Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

dont be fooled into playing a fundamentally broken game

just noticed a recent surge from AV and AV apologists to try and get people to buy their crappy broken game in hopes of delaying its demise a few months, so thought i would throw out this warning.

regardless of the god awful engine that feels like you're playing the game underwater, regardless of the extremely simple boring and uneventful combat that arises from such a strict class system("soon" to change, i know i know), you shouldn't consider this a serious game without a full bank/holding wipe.

for an entire year they allowed every single person to afk naked harvest their way to a maxed out bank in their attempt to appease the casual gamer. this completely destroyed the economy, ruining any incentive to do ANYTHING in the game at all. 

in darkfall 1 you could hardly get iron ore safely while afk harvesting for the first year, anything worthwhile you had to form a clan, conquer a city, build a mine, protect your city/mine, and split the rare ore profits with your clan. or you had to compete with everyone else on the server fighting over very specific mob spawns. this created ALLIANCES, WARS, PVP, CONTENT.

in dfuw 100% of the resources you needed were acquired while naked and afk on an alt - completely absurd. no reason to fight over anything except for shits and giggles. DF1's system of ACTIVE RESOURCE ACQUISITION kept armor and mats valuable for years with a healthy trade economy.

now even though this was reported to them NUMEROUS TIMES IN BETA, IT TOOK THEM A FULL YEAR AFTER LAUNCH to nerf rare ores on harvesting(and lets not forget the near infinite number of rare ores that were all provided in SAFEZONES for MONTHS of the game - LOL)

it's actually unimaginable how much this damaged the economy, the 10% dura loss on death is an absolute joke of a solution for this - it's like trying to stop a ship from sinking by spooning out water.

such a fundamentally broken game has a very short lifespan, all signs are pointing towards it sinking fast, but the AV squad are all still trumpeting away as it goes down, hoping to make it last just a little bit longer. it might be fun for a few weeks when the new classes system comes out, but don't invest in this game seriously - you'll only be disappointed

oh and don't post about any of this on the df forums or it'll just be deleted and you banned.

Comments

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    I have to say in general I agree with you. The things they have attempted with the new game just is not the direction I wanted to see the game go. I find the combat very boring now and no incentive to battle anymore. The game lost the adrenaline rush it used to give me. I quit the game a little while back. BUT if av does actually follow thru with getting rid of classes, after that is done I may consider giving them a 15th chance. It is a step in the right direction. The thing is they are notorious for taking forever to do such things, if it ever happens.
  • LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

The situation isn't as dire as the OP claims. With the natural decay on items from use for the past year, plus the 10% dura-loss on gank recently implemented, the introduction of new recipes and items, plus the natural limit on how many items you can store in bank... The economy is fine.

We are already seeing more people wearing Full Plate instead of Dread, Hardy Robes instead of Imperious, etc.

The game is fine. If you are not rich, you can become rich from selling goods and services to the rich, OR you can just take it from them. Full Loot is a wonderful equalizer for an MMO economy.

Sorry the OP isn't having a good time. I personally didn't like having to hit 5 bushes for a single stead grass in DFO.

The population is on the uptick, and there's a lot of fun to be had. :)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    It is amazing how often in some games that had negative launches that players come back to tell us how the game has changed and how amazingly great it truly is .... But truth be told, if the game was doing so well, they wouldn't need to come here and work so hard at trying to get us to believe it is so amazing. Every time they come and defend it, they are making it harder to believe them.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• revenoffrevenoff Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by Lustmord

The situation isn't as dire as the OP claims. With the natural decay on items from use for the past year, plus the 10% dura-loss on gank recently implemented, the introduction of new recipes and items, plus the natural limit on how many items you can store in bank... The economy is fine.

completely false, you either don't appreciate the magnitude of damage that allowing every single person infinite access to high end resources(FOR A YEAR) in a full loot pvp game has, or you're being willfully deceitful.

to give you an idea - i played for 2 months at launch and had a single alt the entire time. in that duration i gathered enough mats with my alt to last me at least 6 months+ if i didnt gather or pve a single second.  2 months into the game it was completely pointless to loot anything from people i killed below dread-tier and even that was boring looting - my bank was full of it. my clan didnt have to war anyone for resource nodes.  nobody had to quarrel at mob spawns, everyone was provided for by simply hitting a rock.

you actually cannot fathom how much resources people have that played since launch, entire clans can easily subsist on a single person's bank for a significant stretch of time.  the damage has been done, and any measure they've taken to counter it is actually laughable.

• mjmadskillzmjmadskillz Member Posts: 7

Game Launch April 2013-July 9 can no longer harvest rares from safezone https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?375061-Patch-Notes-July-9th

so 2 months= a full year now??? get your facts straight.

The economy is slowly back on the rise. I played since launch and had over 2k each of sele, vele, neithal, leenspar essence. My numbers will start to dwindle soon and I'll have to go out and farm. The situation is not as dire as it seems.

• mmoesportsmmoesports Member UncommonPosts: 161

Right now Darkfall is offering buddy keys.  Anyone interested in the game should simply get one, try the game for 14 days for FREE and make their own decision. 

I don't understand why OP is so obsessed in distracting people. Using our friend google indexing service, I did some detective work and  found out that this exact article was posted on

Someone going around the Internet and posting this article in different game site speaks volume.

Originally posted by mjmadskillz

Game Launch April 2013-July 9 can no longer harvest rares from safezone https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?375061-Patch-Notes-July-9th

so 2 months= a full year now??? get your facts straight.

The economy is slowly back on the rise. I played since launch and had over 2k each of sele, vele, neithal, leenspar essence. My numbers will start to dwindle soon and I'll have to go out and farm. The situation is not as dire as it seems.

harvesting in a d5 zone was just as effective, if not more effective(dont know the actual numbers on rare ores per node), than harvesting in the safe zones. d5 zone harvesting wasn't nerfed until recently - WAY too late.

you're a perfect example of an AV apologist - you think it's absolutely fine you were able to farm 8k rares ores while naked and afk(not counting the ones you used) and you think its fine other people now will have to compete against you with rare ores they have to earn by being active.

Originally posted by mmoesports

Right now Darkfall is offering buddy keys.  Anyone interested in the game should simply get one, try the game for 14 days for FREE and make their own decision. 

I don't understand why OP is so obsessed in distracting people. 

I think it's actually incredibly destructive and shortsighted to try to and garner interest in the game in its current state. the magnitude of their error in the game design is being almost entirely ignored even though this was warned about in BETA.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Ugh another one of these.

First, as others have pointed out, there's dura loss on gear naturally, and an additional 10% loss on each gank. Gear cycles through the economy reasonably quickly. So there's nothing fundamentally broken about the game that requires a wipe in order to fix. They've made the game more active by removing essences from safe zone harvesting, and even recently greatly nerfed essence drops from harvesting in general. So that plus the fact that gear WILL wear down on its own, I'm not sure how you can claim the game is fundamentally broken.

Not only that, there's nothing fundamentally broken about AFK harvesting. I don't LIKE it, and I even made a post suggesting removing essences from harvesting entirely and increasing the essence drops on mobs to make the game more active, but afk harvesting isn't some completely free and effortless task that means nothing. It's still something you have to do in order to get gear. It's not the best game design, but it's not like mats are meaningless simply because you can afk harvest for them. You still have to do that in order to get them.

I don't get why you guys can't just make reasonable arguments for why you don't like the game. Why go to this hyperbole and exaggeration?

Originally posted by Holophonist

I don't get why you guys can't just make reasonable arguments for why you don't like the game. Why go to this hyperbole and exaggeration?

i made reasonable arguments, none of the changes AV have made addresses the magnitude of their errors - not even close.

but afk harvesting isn't some completely free and effortless task that means nothing. 

here's where you and i disagree. darkfall is supposed to be risk vs reward. there is zero risk in afk naked harvesting, and you're rewarded with literally everything in the game. they DRASTICALLY incentivized something that adds absolutely no pvp to the game world, and infact discourages people from pvping because there's nothing worthwhile to pvp for.  there were no massive wars over resources at launch, everyone just happily farmed away on their own little rock.

afk harvesting as a concept isn't inherently bad, there was just absolutely no thought put into the risk vs reward aspect this time around.

Originally posted by revenoff

i made reasonable arguments, none of the changes AV have made addresses the magnitude of their errors - not even close.

but afk harvesting isn't some completely free and effortless task that means nothing. 

here's where you and i disagree. darkfall is supposed to be risk vs reward. there is zero risk in afk naked harvesting, and you're rewarded with literally everything in the game. they DRASTICALLY incentivized something that adds absolutely no pvp to the game world, and infact discourages people from pvping because there's nothing worthwhile to pvp for.  there were no massive wars over resources at launch, everyone just happily farmed away on their own little rock.

afk harvesting as a concept isn't inherently bad, there was just absolutely no thought put into the risk vs reward aspect this time around.

These are all arguments that I myself made in the thread I made: https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?389426-Remove-essences-from-harvesting-increase-essence-drops-from-mobs

I agree that there is basically no risk/reward involved in afk harvesting, and if you read through that thread (it's long :/) you'll see how fervently I argued with some guy about these exact things. I don't think AFK harvesting is good for the game, but it's not fundamentally "broken." AFK harvesting doesn't give free stuff, you still have to spend time and a little bit of effort. It's just that the activity itself doesn't bring activity/pvp to the open world, where a more active system would do that. So I disagree with the hyperbole, and it's threads like these that scare people away from playing a game they may actually enjoy.

The other thing is they've already done things to fix this and contrary to what you say, a wipe isn't necessary. Nothing that happened a year ago, or even 3 - 6 months ago matters at all. Gear breaks down, so all you have to do is fix the source of the problem, and it'll correct itself. 

The other thing is they've already done things to fix this and contrary to what you say, a wipe isn't necessary. Nothing that happened a year ago, or even 3 - 6 months ago matters at all. Gear breaks down, so all you have to do is fix the source of the problem, and it'll correct itself. 

then we disagree on the magnitude of the situation. my bank is maxed, if i were to resub i wouldnt have to farm a single day for easily 6+ months and during that entire time im out in the world preying on the suckers that are just now getting into the game and trying to build a bank by active means.

why would i bother resubbing when there's literally zero incentive for me to go out and fight? my character is progressed to the point i no longer care, and my bank is as well(AFTER 2 MONTHS! - it took 3 years to max a bank in darkfall1). sure after 6 solid months where i put zero effort into gaining resources MAYBE my bank will dwindle.  or maybe it will just be filled with all the stuff the poor dumb noobs actively gathered and i came by in a dread set and took off them.

there are simply too many banks like mine that exist to have a functioning economy where people are EAGER TO FORM ALLIANCES TO GO FIGHT WARS AND GET RESOURCES

without that, the game has nothing

then we disagree on the magnitude of the situation. my bank is maxed, if i were to resub i wouldnt have to farm a single day for easily 6+ months and during that entire time im out in the world preying on the suckers that are just now getting into the game and trying to build a bank by active means.

why would i bother resubbing when there's literally zero incentive for me to go out and fight? my character is progressed to the point i no longer care, and my bank is as well(AFTER 2 MONTHS! - it took 3 years to max a bank in darkfall1). sure after 6 solid months where i put zero effort into gaining resources MAYBE my bank will dwindle.  or maybe it will just be filled with all the stuff the poor dumb noobs actively harvested for and i came by in a dread set and took off them.

there are simply too many banks like mine that exist to have a functioning economy where people are EAGER TO FORM ALLIANCES TO GO FIGHT WARS AND GET RESOURCES

without that, the game has nothing

I haven't farmed in I don't know how long because I typically net gear from pvp. That's kind of how a full loot pvp game goes. PK's in UO rarely had to farm for gear either. If you're not netting gear from pvp, your bank won't last 6 months. If it does, then you're an EXTREME case and not representative of the entire population. Get in comms during any siege with a lot of "regular joe" type players and after they lose a few good gear bags, they get discouraged, cause they don't have intricate sets, dread sets, imperious sets for days. Maybe you do (maybe not), but not everybody does. 

As for your question about incentive to go out and fight: I mean it's a video game, technically there's nothing objective to fight over. But my alliance until recently fought to take and hold most of ruby. That was kind of our goal. Because of the new aoi system, the more holdings you have near each other, the more benefit you get from farming nearby mobs. This made the duneshaper spawns close to our holdings very profitable. Over the past week or so we've been in kind of a downward spiral losing holdings to the LM/TDL alliance because I guess they want ruby, or maybe they just don't like us? I've never really understood this complaint about not having anything to fight over. You fight over territory to control mob spawns, and you fight because of politics, and you fight because you like fighting.

I've never really understood this complaint about not having anything to fight over. You fight over territory to control mob spawns, and you fight because of politics, and you fight because you like fighting.

if the game were to be relaunched now, you would fight to gain cities primarily because they are a very good source of rare ores and secondarily for the reasons you listed. because there's already 100000000000000 rare resources in circulation from non-city resource nodes, cities were never incentivized enough to where you REALLY FUCKING WANT to take over a city - not just kind of mildly interested in it and if you don't get the property who cares, there's plenty to go around.

• HealingHandsHealingHands Member Posts: 9

Wow you must have no-lifed the shit out of this game to have 6 months+ worth of equipment in your bank where you can pvp non-stop. "AFK" harvesting still means you sit at your computer playing other games or watching TV switching from node to node and then banking every once in a while... which meant hours spent on your desk/computer. It's not like you clicked a button and left to work while your character gathered.

Anyway, highly doubt you have enough equipment to last you 6 months of straight pvp unless you're rolling with COE crutching on the likes of huggies or hey bro so your K/D ratio is way off. Unless you mean you got a bank full of full plate and neithals and medium pots... wait, that's what you mean right? There's not even enough bank space to fill-up on r70s to last 6 months.

Game is far from perfect (prepare to see you ignore this line and call me a blind fanboy in 3... 2... ) but wow it is not even close to being the terrible game you think it is. Let me take a super wild guess... you played df1... you let the game take over your life until your self-worth was entirely dependent on its small, core group of players until the bitter end... DF:UW came out and was different... you vowed to your ancestors to hate on DF:UW until it burned to the ground and you've restored honor to your broken down e-penis.

Let me give you some advice friend. Move on with your life. There's so much more to life than holding on the hate. Let it go. Or keep wasting away inside, trying to sooth your inappropriately deep wounds from the closing of DF1 by repeat-posting the same disparaging thread on forum after forum, calling out "fanboys" and "advocates" for their one-sided representation of the game and calling anyone who disagrees names-

Oh wait, sounds a lot like you.

TL;DR

OP: Waaah Waaah games not what I want it to be... *sniffle*... I'll ... I'll get my r-r- REVENGE by posting exaggerated hate-posts chance I get! *sniffle*

Originally posted by HealingHands

Anyway, highly doubt you have enough equipment to last you 6 months of straight pvp unless you're rolling with COE crutching on the likes of huggies or hey bro so your K/D ratio is way off. 

yep rolling with the legendary huggs, whose bank alone could fuel our entire clan for like a year easily

didn't really see anything else in your post, just flames. AV has put the game in a disastrous situation by their decisions, i'm simply outlining why the game has a very short lifespan because of them.

I've never really understood this complaint about not having anything to fight over. You fight over territory to control mob spawns, and you fight because of politics, and you fight because you like fighting.

if the game were to be relaunched now, you would fight to gain cities primarily because they are a very good source of rare ores and secondarily for the reasons you listed. because there's already 100000000000000 rare resources in circulation from non-city resource nodes, cities were never incentivized enough to where you REALLY FUCKING WANT to take over a city - not just kind of mildly interested in it and if you don't get the property who cares, there's plenty to go around.

I just don't think you can say that with any kind of certainty. People still need and craft gear. It wears down relatively quickly, especially with the increase pvp dura loss plus the 10% gank dura loss. Like I said, it's not very likely you have 6 months worth of gear in your bank unless you net gear from pvp. If you do have that much, then you're an extreme example and not the norm. If you do net gear from pvp (even considering the dura loss), then you're always gonna have too much gear anyway... just the nature of a full loot game.

Who are you in-game btw?

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428

According to steam charts the average number of people playing is 29... is that an uptick?

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    Wish I had a maxed out bank.  I have been harvesting since day 1 and am still broke as a joke.  I do have 160k prowess to show for it.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    Originally posted by fascism

According to steam charts the average number of people playing is 29... is that an uptick?

There is 29 in Sanguine alone.  My clan just messed up duals going on at a city that had at least double the amount in Sanguine.

Steam is a buggy POS to put into Darkfall so nobody uses it.  Also Steam players are COD nerds that play COD.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    It is amazing how often in some games that had negative launches that players come back to tell us how the game has changed and how amazingly great it truly is .... But truth be told, if the game was doing so well, they wouldn't need to come here and work so hard at trying to get us to believe it is so amazing. Every time they come and defend it, they are making it harder to believe them.

Well said. I don't think that anyone contemplating buying/playing the game is swayed by the

(population is rising) (they are doing a better job) posts etc:

Fans that defend games and trivialize constructive posts, that dose not  adhere to there opinions

do the game they support more harm than good.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

completely false, you either don't appreciate the magnitude of damage that allowing every single person infinite access to high end resources(FOR A YEAR) in a full loot pvp game has, or you're being willfully deceitful.

You clearly don't realize that full loot means it doesn't matter how many resources someone has, you can take it. You can take their armor on the battlefield. You can sneak into their city and catch them overloaded with a crafting bag.

As long as you have the resources to enjoy the game, it shouldn't bother you how many dread sets or neithal essences someone else has in their bank. You can take it from them again and again.

This discussion has been closed.