Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a single-player RPG with focus on replay

sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

If a mod feels this would be more appropriate in LFG, that would be fine too, I wasn't sure which subforum would be best.

Anyway.  What I am looking for is a single-player RPG in which you are intended to start over repeatedly, because during the course of the game you can unlock many options that modify the starting conditions.  Probably it would be considered an interactive story game, and successfully completing little story segments or battles would be rewarded with achievements, and those are what would unlock the options I was talking about: alternative avatars, hidden perks, starting your new game + with higher stats than the default, earning one of several possible endings if you survive to the end, etc.  As far as platform goes, I have a PC, a PS3, a PS2, and anything older than the could be emulated.

I'm looking for this kind of game because there's a whole group of fanfictions inspired by this type of game, but I haven't been able to find actual games like this to play.

https://www.fanfiction.net/community/The-Video-Game-Plot/105176/

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.

Comments

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407

Sounds like a lot of the old Bioware games.

Dragon Age, KOTOR, maybe even Mass Effect series.

Just a thought.

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    If you're a fan of South Park, Id highly recommend the Stick of Truth.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    The Witcher 1 and 2. Dragon Age.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Skyrim for PC + Nexus Mods = Eternal RPG'ing.

• Dampiel_szDampiel_sz Member UncommonPosts: 73

Some of my favorite single player RPGs seem to fit what you are looking for

KOTOR 1,2

Witcher 1,2

Dragon Age 1,2

Mass Effect (any of them)

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

You could play ESO. 

• zytinzytin Member UncommonPosts: 202
    Vampire the Masquerade -- bloodlines was a good one.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Dragon Age - I looked this series up because it seemed like the kind of colorful fantasy setting I'm in the mood for, but I'm confused.  From what I was reading it seemed like the achievements didn't unlock anything within the game, only were useless online trophies.  And I also read that there isn't a new game+ feature, only the ability to import a character from an earlier game into a later game.  If these things are true, then it doesn't fit what I was asking for at all.  So did I misunderstand, or what??
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • whiteimpwhiteimp Member Posts: 7
    Chrono Trigger, multi-endings, new game +, one of the greatest rpgs ever created.
  • FuerchtegottFuerchtegott Member Posts: 79

While Dragon Age has several endings, multiple-classes and alternative biographical backgrounds to choose from, I found the level design waaaaaaaay too linear and restrictive to be interested in multiple play-throughs.

As someone above me said, I'd say modded Skyrim for PC is a safe and in my opinion the best bet. Also, modded Fallout: New Vegas could be interesting as well.

• FTL has the features you look for, although I wouldn't call it an RPG.