Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for regular EVE players

asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

The game was released over 10 years ago.  I played it for a few months back around '06, and would generally resub again every few years to see how things are.  I always wanted to like Eve a lot more than I actually did, which is unfortunate.

Anyway, one thing that has struck me is how the game seems to be largely the same today as it was at release.  Some exceptions, like the Asian race and the weird "walk around your cabin alone" experience stand out, but nothing really game changing.  Just doing a once-over at the list of expansions makes them sound more like regular patches rather than actual "expansions" that expand the game.

I do remember there was a graphics update some years back, but I also remember being pretty underwhelmed by it, mostly since there's only so much you can update when your game is 90% background and 10% small-ass-objects-you-can't-see.

So my question is this:  How has EVE changed, or evolved over the last decade?  Does it feel like the game has actually grown at all, or do you feel like you're playing the same game you were playing 10 years ago?

You make me like charity

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by asmkm22

The game was released over 10 years ago.  I played it for a few months back around '06, and would generally resub again every few years to see how things are.  I always wanted to like Eve a lot more than I actually did, which is unfortunate.

Anyway, one thing that has struck me is how the game seems to be largely the same today as it was at release.  Some exceptions, like the Asian race and the weird "walk around your cabin alone" experience stand out, but nothing really game changing.  Just doing a once-over at the list of expansions makes them sound more like regular patches rather than actual "expansions" that expand the game.

I do remember there was a graphics update some years back, but I also remember being pretty underwhelmed by it, mostly since there's only so much you can update when your game is 90% background and 10% small-ass-objects-you-can't-see.

So my question is this:  How has EVE changed, or evolved over the last decade?  Does it feel like the game has actually grown at all, or do you feel like you're playing the same game you were playing 10 years ago?

The game is the same in the sense that it revolves around flying spaceships from here to there and doing stuff with them.

It is different in the sense that there are dozens of new ships and modules, new mechanics, there are new types of space, there are new things to do and the game is way better at letting you do them. And also CCP have done two graphics upgrades since 06 and are almost completed with a third.

The point of EVE is that the "content" is primarily interaction with other players. "New content" means "new and better ways to interact with other players". Not "Dungeon reskin #13 with ALL NEW PURPLEZ!!!"

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258

Eve's expansions are just that, something that actually expands the game world. Unlike most MMOs, an expansion just replaces older content with new content by turning it obsolete and raising the vertical bar higher and higher where Eve strives in maintaining horizontal progression instead. This is why 11 years after the game was launched we're still mining veldspar and flying t1 frigates - because those things weren't powercreeped to oblivion and still have a meaningful reason to exist in the game world.

There have been some quality content in the past, namely wormholes, incursions, factional warfare to begin with. Most expansions in the last 2 years have been more about rebalancing than implementing new shiny stuff due to player demand. I do think Odyssey was rather meh in terms of content, though.

It's a matter of taste to me.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Changes to certain ships has seen me swap out old favorites for new favorites.

I explore less since the exploration changes because more players are doing it or they nerfed the sites I want to explore.

They didn't have PI when I first started and when it first came out I was making highly refined PI goods but since POCOs I don't bother with that and just sell basic goods.

The coming changes this summer will probably have me stop using the noctis altogether.

I'm going to suffer a career loss this summer due to the coming changes.

Mining is the first thing I did in eve online with dreams of commanding a hulk but today I'd rather do anything but mine and especially not in a hulk.

I've certainly seen the behavior of criminals change since crime watch.

I rarely see Orcas or freighters anymore.

The expansions might not seem like a lot but they've changed the things I do in game and not always for the better.

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

It got better in some ways and worse in others. 

One of my least favorite changes is making it easier for people in all areas of space to flat out avoid pvp by using interceptors as shuttles. 

One of my favorite changes is the rebalancing of the ships so we don't have to keep seeing the same exact fleet comps day in and day out.

Incursions are great ways to make isk but are generally filled with shitty people and I hope they die.