Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Elder Scrolls Online: Review in Progress #4

Comments

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

According to Eurogamer a 6/10 for this one...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-25-the-elder-scrolls-online-review

Having played this one during beta I would say somewhere between 5 and 7. 

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

There Is Always Hope!

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Poor Bill... damned if you do damned if you don't. Just stop giving scores all together. That way everyone will be happy, right?!

Where's the guy who says "Zenimax's check must have bounced"?!

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Illyssia

According to Eurogamer a 6/10 for this one...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-25-the-elder-scrolls-online-review

Having played this one during beta I would say somewhere between 5 and 7. 

And what about the reviews from Eurogamer Spain 8/10, Escapist 8/10, Gamesbeat 9/10, etc where there are actually more positive than negative reviews still. Are the only ones valid the ones you agree with? The answer is none of the are right, the negative or positive, and your own judgement is what really matters. This is exactly why I ignore Movie Critics. If I went with critics, I may have skipped the last two Hobbit movies and though not as good as lord of the rings, I really enjoyed both of them.

There Is Always Hope!

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    As I have said on some of my other posts , I like the way you are approaching your review of this game Bill , in a fair and balanced , and might I add non hysterical manor ! :)
  • endermorganendermorgan Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by keithian
    Yes after reading " but immensely fun month and I don’t think the review will mark the end of my time with ESO. This is easily a game I can see myself playing for a long time". That is definitely the sign of a review that deserves lower than an 8 because after all, fun and desire to play longer which despite gamespot and others isn't that critical. Its more important to jump on the hate bandwagon so you don't have to fight off others that will say, "here we go again, another 8.7 like TOR". This game is much better than TOR so your comment pretty much means I'll ignore the rest of the review.

Just because a game is fun and I'm enjoying it, doesn't mean it automatically gets an 8 or higher.  I played Defiance for several months straight but still gave it a 6.6.  We have categories, and we rate each of them out of 10.  The average of those scores gives us our final score.

As I've stated before, it's the Polish score that's going to really hurt ESO.

Different reviewers, don't forget.  Mike B really and truly loves SWTOR, so who am I (or anyone) to say his score can't be an 8.7?  We all follow the same criteria, but that doesn't mean that we can all easily agree on what score each category (and therefore entire game) is going to get.  

I totally understand you're having a fun time.  But you're going to tell me that ESO should have anything remotely resembling a passing score in terms of Polish when accounts were compromised, progression is stopped, gear has been lost, bank slots have been lost, guild banks have been disabled, and on and on and on?  

I am really enjoying ESO, but that doesn't mean I'm blind to its bugs or shortcomings.  And as a reviewer, I would hope that's the case.

POLISH – 9

Guild Wars 2 may be one of the most complete games at launch that I’ve ever seen, but that doesn’t mean it’s not without its troubles. There are (even now) still a decent number of bugged events, exploits in WvW, and broken skill challenges that prevent people from completing content. Still, minus the early hiccups with the Black Lion Trading Post, almost everything in Guild Wars 2 has worked and worked well since day one. Not only that, but when it comes to patching in fixes, the servers are down for a minute, not hours, and with the exception of a head-start downtime I don’t think Tyria’s been shut down for a considerable amount of time once. That would be extraordinary, if it weren’t already true of Guild Wars 1. Simply put, Guild Wars is a very complete game, and the main culprits against this score are annoyances, not fun-preventing nightmares. That’s rare in the MMO world.

-

Lets be honest, ESO has the same exact issues as guild wars 2, ESO is much a much larger game. But meh i would even say a 9 is too high. However ESO CS is also much much faster than gw2 cs, when i started gw2, day one my account was compromised and i had to wait inline for 7 days to get access back to my account. I dont know if you remember all the hacked accounts.... but yea polish is gonna hurt ESO.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

When zenimax fix this or that or adds this or that or revise this or that it might get higher score. Since the game i played didnt fix this or that, didnt have this or that and some very poor design decisions its 5/10.

Games arent reviewed on their potential or any game would get 10/10 because anything can be fixed or added. Another matter is if anything will be fixed or added, best example is SWTOR with its engine. Or GW2 and its culling problem that got fixed.

• ImprovVImprovV Member Posts: 14

Just because a game is fun and I'm enjoying it, doesn't mean it automatically gets an 8 or higher.  I played Defiance for several months straight but still gave it a 6.6.  We have categories, and we rate each of them out of 10.  The average of those scores gives us our final score. As I've stated before, it's the Polish score that's going to really hurt ESO.

Exactly. Sort of like how the press gave all those low review scores to Skyrim for being an utterly broken game when it first released, far worse than ESO is. Oh wait...they gave it universal praise and countless GOTY awards despite it being a buggy, miserable experience especially on the PS3? 

So yeah don't give me that. The fact is there are games which are let off the hook for game-breaking bugs and others which aren't. There is no consistency in reviewers and personal bias is a huge part of it. If this is the case Skyrim should be sitting at a 60-70 metacritic because of how broken it was. In fact it was completely unplayable on PS3 the further you progressed into the game. 

It's clear that reviewers look at popular opinion. If they dared to give a low score to Skyrim the fanboys would have insulted them left and right. But they see how a very vocal minority hate on ESO, a MMO they don't even play day in and out and are using it as an opportunity to give it low scores due to bugs because they know those people will fill their comments praising them. 

This is why I haven't used a review to purchase a game for years. There is no consistency and I truly believe scores are judged on who developed the game and how easy it is to give a low score to a game because of popularity, dev, etc. If I am wrong then that is not on me. Because this is what it truly does look like.

• battlesambattlesam Member UncommonPosts: 15

I don't agree that a review of the game should focus on the launch. The early bugs/exploits/dupes etc., especially when they are fixed very quickly, shouldn't really be a part of a review of the game. The game stands or falls on its design and realization of that design. I find very little lag in pvp and I was able to complete every single quest I attempted, currently level 37.  The worst I've encountered is falling through the world a few times.

I've played many of the MMOs beginning with DAoC, and next to WoW this one has the most impressive degree of polish, which to me are refinements to the basic game. I can't think of a game since WoW with greater scope of content. I mean the number of quests is mind boggling, yet you can easily grind away and level as fast if not faster. I even got a couple of full levels doing pvp mission quests. The crafting system here is to die for.

There are problems with this game to be sure, but launch bugs don't count imo. The playability of Cyrodiil and the future of the 1-50 zones are the questions I have for this game.

• OldMMOGamerOldMMOGamer Member UncommonPosts: 100

The only critic that matters is me. 

I do appreciate opinions but if 7 other sites say the game is great and 7 other sites say it's just "ok" That's still just 14 opinions that maybe right or maybe wrong, to certain people.  I have friends I follow because we share the same likes, dislikes.

What I have seen in-game at level 38 now is IMO different than what this reviewer may see. But I play games for me to find out how they are not because of someone else's opinion.  

So IMO.....Brief reasons I enjoy....

AvA is a blast doing quest in because of the chance to meet up with an enemy, several quest lead to caves which can be enemy territory at the time. It's creepy as hell going in and sneaking around just knowing someone could be waiting in ambush or visa versa.  That's real immersion IMO.

The gigantic fights that I have seen are fun but I enjoy small squad encounters, Knowing which way an enemy will be coming from and setting up to take them out and have them worry about coming through again. Also that place is insanely huge....I have not seen all the land yet not even close.

Crafting- I really enjoy it, I love modifying existing armor, making it better than when I found it especially when I like the look. Lots of different perks along the way like researching different type of enhancements, such as reinforced armor or sharpened weapons, many more like those. You then can add "Glyphs" with different kinds of powers for weapons, Flame, Ice, Posion, Disease, protection shields and more. The armor ones can have + stats to whatever you want, magic, health, stamina etc.

Questing- Every single mob says something to you, and for me I love lore and listen to everything. To me the quest are engaging and have purpose. When you complete a long quest line the area you just helped eliminate a threat or whatever will change, the mobs that were there are gone and friendlies have moved in.  Rewards are decent and again with whatever crafting you take up can be improved. There is so much more to questing, the cut scenes describing long before battles or incidents are interesting.

Lore Books- One of my favorite things to do is look for the different lore books. There are TONS and again I love reading every line. You also increase skills by reading certain books like heavy armor, crafting line, spell line and whatever.  I think the stories are well written and add some history to the area you are at. You sometimes find these books or notes on dead bodies telling a story that goes along sometimes with a quest line offering clues.  Not all are easy to find.

Graphics- I think I may have been a higher level if not for just exploring and looking at the land. On ultra setting for me it's awesome to look at. 

Weather Effects-  To me was a great addition sometimes its sunny, raining, snowing, foggy and thunder. The thunder is this game has to be real and made me jump a few times.

I have had quest bugs especially at the start but never took away from continue playing, and were fixed mostly in the first weeks. I or my friends have not had any game stopping issues as some have said they have.

The bots are really stupid bad right now and really do aggravate me and i do hope ESO does something about it. The Gold Spammers I just ignore and move on.

Anyway my 2 cents.

• lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162

I have to say that after trying out the Beta I didn't think I would enjoy the game but I really do. And I am by heart a PVP:er and haven't tried it out yet until my new computer arrives on tuesday. I have watched videos and it looks fun except for some gamebreaking abilities that they hopefully fix soon.

I love how you can level up different skills, different weapons etc. How you get new skillpoints from leveling, questing and finding shards. I love that you can just take your horse and ride out in one direction and find adventures there. I love how the different cities remember that you have been there before and remains the same everytime you go there. I love the feeling when you fight. I love that it is not an easy game. Some fights you really need to be on your toes. I truly hate when everything is too easy like in most games.

What I don't like is the constant botting in dungeons. And I never thought I would say this but I find it too crowded when you are leveling. You are against a boss in the last step of a quest-chain. Interesting. This could be a tough fight. The problem is another 10 players are at the exact same step so we all go in and zerg the boss and gets credit for it and leave. Public dungeons is fun but not when they keep the different servers (layers) too crowded. Sometimes I look forward to the challenge. I don't want to race through the dungeons with all the mobs killed all the time. And then you come to the dungeon and you see ten guys named "Fffggg", "Gjkdkdk" etc and the dungeon boss spawns and boom 1 second later he is dead. I think and hope Zenimax could be creative enough to prevent this from happening.

So this game is a pleasant surprise for me. And this even though I haven't been able to get over my gaming friends to it yet.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442
    Originally posted by Samhael
    In before that guy makes an account called "MurphyLovesAllBut3Games"  :P

Haha..

I'm interested to see the final result of this considering Bill DOES have a habit of over hyping most everything if you want to be completely honest..

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

"You could effectively level whilst doing nothing but AvA" however "I haven't been spending to much of my time in AvA".

A pity - since then the comment might have been: "You can effectively level to 50 whilst doing nothing but AvA"

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by gervaise1

"You could effectively level whilst doing nothing but AvA" however "I haven't been spending to much of my time in AvA".

A pity - since then the comment might have been: "You can effectively level to 50 whilst doing nothing but AvA"

I didn't really understand what he was talking about here.  You can't really effectively level in AVA, even with the AVA quests, PVE missions, and the XP you get for taking over map objectives.

Grabbing a keep gets you what, 0.2% of a level?

I've warned a few people who expected to buy the game and just level up doing the PVP and living in Cyrodiil that it doesn't work that way.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    9/10 from me easily. ESO is GW2 done right IMHO.

Joined - July 2004

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn
    Originally posted by gervaise1

I didn't really understand what he was talking about here.  You can't really effectively level in AVA, even with the AVA quests, PVE missions, and the XP you get for taking over map objectives.

Grabbing a keep gets you what, 0.2% of a level?

I've warned a few people who expected to buy the game and just level up doing the PVP and living in Cyrodiil that it doesn't work that way.

I did consider changing it to just "level in AvA pre-50" but Bill's comment was effectively!

I agree with you though people shouldn't expect to level up in AvA - and post-50 it simply gets worse. And the PTS change doubling xp won't really help much either.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Good news for ESO fans sticking it out is the Craglorn update will also have a lot of bug fixes for the game.
  • describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

"no singular player-level reward system in place."

well you tell the warmaster to stop sending me free stuff every 5 minutes when you get involved. (just a shame the PvE quest rewards in the PvP zone, still kinda suck)

seriously i've had more greens and blues from the pvp than i have had doing quests ;)

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• Oh look, praise from a reviewer who can be taken seriously. I really like that the author hasn't let bugs or bots effect the score of the game. He is reviewing the game, after all, not the launch of the game.
  • MamnomMamnom Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by describable

"no singular player-level reward system in place."

well you tell the warmaster to stop sending me free stuff every 5 minutes when you get involved. (just a shame the PvE quest rewards in the PvP zone, still kinda suck)

seriously i've had more greens and blues from the pvp than i have had doing quests ;)

WHAT THE HECK IS THE REVIEW SAYING...YOU GET FREE GEAR AND YOU GET ALLIANCE POINTS WHICH YOU CAN TURN IN FOR GEAR OR OTHER GOODIES...SERIOUSLY LEARN ABOUT AvA BEFORE YOU POST THIS CRAP...i am glad i am not the only one that saw this...Thank you describable

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Poor Bill... damned if you do damned if you don't. Just stop giving scores all together. That way everyone will be happy, right?!

Where's the guy who says "Zenimax's check must have bounced"?!

Well, you know how that goes. Bill broke the #1 rule: "Never,  under any circumstances, criticize anything about a MMO, or its rabid fans will come after you for it".

It's just one of those things... The sun rises, the sun sets, there's high tide, there's low tide... voice criticism about an MMO, and its fans react as though they were personally attacked.

I mean, Bill makes a remark about the game lacking what he felt was sufficient polish during his time playing it, and look at all the butthurt responses it's getting... people making excuses for it, or generally trying to invalidate Bill and his opinion any way they can.

It's amazing how incredibly sensitive and intolerant people are of others' opinions around here.

• JeminaiJeminai Member UncommonPosts: 151
    only bugs I have encounted is some graphic collision and of course server instability at times.
    I havnt played the fantasy genre in quite some time (since ditching pandas), but the look and feel of this game were enough to draw me in.
    I love the depth and detail with eso's textures, the vast exploration and streamlined game mechanics. I have been impressed with the realistic aspects and freedom of choice. if my caster wants to slice it up with an axe, no problems there or limitations. so as far as "polish" this game has had a relatively relaxed and successful launch. bugs happen anywhere but what matters is the developers attitude and consistency with addressing them.
    my only gripes so far would have to be the parasitic gold farmer's filling up peoples ignore lists and sitting on nearly every public dungeon boss, leeching the fun out of every dungeon.
    oh and American accents shouting "Hear Ye! Hear Ye!" over and over. just doesn't sound right in my ears. in fact I'd like it if they changed added to some of the repetitive NPC conversations so it feels less static.
  • marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Two points

1. I am NOT happy that you showed that map of skyshard locations without a spoiler alert.

NOT HAPPY.

2. I guess you didn't discover that very nice blue items can be got from the AvA merchants. Whenever I need an upgrade I head into Cyrodiil for some new gear. Much better than finding enough dwarf oil.

Btw - well said OldMMOGamer !

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• PapaprikaPapaprika Member UncommonPosts: 55

Honostly. The only review that needs to exist on the game. Can't beat pure facts: 

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495
    You do get skill points for gainnig AvA rank...