Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

need help. im building a new gaming rig

4 sure its going to be INTEL not AMD.  And the Graphic card is going to be Nvidia so no one say Ati.

Thanxz guyz

Peace out 4rom the Dawg House

Comments

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

I know AMD parts a lot better then Intel...

How much are you willing to spend?

-=[ STAFF ]=-
    [email protected]

What will he do next?
  • SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

duude...

450 dosent cut it

and go with AMD its cheaper...and gramps can teach you how to overclock it.

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

im puttin together a kick ass rig on newegg right now, asus a7n8x mobo, geforce fx5900 128mb, 1 gig of kingston ram, amd 2500 barton, 17 in. samsung crt, antec lanboy case(might change though), logitech cordless mx duo, windows xp pro, western digital 80 gig hd.
    all comes out to a little over 1200, including shipping.
    how powerful of a psu should i need for this rig? and how many fans? the lanboy comes with a 350 psu.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

GB can u ifnd me amonitor?!?!

i need a 17inch with good pixels and refresh rate

and i need it....no more than 150

can you do it?

if u can...can you try no more than 100

eh?

wut do u mean why a geforce fx5900? and its e-vga. and id heard samsungs were good... but it costs about 120. on newegg ive seen monitors for like 95 murt, just go to crt monitors and click the search button without setting any parameters. it will give u the cheapest at the top of the list.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

Here are some motherboards you should look at.

I will give the top THREE current leaders.

ASUS - A7N8X Deluxe
    ABIT  - NF7-S (Rev 2)
    Giga-Byte - GA-7N400 Pro2

As for the hard drive,  it's really up to the person.  I have a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9,  it features ATA/133 with 8MB cache... 7200RPM and it's a 60GB HDD... I like it, it's fast and quiet...  Some people like Maxtor, Seagate or Wester Digital.

As for the CPU, 2500+ Barton is a must!  I've gotten my 2500+ (1.83Ghz) to a stable 3900+ (2.4Ghz) but the temps are to high for my liking...  I can get 2.5Ghz but it's not stable... every make/model of a motherboard will offer a different overclocking experience.

I have Cosair XMS DDR400 RAM.  512MB with 2-2-2-5 for timings... that's really fast RAM! :)  $124 a stick!  Should be worth it.  I bought an e-VGA Nvidia 5900 (same as the one our site is giving away) and there's no complaints there.  I was going to buy the Sapphire 9800 for $243,  but they sold out of them and didn't restock. :(

If you're going to do ANY sort of overclocking,  I would suggest getting at least a 400W power supply (PSU).  I have the Chieftech Sever case and I love every minute...

So far my PC is costing me a little over $700...  but I've been buying it piece by piece.

-=[ STAFF ]=-
    [email protected]

What will he do next?
    I've heard those Raptors are good HDDs.

-=[ STAFF ]=-
    [email protected]

What will he do next?
    I want to get a SATA HDD from Maxtor... those are nice.

-=[ STAFF ]=-
    [email protected]

What will he do next?

Originally posted by Djin
    I was going to buy the Sapphire 9800 for $243...

*gasp* djin! i always though you were an nvidia devotee! shame!:::^b::

i was gonna get that same card, but id heard bad things about some games not working with ati, and the worst thing that could happen to me is having to get another card, like alot more money there.

- Unknown Author

I've always been loyal to Nvidia,  but that Sapphire was a good deal.  But I still bought the FX 5900... ;)

-=[ STAFF ]=-
    [email protected]

What will he do next?

on newegg they always make a point to say in the specs that there is 1 agp port... so are there any mobos that have more than that? that would be sweet, have the best of both worlds.

and ive heard daoc has problems running on ati cards also, its just what ive heard. they seem to be a better value so i might still get 1.

- Unknown Author

i assure you i am, ive become pretty computer saavy since i joined this site. and it is an a7n8x deluxe, i checked.:::^D::

*edit*

my rig updated, i just saw a radeon 9600 with 256 memory that was just too cheap to pass up, only 170. just some1 said something bout the memory being slow in reviews, 200 mhz. but in the specs it says 200mhz x 2 (400mhz), so im hopin its safe. anyway, i updated some other stuff too, and now its under 1000, including shipping.

Aspire (Turbo Case )X-Dreamer Black ATX Mid-Tower Case w/Window and 350W Power Supply

Logitech Cordless MX Duo - RETAIL

GEIL 1GB(2x512MB) PC-3200 (400MHz) Dual DDR RAM, 6 Layer Lower Noise PCB Copper Heat Spreader, Dual Channel SPD Enhanced Model#GL5123200DC

Samsung Series SyncMaster 753DF-T/T 17" CRT monitor - Retail

Asus Motherboard for AMD Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model# A7N8X Deluxe Retail

AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- RETAIL

Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack SP1a - OEM

POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 9600 PRO 256MB DDR DVI+CRT+TV 8X AGP RETAIL

hehe, guess i kinda stole the thread away from the person who started it. the case comes with 2 80mm fans as well. and check the specs on the vid card if u want and tell me what u think. ty :::^D::

- Unknown Author

You should get DDR400 RAM.

-=[ STAFF ]=-
    [email protected]

What will he do next?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=23-126-124

theres the mx duo, i think thats what you wanted. and the video card IS pro. i updated the list, some geil 400 mhz ram. thx for the feedback :::^D::

- Unknown Author

my rig updated, and a bump

Aspire Silver Turbo Case Super Light Weight Heavy Duty Aluminum Server Case w/ 420W Power Supply and Side Panel Window, Model ATXA7AW-AL/420 - Retail

ASUS CD-S520 52X CD-ROM DRIVE - RETAIL BOX

Alps 3.5 Inch Floppy Disk Drive (Black) - OEM

Logitech Cordless MX Duo - RETAIL

WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE

GEIL DDR RAM 512MB PC-3200 Value 400MHz Ultra- CAS 2.5, 2T Command With Extreme Performance Heat Spreader

Samsung Series SyncMaster 753DF-T/T 17" CRT monitor - Retail

Asus Motherboard for AMD Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model# A7N8X Deluxe Retail

AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- RETAIL

Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack SP1a - OEM

BFG Technologies Asylum GeForce FX5700 Ultra

all comes out to about 1100. ok... all i really changed was the video card. geforce is supported by more games, and by reading reviews ati seems to be less stable. and its a kool new card, so i wanted it. hehe. im ordering it within the coming week, just gotta get all my b-day money in the bank. :::^D::

*edit*

changed case too, its really, really badass lookin. its like the honda motorcycle of the pc world. my case wants to be an alienware, while honda wants to be a harley *dun dun schh*. anyway...im gonna get it this time... just need to make sure its all good.

*edit*

vid card changed, added floppy and cdrom drives.

- Unknown Author

grrr... bump, im really actually gettin it this time. really!

- Unknown Author

it was the cheapest 1 gig 400 mhz ram. actually i should change that too, i went and got 2 sticks of geil 512, saves like 30 bucks.

- Unknown Author

geil is ONE of the highest rams eh?

grrr... im tryin to get this thing under 1000, so im replacing the 5700 with an ati 9600 pro. still not quite there yet... comes out to 1073 including shipping.

- Unknown Author

and replace that with the 5600...

how much more do you have to cut off?

*EDIT

duude...the cordless keyboard + mouse....WASTE of 75 bucks..

and besides, are you really gonna sit FAR away from your computer? the keyboard and mouse wires are long enough

actually i do, im gettin this recliner from my bro thats got a little mini desk thing to the right for my mouse, and the a fold out desk for the keyboard, or i could just put it on my lap. and its just too damn kool :::^D::. and i just replaced the 5700, 9600 pro, to save money. ill upgrade to the 5700 at some point possibly... or just go all the way to a 5900 pro.

- Unknown Author

you've got a lot of money....

got 700 so far, my parents say theyll pay 300 of it. they want this pc back bad, heh.

- Unknown Author

just using the integrated sound. and i always use my headset, so i save some money by not getting speakers. and the 5700 costs so much more... i save like 60 bucks. id heard good things about the 9600 so...

*edit*

ok, went and got the 5700, sacrificed 1 stick of ram, still gettin the geil, keepin the same monitor. now im only 30 bucks over my limit, but im hopin i can scrounge that up. gah, i knew i was forgettin something in the rig. forgot cdrom drive and floppy drive. duh me! oh well, only adds like 30 more. there added now.

- Unknown Author