Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very not pleased with the way that gw2 has developed over the last year.

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    Originally posted by ellobo29

I hear now that dyes will also no longer be in the npc loot tables.... however if you would like dyes you can always purchase them with real money now in the gem store. YAY!

Also now once you unlock skins you can share them with any toon on your account, which is cool and all but you need to buy new items again with real money on the gem store.

That's not how it works.

Actually, he's not that far off.

Dyes aren't in npc loot tables anymore, but you don't have to buy them in the gem store.  There's the auction house and the laurel vendor.

Same for skins: they do unlock with any toon, but you do need to buy stuff in the gem store to actually swap the skins.

Of course real money isn't necessary to buy gem store items.  Trading ingame currency for gems is a valid option.

And crafting of course.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

Last time I checked you could buy 10 for two laurels or something, they're cheap now that dyes are usuable account wide. You can buy dyes in the cash shop, sure, so what? It's just a color.

It used to be 5 laurels 10 dyes but now is 5 laurels 1 dye.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Robsolf
    Originally posted by fiontar

I think I now get why there has been so much confusion. This wardrobe system is nothing like what most people wanted or expected. Instead of something like LotrO's Wardrobe system, we just got a new front end for the same old system, with a few tweaks, good and bad.

I liken it to a hybrid of the LotRO system and the DC Universe system. 

DCU:  Like GW2, you retain the skin for every piece of gear you ever equipped, whether you still have it or not, and can swap it out at no cost.  The skins use no inventory.  The downside compared to GW2 is that this is character bound.  New characters start from scratch.  There may be exceptions for store bought skins; I've never bought any so I don't know.  Also, as far as I know, you can't save several different outfits.  I may be wrong on that last bit.

Lotro:  Like GW2, you can apply any look to anything.  You have 2 non-equipment outfit slots, and can buy more.  All pieces stored in the wardrobe can be used on all characters as well as any dyes that have been applied to those items.  Unlike GW2, dyes are consumed when applied to each item, so the sale of dye is still viable.  Also, wardrobe inventory is limited, and you don't retain the skin for any item you have ever owned unless it is added to your wardrobe, and your wardrobe capacity is NOWHERE NEAR big enough to keep every item skin in the game.

There really is give and take in each system.  DCU doesn't seem to charge anything at all, but it's the most limited in scope.  LotRO has the wardrobe, but charges you for more capacity, which I think is currently maxxed at 120 items; probably room for about 1% of all the item skins in the game.  GW2 gives all your characters access to, potentially, every item and dye in the game without having to use or purchase any inventory space to do it, but uses charges, would you potentially have to pay cash money for.

I still lean toward LotRO being the best system of any game I've played.  For me, anyway, the GW2 system discourages experimentation due to having that up front cost.  Sure, you can preview each look before you spend the charges, but sometimes what seems to look good in the preview just doesn't seem to work once you're out and about.  If I'd had to spend a dollar for every time I've changed my mind about wardrobe pieces in LotRO, my next paycheck would probably be gone.  image

So for me, having the vast number of options that GW2 gives me gets bottlenecked by the fact that I'm unwilling to take the risk that I might end up hating the new outfit later down the road.

When they changed the system I got 50 charges from stuff I had lying around (100% exploration gave plenty here).Unless they really nerfed the charges you get from exploring an area this is actually a pretty good system (havn't played much since the update yet, been away).

So nice to be able to use all my cultural T3 stuff on alts without paying the huge gold cost several times. :)

Tested it and you get 1charge/map, while 1-79 its less (3 to1) i finally have some use for all those 1-79 stones that were collecting dust and ended up with 50+ charges.

And to all people that were somehow surprised: where did ANet ever speak of removing transmutation stones/charges with wardrobe? Wardrobe is pretty much exactly as community wanted it.

LOTROs wardrobe is great AND bad at the same time as you get only 20 slots, i think ive expanded it to 50, which was max at the time (with money of course and its not like its cheap) and it was still tiny.

SWTORS collections would be best, but....unlocking account wide costs waaaaaaaaaaay to much there.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Droosteel

LOTROs wardrobe is great AND bad at the same time as you get only 20 slots, i think ive expanded it to 50, which was max at the time (with money of course and its not like its cheap) and it was still tiny.

I don't understand when people compare wardrobe systems in games to each other.  It's rarely as simple and clear cut as they make it seem.

People point to all the cheap features in games and go 'Look!  This feature, you don't have to pay for!'.

... but look at all the things you DO have to pay for in LOTRO.  I would take GW2s monetization over LOTRO's any day.  ANY day.  :/

Parts of a game don't exist in a vacuum.  It's like when people are arguing about bank size and bag slot size in games but not looking at the rest of the game, and they just pretend as if bag/bank slots are the only metric, and how much crap the game loads you down with is irrelevant. :/

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by Meowhead

I don't understand when people compare wardrobe systems in games to each other.  It's rarely as simple and clear cut as they make it seem.

People point to all the cheap features in games and go 'Look!  This feature, you don't have to pay for!'.

... but look at all the things you DO have to pay for in LOTRO.  I would take GW2s monetization over LOTRO's any day.  ANY day.  :/

Parts of a game don't exist in a vacuum.  It's like when people are arguing about bank size and bag slot size in games but not looking at the rest of the game, and they just pretend as if bag/bank slots are the only metric, and how much crap the game loads you down with is irrelevant. :/

Yes, all wardrobe systems have its ups and downs, and since pretty much every game use it as a money maker (and i think thats perfect example for monetization) all that i experienced are pretty much equal.

SWTOR - pieces only drop from gambling boxes and it costs A LOT to do account wide unlocks

LOTRO - presets are great but actual wardrobe is tiny, and expanding it costs A LOT (at leats it did back then)

GW2 - store any item for account wide skins but every application costs trasmutation charge, some of which you can get through map exploration/daily chests, and if you dont change to often you dont have to pay for it, otherwise pay for charges

OTOH. dye system is by far best in GW2, no question about it 

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

OTOH. dye system is by far best in GW2, no question about it 

Yeah, dyes don't drop in the wild now, but even NOW, it has more =default= dyes than most games have dyes total.  And you can buy all of the dyes at the auction house.  It's an outlay of just a few gold to get every blue rarity dye, and that's 141 dyes.  That's a crazy amount of dye choices. :(

And you can still get dyes through crafting, key farming, or just from your guild dumping 800 billion of them in the bank (Which is pretty much what happened with my guild, communism in action as all the account locked dyes slowly filtered throughout over a hundred people. :P )

• gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164

Don't forget to add to that list of shit features, the fact that unless you do some form of pvp or wvw the daily is now mostly just shit. I used to log in every day just to do the daily and then get back to study. Now, I find I am considering playing less or not at all because I see no point to it. In case you wondering why I would do the daily, I have 9 max lvl chars and need the 1 laurel a day to buy ass ended trinkets!

imo the game was hard enough already with out fucking up world bosses like SB. Now you have to run around chasing portals and if your on a warrior with no range weapon forget it. By the time you get to the portal it is gone, destroyed by other players.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by gw2fool

Don't forget to add to that list of shit features, the fact that unless you do some form of pvp or wvw the daily is now mostly just shit. 

FYI I've been completing dailies without ever doing PvP. They did bump up PvP goals, bit BIG WHOOP.

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151

It's really pretty, questing is amazing, combat good.

It doesn't feel like a MMO though, or even a single player RPG, but something so awkwardly placed between that it looses the charm and it's positive aspects are nullified.

There's no carrot, no motivation to level or explore. Nothing that drives or coerces me to continue playing. No awesome items, amazing skills or potential encounters to look forward to. Just a pretty, ultimately soulless world filled with admittedly very high quality and overall enjoyable quests.

Doing someone's (In this case an NPC) chores for them, enjoyable or not, is only viable entertainment for so long. Coupled with overall poor engine performance, and well...

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Best combat I have ever experienced in an MMO to date. Worst implementation of PvP. So much untapped potential. A real kick in the d1ck. GW2 is perpetual blue balls imo.
  • CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480

This is the problem with the micro transaction business models - unpredictability and we are years away from shaping the culture to one that does not accept micro transactions and the unpredictability that comes along with it.

- The best values and most satisfying gaming experiences are those of the last generation of games. Those games were buy to play with full access to everything the game had to offer and you can play and enjoy at your own will. The next generation of games is littered with micro transactions, it's very unattractive in my opinion.

- Welcome to the give it to my now culture. On the bright side, over the past ten years I have not ready many books, watch many movies, or expanded my preference for hobbies. It might be time for many of us to either grab ahold of the games of yesteryear or jump ship and move on to new hobbies. I've already started playing guitar and all this talk of player housing has inspired me to renovate many projects in my own home, right now I'm completely redoing the backyard.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    GW2 has way too many design issues for long term success. Not that many are playing it now. The only decent populated area is the human area. All other areas are a ghost town. Dynamic events are a huge fail. 
  • ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    GW2 has way too many design issues for long term success. Not that many are playing it now. The only decent populated area is the human area. All other areas are a ghost town. Dynamic events are a huge fail. 

You are'nt even trying.  This game has been doing better than and will continue down its succesful path while naysayers continue to downplay it. Do you even play this game? 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Hey, just letting you know you're WRONG.  No hard feelings.  I've been playing the game and every area is packed.  You can no longer say "on my server it's dead" either.  You are obviously bitter about something so you have resorted to lying.  That's your problem though.  The game is doing great, and while it may not do this well forever, the megaserver idea has breathed new life into the game.

Orr is packed most of the day, with people doing events most of us used to skip because of a lack of people.  I've actually completed DE's I've never done before.

There are even people in godforsaken Timberline Falls and Lornar's Pass.  All meta events are carried out almost as soon as they pop, and WvW still has queues. 

I guess I don't get why you're so upset about GW2's continued success that you're stealing 2012's insults.

• Originally posted by ThomasN7

If you really wanna bash this game that much please find something better. This game is one of the most populated games out there. God... I hate people like you.

• ShephardShephard Member Posts: 69
    The game did have bad population issues on many if not most servers, but now with the recent server merger/mega server, population should be no issue.
  • ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

Maddemon64

"Actually, he's not that far off.dyes aren't in npc loot tables anymore, but you don't have to buy them in the gem store.  There's the auction house and the laurel vendor.Same for skins: they do unlock with any toon, but you do need to buy stuff in the gem store to actually swap the skins.Of course real money isn't necessary to buy gem store items.  Trading ingame currency for gems is a valid option."

Which of course would not be too much of a problem with me if they haven't tried so hard to make it difficult on the player to earn gold in this game. I just got my first legendary one week before this update (over a year since this game released). But my god I shudder to think how hard it would have been to finish the legendary after this last patch.

gaiahunter

"It used to be 5 laurels 10 dyes but now is 5 laurels 1 dye."

I didnt know this gaiahunter. thx for the info even thou knowing this frustrates me even more lol...... which is kinda proving my point.

drakaena

"Best combat I have ever experienced in an MMO to date. Worst implementation of PvP. So much untapped potential. A real kick in the d1ck. GW2 is perpetual blue balls imo."

I completely agree with everything you just said drakaena.

crusades

"This is the problem with the micro transaction business models - unpredictability and we are years away from shaping the culture to one that does not accept micro transactions and the unpredictability that comes along with it.

- The best values and most satisfying gaming experiences are those of the last generation of games. Those games were buy to play with full access to everything the game had to offer and you can play and enjoy at your own will. The next generation of games is littered with micro transactions, it's very unattractive in my opinion."

GW2 gem shop started off very well..... then things started going slowly downhill.... like the frog in the lukewarm kettle of water not realizing the tempuratue slowly rising. I guess LEAGUE OF LEGENDS and AION will continue as the only microtransaction shops done well.

Originally posted by Eir_S

Hey, just letting you know you're WRONG.  No hard feelings.  I've been playing the game and every area is packed.  You can no longer say "on my server it's dead" either.  You are obviously bitter about something so you have resorted to lying.  That's your problem though.  The game is doing great, and while it may not do this well forever, the megaserver idea has breathed new life into the game.

Orr is packed most of the day, with people doing events most of us used to skip because of a lack of people.  I've actually completed DE's I've never done before.

There are even people in godforsaken Timberline Falls and Lornar's Pass.  All meta events are carried out almost as soon as they pop, and WvW still has queues. 

I guess I don't get why you're so upset about GW2's continued success that you're stealing 2012's insults.

Diessa Plateau has a Champion Train!!!!

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Eir said stuff here about previously dead areas being populated now.

Diessa Plateau has a Champion Train!!!!

I didn't know that either lol.  Totally going to check that out today!

• GravehillGravehill Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by drakaena
    Best combat I have ever experienced in an MMO to date. Worst implementation of PvP. So much untapped potential. A real kick in the d1ck. GW2 is perpetual blue balls imo.

Serious question, I was just wondering but why does everyone love the combat in GW2? Maybe I missed something but it seems like a big step backwards...they just replaced resources with 30+ second long cooldowns. It seemed really boring to me. On top of that, there are no mechanics in the game that call for debuffs or support or control skills so most of your skills are useless anyway, it seems like the most optimal plan of action in the game was to equip glass-cannon gear and auto-attack. Maybe it's better in PvP but I never got into it because I absolutely hated the downed-state mechanic.

EDIT: oh it was cool that you could dodge, I forgot about that, but that ended up having a big cool-down too.

Originally posted by Gravehill

Serious question, I was just wondering but why does everyone love the combat in GW2? Maybe I missed something but it seems like a big step backwards...they just replaced resources with 30+ second long cooldowns. It seemed really boring to me. On top of that, there are no mechanics in the game that call for debuffs or support or control skills so most of your skills are useless anyway, it seems like the most optimal plan of action in the game was to equip glass-cannon gear and auto-attack. Maybe it's better in PvP but I never got into it because I absolutely hated the downed-state mechanic.

EDIT: oh it was cool that you could dodge, I forgot about that, but that ended up having a big cool-down too.

People that enjoy GW2 combat enjoy it due to the constant moving combat.

There are many skills with less than 30s cooldowns, especially weapon based, and some builds are able to almost constantly dodge, due to vigor and other dodge like/block effects.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

This is my problem with GW2 too. I guess I just can't get into it because of the combat even though I really liked the combat in GW1. What I liked the most about GW1 was the metagame with choosing what the precious 8 skills were going to be for completing certain difficult bosses, missions, etc. It was completely tactical and that seems missing from GW2.

In this game since so many skills are stacked (in other words have many effects on one skill) plus be able to swap between two sets of skills at a moments notice for most classes, you have so many things readily available. The crowd control aspects don't seem as important in most GW2 activities as they were in GW1.

I am not saying that that is inherently bad, it is just a system that I personally don't care for.

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

People that enjoy GW2 combat enjoy it due to the constant moving combat.

There are many skills with less than 30s cooldowns, especially weapon based, and some builds are able to almost constantly dodge, due to vigor and other dodge like/block effects.

I hate the dodge mechanic in GW2. It looks really lame to me to see all of these characters rolling about everywhere, especially those in platemail and all the while wielding large weapons. I don't take issue with having to move a lot in combat, it is just GW2's implementation that I do not care for.

To OP, I don't see anything really game breaking in your complaints, but then I was never really into the dye/looks aspect of either GW1 or GW2. It seems like ANet are trying to convince people who like fluff to pay somehow or have some trade-offs for fluff. I think that is ok, much better than forcing people to pay for what I would deem 'essential' aspects of play like what ToR has with having to pay money to unlock hotbars in a game that has a bazillion skills. Is it annoying to be nickle and dimed on fluff? Yes, definitely, but then I still prefer, even after all these years, a subscription model where you get access to everything.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161

Personally, I like it because of it's reactive nature. About to get bursted? Dodge. CC'ed? Stun break. Target about to heal? Fear or Stun them. Anyone who puts all of their skills and utilities in cooldown is doing it wrong, although there are weapons that needs to be on cooldown (Necro Staff comes in mind). I hate to say it, but Auto-attack is your primary DPS, while the other skills serve a specific purpose in the battlefield.

Complexity changes from PvE and PvP. In PvE, I could care less if my utilities and other weapon skills are on cooldown. But for PvP, I don't have that luxury.

Take for example, Necro Scepter. The #3 skill would deal more damage if the target has a lot of conditions on them. Using it before dumping a boatload of conditions on your target gimps the skill.

I also like that there are nuances on the builds you can do. Just this weekend, I never thought of a might-stacking thief build. The recent EU winners in Tournament of Legends had this thief that gained Might whenever he dodged. His trait line also refunded half of endurance used when he dodged. Also, whenever he used a skill, he gains Vigor, which speeds up the endurance replenishment. It was insane. To top it off, he uses a rune-set that increases his Might duration.

To conclude, I think the reason why I love the combat is because of the build diversity. It's true that some are appropriate to the different game modes, but trying some of them out is fun. And what's more cool is that the recent patch made trait resets free. More builds to play around with; more builds to modify!

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

Oh look..... more nerfs to control gold production to make buying gems more attractive....

The crown pavillion opened up today for the festival of the four winds update. We had the four winds last year and it was fun....the crown pavillion as well was around the same time and it was a very good way to make money (high concentration of mobs and they all dropped loot). Oh but not this year.....

Now you have to pay gold to get the events/spawns activated faster and mobs dont drop loot this year.... I kinda feel sad for anyone working for their legendary now, its hard as hell I hear to save up the mats. And the people are obviously pissed off....... just read some of the post on the forms... "gem store 2"    "5-7 gold an hour?"     "precursor rage"    "GOLD KILL".

People are starting to notice what I have been saying all along for the past year or less. Anets gem store/economy tactics are getting bolder all the time. I was going to log in seeing how the festival of the four winds was kinda entertaining last year....but now im saddended by this news.

Originally posted by ellobo29

Oh look..... more nerfs to control gold production to make buying gems more attractive....

The crown pavillion opened up today for the festival of the four winds update. We had the four winds last year and it was fun....the crown pavillion as well was around the same time and it was a very good way to make money (high concentration of mobs and they all dropped loot). Oh but not this year.....

Now you have to pay gold to get the events/spawns activated faster and mobs dont drop loot this year.... I kinda feel sad for anyone working for their legendary now, its hard as hell I hear to save up the mats. And the people are obviously pissed off....... just read some of the post on the forms... "gem store 2"    "5-7 gold an hour?"     "precursor rage"    "GOLD KILL".

People are starting to notice what I have been saying all along for the past year or less. Anets gem store/economy tactics are getting bolder all the time. I was going to log in seeing how the festival of the four winds was kinda entertaining last year....but now im saddended by this news.

My friend was talking about people like you yesterday, ie: people who were complaining because you can't just log in to run around in a circle and hit a few AOE's and just collect bags in the Pavillion.  This is what ANet is trying to fix and they are NOT aiming to please people like you.

You're damn right "not this year", and hopefully never again.

What you don't understand is that it's not supposed to be "easy" and it never was, I don't know where you understood, especially now (the timing is pivotal here) when your Legendaries are account-wide, that it would be EASIER to obtain them.  There's even a guide on this very site to make your Legendary crafting a bit more relaxed even if it takes a while longer.  But you're not relaxed, you seem to want everything handed to you.

Everything is almost exactly as it was last year only now you can't just mindlessly grind all the bosses.  Besides that, you're missing the other side of the story - people who complain that the game is not hard enough, to which ANet responded and people like you are disappointed by that response.

Did you play GW1?  If you did, you should know that ANet has always played hardball.  If people want something titled "Legendary" let them work for it or let them go play something else.

EDIT: By the way, I also represent the players that are extremely happy that ANet nerfed the champs in starting zones so lowbies don't have to watch geared 80's run in circles collecting bags.  Or was that a bad decision too?