Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where would the next Bioshock setting be, anyway?

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I just finished all the Bioshock DLC, and I've got to say, it was good.  At the same time, without spoiling anything, and especially with the studio and Ken Levine leaving, it doesn't seem like there's anywhere else for Bioshock to go.

There's been a city in the sky, and a city in the ocean, which doesn't leave much else for a Steam Punk-y city to be.  Deep underground?  Doesn't seem like a really good place.  What about space?  Maybe at the Lagrange Point between the Earth and the Moon?  Maybe a rockin' 60s "Utopia City" floating in space.

What do you think, or do you even care that this is probably it for decent Bioshock content?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    I thought that this was the last bioshock.
  • FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Thinking center of the earth or on the moon.
  • TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162
    Well, it started under the sea then moved to above the clouds so . . . Hmm, I don't know. A 1930s style space station?

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    They could be really bold and build on the ground.
  • BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

Sad, but I don't think any other game in this franchise will live up to the ones already made. I say this because Irrational Games is going to be closing down, and the mastermind of the series is going to be forming a new group and making smaller games. So anything else with the name Bioshock attached would just feel like a money grab to me.

I feel the same was about the Halo franchise. Was great when Bungie was making it, but under 343i Halo 4 was souless, and I personally cannot really recall any standout moments in it. My friends also agree with me on this on, and went back to even playing Reach's multiplayer instead.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    I thought that this was the last bioshock.

Kind of.  The developers, Irrational Games, shut down earlier this year, but the IP is still owned by 2K Games.  It's pretty much assumed that more Bioshock games will get made, just under a different studio.  If I remember correctly, I think they even stated that plans for more were in the works.

As for the OP's topic, I'd have to say there are tons of options.  Pretty much take any "fringe of the world" setting and you can add in some twisted steampunk for a Bioshock game.  Something like, say, an underground city that's situated in massive caves above huge geothermal spots.  You could have a lot of open space to explore, and the various heat and light sources could provide a nice color palette.

Anyway, there are options.

You make me like charity

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by BloodDuality

Sad, but I don't think any other game in this franchise will live up to the ones already made. I say this because Irrational Games is going to be closing down, and the mastermind of the series is going to be forming a new group and making smaller games. So anything else with the name Bioshock attached would just feel like a money grab to me.

I feel the same was about the Halo franchise. Was great when Bungie was making it, but under 343i Halo 4 was souless, and I personally cannot really recall any standout moments in it. My friends also agree with me on this on, and went back to even playing Reach's multiplayer instead.

That kind of describes the experience of Bioshock 2.  Lacked the soul of Bioshock.  Bioshock Infinite was a very good successor to the original game.

For some reason, a 1960s era space station run by Cave Johnson from Portal 2 keeps getting stuck in my head.

Some other settings that occurred to me would be going farther back into the past.  The urge to flee society and build a utopia is one that goes back awhile.  Of course, the usual idea is that everyone will be naked and sex will be free, but that's normal people for ya.  Maybe people arrive in the new world and use Alchemy to live with the Aztecs or something.

Bah.  I didn't really expect anyone to comment, I was just venting.  But thanks for the responses. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.