Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

150 Dollars

BinafusBinafus Member UncommonPosts: 230

So I spent 150 dollars to start playing ArcheAge Alpha yesterday.

I'm happy about it, i get some stuff when the game goes live and I get to play for free until it goes live.

The game is fun, I spend money on things I want.

It gives the company more money, more people spend on games there more games there will be and with larger budgets.

The people who want free games I'm helping make it possible for you to play free.

Why does this bother so many people on these forums?

Do you not want more games?

Do you not want F2P games?

Do you just not want me to have Fun?

I just don't get it.

Actually I paid 300 yesterday bought two accounts, does that make me double bad?

Comments

• DeifactDeifact Member Posts: 2

You're free to spend your money however you want. I don't really understand why there is an alpha anyway, isn't the game already up and running (and has been for a few years...) in other countries? Is it just alpha testing translation text? 

To me, it just seems like another "what can we get away with?" from MMO devs. The industry has been going downhill fast and by spending the 150 dollars you are effectively validating and even approving of this behaviour. Paying just standard box price in order to get alpha/beta access is cheeky since you are basically testing their game for them but because people are impatient they know they can rip you off.

Oh well, again its your money!

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Deifact

To me, it just seems like another "what can we get away with?" from MMO devs. The industry has been going downhill fast and by spending the 150 dollars you are effectively validating and even approving of this behaviour. Paying just standard box price in order to get alpha/beta access is cheeky since you are basically testing their game for them but because people are impatient they know they can rip you off.

Pretty much this.

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587

People are not getting 'ripped off'. The people spending the $150 know what they are getting for their money. Those people, my self included, have made a conscience decision to spend the $150 to play AA now, get a 3month sub when it comes out, and $75 worth of ingame shop items. Trion isn't lying to us about what we are getting. They are giving us what we expect for the price they advertise.

You think this 'deal' is a rip off. These two things are not the same.

• gorgopodisgorgopodis Member Posts: 2

I dont think that guy is true, he is trolling

I can believe there people who spend 300 euros just to play an alpha version

I don't know why I keep bothering to post about this, but here it goes again.

Most of the people, i think, are not paying $150 just to play in the alpha. Let's take me for an example. I thought long and hard about shelling out $150. It's no small amount of money to put out up front for a game. I've been following AA for a long time, and decided this was a good deal, FOR ME. I'm relatively sure I'll like it enough to want to play for 3months after release, hell, FF XIV held me that long, AA aught to. I will  also get $75 worth of cash shop credits. Thats $120 right there... I don't really look at it as alpha testing either. I look at it like, "cool, I get to play AA". FOR ME, this is cool.

For some people, this is not cool. That's why there is more than one flavor of ice cream, because people have differenet tastes. This is not an absolute topic. It's not a math equation. There is not one right answer. It's subjective.

I'll try to refrain from posting anymore on this topic.

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by vidiotking

I usually copy paste stuff; but it just goes through their heads..dem forum warriors.

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

Most of the people, i think, are not paying $150 just to play in the alpha. Let's take me for an example. I thought long and hard about shelling out $150. It's no small amount of money to put out up front for a game. I've been following AA for a long time, and decided this was a good deal, FOR ME. I'm relatively sure I'll like it enough to want to play for 3months after release, hell, FF XIV held me that long, AA aught to. I will  also get $75 worth of cash shop credits. Thats $120 right there... I don't really look at it as alpha testing either. I look at it like, "cool, I get to play AA". FOR ME, this is cool.

For some people, this is not cool. That's why there is more than one flavor of ice cream, because people have differenet tastes. This is not an absolute topic. It's not a math equation. There is not one right answer. It's subjective.

I think the most difficult thing for people to understand is that it's completely OK to have differing opinions. I'm not sure why a lot of people take it as a personal affront. I like the way you explained it, and it's helping me make my decision. I'm currently on the fence, but you raise some good arguments.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by gorgopodis

Except that this is incorrect.

$150 now gives you:

3 months of subscription/premium once the game goes live ($45 value)

$75 in game credits once the game goes live 

So you get $120 wort of stuff for launch - your actual price to play alpha is $30

Consider Elders Scrolls Online - $100 for Imperial edition

- no 3 month sub, you still have to pay $15 past the initial 30 days

- no in game credits or cash of any sort

- you get a horse that's worth 17K gold in game (by level 20 you have the money for it easily)

- a plastic statue

- an art book

Again - to me what Trion give you for $150 is actually much better - but again you don't have to spend a cent - you can just wait til launch and play for free.

In ESOs case - you can't play it for free ever (and it's a FAR worse game IMO than AA, like not even in the same league - again just my opinion)

Wasn't too long ago, I think, we were on totally opposite sides of a game argument. Glad to see we agree on this.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

You know what... Eff them, i am so tired of explaining things to morons who can't see there nose to spite there face.

To me, you, and those who could afford the $150.00 up front, we will enjoy the fruits of our due dilligence, we see the value in a game we want to be apart of... $30.00 or even less depending on how to value the package is a small price to pay for Alpha access in a game that basically is released and just has translating issues.

Bleh, there i go caring about trolls and narrow minded..... must fight the urge.

Lolipops !

• Pig-EyePig-Eye Member Posts: 115

It's all about context.

Example...

I just spent $260 for 2 blackout blinds for my little girls room. Her rooms window's face toward the west. As long as the sun is shining, it's still playtime, regardless if it's past her bedtime (daddy's gaming time). $260 for 2 blinds to me is crazy, but my wife got the idea in her head... But I digress.

I would say your $150 investment will last longer than mine, esp once pumpkin gets her hands on them.

Good luck!

I got your Deliverance!

Where's my banjo?!!

Originally posted by LuthorX

It's all about context.

Example...

I just spent $260 for 2 blackout blinds for my little girls room. Her rooms window's face toward the west. As long as the sun is shining, it's still playtime, regardless if it's past her bedtime (daddy's gaming time). $260 for 2 blinds to me is crazy, but my wife got the idea in her head... But I digress.

I would say your $150 investment will last longer than mine, esp once pumpkin gets her hands on them.

Good luck!

I live in Barrow Alaska, we get a summer of 24hours of sunlight. All you need is $10.00 of aluminum foil and a wet sponge.... Apply wet sponge to window.... place large piece of foil on wet window. Will stay on window for as long as you need and you can place a nice cheaper curtain for the inside. Blackout curtains are nice but yes they are super expensive, Foil is cheap and stays up as long as you want it. 

Anywho just offering some advice ;)

Lolipops !

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

This is whats wrong with mmo's today. Its people like the op that are doing this and making us all look stupid. Paying to alpha or beta test a game is insane

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by Voiidiin

It's all about context.

Example...

Good luck!

I live in Barrow Alaska, we get a summer of 24hours of sunlight. All you need is $10.00 of aluminum foil and a wet sponge.... Apply wet sponge to window.... place large piece of foil on wet window. Will stay on window for as long as you need and you can place a nice cheaper curtain for the inside. Blackout curtains are nice but yes they are super expensive, Foil is cheap and stays up as long as you want it. 

I thought Fairbanks sucked but sweet fucking jesus, Barrow? Fucking move.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Well, at least it's a better deal than those $200 Neverwinter founders packs.

Originally posted by sketocafe

It's all about context.

Example...

Good luck!

I thought Fairbanks sucked but sweet fucking jesus, Barrow? Fucking move.

Wife is a teacher here in Barrow, and i got a really good job, so i am gonna stay till retirement ;)

Originally posted by reeereee
    Well, at least it's a better deal than those $200 Neverwinter founders packs.

OMG yes ! glad i was never interested in that game, those founder packs were huge ripoffs, no incentive to really buy one i felt, not at all like the AA founders packs.

Lolipops !

• BinafusBinafus Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by Hariken

This is whats wrong with mmo's today. Its people like the op that are doing this and making us all look stupid. Paying to alpha or beta test a game is insane

Well 300 is for two people, they were not Euros they are dollars, but with tax it was more than 150 but Obammy needs that money.

I don't know why you think I'm trolling A LOT of people spent 150 in the last 48 hours the alpha server is busy now not like before.

I have 2,000 worth of clubs in my golf bag, is that bad for golf?

The more money people spend on anything increases the amount of money spent on that anything.

I personally think people like me are the best thing for the gaming industry, more money, bigger buggets, more games, etc etc.

I also spent several hundred on CU I want to see the game developed.

I already have a starship for Star Citizen, I think it was 250 or something, that game has more money than it knows what to do with.

I spent 80 bucks on Imp on ESO and I do agree that was a waste of money.

Girls run around with 800 dollars purses, I think that is crazy, whats 150 in relative terms.

I worked very hard, made more money than I really need and enjoy spending it on games.

It is not like my wife is eating crackers she probably has a 500 dollar purse.

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

The game is F2P...

It's like buying items from the cash shop in advance... 

That's basically it.

• SonOfValmarSonOfValmar Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Binafus

I'm happy about it, i get some stuff when the game goes live and I get to play for free until it goes live.

It gives the company more money, more people spend on games there more games there will be and with larger budgets.

The people who want free games I'm helping make it possible for you to play free.

I just don't get it.

Actually I paid 300 yesterday bought two accounts, does that make me double bad?

I am not interested in what people spend their money on. I just see little reason to do so myself considering there are so many games available today it is silly to spend more than 40$ just to play a game. Let alone spend the amount you did to play a game that is unfinished.

There are too many forms of entertainment to spend large sums of cash on any one game, at least for myself this opinion holds true.

I personally think people like me are the best thing for the gaming industry, more money, bigger buggets, more games, etc etc.

I already have a starship for Star Citizen, I think it was 250 or something, that game has more money than it knows what to do with.

I spent $300.00 on CU kickstarter, and close to the same on Star Citizen. 

The way some of these small minded kiddos talk we are the anti-christ for using our money on our hobby the way we choose to.

Honestly, i am gonna keep "wasting" my cash on things others think is crap. My wife spent close to $600.00 on a new iPad, when she already had one from 2 years ago. To me this was a waste but it is her money, she and I can do what ever the hell we want with it. We pay our taxes... have Full coverage insurance on all 3 of our cars, put both of our kids through college, and donate both of our Alaskan PFD's (free money for being an Alaskan resident) to different charities every year.

No i am not trying to brag here, but i am making a point, that i choose and so do others what we will do with our money, and it is our choice what we feel is a value or not. I am far from a burden on society and the money i make is hard worked.

But, no keep on blasting us for buying what we feel is a good value, we will just keep playing it and having a blast while helping debug it for Trion.

Lolipops !

• SonOfValmarSonOfValmar Member Posts: 49

I spent $300.00 on CU kickstarter, and close to the same on Star Citizen. 

The way some of these small minded kiddos talk we are the anti-christ for using our money on our hobby the way we choose to.

Honestly, i am gonna keep "wasting" my cash on things others think is crap. My wife spent close to $600.00 on a new iPad, when she already had one from 2 years ago. To me this was a waste but it is her money, she and I can do what ever the hell we want with it. We pay our taxes... have Full coverage insurance on all 3 of our cars, put both of our kids through college, and donate both of our Alaskan PFD's (free money for being an Alaskan resident) to different charities every year.

No i am not trying to brag here, but i am making a point, that i choose and so do others what we will do with our money, and it is our choice what we feel is a value or not. I am far from a burden on society and the money i make is hard worked.

But, no keep on blasting us for buying what we feel is a good value, we will just keep playing it and having a blast while helping debug it for Trion.

I believe that some people make this to be a personal matter but those people would be mistaken by doing so. It has nothing to do with being "small minded" or being a "kiddo". These inflammatory statements do nothing but reflect poorly on those who are directing them at others.

You see, it is not about you personally. Those who dislike cash shops, alpha and beta purchases, pre-orders, and the like only "attack" or point to you because they see that as a symptom which allows the perceived problem to persist. The people who dislike the current business practices of many in the gaming industry aim their scorn at the companies who make these decisions. You are simply caught in the crossfire of their desire to not have such practices pervade all facets of the industry.

Both sides have logical reasons for believing the way they do. There is no right or wrong, there is no side which is inherently more mature than the other. Turning this into a personal issue is where the disconnect happens between people and does nothing to foster discussion.

However, I will add that everyone can be affected by people's decision to spend more/less money on products. So when people do spend more money to purchase Alpha's, Beta's, Cash shop items or whatever, it gives the industry an indication that this practice is ok to become standard, which affects everyone (even those who do not partake in such activity).

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

A crowd of people have been waiting in line to get tickets to their favorite venue. The promoters are telling us to standby for details on how much the tickets will cost. Among ourselves a poll was taken to determine what prices people were willing to pay for premium seats, which was $460 at the most. A few wanted to pay less and a few wanted to pay more. In the end the promoters decided they would charge $560 for the best seats, $530 for the second best and $500 for the third best.

Now instead of being outraged by charging more than the maximum prices for similar venues, a few decided, screw that I'm going. It's not about if you can afford those prices or not. It's about standing on principle. Now for those who were willing to pay the $460, the lowest freakin price is not even going to give them what they could normally get at the high-end price of similar venues. This is how the needle is moved on these price points. And a few of you just forkin it over. I'll tell you this, you'll continue doing it until you hit your own little threshold. Then you'll have to make a choice of do you fold or call. Everybody has a limit. Some of us just like to slow the pace down.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Jonas_SGJonas_SG Member UncommonPosts: 475

I just don't get it.

So you have made a topic  to justify the decision that you made about throwing 300$ away? 

Feeling guilty? I guess not lol.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

It's still a gamble.

But beyond that, I think this new practice of paying for access before a game is released is a bad idea. This isn't what Alpha and Betas are for. And I think in th elong run, games will suffer for it.

Maybe not so much AA since it's more of a port then a new development.

Time will tell, but I think this practices is going to do two things to hurt gaming. It's going to dilute the effectiveness of the true purpose of Alpha and beta, it's not like we haven't been seeing this happen. And it's going to make players sick of these games so that by the time they actually launch, players will be tired of re leveling every time there's a wipe, a lot of people aren't gonna give a shit when the games actually release due to already being burned out.

• ShephardShephard Member Posts: 69
    Paying $150 dollars for a game that is basically an Aion clone with some sandbox features, is not a gamble it is stupidity. 
  • An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by Shephard
    Paying $150 dollars for a game that is basically an Aion clone with some sandbox features, is not a gamble it is stupidity. 

Stupidity is talking badly about something you don't even know about ^^ oh these self entitled forum warriors..

This discussion has been closed.