's who I am, why the hell should I not show it. I joined and participated in female gaming sites and tried to attend events, basically anything I could do to get into it.  

It was at a local lan party in my city that I met my husband.  LOL!  It was funny because he kept getting killed by me.   He got frustrated during a match and stood up and said...OK which one of you @%@%@ keeps killing me!  I stood up and said me...you want to do something about it?  LOL!  He did..and married me!

• Fullmetall11Fullmetall11 Member Posts: 87

For that to be a short story it was hilarious lol....

Well anyway i've played FFXI for a bit my first year into Mmorpg's and i'm 15 so don't look down on me cuz i'm young..... Well to be honest i agree with everyone who says 16-13 year old gamers are annoying i can be at times only on FPS games though...

On the matter at hand girl gamers are awesome to be honest i mean i get tired of the cockiness i get from male counterparts while playing PVP in an MMORPG or while getting killed in an FPS i also agree the internet isn't ready for women,girls,cheerleaders.....whatever..

What scares me is the fact that guys actually pick female characters in MMORPG to use people very disturbing...

I mean i've had times where i had to use a female character like in FFXI i was a Samurai originally i though and Elvaan would be best character yet i needed Dex because they miss alot so i was like ok no problem yet Dex armour and items cost like 3x as much as they should so i looked around and they had another character called a mithra which had ALOT of dex but little str so i thought and then i checked the prices for the dex items and then the str items turns out str items are alot cheaper then dex so i thought it would have been smarter for me to go with the mithra instead of the elf at that point.....I also made sure i told everyone of my friends or people i knew on the game i was a dude....

What would you have done in that situation?

Overall it would be nice to have women gamers on MMORPG's and no i'm not one of those 15 year old nerds that have no social life >.>

• HibameHibame Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by daniellex55
    Hey ladies, I'm a girl gamer and of course- I find myself in a world of males. I'd say at least once a day I either question my self, or get questioned by my male counterparts about WHY I'm a girl gamer. For the record I'm a pretty normal girl. I don't have any social disorders, i'm not a humpback, I live in exciting southern California where there's tons to do, and I was even a cheerleader in high school. I began playing MMORPGs about 3 years ago after learning about them from a coworker. Now I wouldn't give them up for the world. So my question is WHY do other girls game, What games are your favorites and what has your experiences been like in a world where your surrounded by testosterone and violence?

So you’re a girl that plays games. Who the fuck cares. The reason people seem to think girls are a rarity on the internet is because of people like you whom have to declare their sex. I’ve played games with plenty of males and females alike, all of the intelligent people don’t care about your sex just about if the game is fun and the people are not stupid.

WARNING: My spelling is atrocious

• VenusENvyVenusENvy Member Posts: 4

Girl gamer here!

Well, I wasn't a cheerleader, but I did model.  Does that count?!?!  I have friends and know what a Friday night is.  I have a job and even study at University.  I have date in real life and even date people that DON'T play video games!  OMG!  I LOVE PC GAMES, and recently got really, really stuck on MMORPGs.  Love em!

I also don't suffer from lack of social skills, like Hibame clearly does!

But, you know what, who cares if there are ugly girls with no friends that can't hold a job because they are too addicted to gaming?  As long as they are having fun!  Well, ok, they need a little help, but not much.

My experience has been alright in a gaming world full of boys.  Most are nice and the ones that aren't are pretty easy to out mouth or /ignore.

Good thread!

Wasn't there a girls game made where the controller was shaped like a broom or a frying pan or something? 

*runs and hides*

• VenusENvyVenusENvy Member Posts: 4

Hahahaha!

Yes, and the overall point of the game was to blugeon the end-boss Wakizashi with it.  image 

• ImperatorianImperatorian Member Posts: 1,000

Originally posted by VenusENvy
    Girl gamer here!
    Well, I wasn't a cheerleader, but I did model. Does that count?!?! I have friends and know what a Friday night is. I have a job and even study at University. I have date in real life and even date people that DON'T play video games! OMG! I LOVE PC GAMES, and recently got really, really stuck on MMORPGs. Love em!
    I also don't suffer from lack of social skills, like Hibame clearly does!
    But, you know what, who cares if there are ugly girls with no friends that can't hold a job because they are too addicted to gaming? As long as they are having fun! Well, ok, they need a little help, but not much.
    My experience has been alright in a gaming world full of boys. Most are nice and the ones that aren't are pretty easy to out mouth or /ignore.
    Good thread!

Out mouth like you did with Hibame?

Trying to offend by using a variation of "get a life" is neither clever, nor funny.

He used the word 'fuck' on an internet message trying to get the same point across as I did. Clearly, that must mean that he lacks social skills. Got forbid people having an opinion that is different from you, that'd just be whacky!