Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of the Game?

rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693

I am thinking of trying the game out.

I have a few questions first:

Is the F2P aspect really bad as they say it is?

I enjoy trading items, buying stuff low selling high , would that be possible ?

is there a auction house?

How is the games population?

Is the pvp any good?

Is any of the servers better to start on than others?

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Until the more devoted TOR players get here (since I just went back for receiving my Sky Palace :) ) a few answers to the few questions:

F2p aspect depends on your approach, for a singleplayer-ish gameplay focusing onto the stories it's ok (more or less), but for playing as an mmo (OPs, Flashpoints, etc) it can be pretty harsh.

There's an AH (called GTN), you can play the trading game if you want, but on an f2p account you'll be heavily limited (only 2 GTN slots, and a cap on the money you can have)

Pop, can't say since just started this morning, Ord Mantell seems ok thus far, there's a few folks running around in every area.

Server, those were merged a lot since the launch, so there are no better or worse ones, just go with your location and style (for example in my case Eu, English, Pve -> that already narrowing it down onto one server to choose from)

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by rubydragon5

Is the pvp any good?

F2P isn't bad on EXP, the rates are the same as launch, you get more EXP and boosts if you pay. Other restrictions may annoy you, like the credit cap, "can't remove helmet in cutscenes" or lock on purple gear. YMMV

There is an auction house, the economy is functioning but all the hottest items are either cash shop mounts or raid-pattern gear that far exceed your credit cap of 200k.

Population's average, most people "feel" like there's 250k-300k subscribers, and a slightly smaller portion of preferred or free players.

PVP sucks. The random quality is very low, you can only pre-make 4 out of the 8 slots in a warzone so even premades can fail if you get 2-3 really bad players on your side, arenas are forced in the same rotation as warzones so some people quit or throw games when they get in them. Ranked play is dead and almost 90%+ is win trading.

I think Harbinger is one of the more popular servers. Stay off the PVP ones, total waste.

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by Impacthound

PVP sucks. The random quality is very low, you can only pre-make 4 out of the 8 slots in a warzone so even premades can fail if you get 2-3 really bad players on your side, arenas are forced in the same rotation as warzones so some people quit or throw games when they get in them. Ranked play is dead and almost 90%+ is win trading.

on tofn  ranked is very much alive.  haha and 90% win trading thats a lie

i feel like state of the game is god right now better then ever atlest :P

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Originally posted by rubydragon5

Super please do

I am subbed but I know people who are F2P you can buy every unlock on the GTN. There is also an escrow feature for more credits if the cost is higher than what you can hold. If you spend like $5 you get to be preferred.

There is the GTN which thrives. 

GTN

Quite good in my opinion I always find people on every planet and I have loads of alts on every planet

Is the pvp any good?

No idea sorry

Begeran Colony is where I am.

Chamber of Chains
  • KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

SWTOR F2P is meant for you to experience part of the game, not its whole. It lets you do all the story from quests with all the cutscenes and so on. It gives you a taste of flashpoints (dungeons) and warzones (battlegrounds) by letting you run them 3 and 5 times a week.

I haven't subbed to SWTOR in a long time but sometimes I still pop-in to do some warzones, I either buy the weekly passes in the auction house or spend the cartel coins I accumulated from previous monthly subs. I can level up my characters through pvp so all is good. PVP in this game is a lot of fun, easily the best aspect of the game.

SWTOR is a good game, just not as good as everyone expected it to be, its too instanced, lacks world pvp for the most part, the planets feel empty and lifeless and the game engine is very limiting. It's a nice experience for some time but for me its not the MMO to keep me playing for years to come.

Good game, not so great MMO.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

I recently came back to SWTOR for my Star Wars fix.

Population seems very healthy. Has a lot to do with the small number of servers (compared to the 200 or so originally), but it makes for a lively feeling in game. I started a new character this weekend on The Progenitor (EU-RP) and there were 2-3 instances of Tython (it caps at 150 players per instance) and always 100+ people on the Republic Fleet. I was really surprised just how many people were playing in the levels 1-10 bracket and general chat was buzzing.

For me, F2P is irritating. It was cool to play a few hours without paying a dime, to make up my mind if I was actually going to play for longer than a few hours. But at that point the paywalls begin to bite - pay to hide helmet, pay to match outfit colours, pay to unlock 3 crafting skills, pay to customise companion appearance....so I decided to sub. A friend playing with me was also irritated, and he reasoned that £10 for SWTOR was about the same as a pizza and coke, and would deliver more hours of enjoyment.

As others have said, I don't think SWTOR is a long-term MMO. I played a lot at launch, went raiding, did my dailies, but in the end I got bored with the same stuff over and over. It is fun for a while, especially the class and planet story arcs but I can't see myself playing beyond getting my new Jedi Shadow to 55.

(NB. as a former subscriber I have preferred status, so some of the paywalls don't affect me. If you are a new player they will hit for additional hotbars and other stuff.)

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    get a sub for the first month at least, starting out as f2p can't be that fun unless you buy lots of unlocks