Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Das Tal: An Accessible but Hardcore PvP Sandbox

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Das Tal, a new PvP-focused sandbox MMORPG from Fairytale Distillery, has an ambitious task: provide a hardcore player-vs-player gameplay experience that is still accessible for casual gamers.  With server-specific rulesets, skill-based combat, and an emphasis on group coordination, the game offers an interesting take on what sandbox MMOs can look like.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's Das Tal: An Accessible but Hardcore PvP Sandbox.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

PvP.  Whodathunkit?

See sig for reference.  Good luck with development but this game will do crap.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by azzamasin

PvP.  Whodathunkit? See sig for reference.  Good luck with development but this game will do crap.

I expected to read some cheasy themeparkfanboy quote by moving on to read your sig. How wrong i was! You are spot on good sire.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

PvP.  Whodathunkit?

Yea open world , non linear gaming.... just what everyone wants.  Uh huh.

Well it has PvP,  and a ruleset.  Those are two things that need to go together, IMO.   With small numbers per server, and lots of ability to customize the rule set, it looks like the PvP crowd has a few options to play with here.

Of course as always, being the biggest complainers in MMO's,  PvP'ers will find everything and anything to complain about here.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

PvP.  Whodathunkit?

Please explain why having PvP prevents a non-linear, open world sandbox experience before stating such strong opinions.

-

I like the art direction of this game. That said, it looks pretty clunky and weird too. We'll see where it goes.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This is Team Fortress with very long running matches (weeks?  a month or two?) where people can build things in the game.  I think there's a market for this kind of thing.  The building is temporary, so people aren't going to be nearly as attached to it if players come and take it or burn it down.  It could work, especially with a variety of rule sets.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

PvP.  Whodathunkit?   See sig for reference.  Good luck with development but this game will do crap.

Please explain why having PvP prevents a non-linear, open world sandbox experience before stating such strong opinions.

-

I like the art direction of this game. That said, it looks pretty clunky and weird too. We'll see where it goes.

The way i read it was that a sandbox game is not a sandbox with Just full loot pvp. It will need stuff like interesting crafting and trading, resources, creatures of sorts, housing, territory control. The package that allow the sand to flow in many directions.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

PvP.  Whodathunkit?

-

Pretty obvious why he states that.  Full loot pvp will kill any sand box game.  Even UO had to add a mirror world without pvp to survive.  People who associate full loot pvp with sandbox have a screw loose.  The best sandbox ever made SWG only had consensual pvp for the most part, unless you were a Jedi and there was no full loot.

• dbltnkdbltnk Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by lizardbones

This is Team Fortress with very long running matches (weeks?  a month or two?) where people can build things in the game.  I think there's a market for this kind of thing.  The building is temporary, so people aren't going to be nearly as attached to it if players come and take it or burn it down.  It could work, especially with a variety of rule sets.

Pretty good analysis. You can compare the meta-game to browser-games like Travian. There is a level of persistence that you only have in MMORPGs but the worlds do have an end and clear winners and losers.

[edit for transparency] I'm designing the game.

Game Designer of Das Tal (http://www.das-tal-game.com)

• dbltnkdbltnk Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by sumo0
    The way i read it was that a sandbox game is not a sandbox with Just full loot pvp. It will need stuff like interesting crafting and trading, resources, creatures of sorts, housing, territory control. The package that allow the sand to flow in many directions.

It does have most of that. Crafting. Trading. Ressources. Territory control. The focus is more on a guild level than on a individual level for now though. So more Shadowbane then UO, if you've played those two games. 

[edit for transparency] I'm designing the game.

Game Designer of Das Tal (http://www.das-tal-game.com)

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Pretty obvious why he states that.  Full loot pvp will kill any sand box game.  Even UO had to add a mirror world without pvp to survive.  People who associate full loot pvp with sandbox have a screw loose.  The best sandbox ever made SWG only had consensual pvp for the most part, unless you were a Jedi and there was no full loot.

That might be your opinion. While full loot isn't my perferred style either, I'm not gonna say that it has no right to exist or that there can never be such a thing as a sandbox game with full loot FFA pvp however.

The statement of that poster just doesn't make much sense: "Sandbox = non-linear gameplay in an open world", might be agreeable. But nowhere does that statement exclude any form of PvP. In fact PvP is usually one of the most non-linear forms of gameplay available.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

this trailer is creepy

damn the whole game sounds creepy

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

PvP.  Whodathunkit?

your sig tells me you want one of the five dozens of themeparks that are already out?

dude sandbox = play driven

player driven = player conflict

player conflict = pvp

you don't need to like the sandbox concept, ya know

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    Yet another low budget attempt by no name developers at moneygrabbing through making big empty world with no content apart from pvp and calling it a sandbox.
  • LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    looks good. looks like it controls like Bloodline Champions, which would be awesome.