Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade: The Tyranid Hive Revealed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Tyranids. To the veteran Warhammer 40K player the name inspires chills down the spine, a combination of awe and trepidation; and why? The Tyranids are an alien race from beyond the known galaxy. They arrived in this galaxy in 745 M41, along the Eastern Fringes, and since then their dreaded Hive Fleets have infested planet after planet. Once these planets have been stripped of their bio-matter the invasive Hive moves on, leaving behind a despoiled husk, incapable of supporting life. And they'll be coming after you all in Behaviour's upcoming MMO, Eternal Crusade.

Read more of Terry O'Brien's Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade - The Tyranid Hive Revealed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    waiting for this game is so hard to do.
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • HoumanWH40kHoumanWH40k Member UncommonPosts: 2

Why not join other fans on the official EC forums? That's one of your best sources for direct-from-devs info :D

http://forum.eternalcrusade.com/

Houman Sadaghiani
    QA Manager / Playtest Organizer
    Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade / Behaviour Interactive || Ork Weirdboy

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    it is only mmo game for what I am waithing
  • guy232guy232 Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Only game I would  gladly by a founders pack for...even if it ends up a complete failure.  I know I'll  have fun in it.   Because honestly anything  40k related just..taste better lol 

It..Burns..

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    So far Warhammer 40k was lucky with average representations. About this one, i feel their artwork is extremely outdated.. At least their combat mechanics (from the videos they showed us) look like a copy from Warhammer40k: SpaceMarines from THQ, with very few additions, which is not bad at all, it was a great game that one with very good gameplay. I hope this try wont bite the dust, the fact that they love the 40k world doesnt mean to me anything, cause thee biggest crimes committed based on love xD

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    "The Tyranids are an alien race from beyond the known galaxy."

Pretty sure I'm a jerk but that should read "universe" not "galaxy" which would be hilarious considering forty thousand years in the future telescopes somehow get worse?
  • EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Then again maybe the wording should have been: "The Tyranids are an alien race from beyond the Milky Way Galaxy."
  • MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by EndoRoboto
    "The Tyranids are an alien race from beyond the known galaxy."

Pretty sure I'm a jerk but that should read "universe" not "galaxy" which would be hilarious considering forty thousand years in the future telescopes somehow get worse?

Known galaxy in 40k doesnt mean explored by telescope ...

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166

I would consider the Milky Way galaxy and the "known galaxy" to be fairly synonymous in 40K terms, no?

What really gets me thinking is why here and why now?  Did they consume all available resources in their home galaxy?  Or were (are) they fleeing some superior force?  And what could be so scary that the Hive Mind would choose to flee rather than fight?

T

• VikaryousVikaryous Member Posts: 1
    Seeing as all they do is consume and they only thing they've ever avoided is the Necrons, the safe bet would be that they sucked their own galaxy dry. Assuming where they're coming from is their home galaxy in the first place, and not just the latest in a line of decimated galaxies.

The scary part being the bulk of the Hive Fleets haven't even arrived yet.
  • Locutus001Locutus001 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by turinmacleod

What really gets me thinking is why here and why now?  Did they consume all available resources in their home galaxy?  Or were (are) they fleeing some superior force?  And what could be so scary that the Hive Mind would choose to flee rather than fight?

T

They have consumed their home galaxy...and 11 others.

“Behind the Hive Fleets lie the barren husks of a dozen galaxies already consumed” - 5th Edition Rulebook, Pg. 166

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166

Nice find, Locutus, I'll have to add that tidbit to my Tyrannic data-banks.

I kinda liked it better the other way though, as I really like the idea that there is something out there that scares the Hive Mind.

T

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

@turinmacleod

There is something out there. There have been various hints in a number of publications by GW over the years that the 'Nids are running from "something", devouring galaxies as they go.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• manio22manio22 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    There is something Tyranids afraid of? *gets chills* That is second biggest plot twist after i heard Lord Ao (supergod deity in DnD) has a master...

I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it
    --Voltaire

• DereknorDereknor Member Posts: 35
    Its important to know that the Tyranids first appeard about 25 years ago, and they where the inspiration for the Zergs (just becuase blizzard couldnt afford the money to buy the rights form warhammer). I still got a 25 years old boardgame from warhammer with the tyranids :) At that time, they where just an unknown enemy with a lot of bio-clones around the galaxy, which just turned out to be a scout troup of the real tyranid force. And now, the tyranids are even more dangerous then the chaos troups. A great force, heading for our galaxy, to consume any living bioform to transform it into an tyranid lifeform. Compared to the tyranids, the Zerg are just little cute cats :) If you want to have an idea about the tyranids, just imagine the aliens from the "alien"movies, just as a whole race of trillions of aliens, invading the galaxy.

• SarrathSarrath Member UncommonPosts: 2
    So basically, the Tyranids are just into eating and f#$*ing :)
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Dereknor
    Its important to know that the Tyranids first appeard about 25 years ago, and they where the inspiration for the Zergs (just becuase blizzard couldnt afford the money to buy the rights form warhammer). I still got a 25 years old boardgame from warhammer with the tyranids :) At that time, they where just an unknown enemy with a lot of bio-clones around the galaxy, which just turned out to be a scout troup of the real tyranid force. And now, the tyranids are even more dangerous then the chaos troups. A great force, heading for our galaxy, to consume any living bioform to transform it into an tyranid lifeform. Compared to the tyranids, the Zerg are just little cute cats :) If you want to have an idea about the tyranids, just imagine the aliens from the "alien"movies, just as a whole race of trillions of aliens, invading the galaxy.

There are actually much more similarities between the Zerg and the "Bugs" or Hive Overmind of 1959's Starship Soldier and their struggle against the Terran Federation of Earth.  It is a common misconception that they were in whole conceived or inspired by Warhammer 40k when it was Warhammer that was inspired by Starship Soldier to create their own race -- with Starcraft following suit with the idea for reasons that I won't get into, but basing it almost entirely after Starship Soldier as opposed to Warhammering taking the race in different directions.  Long story short, there's no denying that Starcraft took idea from somewhere.  Though the earliest source is Robert A. Heinlein's book, which inspired Warhammer in a lot of ways.  One could definitely say they got the idea to copy Starship Soldier's race from Warhammer, though.  In my opinion.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • zmalamuthzmalamuth Member Posts: 9

Long story short:

Blizzard was making "Warhammer 40K" RTS, GW wasn't happy with the result, so blizz used the assets to create starcraft.