Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To buy or give it a miss.

2»

Comments

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

You will enjoy it for a while, but it won't be your new home. I think SWOTOR was worth the money 110%. I quit about 2 weeks after hitting max level when it first came out though. I would buy it and play it again if I had to redo the decision. ESO is in the same boat. It's a fun theme park, but once you've been on the same rides so many times you get sick of waiting in line for your turn.

Personally, I got a refund after the dupe exploit. I enjoyed it, but I had no illusions of it being more than 1-2 months of enjoyment.

I've been here a while...
  • ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211

I'm certainly enjoying the game--both as an Elder Scrolls game and an MMO but as others have said, if you are on the fence, perhaps wait a month or so for some of the kinks to be worked out.  I play ESO in small segments to enjoy the journey.   Being such a quest driven game filled with tons of lore, I could be quickly burned out if I tried rushing though it.  I can't play the game in big chunks of time for some reason compared to some other MMOs out there.  Not sure what it is since I enjoy the game.  I sort of did the same with Skyrim too---played it in increments to enjoy the stories and atmosphere.  I know that the slower pace of the game and all of the quests could drive some players nuts. 

There are a few things though that I definitely don't like MMO wise.   I'm not a big fan of the whole auction house system.   I also have mixed emotions on the mega server concept.   I am far from the veteran ranks being only level 22 with my main however I can see frustration leveling through just quests.  I'm a big believer in allowing players alternative leveling means. 

As an MMO, I'm also concerned about longevity but I share this concern for any themepark game.   Don't know if ESO will reel me in for years or whether it will be for a few months.  Much to be seen.

If you liked the previous Elder Scrolls games, I would say go for it.  If you found them bland or boring, then ESO may not be the game for you.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Wait a few months, they still have tons of stuff to fix.

imageimage
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    Wait a few months, they still have tons of stuff to fix.

Meh I might be run over by a bus on my way to work tomorrow.  Given the drivers in the town I live in that's actually a much larger chance than one might think.  If I think something is enjoyable I am more inclined to just do it now rather than what for sometime where it might be better or cheaper.  ESO is worth it to me to be playing today.  Maybe it's different for you and that's fine but it was well worth the $60 I spent on it so far and will be worth a few months of sub's at least.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Originally posted by Rattenmann
    Originally posted by Daxamar
    Originally posted by alkarionlog
    if you missed the betas and all, I say wait, give then time for at least fix the bugs or the f2p will hit, if you are that bored and don't care to toss money, you can try, but serious have better games around

What MMO is out there, New, that is as good, or better than ESO?

Dont say Wildstar. I cant stand the graphic style. Gives me a headache just to look at.

Why does a game have to be new to be a consideration? About 50% of the "old" games are better then ESO.

Played a lot of the old games, they werent THAT good. 50%? lol!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Just to many bugs for me.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    if you missed the betas and all, I say wait, give then time for at least fix the bugs or the f2p will hit, if you are that bored and don't care to toss money, you can try, but serious have better games around

Dont say Wildstar. I cant stand the graphic style. Gives me a headache just to look at.

Why does a game have to be new to be a consideration? About 50% of the "old" games are better then ESO.

EQ2 is still cutting edge, games are just now adding features its had for years, like player made dungeons and some features being talked about like player generated items are in EQ2 now. If I didnt like Wildstar so much I would be playing that till EQN came out =-) You dont even need to pay anything to get started, full game till you get to the last few expansions. 

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

The issue you seem to be having is the past. Obviously not 50% of all games where better then ESO at launch. But they are NOW.

I could use an excuse and say "see, those games needed time as well!". But why would i play a game that is less fun NOW if i can just play another game that already fixed their mess from launch? And ESO really did A LOT of funky stuff that just screams "they never did their homework." all over the place.

Seriously, most of the issues ESO has could have been fixed in the design phase or very early alpha. They just ignored the past and it looks like you do as well. Games happened before ESO, no reason to ignore their faults, fixes or good things, just because you want your game to be 100% differend.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by ChicagoCub
    Wait for F2P in the advise I'm giving everyone.   There's no reason to be in the game now rather than later so save yourself some frustration and some money.

and when its f2p the next advise will be: "OMG its so p2w you can buy items in a shop imagine that, omg this thieves! dont play it at all".

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

It has to be new because I'm done with the old games. Why I'm done with the old games is because they are themeparks and once you're at level cap there's nothing else to do than grind gear in tiny end-game pocket.

Yes ESO will fall into the same category as soon as I've spent a while at max level, or more likely once I'm done with the story of DFC and EHP, but it's still new and I'm not there yet so at least it's an option unlike the old games.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

I personally think it's worth playing. However, it's very "quest driven" and additionally, you need to go exploring to find your quests.

There are some main story lines that will lead you here and there but most of the content is found by exploring.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TyrozTyroz Member Posts: 23

Quite a lot of useful information has been posted. (Not the wait for F2P crap.) I love that those that seem to be having the most fun in the game are actually exploring and not rushing to the finish line.

I notice ESO is being called themepark a lot. My main gripe with this is I don't want to buy a game (again, £70 is quite a bit.) to be standing about town for the majority of the game while waiting for dungeons etc. Is this what I've to expect from this? I know quite a lot are talking about the crafting and personally, I love crafting, farming and all that time consuming stuff. I hate being fed like a child and rather have appreciation for my gear and character.

Most people seem to have forgotten that we play these games as MMORPGs and not MMOThemeparks. If they can't reach max level ASAP, be top tiered geared after a few weeks and always win at PvP with OP Classes and exploits then they aren't happy.

I want a leveling experience that actually takes a bit of effort, farming for stuff that actually matters (even if only to craft and or sell.), PvE dungeons/raids that can't be beaten in a day after initial release and PvP that requires some degree of skill. If ESO can't deliver in at least a few of these then in all honesty it's not for me, but reading a few of these posts I do have some hope for it. 

Also @72 votes 44.4% Yes, 55.6% No for those that don't want to or can't be bothered voting. 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

If you want to get to endgame and soon as possible to do endgame content like dungeon farming and raiding, this game is not for you. 

If you don't enjoy slow levelling which is focused on quests which try hard to give you a compelling story, this game is not for you.

If you want to grind mobs ad nauseam, then this game is not for you.

If you want a sandbox game, this game is not for you. But then again this whole sandbox MMO thing seems hypothetical, as there are no sandbox MMOs except that thing called EVE but that's completely different to all RPGs.

If you want competitive, skill based PVP, this game is not for you.

IF you want a PvP experience on a massive scale which boils down to massive zergs, this game is for you.

If you enjoy exploring a huge game world, enjoy questing with some decent lore and you are interested in the lore of TES, then this game is for you.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    +1 ^^. I would only add:

If you are looking for an exotic and fresh locations and mobs this game is not for you.

If you enjoy the semi realistic approach to the virtual landscape and don't mind fighting mostly humanoids this game is for you.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    +1 ^^. I would only add:

If you are looking for an exotic and fresh locations and mobs this game is not for you.

If you enjoy the semi realistic approach to the virtual landscape and don't mind fighting mostly humanoids this game is for you.

You do mostly fight human baddies not 'exotic mobs', I have seen some real barrel scraping by posters to find things wrong with TESO. But that takes the Highrock biscuit. :)

There is this funny thing in MMOS you get called lore, there are a lot of monsters in TESO lore, they could have put a new one around every corner. But lore is more than that, what possible reason could there be for such a menagerie of monsters to be strewn across the landscape? The mobs in game make sense, where they are makes sense and fighting them makes sense. That's good lore and story for you.

I have fought everything from giant spiders to ogres, Daedra kights to nightmare Daedra, goblins to werewolves. And they have always been somewhere that fitted into lore and story.

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Seriously you can wait till the implement more fixes and the game gets better. I decided to do that.

Which is what I am doing as well.  The benefits of waiting a month or two exceed jumping into buggy launches.  I'm also curious to see what they do with their Cash Shop.  Generally, I'm waiting it out until they activate their version of Darkness Falls and resolve some issues, as well as letting the community and economy stabilize.  It's just a little too chaotic for me at this point.

I voted "No", for "Not just now" as well.

The game can be fun, but right now a lot is going in the way of your fun. So I would wait and gauge the level of satisfaction with bugs, phasing, etc.

I personally have purchased an imperial edition (with early access), but right now I am waiting for them to fix more bugs before I use my initial "free" 30 days.

• Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219

Give the game a year; it's going to take that long to fix what's wrong with the game.

The little bugs can be fixed relatively quickly, but the core design issues are going to take a lot of time.  Phasing doesn't work right.  The megaserver concept doesn't work right.  Client-server response is broken; I'm 50ms from the server and I saw significant delays between keypress/mouseclick and event response in game.  Since my ping time is that low, it's not network lag, it's server processing.  Key NPCs and items disappear or become unresponsive.

The issues go on and on.  A lot of people say they never experience any of these issues; quite frankly, I don't believe them, but I'm not going to challenge their integrity.  If they've been lucky, then great!

I say a year because I'm using SW-TOR as an example.  The SW-TOR roll-out was a huge bust.  I'm playing it right now as a time-killer, and even though I don't like BioWare's story-based games (with all of the never-ending voice-overs) I will say that I have encountered NO BUGS and there are an incredible lot of different things to do to kill time.  Perfect game?  Hell no.  Mindless in many ways?  Hell yes (typical BioWare game).

So, if the amateur-hour crew at BioWare-Austin could pull that POS together and turn it into a decent game, the amateur-hour crew at ZOS ought to be able to do the same with ESO.  ESO, quite frankly, does not have as many different things to do, so there can't be as many different things to fix.

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

Buy it .. Even with the pita maintenance of late and the bugs it is definitely worth it.

Get it from a cd key site and you won't be paying £70 .. I generally use kinguin but others may have it cheaper