Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Controller

KimvbbKimvbb Member Posts: 47
I've been seeing people say they use a controller.  Is it a PS2 controller with some sort of adapter, or one made for computers?  Either way, where do I buy this?

Comments

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

A real-life friend of mine has a usb adapter for his PS2 controller. Supposedly, he bought it from EB for about $20.

He says he could never stand playing FFXI without it.

Black Star Deceiver kills it all.
    The sun lies waiting for a call.

-Machiavelli

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

So how do you type to talk to people with a controller?  Do you have to put it down, type, pick it up, put it down, type, pick it up?  Seems like a headache to me and not good when your in the middle of a fight and trying to communicate.

The keyboard as they have it set is a pain to get used to but sure seems like a better way to play.

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

they have those controllers that have a keyboard built into them...

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

• NiziborNizibor Member Posts: 131

i think it is gamespot that has a type of controler keyboard hybrid.

on each end you have your standard ps2 buttons and an analog stick on both sides and the keyboard is in the middle

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    Abraham Lincoln

• ZoharZohar Member Posts: 673
    I went to Wal-Mart and bought an Axispad FX USB Game Pad. It's a computer based rip-off of a PS2 controller. I like it.  (Hell, it's even got vibration built in)

how much was it.......i would look but im just to lazy

Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln

• ZoharZohar Member Posts: 673
    I bought it for $18. It's not very high quality but what can ya do?

• AmaranthAmaranth Member Posts: 22

I bought a Logitech gamepad that is pretty much an exact clone of the PS2 controller (sans vibration).  About 20 dollars.  I like playing with a controller because the game is obviously designed around that control-scheme.  Using the second stick for camera is better than mouselook because only your character's head looks around and not his whole body.  Chatting and using the controller isn't any harder than taking your hand off the mouse to type.

Amaranth

Amaranth

• maimeekraimaimeekrai Member UncommonPosts: 256

I saw this controller posted some place. A Logitech keyboard with a contoller built into the sides...

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=support/products/details&CRID=1814&CONTENTID=6727&showalldocuments=0&countryid=19&languageid=1

------- END TRANSMISSION

as long as it works im ok with it anyway the other one costs $50

Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln

• NintendorkNintendork Member Posts: 20
    Hey, ummm... what I want to know is, can you use a controller for the PC version? I've got one and that'd be cool...

A nerd and proud of it!

Do you roleplay in your MMORPG? If not, you are one of those millions of people who irritate me. Congratulations. (My avatar is a Toadutoadu. They're quite common in Mushroom King'diel.)

• DeathStrokeDeathStroke Member UncommonPosts: 41

I use a Nostromo for all of my computer gaming needs, it has a gamepad on it for moving, not an analog stick but it works very well in FPSers, and it has 10 fully programable buttons.  I havent gotten FFXI yet, still trying to decide but when/if I do, Ill be using my Nostromo, best buy I ever made actually

• AldrethAldreth Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Mouse and keyboard seem to work great for me, I just hope they make it so i can bind all actions to any key someday =)

---------------------------------------
    Radagast - Level 14 WHM - Thrag 13 Warrior <Fenrir>
    Retired - [Changes - 50 RR4 Necro, 50 RR8 Scout, 50 RR4 Paly, 50 RR5 Wiz, 50 RR5 Merc <Kay>
    Retired - [EQ - 65 Mage Sold!!, 54 Druid, 54 Monk, 59 Mage] <Bristlebane>
    Retired - [SB - Merlin 56 MM - Yellow 50 Witchunter]

Don't get excited about a tax cut. It's like a mugger giving you back fare for a taxi.

• BLueBEarBLueBEar Member Posts: 242

Originally posted by Misti "So how do you type to talk to people with a controller? Do you have to put it down, type, pick it up, put it down, type, pick it up? Seems like a headache to me and not good when your in the middle of a fight and trying to communicate. The keyboard as they have it set is a pain to get used to but sure seems like a better way to play."

Set macros while in the heat of a battle to communicate.... Only idiots type freehand.

Oh my got!!!
    i neber see a graphic of this before,
    i neber p2p any game before, but this game i must!

• BuggedOutBuggedOut Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by Misti

So how do you type to talk to people with a controller?  Do you have to put it down, type, pick it up, put it down, type, pick it up?  Seems like a headache to me and not good when your in the middle of a fight and trying to communicate.
    The keyboard as they have it set is a pain to get used to but sure seems like a better way to play.

those of us blessed with having two hands, and the physical strength to support the controller whilst typing shouldn't have any problems with it.. i certainly don't.. i purchased, as mentioned, the USB adaptor and PS2 controller from www.liksang.com before I got the game.. so haven't had the misfortune of having to cope with keyboard/mouse combination i've heard horror stories about.