Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I love Star Wars, but combat / animations are important to me.

MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
Hence why I've never downloaded the game. Every video I've watched shows animations that'd have been embarassing in the 90's. Has it changed?

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Comments

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362

Wow, I've always thought the opposite about the animations. I've always loved how they correspond to the skill used, how the Sith warrior and Jedi Guardian are essentially the same class with the same skills, but feel so different to play because of the animations between the two. 

Anyways, I love the animations. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Played SWTOR for about 3-4 months back when launched and stopped it after we cleared almost all content with my guild. Checking the state of the game sometimes and i can say SWTOR is a much better game than it was in launch. Animations and combat are of my favorites aspects of it :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Animations and combat for the game are actually some of the best aspects.  It's very fluid and quick.

You make me like charity

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Really? But all the trailers / gameplay videos I've seen look terrible.

Like you literally see the attack entirely miss the enemy, but they still get hit. I know this isn't free-combat, but I should at least see the attack -connect-.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Anyway this is about personal tastes and despite i m not a huge fan of SWTOR i love both combat and animations. Others may hate them and its absolutely fine :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

Like you literally see the attack entirely miss the enemy, but they still get hit. I know this isn't free-combat, but I should at least see the attack -connect-.

I don't generally watch videos of other people playing games, so I can't really comment on that.  I can say that combat feels very solid.  I mean, there's only so much you can really do in an MMO. so it's not like every hit results in ragdoll physics or anything, but it feels a ton better than most everything else.

What's weird is that when I first played it, I had been used to thinking WoW had some really tight and fluid animations and combat.  It wasn't until after I stopped playing SWtOR and went back to WoW for a bit, that I realized just how good SWtOR's combat really feels.  Compared to it, WoW feels very bland.

You make me like charity

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Combat animations are okeyish, the biggest problem is turning - turning animations are basically non-existent.

Oh, and that 180° torso twist... :/

Characters move more like tanks rather than human beings. I am with OP, despite how much I like the rest of the game, animations are a game breaker for me.

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    If animations are a deal breaker why are you playing MMOs
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Fenrir767

If animations are a deal breaker why are you playing MMOs

Not all MMO "allow" 180° torso twist...

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I love the master stroke animations and the sword animations. Sorry don't agree with you I just love the game animations.
    Chamber of Chains
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

One of the best features of swtor other than story/vo is the combat/animations.

However, pvp, being limited to wz/instances means balance is important but I feel it is not balanced (choosing right classes/AC or specific specs with different playstyles with that AC as something superior for dmg in WZ - pigeon holing)... and also rewarding the grind too much imo. I felt my effort to enjoy the top tier of pvp was hindered by an endless grind for pvp gear even without expansions requiring that expected grind for new lvl cap - new tiers of pvp gear without expansions introduced every few months it seems. This also affected my want to enjoy alts as well considering the grind necessary but also the imbalances. So even if one class might be favored as top dmg, it will require a grind for gear and maybe a patch will remove that balance and by the time i get the gear for that class that is balanced with the play style that i like, I wont get to enjoy the top tier of pvp for long. 

I would try swtor pvp... but it drained me too much, and I felt like someone was taking my red stapler playing their pvp game and trying to be top dmg with the class/spec that i liked.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Hence why I've never downloaded the game. Every video I've watched shows animations that'd have been embarassing in the 90's. Has it changed?

They've never changed, so if you don't like how they look it can't be helped. They are what they are.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by Impacthound

They've never changed, so if you don't like how they look it can't be helped. They are what they are.

And they won't change either. So you're better off waiting for the next Star Wars game, like millions of other people.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    The combat is one of my favorite parts about the game as it's far superior to other tab-target MMOs I've played. Like other posters have already said I have to strongly disagree with the OP.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Must be a personal taste thing because that was the best part of the game for me. The thing that drove me away was the stale worlds/environments. The combat and animations were the best aspect. Seeing your lightsaber actually deflect shots and parries was great. Giving it another shot myself after this past double xp weekend and am enjoying it for now. They do seem to be putting in some work on it these days.
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    The combat is one of my favorite parts about the game as it's far superior to other tab-target MMOs I've played. Like other posters have already said I have to strongly disagree with the OP.

I agree that the combat is great for tab target. I just wish the attacks for jedi were a bit faster and for most blaster shots a bit slower and with original sound effects from movies. Overall though it has fun combat for this type of game.

• Combat and animation in SWTOR felt very fluid and tight to me. I only played the game a few months since there weren't any of the open world aspects that would keep me interested, but combat and animations impressed me compared to other MMOs.

• coorsguyscoorsguys Member Posts: 272
    So people who complain about the combat animations in SWTOR do they record their game then watch it in slow motion in hopes of picking up on some minor flaw then act like its some big deal?  I would have to say combat is one of SWTOR bright spots, but again I watch it in real time as I play. 
    Originally posted by coorsguys
    So people who complain about the combat animations in SWTOR do they record their game then watch it in slow motion in hopes of picking up on some minor flaw then act like its some big deal?  I would have to say combat is one of SWTOR bright spots, but again I watch it in real time as I play. 

Some people are just really sensitive to certain things like that. The only "slo-mo" thing I noticed were the blaster shots being deflected, which I always liked while playing because it was so similar to the movies. Then again, when I saw Lord of the Rings in theaters, I instantly saw the modern car driving in the background which a lot of people miss. Everyone's looking for something different.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by asmkm22

I don't generally watch videos of other people playing games, so I can't really comment on that.  I can say that combat feels very solid.  I mean, there's only so much you can really do in an MMO. so it's not like every hit results in ragdoll physics or anything, but it feels a ton better than most everything else.

What's weird is that when I first played it, I had been used to thinking WoW had some really tight and fluid animations and combat.  It wasn't until after I stopped playing SWtOR and went back to WoW for a bit, that I realized just how good SWtOR's combat really feels.  Compared to it, WoW feels very bland.

I completely agree.  I personally prefer action combat like Tera.  But, the tab target combat in SWTOR is a lot of fun.  It's also very fluid and all the abilities feel like they have a purpose.  Like someone above me said about the Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight.  They are mirror classes, but the animations have different icons.  The abilities also look different in the animations.  Even just the way a jedi runs with a lightsaber compared to a sith shows the level of attention to detail.

Just for example.  The sith warrior has Force scream ( a ranged dps ability).  The Jedi knight has a similar ability that does the same thing.  But, the Jedi has blade storm (if you've ever played Tera and a slayer, think Distance blade).

Here's the good news.  The game is F2P.  So, you won't lose anything but time if you download the game and give it a shot.  If you find the game not to your liking.  Just uninstall, and move on.

Originally posted by Gorwe
    LoTR or Hobbit? Because I am pretty sure that there are no cars in LoTR. But that streaming pile which poses as "the Hobbit"-everything's possible. And if in the actual LoTR-where?

It was the first movie, Fellowship of the Ring. It's really small, but driving in the background in one of the scenes leaving the Shire. You can probably find it on youtube since it was likely edited out of newer releases and special editions.

• chopgrchopgr Member Posts: 179

Welcome to 2011. You are late by 3 years.

To stay intopic, no it hasnt changed. Things like that DONT change in games.

http://www.youtube.com/user/chopgr?feature=mhee

"The Heavens burned, the stars
    cried out
    And under the ashes of infinity,
    Hope, scarred and bleeding,
    breathed its last."

One thing that has always bothered me is the way blaster bolts seek their target if it is moving. I'm sure they did this so the shot always appears to be leaving the barrel straight, but it looks kind of dumb sometimes.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

You are barking up the wrong tree. Try  playing some console rpg instead. Not trying to be rude here just stating the fact. Combat mechanic of swtor is no different from WoW and animations are not always how they should be because of the combat mechanics, if combat animation is really that important you should limit yourself to console rpg. 

Dekahn

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson

I completely agree.  I personally prefer action combat like Tera.  But, the tab target combat in SWTOR is a lot of fun.  It's also very fluid and all the abilities feel like they have a purpose.  Like someone above me said about the Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight.  They are mirror classes, but the animations have different icons.  The abilities also look different in the animations.  Even just the way a jedi runs with a lightsaber compared to a sith shows the level of attention to detail.

Just for example.  The sith warrior has Force scream ( a ranged dps ability).  The Jedi knight has a similar ability that does the same thing.  But, the Jedi has blade storm (if you've ever played Tera and a slayer, think Distance blade).

Here's the good news.  The game is F2P.  So, you won't lose anything but time if you download the game and give it a shot.  If you find the game not to your liking.  Just uninstall, and move on.

agree with this :)