Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gankfest?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

I've read up on AA and I really like the concept of the game, except for one thing:  Non-Consensual PvP.  Is AA a gankfest where killers run wild?  Do people usually travel in groups when they enter contested lands, or do they risk it alone?  Can you have a satisfying and complete experience just doing PvE and almost, if not totally, avoiding PvP?

Thanks!

Comments

• magichackermagichacker Member Posts: 7
    I'm interested in this answer also.  Only thing holding me back from the founder pack is will it be like Aion was and I'm always just getting killed while out trying to gather plants etc. 
  • AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Hey Guys,

I am not an expert on all things Archeage but I'll share my experience with you so far.  I've only been ganked 2 times so far in Archeage and in both instances I travelled to the opposing faction's island.  This makes you open to be attacked at any time by the opposition.  There are also areas in the game (I think lvl 30+) zones that are free for all pvp areas, as well as the open ocean.  You have to be mindful of that when in those zones but so far there are other areas that you are 'safe' from ganks.  Hope that will help!

• BattleSaintBattleSaint Member UncommonPosts: 17

I too   was/am worried about this aspect of "sandbox" game play. I am still not sure why PVP  is considered sacred to this formula but i will say this. I bought a founders pack anyway and WOW this games sheer size,scope and potential have actually inspired me to PVP for the first time in my MMO career.

The huge open world and sense of wonder and adventure are palpable in this game. At least to me of course. I am willing to jump feet first into this game and say the hell with it. I am also considering dedicated crafting as a possible method of progression with the idea of becoming some sort of trade Prince lol.  Basically there is too much GOOD stuff in this game to let my fear of PVP prevent me from enjoying it.  

I will embrace it and adapt to the challenge thats how strongly i feel about this game. It has invoked PASSION in me again. And now i just gotta learn how to PVP lol ive been a dedicated healer for so long  Resto Druid/Shammy  Cleric/Chloromancer etc and slayer of dragons i have no clue.  Im getting older and my reflexes and eyesight are shot but im going for it anyway. I figure someone will want a guy who prefers to heal in their guild for whatever occasion.

My opinion is if you can spare the cash get this game and get in there gankers be damned.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

My quick internet search says the level cap is 50, which means a good portion of leveling will be in a forced PvP area.  

I dislike forced PvP when a clear advantage is given to other players.  The clear advantage here is that I will be so far under the level cap that level 50s could kill me without a challenge and prevent my progression.  I find that to be a very frustrating experience and would rather avoid games which allow people to be assholes to others without restriction.  I get enough of that in real life and don't need it in my video games. 

If I am wrong and progression outside of forced PvP areas is the same rate as PvP areas, let me know.  Locking a small amount of progression to PvP areas may be tolerable, but 40% of the game is too much for me.

By progression, I am referring to anything which advances a character.  This includes fighting mobs, doing quests, obtaining gear, and gathering or crafting.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I'm interested in the game as well but not all that interested in pvp. I don't mind if the game has it and if there are areas that are forced pvp but like the poster above, if 40% of the world and the upper half of the game is all pvp the game just wont be for me.

It will be interesting to see what trion does with the world and if they go after the pve people or keep it the way it is. Either way I'll be giving the game a shot. Worst thing that can happen is I don't have fun and quit. Not exactly a rare thing now days.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I'm interested in the game as well but not all that interested in pvp. I don't mind if the game has it and if there are areas that are forced pvp but like the poster above, if 40% of the world and the upper half of the game is all pvp the game just wont be for me.

It will be interesting to see what trion does with the world and if they go after the pve people or keep it the way it is. Either way I'll be giving the game a shot. Worst thing that can happen is I don't have fun and quit. Not exactly a rare thing now days.

This is why sandboxes really won't work to appeal to the masses. PvP is a HUGE part of the sandbox experience. Some build castles, others tear them down.

EVE does it right. You are generally safe in hi-sec. However, if someone wants you dead, they can kill you regardless of the 'safe' zone if they are willing to suffer the consequences.

If I'm not mistaken, the whole jail system is there for that very reason. To give gankers a consequence to deal with.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

Crap.  Game looked so promising under my desires, too.  The only PvP game I ever enjoyed was in DAoC, and that's because people tended to fight in groups...I guess I felt safe in the zerg!

PvP anxiety is keeping me from spending the $150 for the founder's.

• RafadotnechiRafadotnechi Member UncommonPosts: 90
    PVP is concesual as long the zone you are in is not in war state and not a opposing faction zone.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean

Crap.  Game looked so promising under my desires, too.  The only PvP game I ever enjoyed was in DAoC, and that's because people tended to fight in groups...I guess I felt safe in the zerg!

PvP anxiety is keeping me from spending the $150 for the founder's.

Here's the thing.  A lot of PVE takes place in non safe zones, however there are zones where pvp is not allowed and you can pve and craft.  

It's not like one huge deathmatch either.  It's east vs west, and then throw in pirates and other factions.  There are people who hunt down pirates, opposite faction, etc and there are those like yourself who have no interest in it at all. So if you feel safe in a group there is guarenteed one for you out there whether its someone in your same faction or wherever.    

I wouldn't let the worry of pvp hold you back from buying though.  As of now there are no over the top death penalties, just an experience debuff in case you do happen to be ganked.  Though I hope for the of players like myself sake that they make the death penalties a little more severe :) makes for more of an adrenaline rush at low hp.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

i was ganked left and right in the russian server , lots of pvp ....it was fun but after a while u just wanted to level a bit , there is plenty of safe zones , but if u are out there killing mobs , u are going to get ganked A LOT.

in the end i quited , lag was bad...pvp wasnt fair when i was playing with 500ping and all the rus 0-50 :S

• CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by BattleSaint

I too   was/am worried about this aspect of "sandbox" game play. I am still not sure why PVP  is considered sacred to this formula but i will say this. I bought a founders pack anyway and WOW this games sheer size,scope and potential have actually inspired me to PVP for the first time in my MMO career.

The huge open world and sense of wonder and adventure are palpable in this game. At least to me of course. I am willing to jump feet first into this game and say the hell with it. I am also considering dedicated crafting as a possible method of progression with the idea of becoming some sort of trade Prince lol.  Basically there is too much GOOD stuff in this game to let my fear of PVP prevent me from enjoying it.  

I will embrace it and adapt to the challenge thats how strongly i feel about this game. It has invoked PASSION in me again. And now i just gotta learn how to PVP lol ive been a dedicated healer for so long  Resto Druid/Shammy  Cleric/Chloromancer etc and slayer of dragons i have no clue.  Im getting older and my reflexes and eyesight are shot but im going for it anyway. I figure someone will want a guy who prefers to heal in their guild for whatever occasion.

My opinion is if you can spare the cash get this game and get in there gankers be damned.

What a wonderful and inspirational attitude! I applaud you! I'm 47, still young but well, not as quick on gaming as I used to be. I too, have RARELY  ever ever PVP'd.  I tried PVP for the first time in years in Wildstar recently. I love AA and also don't want PVP to ruin my experience. I switched to a Paladin build which is fun and I feel much more capable when bankers come around when I get to level 30+ 

I adore farming and really like crafting. I know I will level these up. You definitely gave me renewed hope in AA. Very disappointed it is a PVP game but won't let that stop me from having a blast. 

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by helthros

This is why sandboxes really won't work to appeal to the masses. PvP is a HUGE part of the sandbox experience. Some build castles, others tear them down.

EVE does it right. You are generally safe in hi-sec. However, if someone wants you dead, they can kill you regardless of the 'safe' zone if they are willing to suffer the consequences.

If I'm not mistaken, the whole jail system is there for that very reason. To give gankers a consequence to deal with.

The PvP aspect of this game is concerning to me also.  Most of us don't want to be out questing or just exploring and be set upon by a bunch of lvl 50 characters. 

As far as the prison system, Im not sure that is much of a deterrent.  I saw a video of a player in the prison system. He was laughing about it the entire time and players seem to purposefully do something to get thrown in prison.  It really doesnt seem much of a deterrent .

• CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187
    I believe there is a Bounty hunter cloak when equipped allows you to arrest people and hunt Prime suspects. That's good too in addition to the Justice system 
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

Do this game have any system or skill that allow low level fight back at high level ?

Also i want to know if the game have high gap between high and low level are big or not.

If highbie can kill lowbie less than 10s and the lowbie don't have change to run or fight back then it pretty bad.

After all open world PVP i played , i known one thing that if the game don't give players skill to effect support in battle and high change to survive in battle then it pretty bad .

After all the clip i watch , the PVP pretty fast and spam HP potions a lot.

It make me lost interest .

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

In the 30+ zones they use a interesting contested system. Where every so many hours a zone can / will become contested and then at war. Once a zone becomes at war its a FFA area without any real repercusions. But when that happens you can easily move to another 30+ zone (theres several 4+ per side).

Outside of the contested and at war times its generally really peaceful. Because if anyone trys to kill someone else you will gain infamy and they can report you for a crime. 5 reports and you are put on trial where your more then likely going to end up in jail.

Then on top of that the northern contanent is basicly your RvR style area where you will be fighting for keeps every few hours and for control of that land. You also have most of the ocean as a open area where ships are fighting far treasure and cargo runs.

It's not just a FFA gankfest. The systems in place really help to keep it from becoming a free for all 24/7.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

...an experience debuff in case you do happen to be ganked...

That killed my interest in this game.  No game should impose PvE penalties for losing in PvP.  Griefers will enjoy preventing people from leveling and get their e-peens inflated while those trying to level just get frustrated and quit.

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean

I've read up on AA and I really like the concept of the game, except for one thing:  Non-Consensual PvP.  Is AA a gankfest where killers run wild?  Do people usually travel in groups when they enter contested lands, or do they risk it alone?  Can you have a satisfying and complete experience just doing PvE and almost, if not totally, avoiding PvP?

Thanks!

I have been playing since Korea launch.  I have 50 on KR, 50 on RU and I won't touch Trion's games with a 10 foot pole so I don't know about alpha.  That said, I have been maybe ganked 10 total times out of both characters getting to 50?  No, ganking isn't rampant if you are leveling up.  I have found a lot of my guildies complain on RU about it, but then when you actually ask what happen they attack first, get beat then cry about it.

That said, it might happen once or twice.  If you can't handle that, AA won't be a title you will want to spend time playing.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by syntax42

That killed my interest in this game.  No game should impose PvE penalties for losing in PvP.  Griefers will enjoy preventing people from leveling and get their e-peens inflated while those trying to level just get frustrated and quit.

I wouldn't worry about PvP so much.  You wander around in most of the world without being ganked.  I don't love that the combat is pretty much skill less from what I've heard from people.  But even in games that are more skill based it is still very difficult to beat the very dedicated.  

I like consequences for being beaten in a dangerous area.  There has to be something on the line to feel like you accomplished something.  I do wonder about the methods of escape.  If I see someone coming at me from a long distance away I should be able to high tail it out of there.

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by Mouls
    PVP is concesual as long the zone you are in is not in war state and not a opposing faction zone.

not true.

30+ zones have multiple states, and you can attack in ANY of those states besides peacetime, you just won't get honor for it unless its at the final "war" stage.  The previous few stages before war are still pvp enabled.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• ValheraValhera Member UncommonPosts: 19

Fuck me, reading this thread confirms entirely why I left this genre a few years ago. I had my eyes on ArcheAge around 3 years ago and it seemed to be the game that brought back PvP built on top of a Guild / Alliance systems. These kind of MMO used to create such epic player/guild-driven stories that would keep me hanging and thinking about it outside of the game. The open world pvp created guild clash / guild fights / open world fights that I still remember to this day. Alliance were made, broken and challenged based on these encountes where players used to call their guilds for help when ganked were giving them a hard time which often ended in epic pvp fights.

This type of MMO had so much potential and was exciting in my eyes. I'm so sad that the new wave of players is expecting every MMO to be consensual PvP or PvE only (or SHITTY battlegrounds, god damn do I hate those), where you can solo your way to max level easily and get the best gears while half-sleeping and never having to interact with anyone. I miss the days where MMORPGs truly were player-driven.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

A very large portion of SWG's playerbase did not PvP and never had to be subjected to it.  PvP is not needed for a good sandbox at all.

• ROFLcopter13ROFLcopter13 Member UncommonPosts: 44

Same. Guess I can check ARCHEAGE off my list. Thanks for the heads up guys. Glad I wont be wasting time on this pile of crap.

• Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280

Actually even with the 150 buy in for alpha, the server is pack full of players, times have change and the way they balance pvp with pve in this game will be successful because players are given lots of breathing room and time to prepare for the contested zones that are on timers between war and peace. 

• Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by ROFLcopter13

Same. Guess I can check ARCHEAGE off my list. Thanks for the heads up guys. Glad I wont be wasting time on this pile of crap.

Wrong info , experience debuff happens if you are killed in pve, pvp you lose honor points that you can gain back by kliing players.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by syriinx

A very large portion of SWG's playerbase did not PvP and never had to be subjected to it.  PvP is not needed for a good sandbox at all.

This

Open world full loot pvp or anything in between is not a sandbox feature. Its a misconception by the misinformed. THere are many sandbox games without or with very limited pvp. 

They use this as a scare tactic and in most sandbox games I rarely get ganked. Some people here act like they get beat on soon as they log in and the entire time they play lol.