Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 overtakes League of Legends!

Comments

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397
    Originally posted by Braindome
    Originally posted by Shodanas
    What's the big deal? RoS is just 5 days live so it's normal for people to come back to the game, like i did. Things will settle down in a couple of months. 

Yes indeed and when things settle down Hello Kitty Online will reclaim its rightful place again at the top spot and the balance will be restored. image

Bravo, everyone quit replying, the thread is done. We can all stop replying to everything on the site. No one's topping this.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Cromica
    The most surprising thing to me is people still use xfire.

Don't worry, as soon as someone posts that the numbers go down "Xfire's number don't matter!!11" anymore.

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624
    Currently less than 50% of the orignal d3 buyers bought the addon. This is below leagues monthly playerbase even if 100% of the ros buyers still played it.

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Aison2
    Currently less than 50% of the orignal d3 buyers bought the addon. This is below leagues monthly playerbase even if 100% of the ros buyers still played it.

Raptr and xfire are counting the hours players are spending on the game, not the number of active players (huge differences).

In fact, loL has more players (monthly) than total D3 sales (15M or so) because it is a free game.

But it is quite possible that D3 is a lot more addictive and players put in way more hours than LoL players. Even if you play 2 hours of LoL in a month, you are an active player.

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Raptr and xfire are counting the hours players are spending on the game, not the number of active players (huge differences).

In fact, loL has more players (monthly) than total D3 sales (15M or so) because it is a free game.

But it is quite possible that D3 is a lot more addictive and players put in way more hours than LoL players. Even if you play 2 hours of LoL in a month, you are an active player.

This would be my conclusion though it hinges on the assumption that xfire playerbase has a roughly equal % of both playerbases and that those players are representative of the whole.

I think lol in general is more easily quit due to frustration with other players and the concentration it requires to play competitive, d3 is way more laidback in comparison to that.

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Oh look, the required "Look, this game on *service that barely anyone uses here* topped *game here*, it means its so good!" Thread here.

Sorry to break the news but... Xfire isn't widely used and is as accurate of a 'survey' of those who play it as it would be to go to your local super market and poll  "Which brand do you prefer of toilet paper" and using the results as what the entire world feels about that brand over the other. Aka, its useless. 

Originally posted by nariusseldon

This would be my conclusion though it hinges on the assumption that xfire playerbase has a roughly equal % of both playerbases and that those players are representative of the whole.

I think lol in general is more easily quit due to frustration with other players and the concentration it requires to play competitive, d3 is way more laidback in comparison to that.

Also LoL is f2p .. which means they probably got a lot of "trial" players who come in, play a few games, and quit.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    What's the big deal? RoS is just 5 days live so it's normal for people to come back to the game, like i did. Things will settle down in a couple of months. 

or days,seems like its been crazy downhill :/

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I tried and tried but could not anything relevant.  I should know better once I saw xfire.
    Originally posted by PAL-18

or days,seems like its been crazy downhill :/

still higher than WoW.

However, Blizz should be proud. They got 3 games (D3, wow and hearthstone) on the top 10.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Heh, I'm sure all 17 people still using xFire are ecstatic. Raptr has a much larger user base at this point, but it's also declining rather rapidly. There just really isn't a reason to use either program in this day and age. I trust XFire and Raptr statistics less than I trust VGChartz personally, and there is little trust at all there.

RoS is a great addon though, really waiting for it to release on console before I sink my teeth into it, not interested in the PC version really. Lots of cool gameplay footage out there has me eagerly awaiting it for my next big console addiction.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by WabbaWay
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Gorwe

The mediocre game overtakes yet another mediocre game on the mediocre site...

Do you Know what I say in situations like this?

"Meh, whatever..."

Well, I don't play League of Legends but the game has more depth than 20 MMOs put together. Not exactly what I call mediocre. Not even going to talk about Dota 2.

Okay, let's get one thing straight here, Dota 2 has more depth than LoL - and I say that having played several thousand games of LoL. LoL was intentionally a dumbed-down version of the traditional DotA game because the developers of LoL didn't like mechanics such as denying kills, destructible environment and leveling stats equal to spells. Is LoL a more popular game than Dota? Yes. Is it deep? Not compared to other games out there, no. Does that mean you can't be a lot better than the other 99% who play? also no.

More depth than 20 MMOs? What MMOs? There's a wild difference between games here... Put LoL together with Dota 2 and you still can't compare the depth of the two combined with MMOs such as Eve online.

The PvP in LoL has more depth than any MMO. Reason is the 60+ heroes with greatly different skills and play styles. Eve is more a spreadsheet than a game so yeah, I guess a spreadsheet can have more depth than a computer game, but why would that matter? It is still a spreadsheet.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

1. Xfire sadly is no longer representative for anything these days. Seriously a game like COD ... 4(!) most played on PC? If you think that please go check the gaming market.

The above is ALSO the reason why I never believed the number one position for ANY game on that list as through the years the XFire user base itself crumbled to 3% of its player base over 8 years already.

I think D3 is played a LOT though and it will be played a lot, simply because it is a good game without the need to keep playing it constantly.

2. LOL/DOTA2 and other dotagames are too limited for LOTS of players these days though...

Let me explain: a Dota game that would have challenging  cooperative PVE content on top of the PvP would have MUCH more active players even.

LOL says they have 40 million active accounts ... But everyone knows the actual active player base is much smaller than this as they simply ignore the PVE casual base.

3. As a conclusion I think Diablo 3 with a PvP ranking and competition would out grow ANY traditional dota game VERY fast. The problem is that Blizzard has no clue how to deliver it (armor stats problems etc...).

Or ... perhaps Blizzard thinks they can eat from both tables: D3 for PVE and HOTS for PvP. I think they are wrong.

The D3 engine turns circles around any Dota game (that includes HOTS) and so this loss of a new possible ground breaking game mode is really bad/sad.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886
    lel dieblu pls

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

Originally posted by Yamota

The PvP in LoL has more depth than any MMO. Reason is the 60+ heroes with greatly different skills and play styles. Eve is more a spreadsheet than a game so yeah, I guess a spreadsheet can have more depth than a computer game, but why would that matter? It is still a spreadsheet.

What ? LOL has only one map and no PVE at all... Let alone a persistent world. More depth is also very questionable as SC2 offers much more options in units and possible combo constructions.

I also think that LOL is far less played than people believe (see my Xfire post above this one). It is HEAVELY played by a lot of PvP nerds though and it is popular in that circle, but of those 40 million+ accounts ever created I doubt their active player base surpasses 5 million anywhere.

It is easy too jump into but the game has no other attraction than buying heroes and go PvP ... Duh.

Why? The game is directed to the PvP crowd and that bunch of people play LONG and HARD, but they are not in the same League of players like pure casual games.

Originally posted by kairel182

This may be late by this point but screw it, this is so stupid it has to be addressed.

Xfire hasn't been relevant for, what, a decade?  If you truly want to track interest/popularity, check Twitch.  It's probably the best representation of popularity and over all game play, though not always accurate.  Perhaps I'm just promoting arguably the best entertainment when not playing a video game, but regardless...

Even if you combined all of Blizzard's games, it still wouldn't equal League...

Twitch is hardly ANY relevant either. It is enough that one or two streamers or an event is shown and your game is rocketed into top 5.

So even 2 or 3 streamers can already make a difference.

Examples?: Twitch plays Pokemon Blue: top 3 for weeks.

Don't tell me Pokemon Blue is played by more than 100K worldwide in 2014 ...

I bet you the total number of Farmville 1/2 beats LOL with a factor of ... 10 (!) worldwide.

So Twitch is even more stupid than Xfire as the stats can depend on ONE stream.

@ Above the total number of Blizzard players over all their games will dwarf LOL by the same reasoning really. In fact I already think that D3 alone has more active players than LOL.

Originally posted by sportsfan

What ? LOL has only one map and no PVE at all... Let alone a persistent world. More depth is also very questionable as SC2 offers much more options in units and possible combo constructions.

I also think that LOL is far less played than people believe (see my Xfire post above this one). It is HEAVELY played by a lot of PvP nerds though and it is popular in that circle, but of those 40 million+ accounts ever created I doubt their active player base surpasses 5 million anywhere.

It is easy too jump into but the game has no other attraction than buying heroes and go PvP ... Duh.

Why? The game is directed to the PvP crowd and that bunch of people play LONG and HARD, but they are not in the same League of players like pure casual games.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/01/27/riots-league-of-legends-reveals-astonishing-27-million-daily-players-67-million-monthly/

Apply cold to burned area...

Why would it need PvE?? It just doesnt make sense, its like  wanting PvE in CS

Say what you want but League of legends is one of the most complex PvP games out there, thats why the meta changes every few weeks

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

Originally posted by Pigozz

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/01/27/riots-league-of-legends-reveals-astonishing-27-million-daily-players-67-million-monthly/

Apply cold to burned area...

Why would it need PvE?? It just doesnt make sense, its like  wanting PvE in CS

Say what you want but League of legends is one of the most complex PvP games out there, thats why the meta changes every few weeks

No way they have 27 million daily players. Far too niche for that number to stick.

I say: 5 million daily at best. Those are marketing figures and not proven at all.

Besides they had a total revenue of 600 million dollars in 2013. WOW alone made 900 million dollars in that year ... with a bare 7.5 million players.

Go figure... The proof is Always in the $$$ signs.

Blabla is one thing (any game these days claims multi million players): but revenue reports are the real deal.

So if they HAD 9 times (monthly) the players of WOW, why would they arrive at only 60% of the revenue with ... each Hero acquired costing 7 dollars a piece....

PR talks are BS. Always has been. The only thing that is the REAL deal is the number of dollars under the bookkeeping line.

And that says that LOL is bringing in 40% of total Blizzard revenue. Quite good, but hardly beating Blizzard games total.

---

Talking about Xfire (with COD 4 (lol) at number one) or 5 streamers on Twitch or the usual PR BS talk is quite nonsense when viewing the revenue really ...

tldr: the revenue talks truth.

No way they have 27 million daily players. Far too niche for that number to stick.

I say: 5 million daily at best. Those are marketing figures and not proven at all.

Besides they had a total revenue of 600 million dollars in 2013. WOW alone made 900 million dollars in that year ... with a bare 7.5 million players.

Blabla is one thing (any game these days claims multi million players): but revenue reports are the real deal.

So if they HAD 9 times (monthly) the players of WOW, why would they arrive at only 60% of the revenue with ... each Hero acquired costing 7 dollars a piece....

PR talks are BS. Always has been. The only thing that is the REAL deal is the number of dollars under the bookkeeping line.

And that says that LOL is bringing in 40% of total Blizzard revenue. Quite good, but hardly beating Blizzard games total.

---

Talking about Xfire (with COD 4 (lol) at number one) or 5 streamers on Twitch or the usual PR BS talk is quite nonsense when viewing the revenue really ...

Bro, do you even logic? You know wow is subscription based while Lol is completely free to play with 0 P2W options???

And forbes column is totally implausible

Go back to cave troll

---

Bro, do you even logic? You know wow is subscription based while Lol is completely free to play with 0 P2W options???

Go back to cave troll

As stated the ONLY truth out there is $$$ signs, not some PR talk and even less idiotic Forbes student posters.

----- > If LOL had 9(!) times the monthly players has as WOW than it would generate MORE revenue than WOW, subscription or not.

But it doesn't, far from it even, it had 50% ... LESS revenue than a 7.5 million player base  or 600 million dollars yearly revenue compared to 900 million revenue from WOW.

I worked in the media world: I know how these BS PR talk works.

But of course book keeping always shows the real deal on ANY product.

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161

---

Go back to cave troll

As stated the ONLY truth out there is $$$ signs, not some PR talk and even less idiotic Forbes student posters.

----- > If LOL had 9(!) times the monthly players has as WOW than it would generate MORE revenue than WOW, subscription or not.

But it doesn't, far from it even, it had 50% ... LESS revenue than a 7.5 million player base  or 600 million dollars yearly revenue compared to 900 million revenue from WOW.

I worked in the media world: I know how these BS PR talk works.

But of course book keeping always shows the real deal on ANY product.

I think the Forbes article is plausible. One thing you may have not considered is that LoL is played worldwide and is free-to-play. The barrier to entry is nil, whereas WoW has a box-price and sub.

Compound the fact that LoL is F2P and accessible, you'll have your audience--be it casuals or hardcore. And the reason why it's popular because it's currently the leader in eSports. Just look at Twitch.

Bookkeeping wise, LoL is impressively healthy for a F2P game. But I bet you it wouldn't have the same revenue if it were B2P or P2P.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

month later, D3 shiny expansion worn off  but D3 is still doing well

LOL #2

D3   #4

https://www.xfire.com/games

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

---

Go back to cave troll

LOL has 0 P2W options? ARe you kidding me? LoL is P2W as you can spend money to get REAL in-game advantage. Lets see, without spending money, you have an extremely limited pool of heroes UNLESS you grind for a few thousand hours and you still won't have all the heroes unlocked. Another huge in-game advantage which your money can buy are runes! Of course you can grind for ages to get these things but unless you pay you will be at a disadvantage for most of your playtime.

DOTA is the real deal! 0 P2W options.

I can't believe this thread is still going. Completely forgot about it :D Btw guys, you diss xfire and then you go on to say that twitch and raptr are better? Really? Very few people use xfire, raptr or twitch. Why would you actually use it, when they don't offer you anything worthwhile ;) Steam would be a much more objective programme if it actually included all of the major games - Blizzard games, LoL etc.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by fivoroth

---

Go back to cave troll

LOL has 0 P2W options? ARe you kidding me? LoL is P2W as you can spend money to get REAL in-game advantage. Lets see, without spending money, you have an extremely limited pool of heroes UNLESS you grind for a few thousand hours and you still won't have all the heroes unlocked. Another huge in-game advantage which your money can buy are runes! Of course you can grind for ages to get these things but unless you pay you will be at a disadvantage for most of your playtime.

DOTA is the real deal! 0 P2W options.

I can't believe this thread is still going. Completely forgot about it :D Btw guys, you diss xfire and then you go on to say that twitch and raptr are better? Really? Very few people use xfire, raptr or twitch. Why would you actually use it, when they don't offer you anything worthwhile ;) Steam would be a much more objective programme if it actually included all of the major games - Blizzard games, LoL etc.

Steam is also bloatware ran by a company with the worst customer support I have ever seen. I'm really hoping Trion's platform that supports indie developers much better puts them off their top spot. There is no plausible explanation for the piss poor level of service Steam offers, other than greed.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by Nadia

month later, D3 shiny expansion worn off  but D3 is still doing well

LOL #2

D3   #4

https://www.xfire.com/games

No surprise here. The game is really addicting and fun. I can keep running 15 min Nephalem Rifts.