Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks like a great game. But don't look at the Kickstarter goals to what you get now.

kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

I was like looking at the kickstarter page and was like man I sort of hate all the features for the more you pay but I thought heck I will give them some support. Of course that has ended but thankfully they have it on their site and I was looking forward to the $100 package.

Just alone the $100 does not even give you $100 store credit. Agh. 

I'm sure I will get flamed for this but darn. It just put me 100% off of the game. I don't want to see another star citizen game where even at 40 million they need more ways to gain more money and now they just wave at a monitor for 1 million hehe.

Sorry just had to let out some steam. Great looking game and got crushed at comparing old with the new packages. 

I guess for me when you keep trying to ask for more money and keep increasing the old package costs there might be a bit of a redflag funding issue coming up.

SNIP

Comments

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I think it is sad that games that actually try to create a virtual world with reward vs consequence are so unpopular.  People want easy and don't care if they are rewarded or if they have freedom outside a linear handheld path.  So games like this have to resort to asking their potential future playerbase for money up front.  I just don't understand.
  • Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260

Kickstarter definitely has it's pro's and con's, and you see these all the time when it comes to video games. The one that irks me is Double Fine who have had to go back a few times to ask for money to finish the game even after they achieved the amount they "needed". 

As for in game perks and whatnot, it's best to just look at Kickstarter as a place where you can donate your money to help get a game made. It might sound cruel, but they don't owe you shit. 

• FauneFaune Member Posts: 4
    I completely disagree with the previous commenter.  I think what people fail to remember (and its so easy to, seeing as anyone can start a business online now) is that these are in fact businesses trying to make products to sell.  What happened to treating your customer with respect and more importantly, getting what you pay for?  It baffles me that these things are so often forgotten.  Kickstarter isn't exactly a charity and the majority of the companies on that website understand this (hence the whole idea of giving items when you pay them money to help them make their product).  An easy and common way to explain this idea is 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours'.  So yes, you should expect something if you pay them money.  Again, Kickstarter isn't meant to be a charity, its a resource for people to get a jump start... and a great resource at that.  The OP has a valid complaint, one that I've found myself scratching my head about with other Kickstarter projects people have put up.  At this point I'm just ranting, but I'm gonna do it because I'm on a roll lol.  If you were face to face with an investor, pitching your idea to them, their biggest concern is usually "Am I going to profit from this investment?".  People that fund the projects on Kickstarter are in fact investors.  Of course they should expect something. 
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

I have a very sneaking suspicion that Above and Beyond are either in talks with, or have concluded negotiations with Sony Online Entertainment.

I believe that some point after this latest kickstarter is concluded, they will announce either a buyout by Sony or some Faustian bargain with them a la BioWare/EA.

I can't imagine that Smedley would announce that they have a very SWG'ish MMO on the way all the while knowing that this game is in development.  Why spend all the Smed-bux on creating a SWG clone from scratch when this game is almost out of the Alpha development phase?  It would make much more sense to buy this game out or partner with them toward the end of their initial dev cycle than start a new competing game from scratch.

That's just the conspiracy theorist in me... and also why I'm not investing in the kickstarter.

You see, it's win-win for SOE if I'm right.  They don't have to spend the money to develop the game because consumers like us are cracking open our wallets to make sure that the devs finish the game up.  Then they swoop in at the last moment, polish the game up a bit with a small amount of Sony investment and release it for profit.

• cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by kanechart

I was like looking at the kickstarter page and was like man I sort of hate all the features for the more you pay but I thought heck I will give them some support. Of course that has ended but thankfully they have it on their site and I was looking forward to the $100 package.

Just alone the $100 does not even give you $100 store credit. Agh. 

I'm sure I will get flamed for this but darn. It just put me 100% off of the game. I don't want to see another star citizen game where even at 40 million they need more ways to gain more money and now they just wave at a monitor for 1 million hehe.

Sorry just had to let out some steam. Great looking game and got crushed at comparing old with the new packages. 

I guess for me when you keep trying to ask for more money and keep increasing the old package costs there might be a bit of a redflag funding issue coming up.

Can you name an example of an indie dev team with no external funding that did kickstarter the correct way?  I feel sometimes people have un-realistic expectations and expect devs feed their family on 0 income for 3-5 years while they develop the game full time and then charge a sub so the few hundred / thousand players that were following the game for all those years would be willing to pay up front for.

Indie dev teams need f2p to bring in the masses and a cash shop to catch whales to pay for development.  Otherwise you wouln't have the half dozen sandbox mmos you see out now and we would all be stuck with themepark mmos grinding quest hub to quest hub.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Faune
     If you were face to face with an investor, pitching your idea to them, their biggest concern is usually "Am I going to profit from this investment?".  People that fund the projects on Kickstarter are in fact investors.  Of course they should expect something. 

Incorrect. Kickstarter is not investment. All they should expect is what they were promised when they pledged (and I'm not even sure if it's been tested in court if they can actually even get that if the company they backed goes under or disappears).

• FauneFaune Member Posts: 4
    Actually you're incorrect, as that is exactly what an investor expects (exactly what they were told they were going to get per the contract/agreement).  I think you should research what an investor is lol.  As I stated before concerning Kickstarter, as an INVESTOR in a product, you should get what you were told you would get before you invested.
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Actually you're incorrect, as that is exactly what an investor expects (exactly what they were told they were going to get per the contract/agreement).  I think you should research what an investor is lol.  As I stated before concerning Kickstarter, as an INVESTOR in a product, you should get what you were told you would get before you invested.

Kickstarter isn't an investment, it's more like a donation with very good (potentially) rewards for donating.  If you view it as an investment you are in for a world of disappointment as most Kickstarters either are very late (sometimes 2 or 3X more days than their proposed delivery date), fail to deliver at all with no refund, or don't quite deliver the tiers or product they advertised.  Don't back anything on Kickstarter as an "investment" and expect ROI.

If you view Kickstarter as just a donation to possibly have a game (or any other product) made that you might enjoy and possibly get cool rewards and bonuses for doing so, then you'll be far less disappointing.  When that package arrives in the mail (or codes in the e-mail) it's a great feeling.

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684

No, I'm sorry but you are the one mistaken here. An investor might expect something, but the outcome is not guaranteed. Hence why they are "investors". Investing in anything is done "at your own risk." Indeed, all they should expect is what was promised at investment. You are not entitled to something more. 

Kickstarter is not a formal investment. Its done rather informally and is pretty much donations with the potential of a reward. 

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Been in hardcore grind mode and hadn't checked in here in a while. With regards to store credit. That level received $60 in store credit and a $60 membership package. So your getting $120 in value, in addition to the other perks (Beta 1, Tokens, Headstart, Title).
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

I have a very sneaking suspicion that Above and Beyond are either in talks with, or have concluded negotiations with Sony Online Entertainment.

I believe that some point after this latest kickstarter is concluded, they will announce either a buyout by Sony or some Faustian bargain with them a la BioWare/EA.

I can't imagine that Smedley would announce that they have a very SWG'ish MMO on the way all the while knowing that this game is in development.  Why spend all the Smed-bux on creating a SWG clone from scratch when this game is almost out of the Alpha development phase?  It would make much more sense to buy this game out or partner with them toward the end of their initial dev cycle than start a new competing game from scratch.

That's just the conspiracy theorist in me... and also why I'm not investing in the kickstarter.

You see, it's win-win for SOE if I'm right.  They don't have to spend the money to develop the game because consumers like us are cracking open our wallets to make sure that the devs finish the game up.  Then they swoop in at the last moment, polish the game up a bit with a small amount of Sony investment and release it for profit.

Then the kickstarter is working? 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher