Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yet another 8 to 9 out of ten Review rolls in.

Comments

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by Gaeluian
    I'll never understand why someone posts on a forum about a game that they don't like. If you don' t like it, then, why would you follow it anyway?

Welcome to the internet, where people (gamers in particular) spend more time lurking around places to hate on things than they do on things they like. 

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by BeansnBread

Originally posted by baphamet so what about the negative reviews that were done before launch that the community here took as law? if its negative its a good review, positive and its because they got paid. that's how the mmo community here works. the problem with a lot of these reviewers is they compare it to single player games and not other mmo's IMO if this mmo is average then so is every single other current mmo.
    There are no negative reviews on Metacritic that were on or before April 4th.

not talking about metacritic, i'm talking about right here. do you not recall the negative beta reviews that people here took as law?

why is that okay but when someone makes a positive one it's because they did it on launch day? are we to assume these reviewers were not in closed beta and were not just waiting for official launch to write their review?

just sayin..

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

You know what? I have to give OP credit for doing what fans should be doing. While so many of the fans are out here doing "damage control" by attacking what they view as a negative opinion through other questionable means. This OP has gone out and found resources to support TESO in a positive light instead of  trying to throw off a negative light (Which never works).

Now, how much weight these links carry I can't say, I'm not familiar with many of them, but I applaud this thread.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by baphamet

so what about the negative reviews that were done before launch that the community here took as law? if its negative its a good review, positive and its because they got paid.

that's how the mmo community here works.

the problem with a lot of these reviewers is they compare it to single player games and not other mmo's

IMO if this mmo is average then so is every single other current mmo.

Critics don't review games before their launch... Or did you mean user reviews? Metacritic doesn't allow you to review a game before its launch. But there were negative user reviews on the 4th April and they were referring to their gameplay before launch (e.g. beta).

I think people who give 0 reviews should be banned from metacritic. It's one thing to give a negative review but a 0. Those people are stupid as fuck. How many games deserve a 0/10. I haven't played a single game that deserves 0/10. It's just not objective. A 0/10 means the game is exceptionally bad. It mean it's broken, unplayable, is worse than 90% of the games out there and has 0 redeeming qualities.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424
    Originally posted by tinoberserk
    This is for all the people saying that some of these are not reputable websites. The world doesn't end at your countries border. 

Well, from my country, Eurogamer Portugal, they gave it 7 out of 10. Just saying NA really isn't the only country.

http://www.eurogamer.pt/articles/2014-04-23-the-elder-scrolls-online-analise?page=3

Also, the last paragraph echos the same sentiment i see in most reviews:

"In the end,  the feeling i got playing ESO is somewhat weird, because i did enjoy it enough to want to play it, just not at an mmo level. Iwas teh same thing i felt from playing SWTOR. It was positive, but it would have been better if it was just KOTOR 3. That's why i think genre ended up restraining it, instead of releasing it's potential."

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Call it a hunch but I doubt many people have 3DJuegos and Cheat Code Central as their go to sites. 

Originally posted by fivoroth
    I don't want to discredit any of those reviews. But the only review websites which I use and I have heard of are IGN and Gamespot. But even those two sometimes give bollock reviews. I just read the review rather than look at the score.

Metacritic score is 74 which is not that bad. But it's very important to read the actual reviews rather than look at scores. Don't read user reviews. For example, metacritic's user score is the worst indicator of a game's quality. User reviews are worthless. Metacritic is only good for critic reviews and not user reviews.

I can't give you a score for the game. For me it is very difficult to think in terms of stupid scales. It's much more important to point out what you like and what you don't like. There are very few games which I would give a 10 out of 10.

Probably World of Warcraft, Dota, Starcraft 1/2, Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2. No other 10/10 games for me. Don't know how people decide to give a game 8 or 9, how do you distinguish between the two? I can only really score games which I think are sick like those in the previous sentence. THose games were PERFECT so I would give them 10/10

if comparing ESO launch to wow launch and u give wow a 10/10 i would give this at leas a 9 in comparison. in fact i would probably give it a 10 as well.

wow is not a perfect mmo and it damn sure was not at launch. personally, i wouldn't give any of those games a 10 that you listed.

they all had and still have flaws.

I am sorry but I don't assess games based on their launch. WoW was incredibly unstable at launch. Lag, disconnects, server issues are NOT something I base my review on. I assess them based on their gameplay and fun factor. World of Warcraft is the most fun MMO (and probably game) I have ever played. Even with all the disconnects, server queues I was eager to keep playing. My passion for the game just didn't get affected in the least. ESO is very nice but it doesn't have the same fun factor that WoW had.

Besides WoW actually didn't have more bugs than ESO. WoW had few bugs. But it is true their servers get destroyed by the demand. 3-4 hour queues were the norm for the first 2-3 months.

But can you really compare an MMO launch in 2004 to one in 2014? Standards now are different. ESO is way buggier than the majority of recent MMOs that have launched. WoW that launched in 2004 was less buggy. It's fair to compare ESO launch to WoW's recent expansion launches. I haven't played MOP but I heard that went super smoothly.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

74/100 metacritic score and 6.3/10 average user score looks pretty average and most of the 10/10's seem the be from launch day or shortly thereafter.

8 to 9 out of 10 is very generous, too generous if you ask me, but who cares what I think, the numbers speak for themselves.

imageimage
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

I have cancelled any subscription package with this game but I still have access due to my free month.

I had logged out near the spirit camp in ColdHarbour, now last week when I had to do various quests there I came across an horrendous amount of botters farming the spirits. Now I've come across botters in other MMO's, but this is the first time I've seen so many together. I did my duty as a player who wanted to see the game grow, and I reported them.

Now I haven't played since last week, I logged back in this morning, about a week after reporting these botters, I come back to the same area and hey presto the spot that had 2 botters camping a spawn now had 3, and so on and so on with nearly every other static spawn in that area.

To say I was disheartened would be an understatement, I clicked the report button, and then thought whats the bloody point, they don't seem to be listening, they do not seem to be getting rid of this plague, and I noticed nothing had been changed at all over that week.

Now I see this thread is talking about review sites giving such a positive mark for the game, what a crock. If Zenimax can not get a grip their player base will diminish, the botters and gold spammers will out number the real players and in the end no one will win, you'll have an MMO living on life support after it fails to keep enough subscribers.

Originally posted by DMKano

so what about the negative reviews that were done before launch that the community here took as law? if its negative its a good review, positive and its because they got paid.

the problem with a lot of these reviewers is they compare it to single player games and not other mmo's

Critics don't review games before their launch... Or did you mean user reviews? Metacritic doesn't allow you to review a game before its launch. But there were negative user reviews on the 4th April and they were referring to their gameplay before launch (e.g. beta).

I think people who give 0 reviews should be banned from metacritic. It's one thing to give a negative review but a 0. Those people are stupid as fuck. How many games deserve a 0/10. I haven't played a single game that deserves 0/10. It's just not objective. A 0/10 means the game is exceptionally bad. It mean it's broken, unplayable, is worse than 90% of the games out there and has 0 redeeming qualities.

The zero reviews are there to offset those shill 10/10 paid reviews.

Just ignore all 0/10 and 10/10 reviews.

Quoted for truth. I have seen 0/10 reviews say they try to compensate for all the 10/10 reviews and vice versa. Metacritic should put a filter where you can see only reviews between certain scores. For example, I would to filter out all the 0/10, 1/10 reviews etc. for ALL games and movies I review. Just wastes my screen space and time trying to scroll through all those worthless reviews. Also any reviews under a certain word count should also be filtered out if desired.

But that's going offtopic and these are suggestions for Metacritic to improve their website.

• masterdtoxmasterdtox Member Posts: 66

This game is not worth getting a 8 or 9 in the current shape it is, far away from it. Sorry to say it, all the issues and leak of Endgame at launch  is not a 8 - 9 worthy at all. it is simple as that.

PS: i know the new content patch will fix bugs/issues ect bring new raids/dungeons, adventure zone. But ATM once more totally not worthy a score above a 7 and a 7 would be even to kind to give it to this MMO. Small reflection before ppl start to flame i am 50+ and vet ranked. I love this game totally, but i am just being honest about this, and fanboy or not a blind man could see that something is not right with this MMO ATM, to justify a score above 7.

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Originally posted by Scot

The following reviewers gave TESO between 8 and 9 out of ten:

Merlin'in Kazan? (Turkey)

Merlin'in Kazan????...Really?

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    You say with confidence OP that the bugs can be fixed and that the reviews should take that into account.  They could not fix the bugs before they released the game . What makes you so sure they can fix it now ? What gives you the confidence to rely on Zenimax when their own inability is amply evidenced .Where is the evidence they can fix it and why did  they not fix it before release ?
    Chamber of Chains
  • CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274

GamesBeat

Cheat Code Central

Hooked Gamers

Meristation

Impulsegamer

XGN

4Players.de

Strategy Informer

Eurogamer Spain

InsideGamer.nl

The Escapist

3DJuegos

NowGamer

Digital Spy

games(TM)

Hardcore Gamer Magazine

Game Revolution

Check Metacritic for links to full reviews.

I don't pay that much attention to reviews if I am playing the game myself. But posters on this site want to keep telling us about 6/10 reviews, so I am pointing out that most reviewers think that is a ridiculous score for TESO. Reviews are mixed on TESO because it is trying to do something different, somewhat slower progression (nothing like as slow in the old days), no Auction House and other differences do not go down well with many players. Having been fed on a diet of easyMMO's and MOBA's thats hardly a surprise.

I would put it at an 8+ not a 9 myself.

So no one anyone has heard of and was probably paid off pretty easily...Nice. 

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

not talking about metacritic, i'm talking about right here. do you not recall the negative beta reviews that people here took as law?

why is that okay but when someone makes a positive one it's because they did it on launch day? are we to assume these reviewers were not in closed beta and were not just waiting for official launch to write their review?

just sayin..

Well BETA reviews are BETA reviews.

And considering how the game turned out to be they were pretty much spot on.

The game is pretty mediocre and especially the PVE is lacking. Considering a 5/10 in PVE and a 7/10 in PVP i guess the reviews with an average around 6/10 are pretty much right.

and it shows on the reviews... the more time it passes the worse reviews it gets. On metacritic the best reviews are almost all week 1 reviews which tells alot about the state of this game.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

GamesBeat

Cheat Code Central

Hooked Gamers

Meristation

Impulsegamer

XGN

4Players.de

Strategy Informer

Eurogamer Spain

InsideGamer.nl

The Escapist

3DJuegos

NowGamer

Digital Spy

games(TM)

Hardcore Gamer Magazine

Game Revolution

Check Metacritic for links to full reviews.

I don't pay that much attention to reviews if I am playing the game myself. But posters on this site want to keep telling us about 6/10 reviews, so I am pointing out that most reviewers think that is a ridiculous score for TESO. Reviews are mixed on TESO because it is trying to do something different, somewhat slower progression (nothing like as slow in the old days), no Auction House and other differences do not go down well with many players. Having been fed on a diet of easyMMO's and MOBA's thats hardly a surprise.

I would put it at an 8+ not a 9 myself.

Lmao the lengths fanboi's will go....

At least Angry Joe backed up everything he said with in game footage. To counter with a bunch a trashy sites no one has ever heard of is terrible form.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    If you want to compare the relative merits of game review sites, start another thread. To me the reviews that were Under 80 are just as relevant to look at. But there are not just reviews under 80, which is what I was getting at.
  • BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

I always find it hard to trust raw numbers, and like to read the review to see how it is. Scores can change too greatly depending on what the reviewer feels average is. To me I like to see average as a 5/10 like 2.5 stars out of 5. Most reviewers even if a game is average seem to look at it like a grading scale with in the 7 range as average such as getting a C in school. I also would never give a game the highest score possible, because I feel like it would leave no room for improvement. 

If anything the user reviews tend to match my final score for games. Some are overly harsh with 0 scores, and those cancel out the fanboys with the 10s to make a more agreeable average. 

with all that said I would give ESO a totally average 5/10 or 2.5 stars. Still not bad if you think about how I rate things, but would look worse for others if taken in a different context. Review scores need to stop being used as fact, as them by themselves do not tell the whole story. 

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Ye, first day reviews for MMO. I can understand first day reviews for games that have 10-15 hours of gameplay total. For a MMO? Just ignore first day reviews. Be it good or bad.
    Originally posted by BloodDuality

I always find it hard to trust raw numbers, and like to read the review to see how it is. Scores can change too greatly depending on what the reviewer feels average is. To me I like to see average as a 5/10 like 2.5 stars out of 5. Most reviewers even if a game is average seem to look at it like a grading scale with in the 7 range as average such as getting a C in school. I also would never give a game the highest score possible, because I feel like it would leave no room for improvement. 

If anything the user reviews tend to match my final score for games. Some are overly harsh with 0 scores, and those cancel out the fanboys with the 10s to make a more agreeable average. 

with all that said I would give ESO a totally average 5/10 or 2.5 stars. Still not bad if you think about how I rate things, but would look worse for others if taken in a different context. Review scores need to stop being used as fact, as them by themselves do not tell the whole story. 

Thats why Metacritic takes all reviews and gives average of those. And 74-75 is pretty low.

Were you saying that those who give 10/10 should be banned also? No? Figures.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

There isnt a single site i trust anymore, i rather play a beta or snif around the interweb myself before buying any mmo these days.

ESO has solid things other mmo's just lack.

Questing is done wonderfull even if you encounter some horrid quest bug or need to relog.
    All quests are voice acted.
    ESO is a harcore quest grinder and even tough you can farm mobs to level 50 if you choose so at V1 this quickly ends !

Difficulty of the game is good, Going against Molag Bal as a vampire is Nightmare mode x3.
    Even tough you have 5 active skills a block / attack / Ultimate there are TONS of builds you can make.
    Make no mistake once you hit Veteran Rank 1 your "bad" skill selection will get you in trouble.
    If you are a vampire like me then some quests might get you 1 or 2 shotted making the game even for hardcore gamers a challenge !

Cyrodiil is a great zone, its just realy badly implemented in terms of leveling your character...
    I realy wish they would open this zone up for people who get tired of the quest grind and want to walk another path to max level.
    Why Zenimax dint do this is realy realy stupid :(

Graphics are good, toss in Radeon Pro with a preset + ESO launcher and you have a totaly diffrent game engine ! :)
    No more fog and Shader 5 + draw distance on max needs a beast pc, but man its jaw dropping eyecandy.

Community seems shit like all mmo's these days :(
    I have a solid guild so i always group with them, but its like each mmo that comes out brings more and more douchebags.

Dungeon Crawling is ok and even tough i would like to have them a little harder at V1+ i think you also need lesser skilled people to clear those and get used to its difficulty.
    Craglorn needs to be insane tough, endgame is what i am looking forward to the most.

When i need to give a verdict about ESO i would rate it a 7/10 but no where near a 9/10
    I think i can safely say that many people wont make it to V10 before ending their sub.
    This game might be to hardcore for "casuals" to grind trough and with a wrong skill selection your going to die a thousand times.
    As this game can make you frustrated as fack at some points.

Zenimax is in for a rough ride with this one no doubt.
    But even with all its flaws, it certainly has its charme and is a welcome change to all the easy mode mmo's out there.

Again a 7/10 is a good average maybe a 6/10 for now untill they iron out the massive list of class and quest bugs.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    yeah and Star wars was a 9/10 on these sites to.
  • ShephardShephard Member Posts: 69
    Reviews for MMOs mean nothing, both good and  bad.  If reviews meant anything, games like SWTOR, WAR and GW2 would be the most successful MMOs but they were the opposite.
  • venatsvenats Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by Shephard
    Reviews for MMOs mean nothing, both good and  bad.  If reviews meant anything, games like SWTOR, WAR and GW2 would be the most successful MMOs but they were the opposite.

SWTOR and GW2 are both financially positive by a wide margin.

To be financially positive they need to have players playing.

WAR died a horrible death, and was never profitable or positive.