Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Archeage believe the hype

DeathmachinePTDeathmachinePT Member UncommonPosts: 119

Just to point that to all former SWG Vets archeage is one of the closest thing they will find with swg of course the setting is not the same but the mechanics, the large open world with no invisible walls, the ability to mix multiple professions and everyone having the ability to craft is a big plus, a lot of mechanics do promote groupping and pvp.

The game is also very big and complex more than SWG, with a lot of things to learn and do, from having farms, growings plants/pets...

Althought the game is still on alpha you can play if you pay upfront around 140$ it might not be worth to everyone even myself(my brother bought it and I had the chance to try) but you will see a mix of EQ2+SWG+SWG2

This is just the heads up that archeage will be a step further into good and innovative MMO's and every SWG fan that believe in the potential in SWG mechanics will be happy, Archeage is still on alpha so there is still lot of korean audio, some zones still lack npcs, content, the crafting process it self is not in par with swg/eq2 or FF realm reborn but what leads to it in terms of resources is much better and makes a significant impact on it, other features get in the way of immersion but in the end and in constrast with SWG launch where you had no initial space flight or vehicle use on Archeage here you have all features.

Pretty sure the future of MMOs will be sandbox...

PS: you can't believe how cool riding horses and sailing is XD (have not tested gliding), also small thing like npcs react to your present or to combat if its happening around them it's pretty handsome.

ASROCK Z97 E-ITX 
Intel i7 4790k @ 4.5Ghz+KrakenX41
Gigabyte 1070 8GB Mini OC
16GB Crucial 1333mhz 1.3V
SWG 8 Year Vet, WW2OL 8 Year Vet.
Aka Darksparrow Rancorheart(tempest/farstar), Fxmkorp

Comments

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

Just to point out to all the SWG vets like me, that have played the released version of AA in Japan, this game is NOT close to SWG.

While the crafting is good in AA, it isn't SWG good, the housing limits in AA is horrible with the F2P conversion on top of it and yet even worse...

Trion has announced they are only removing the daily crafting limit put in place by the F2P conversion in Korea which means they are keeping some of the P2W features which makes this game so unlike SWG you shouldn't bother unless you like PvP focused games where people can pay real money to get an advantage over you, not to mention the money = house lot BS Trion is adding in.

Tiller
  • DeathmachinePTDeathmachinePT Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Originally posted by Tbau

Just to point out to all the SWG vets like me, that have played the released version of AA in Japan, this game is NOT close to SWG.

While the crafting is good in AA, it isn't SWG good, the housing limits in AA is horrible with the F2P conversion on top of it and yet even worse...

Trion has announced they are only removing the daily crafting limit put in place by the F2P conversion in Korea which means they are keeping some of the P2W features which makes this game so unlike SWG you shouldn't bother unless you like PvP focused games where people can pay real money to get an advantage over you, not to mention the money = house lot BS Trion is adding in.

I can't say too much about AA because I just started played today and reached level 10 but I had the same feelings compared to the first time I login in SWG.

Oh yes and it has chat bubbles!!!!!

And honestly thank god for house limits, SWG player housing was shit how it was implemented with no cons or real costs to maintain them on the world so after a couple years entire planets like tattooine/coronet and other were more like a seemless roadless city.

I think Repopulation has the best mechanic thought which is cheap instance based housing and expensive world housing, for me player housing and player cities was one of the worst things in SWG, it destroyed the world the sense of wonder and unknown and all the immersion that came with it.

ASROCK Z97 E-ITX 

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

I really don't think the P2W arguement is valid here.  All you get from subbing is the ability to own certain land and labor points accumulation quicker than others because f2p members won't generate them when logged out, moral of the story everyone gets labor points eventually so it doesn't make for a p2w arguement. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    AA has forced PvP with potential looting. SWG had consensual PvP (flagging system) and even had a neutral faction if PvP wasn't desired at all. If a PvP optional or PvE server was gong to be offered, I'd consider it, but there is little doubt that it is a risk vs. reward PvP sandbox MMO like others we've seen, but with more bells and whistles.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

i think aa has some amazing features, but it has also some bad ones...

the criminal system needs reworking as crime isnt really interesting

the combat is boring - it needs modernized action combat

they quests are boring - we need a new approach here as well...

i think the game has really potential but it would have been so much better if it was developped with the same features from a western developper (no offense) - but the asia-ness is kinda killing it a bit (costumes, grinding, combat etc.)

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Im going to have to completely disagree respectfully. Myself coming from UO,SWG,EVE have had a pretty boring lackluster experience paying the Archeage alpha. I don't think this game is the closest thing on the market to SWG. I don't think this game could hold a candle to how SWG was in the old days. I personally have already quit and went back to EVE because it to me is the closest thing to SWG on the market.
  • DeathmachinePTDeathmachinePT Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Originally posted by Mavolence
    Im going to have to completely disagree respectfully. Myself coming from UO,SWG,EVE have had a pretty boring lackluster experience paying the Archeage alpha. I don't think this game is the closest thing on the market to SWG. I don't think this game could hold a candle to how SWG was in the old days. I personally have already quit and went back to EVE because it to me is the closest thing to SWG on the market.

In many aspects AA is better than SWG, if people actual remember SWG from the first months to last years.

As SWG or EVE AA gets better the more you played compared to EVE, AA also a less stepper learning curve and allows you to have way more fun from the get go.

Seriously gliding, shipping, diving, gathering resources for making items, huge size bosses, horses, pets, climb trees or ropes and so much more it's very impressive to see all this features in just one game from day one.

ASROCK Z97 E-ITX 

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    moral of the story everyone gets labor points eventually so it doesn't make for a p2w arguement. 

uh, getting an enormous boost in LP regeneration is a major deal and could be consider p2w, except subbing is not p2w.  sub2win maybe, but thats a perfectly valid model and how all f2p games should work imo to cut down cash shop reliance.

However, with it being likely that Trion sells LP potions then there is a p2w aspect to ArcheAge.  How big of one depends on the cooldown of the potions.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    moral of the story everyone gets labor points eventually so it doesn't make for a p2w arguement. 

uh, getting an enormous boost in LP regeneration is a major deal and could be consider p2w, except subbing is not p2w.  sub2win maybe, but thats a perfectly valid model and how all f2p games should work imo to cut down cash shop reliance.

However, with it being likely that Trion sells LP potions then there is a p2w aspect to ArcheAge.  How big of one depends on the cooldown of the potions.

Unless you are a dedicated crafter from what I've seen you really don't have to worry about running out of LP.  Top end gear doesn't require that you have boat loads of LP either.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

The above is pretty accurate., SWG vets can also play Aion, if you haven't yet,  and see what AA is all about.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by DeathmachinePT
    Originally posted by Mavolence

In many aspects AA is better than SWG, if people actual remember SWG from the first months to last years.

As SWG or EVE AA gets better the more you played compared to EVE, AA also a less stepper learning curve and allows you to have way more fun from the get go.

Seriously gliding, shipping, diving, gathering resources for making items, huge size bosses, horses, pets, climb trees or ropes and so much more it's very impressive to see all this features in just one game from day one.

I"ll just have to agree to disagree, I find EVE immensley more fun than AA and SWG which i still play on the EMU is still more fun than AA in its unfinished state. Just a matter of opinion and doesn't matter so cheers.

• WraithstarWraithstar Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Kazara
    AA has forced PvP with potential looting. SWG had consensual PvP (flagging system) and even had a neutral faction if PvP wasn't desired at all. If a PvP optional or PvE server was gong to be offered, I'd consider it, but there is little doubt that it is a risk vs. reward PvP sandbox MMO like others we've seen, but with more bells and whistles.

PvP is not forced. Stay out of the warzones and you are fine. it`s that simple. now the game is based around PvP so they promote it (Which they should) if you really want to carebare it up, you can, but you could just play WoW and not have to worry about anything.

PvP,crafting and ocean exploration makes the game so amazing.

I hate when people post about a game, they haven`t even tried.

Also you talk about risk vs reward. at this moment there is really no risk when it comes to pvp, but you can get huge rewards. like taking out a players tradeship, with 10+ trade packs on it. or fighting over faction warzone bosses.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by Wraithstar
    Originally posted by Kazara

PvP is not forced. Stay out of the warzones and you are fine. it`s that simple. now the game is based around PvP so they promote it (Which they should) if you really want to carebare it up, you can, but you could just play WoW and not have to worry about anything.

PvP,crafting and ocean exploration makes the game so amazing.

I hate when people post about a game, they haven`t even tried.

Also you talk about risk vs reward. at this moment there is really no risk when it comes to pvp, but you can get huge rewards. like taking out a players tradeship, with 10+ trade packs on it. or fighting over faction warzone bosses.

I hate it when people don't comprehend a post fully. I said potential looting in PvP, which would include lootable trade packs. That IS part of a risk vs. reward system. You said yourself that the game is based on PvP, so there is forced PvP if you want access to the all areas of the game. SWG gave players choice - AA not so much.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    So if I am understanding this right tradepacks are the form of PvP that I can choose to do for risk and reward and if I avoid the warzones this is the only PvP I can choose to do ? What type f looting I understand I will lose the trade pack but what about other stuff on me ?
    Chamber of Chains
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by cheyane
    So if I am understanding this right tradepacks are the form of PvP that I can choose to do for risk and reward and if I avoid the warzones this is the only PvP I can choose to do ? What type f looting I understand I will lose the trade pack but what about other stuff on me ?

The trade packs are the only thing they can loot. 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Okay sold ....image
    Chamber of Chains
  • IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    I think The Repopulation will be much closer to SWG, although no game will ever replace SWG.
  • NegativeJoeNegativeJoe Member UncommonPosts: 213

Originally posted by dumpcat
    I think The Repopulation will be much closer to SWG, although no game will ever replace SWG.

agree with this.
    I haven't bought into the alpha yet, but as far as pre-cu swg players go this looks like the closest we have ever come, on paper anyway. we will see when NDA is lifted next month.

A few features that caught my attention, for those that haven't heard of it.

1. SWG is the only game my wife ever played more than a couple days with me. why? because she could spend hours and days and months and never kill anything.
    this is the first game realistically you could do that and keep busy(or so it seems). Entertainers, yes. Politicians, yes. Crafting, of course. Gathering, yes.

2. Player Housing will come in 3 options.
    -Instanced hosing neighborhoods...im thinking this would be like DAoC good for guilds that want their own neighborhood i guess.
    -Persistent world housing, available in pve zones, near pve cities etc which i think will be like placing houses in SWG open world
    -Player City Housing-must be granted and he can swipe it away if he doesn't like you.
    ---it should be noted, your 'data' will be saved so you can move(or get kicked out of a nation or if its siezed by enemies) and your decorations/design will not be lost.
    decorating is free form placement, there are videos out there.

3. PVP can be avoided entirely, and should mostly be centered around nation vs nation, sieging or defending cities, but 2 of the 3 factions have roughly 1/3rd of the world as uncontested zone.

4. Classes
    There are no classes, completely Skill based. Which leads me to..some of the very many skills
    -Animal Handling
    -Entertainment
    -Diplomacy
    -Tracking
    -Cullinary Arts
    -Cybernetics
    -Robotics
    -Disguise
    -Veterinary Medicine
    -Hacking
    -Genetic Engineering
    -a ton of different combat and crafting skills thrown in

5. Crafting
    pretty in depth, interdependent system. example of what it takes to craft 1 dodge fitting

6. Resources
    3 ways to get resources, animal harvesting. whack a node(with a twist). and yes, extraction via harvesters and they don't come as [2 copper ore], they come in varying qualities. From what I read, each cluster has limited harvester spots, so you won't see acres and acres of harvesters on a good spot like old school swg, but hey thats a good thing.

::::26:: ::::26:: ::::26::

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by DeathmachinePT

Just to point that to all former SWG Vets archeage is one of the closest thing they will find with swg of course the setting is not the same but the mechanics, the large open world with no invisible walls, the ability to mix multiple professions and everyone having the ability to craft is a big plus, a lot of mechanics do promote groupping and pvp.

The game is also very big and complex more than SWG, with a lot of things to learn and do, from having farms, growings plants/pets...

Althought the game is still on alpha you can play if you pay upfront around 140$ it might not be worth to everyone even myself(my brother bought it and I had the chance to try) but you will see a mix of EQ2+SWG+SWG2

This is just the heads up that archeage will be a step further into good and innovative MMO's and every SWG fan that believe in the potential in SWG mechanics will be happy, Archeage is still on alpha so there is still lot of korean audio, some zones still lack npcs, content, the crafting process it self is not in par with swg/eq2 or FF realm reborn but what leads to it in terms of resources is much better and makes a significant impact on it, other features get in the way of immersion but in the end and in constrast with SWG launch where you had no initial space flight or vehicle use on Archeage here you have all features.

Pretty sure the future of MMOs will be sandbox...

PS: you can't believe how cool riding horses and sailing is XD (have not tested gliding), also small thing like npcs react to your present or to combat if its happening around them it's pretty handsome.

Archeage is not Star Wars, plus it is a traditional Asian grinder, which often means ridiculous races and almost naked small girls in tiny armor with manga figthing moves, no thanks.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"