Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

bought $150 alpha, best decision of my life.

Comments

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

I took the plunge and purchased the alpha access.

I didn't play the game long but after about an hour the game felt somewhat low quality.  Coming from ESO it might just be how things look and feel when I play.  Graphically it looks ok but it feels lacking in atmosphere.  It also starts you out with an asian speaking cut scene and dialogs.  Later after you get started the quests have no dialog and are in english.

Combat is pretty old school.  Game plays simlar to games like EQ2, Rift, WoW, etc.

Have not played enough to really have any feel for the depth or details of how combat works.

I'll probably play ESO and maybe look more at it on the weekend.  For now I would probably have been better off passing on the game.

---
    Ethion

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

The $150 package includes 3 months of sub-status, $75 in game credits, and some incidental items for crafting, teleport, and transportation. I wouldn't say the package is just hype. It has some useful value. You're basically paying $30 - $40 for early access.

By comparison both Elite:Dangerous and Star Citizen charge about $300 for a comparable package.

F2P doesn't mean you never spend money or things don't cost. It means "free to play" without a subscription. That's where the term came from - back when most every game required a sub payment to even access the servers and play.  A free to play game was free to play without the sub payment. It never meant, you will never pay a dime in this game, just that you don't have to rent it.

It *only* has value if you use the items.  A non trivial percentage of people that bought the package will not like the game after the first month or two when the newness of the experience wears off.  And that percentage is likely to be over 50%, but nobody knows for sure.

And $75 in in game credits sounds nice, but we dont even know what the store will sell yet.  

And you need to retire your 'rent' argument, because it is simply not true and a dishonest way to look at it.  you pay for server access.  As an example, there are two unofficial servers for separate SoE games.  SoE knows about them and is cool with the fact they exist (and one of them is for a game that is still alive and well).  However in order to play on them they require you own a copy of the game.

When you buy the game, you always own it.  owning it may or may not be useless without server access but you certainly own the game.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    Originally posted by rodarin
    Bottom line is whether the guy is a shill or not people who spend 150 for AA will get more out of that game than guys who spent 75 and 80 bucks on SWOTOR and ESO.

Will people who wait 60 days and pay zero to play it "get more out of that game" than either of your options?

Depends on how you 'value' the stuff that doesnt have such an obvious real world 'value'. Some people might think getting to play NOW is 'worth' it even if its in alpha.

The credits and the sub have a value that can be seen easily. As mentioned about 114 bucks. So that leaves 36 bucks for alpha and beta access and the other stuff they give.

If people are paying to play it before it is released then their 'value' is greater the longer it goes before an official release. What if the game isnt released for  another year will those who fork over 36 bucks (intangible price) think that year was worth the 36 bucks? I would imagine so.

Which also raises a point many people miss. If they have a lot of people who spend that type of money up front then they CAN actually 'delay' a release without worry of issues rather than rushing (another) bad product out to the masses.

I am neutral at this point. But I think these packages make the most sense of any of the things MMOs are doing right now. Some people might call them cash grabs, which may be the case. But if the trend goes to these things catching on and improving games BEFORE theyre released and helping them make a game better going forward whats the problem?

I would much rather spend a few bucks on a gamble on a game that looks interesting than paying money for a game I know full well will be free to play (and the developer is outright lying when they claim it wont be) in a few months. With every other sub based MMO to come downt he pike you got shit and shoved in it when they switched to free to play. Now these free to play games that dont pretend to be sub worthy (even though they might be more subworthy than most games claiming to be subworthy) and you get real world cash value items for the money you spend.

If ESO released with a 100 'founders' pack and bypassed the whole 80 dollar box price and sub model they wouldnt be getting near the bad press theyre getting. the game would still be bad and the performance would still suck but maybe, just maybe, the company would have been able to delay launch and work on some of the issues a little longer. Still might not have made a difference but people wouldnt be sitting thee with another 80 dollar box waiting for the game to go free to play and hoping it works better.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by torn420
    Cashgrab at its finest.  It's not even in alpha, it's a RELEASED game that needs translation.  Ya'll got gypped.  Enjoy your $150 free to play asian MMO #31234.

Apparently they are enjoying it and that is all that matters in the long run.

Oh and what about all these kickstarter projects that let you donate for perks, some all they way up to the thousands yet don't even have a playable version for their donaters how is that any better than this?

Originally posted by rodarin

Which also raises a point many people miss. If they have a lot of people who spend that type of money up front then they CAN actually 'delay' a release without worry of issues rather than rushing (another) bad product out to the masses.

Trion has revenue streams.  XL has revenue streams from AA.   This has no impact on game's tweaking (its already developed) or release schedule.

• AparitionAparition Member UncommonPosts: 91
    so you create an account on these forums to tell people you spent 150 dollars on a free game thats in alpha testing? thats like saying youre the smartest person with downs syndrome, congratz....

• papabear151papabear151 Member UncommonPosts: 110

Go buy 30 dollars worth of shrooms, 20 dollars worth of weed, 10 dollars worth of fresh fruit.

After that kick yourself in the face for spending 150 dollars on a 3 mo video game sub.

• papabear151papabear151 Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by Asheram
    Originally posted by torn420
    Cashgrab at its finest.  It's not even in alpha, it's a RELEASED game that needs translation.  Ya'll got gypped.  Enjoy your $150 free to play asian MMO #31234.

Apparently they are enjoying it and that is all that matters in the long run.

Oh and what about all these kickstarter projects that let you donate for perks, some all they way up to the thousands yet don't even have a playable version for their donaters how is that any better than this?

It's not and they are all equally dumb.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Beastn
    I would never spend 150$ on one video game in one big lump sum andman alpha no less and then refer to it as the best decision of my life...but that's me

Hate to put words in people's mouth but I'd bet you'd be willing to spend hundreds (even thousands) over several years in a subscription game.  That is what really baffles me.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Saddest post title I have ever read.

Personally do not care if you love the game or hate it.

It is a game my friend, it is not life, and never should be. 

If you could ever claim anything about a video game to be the best decision of your life, I truly feel for you.

My advice to you turn off your computer, walk out your door, go to the park, or a coffee shop, the beach, the grocery store, somewhere where there are people, real living breathing people. 

Find a pretty girl, a girl so pretty even looking at her terrifies you. A girl so pretty your chest tightens, your palms sweat, your knees tremble.  

Dig deep into every last bit of who you are, walk up to her and say hi, smile, tell her your name.

Tell her you think she is the most beautiful girl in the world and finding the courage to take a chance with her,

is the best decision of your life.

Even if she rejects you it's ok, for true living  is in the journey. 

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Originally posted by ArcheAge2014

went exploring the world, and do alot of farming raising my animals. HAHA soo much fun best AAA sandbox i ever seen.

Best $150 i ever paid for founders pack then other mmorpg in the history, I mean wow.

if your an explorer holy crap, its going to blow your socks off. working on building my small boat too. 

:D

This sandbox is AMAZING, no bugs!!!!! no gamebreakign bugs, unlike other games haha. Its about time for a AAA sandbox with no bugs, build whatever you want mmorpg. We needed it.

THERE IS SOOOOOO MUCH TO DO IN THIS GAME, i may start up some crafting too. :D :D

im blown away by all the features AA has to offer, the best $150 of my life.

At least Trion finally found time for a marketing budget. Too bad it's just this guy.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by Vaticider69
    I took the plunge also... It was a much better decision then Dark and Light.. I'm enjoying myself. I have a low post count, but I read these hateful forums every day. OP is a plant.

Ummm pissing into the wind is a better decision than Dark and Light.

Lolipops !

• RaZKaLzRaZKaLz Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Just in case no one mentioned it, you will need to pay 15$ a month to have a house in game. You get other benefit for it too but basically you will need to pay either 15$ a month or buy it with in-game gold.
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    If this is the best decision the OP has made in his life, he needs a better life.

Yeah I hope he's exaggerating. 

I'm looking forward to playing too at some point but I'm getting good at delayed gratification. I can wait until it releases.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

I doubt SoE is cool with private servers. They may not care about SWG, but unless you can post a link where Smedley or Georgeson say, go ahead and play private, then I doubt you. Also you don't need to own a copy of either game. You need to have a game client and that's two different things, because I can get a game client for either one. That's irrelevant to the discussion though.

They arent going to outright say it, but when asked how SoE feels about a certain server Smed's quote was "Well, officially I have to say it's bad.  but thats officially."  Smed is obviously cool with xxx.xxx and there is a server that is a project of some type that they are well aware of and have made no effort to shut down, as well as one that reuses EQs assets and puts an entirely new lore on top of them.

I have played on 2 of these three and they both told you you had to buy the client.  Are illegal downloads available?  Of course and they cant really be stopped.  

Now private servers in general, no.  But these three they have made no effort to shut down whatsoever, and at least one of them can feasibly take away EQ subs from them.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

even if you like the game - i still think despite the value of the package - buying the 150 usd pack doesnt make any sense (pack is rather 200 usd in the eu) because

beta starts in less than 2 months (supposedly)

the game is all about building up your wealth, property etc... - all gets whiped and youll have to do it all over again except you wont be playing at release which makes the 150 usd pack even less useful...

I really dont see any benefit of the150 usd pack except that you can play and test things out now, 1-2 months earlier...if that is worth it to you...and dont think they game will be free to play afterwards - if you want to build  stuff and be competitive you WILL have to pay a monthly fee (which isnt necessarily bad - just sayin).

• geoxer2222geoxer2222 Member Posts: 40
    Having played the KR AA, the game feels to much like a job. You will have fun for good amount of time tho so that's a plus i guess.
  • Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264

went exploring the world, and do alot of farming raising my animals. HAHA soo much fun best AAA sandbox i ever seen.

Best $150 i ever paid for founders pack then other mmorpg in the history, I mean wow.

if your an explorer holy crap, its going to blow your socks off. working on building my small boat too. 

:D

This sandbox is AMAZING, no bugs!!!!! no gamebreakign bugs, unlike other games haha. Its about time for a AAA sandbox with no bugs, build whatever you want mmorpg. We needed it.

THERE IS SOOOOOO MUCH TO DO IN THIS GAME, i may start up some crafting too. :D :D

im blown away by all the features AA has to offer, the best $150 of my life.

So, how much are you getting paid to come here and hype the game?  Then to claim "no bugs" is ridiculous.  That statement couldn't have anything at all to do with people crying about the few bugs in ESO now could it...

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587
    Originally posted by BarCrow

Those of you playing....how is it on the old PC? e.g. I have a gtx580 gpu... i7 2600 3.4 ghz cpu..liquid cooled....8gb ram..windows 7 64bit client. ..How do you think it'll run? I ask this because ..tho i can run newer stuff...ESO..Wildstar...the frame rates are getting lower and lower of course. My buddy is starting to show it's age.  Much like myself. lol.

I have a e8400, 4gigs of ram, and a 560ti. Games runs pretty well on medium settings. Looks ok too. I've fudged w/ all the settings several times to get it looking as good as it can w/o totally ruining my fps.

I'd say your rig is a little better than mine. So I wouldn't let your pc stop you. The price may though.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Thanks ArcheAge2014. wink
  • askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631
    Originally posted by geoxer2222
    Having played the KR AA, the game feels to much like a job. You will have fun for good amount of time tho so that's a plus i guess.

So... we're essentially saying that the best decision of OP's life was to get a job, albeit a virtual one to start with.

Sounds about right.

• ZutchZutch Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by asmkm22

"ArcheAge2014" registered today and posts about how great the expensive alpha price for a F2P game is...

Yeah, that doesn't sound odd or anything.

FINALLY someone saw it .....

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

i cant see myself playing mmorpg with phasing and instancing no more after this, im spoiled.

The world is sooo massive. Im blown away. 

No gamebreaking bugs that ive seen so far,  im in for the long haul.

combat is just so boring...and hard cc in pvp...

the game looks really interesting, im just not sure if its not another "flavor of the day" mmo and the hype will pass before its even released...

• BulldozeBulldoze Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by summitus
    I certainly wouldn't say its the best $150 I have spent in my life ( I think that was on a back street in Hong Kong in the 70's ) .. but I will say its best $150 / £109 Gbp in my case , I have spent on gaming in a long time , have paid so much money for disappointing games lately. Having so much fun in this game. :)

Intrigued. Tell me more

I am the Arch-fiend, the Despoiler of Worlds, and by my hands shall the false Emperor fall.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by vidiotking
    Originally posted by BarCrow

Those of you playing....how is it on the old PC? e.g. I have a gtx580 gpu... i7 2600 3.4 ghz cpu..liquid cooled....8gb ram..windows 7 64bit client. ..How do you think it'll run? I ask this because ..tho i can run newer stuff...ESO..Wildstar...the frame rates are getting lower and lower of course. My buddy is starting to show it's age.  Much like myself. lol.

I have a e8400, 4gigs of ram, and a 560ti. Games runs pretty well on medium settings. Looks ok too. I've fudged w/ all the settings several times to get it looking as good as it can w/o totally ruining my fps.

I'd say your rig is a little better than mine. So I wouldn't let your pc stop you. The price may though.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably buy the founder within the next 2-4 weeks. Been waiting for this game.