Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heroes of Might and Magic III

CabalocCabaloc Member Posts: 116
Started playing this, was wondering if theres a way to take troops I have in castle and send them to my hero thats far away ? I got a feeling this game is gonna cost me a lot of sleep, having angels and gryphons is to much hehe. Thanks 

Comments

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

Most random question ever!

Thankfully it's about one of the best strategy games ever made. You can't send troops to heroes far away but buying more heroes is really cheap. Always buy at least 2-3 extra heroes and use a few as a errand boy to deliver troops wherever you see fit.

• pharmenzapharmenza Member Posts: 19

First, yes sleeping is now a thing of the past.

And second, no you cant send troops by any other means than with heroes.  Like said above you can use other heroes as errand boys.  If you get earth magic expertise and the ability to cast town portal you open up for another strategy.  Whenever you take a new town teleport back and forth, to reinforce your hero,  This also works as sort off a mobile defense, since you then can send your hero to the hotspot where you need him/her the most.

Hmmm, I never thought I would be giving advice on this game.  Have fun its one of the best games aver made.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

As others have suggested, you will probably need a bunch of heroes to be used as errand boys. It is even possible to set up a 'relay' as such so that an army can be moved a long distance in a single turn.

If you want an extreme challenge, apparently the campaigns on the harder difficulties are almost impossible. But I find the game shines the most with hotseat/scenarios.

Anyway, I love threads like this that bring up questions on old school games. Such nostalgia.

O_o o_O

• CabalocCabaloc Member Posts: 116
    Ok thanks for quick replys, so its like this. I have a hero in town with troops and ferry him to the hero that needs them ? Ok the magic building, I see spells there but can't seem to use them, something I'm overlooking ? Doing the campaigns on easy mode and once I finish all of them will try the scenarios . Old school games rock, some of them I missed along the way but getting around to them  =)
  • pharmenzapharmenza Member Posts: 19

Hi

To use spells above lvl 2 you need the hero skill wisdom.  basic=lvl3 spells advanced=lvl4 and expert=lvl5

You also need to have the mana.  I'll explain the hero stats, you might already know, but anyhows..

Knowledge= gives you 10 points in mana        Spellpower= increases damage (read on the spells)

Attack= added to attack stat of your creatures, each point above your opponents defence increases damage to that creature with 10%

Defence= Same as attack, only in reverse.  Each defence point above opponents attack gives you 5% less damage.

Cheers

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Get a brother to play/accost a strange and force them to play/clone yourself and play with yourself (that sounded better in my mind) in hotseat because it is much more fun that way... I remember back in 1999 when this game was still coming out me and my brother played the demo every way possible... we even managed to get late game units XD.

I'm finding my groove now, 3 heroes seems to be the magic number . My home town got surprised attack first time and the attacker never had a chance hehe. Found out I can play a necro with skeletons and such, now thats what I'm talking about. I'll post questions as they come, thanks everyone  =)
  • BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by Cabaloc
    Ok thanks for quick replys, so its like this. I have a hero in town with troops and ferry him to the hero that needs them ? Ok the magic building, I see spells there but can't seem to use them, something I'm overlooking ? Doing the campaigns on easy mode and once I finish all of them will try the scenarios . Old school games rock, some of them I missed along the way but getting around to them  =)

you cast spells through your hero - besides the wisdom explained in one of the previous post, you also have to check if hero actually have a spellbook (nonmagic heroes starts w/o it) - if he doesnt, click on magic guild building while hero is in town, he will be offered to buy it.

most of the spells can be cast only in combat, few outside of it.

I'm finding my groove now, 3 heroes seems to be the magic number . My home town got surprised attack first time and the attacker never had a chance hehe. Found out I can play a necro with skeletons and such, now thats what I'm talking about. I'll post questions as they come, thanks everyone  =)

actually other then some of the smallest maps, i would go with full 8 heroes (actually you can have more then that, but lets go with 8) - you can use them as erand boys, to send them each week to get stuff/monsters from the outside-of-town building and most importantly, you can have heroes who have either skill (the one giving money) or specialization which gives you money/materials each day

• CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274
    In the newer ones you can. They are linked together and you can buy all the troops out of one town which is what I like. But ya, get use to having tons of heroes going back and forth

Is there a preferred build order ?   I start with like blacksmith or town hall I think its called and the gryphon upgrades to royal gryphons . Seems like my hero runs out of spell points fast as well
  • CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274
    For me I upgrade Castle and Townhall first. Townhall all the way then castle one then some unit buildings then castle the rest of the way. 

Is there a preferred build order ?   I start with like blacksmith or town hall I think its called and the gryphon upgrades to royal gryphons . Seems like my hero runs out of spell points fast as well

i usually go tavern - town hall - marketplace - magic guild - blacksmith - city hall - shooting unit - citadel

then depending on the resources i have, but trying to get to capitol asap

Someone help me !!  I can't stop playing

Next question, When you level up and say the hero is a knight, should I even bother picking magic upgrades or focus on other perks or skills whatever its called ?

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    In my attempt to catch up on all the games I missed (I started gaming around 2005), I bought this on GOG and still have it sitting on my shelf.  Maybe one of these days I will actually play it.  
  • LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Started playing this, was wondering if theres a way to take troops I have in castle and send them to my hero thats far away ? I got a feeling this game is gonna cost me a lot of sleep, having angels and gryphons is to much hehe. Thanks 

Best Heroes ever, you'll need the Earth Mastery ASAP so that you can use town portal and teleport to any town at will. Considering your far away hero has a town nearby and if your playing a random skirmish game. If you're playing the story line, it's a whole different story, you'll need to create new heroes to send the troops to your far away hero. Earth, Air, Armorer, Intelligence, Logistics, Path Finding, Wisdom, Leadership are your best friends. Unless you play the op necromancer (Sandro 4 Life)  then you'll have necromancy instead of leadership.

Originally posted by LeGrosGamer

Best Heroes ever, you'll need the Earth Mastery ASAP so that you can use town portal and teleport to any town at will. Considering your far away hero has a town nearby and if your playing a random skirmish game. If you're playing the story line, it's a whole different story, you'll need to create new heroes to send the troops to your far away hero. Earth, Air, Armorer, Intelligence, Logistics, Path Finding, Wisdom, Leadership are your best friends. Unless you play the op necromancer (Sandro 4 Life)  then you'll have necromancy instead of leadership.

i completely agree, only i would maybe go with offense (melee char) or sorcery (magic char)  instead of leadership or path finding - it also depends quite a bit on heroes specialization.

So far I like archers,marksmen types and 3 angels just destroys. Sometimes when the computer takes his turn, I'll see a hero, is that my ally or enemy ?
    So far I like archers,marksmen types and 3 angels just destroys. Sometimes when the computer takes his turn, I'll see a hero, is that my ally or enemy ?

there are no allies, only you and enemies

btw, did you noticed that griffons do "counterattacks" to more then one (upgraded version to all) physical attacks against them? :)

Yes sir, I like the royal gryphons and castle type is all I tried so far. Iron golem thingys can be a pain for me with how I set up but I widdle those down by the time they get in melee range with marksmen or druids. Still trying to figure out about the town portal spell, I never see it in my book and I train the heck out of magic.
  • TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Yes sir, I like the royal gryphons and castle type is all I tried so far. Iron golem thingys can be a pain for me with how I set up but I widdle those down by the time they get in melee range with marksmen or druids. Still trying to figure out about the town portal spell, I never see it in my book and I train the heck out of magic.

Each towns mage guild will teach a set number of spells that are RANDOMLY chosen from the list of spells for that given level.

So level 1 mage guild will teach 4 spells of level 1, randomly chosen from 15 level 1 spells possible. Level 2 will teach 3 spells, so on and so on. Town portal is a level 4 spell. You only get 2 spells. So building multiple mage guilds in each city you control is crucial to building up magic.

Originally posted by Tsuru

Each towns mage guild will teach a set number of spells that are RANDOMLY chosen from the list of spells for that given level.

So level 1 mage guild will teach 4 spells of level 1, randomly chosen from 15 level 1 spells possible. Level 2 will teach 3 spells, so on and so on. Town portal is a level 4 spell. You only get 2 spells. So building multiple mage guilds in each city you control is crucial to building up magic.

Ahhh I see now, I was only working 1 mage guild. Thanks  =)

Originally posted by Tsuru

Ahhh I see now, I was only working 1 mage guild. Thanks  =)

there is another problem - when scenario (standalone or in campaign) is made, creator can select exactly which spells will be available and which will not - and in some scenarios town portal (and dimension doors) are "prohibited" (it cannt appear in mage guild)

I was reading theres a penalty for having different units with your hero, is it that bad ? also how are clerics for a main hero ?
  • TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297
    I was reading theres a penalty for having different units with your hero, is it that bad ? also how are clerics for a main hero ?

Each type of hero has its own strengths and weaknesses and when leveling up tend to get skills that are for said hero. Its more of what you think is good. As far as units go, having 3 different faction units will cause you to have -1 morale. But if you already have high morale, it may not be that bad. Or if you have an undead thats already a -1 morale.

Moving along and I been working on building my angels and marksmen, about how many should I have ?