Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wait for ArcheAge or naw?

StonedApeStonedApe Member UncommonPosts: 12
From what I can tell, ArcheAge has pretty much everything I am looking for in an MMORPG. I like open world pvp games where I can kill or be killed just when doing simple quests. The main problem is that ArcheAge still seems so far away (even though it is closed beta), and I'm itching to play an mmo. Any good games out there with at least open-world pvp servers? I don't mind paying a sub fee.

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Archeage is a lot closer than they are making it seem. The "alpha" status it's currently in has nothing to do with being unstable or buggy, I've watched streams and gameplay videos of it and it all seems to be 100% working like the russian client that I played. I feel like they are making it seem so far out so they can release it a lot sooner than people think and pull a lot more audience than if they were to drag it out even longer. It depends on what you enjoy in open world pvp. Theres a couple of decent games with open world pvp servers, I enjoyed Tera and Lineage 2 quite a bit. Although pvp in Lineage 2 is a bit more rare now but it can still happen at any point if someone wants something you have like a certain spot for mobs. Tera usually is just gank squads running around in lowbie areas.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I wonder how the PvP in Archeage will make the game.

Will the Internet Trolls in Archeage's PvP run others away like they do in just about every FFA PvP MMO, or will the positive community outnumber the power of the FFA Trolls?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Will the Internet Trolls in Archeage's PvP run others away like they do in just about every FFA PvP MMO, or will the positive community outnumber the power of the FFA Trolls?

The FFA PVP will help the community punish (and hopefully get rid of) no-pvp trolls that infects themepark communities like WoW's.

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by maccarthur2004

The FFA PVP will help the community punish (and hopefully get rid of) no-pvp trolls that infects themepark communities like WoW's.

+1

No reason for people that whine about FFA PVP to even bother with a game that has it. All they'll do is cry about it and go play the other 99% of games that were actually made for solo experiences on rails.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Show me a case where the FFA trolls have ever done good for the MMO game that had them.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• KalSirian2KalSirian2 Member UncommonPosts: 42

Show me a case where the FFA trolls have ever done good for the MMO game that had them.

There is none, but PvP buttheads like to entertain themselves with the delusion of being decent people instead of just admitting that they have a bully mentality.

On the topic of ArcheAge, I have seen some footage, and while it looks good on the surface, the core mechanics seem awfully similar to all other themepark MMOs. I hope I'm wrong, but I hoped in vain so many times before...

• SytheeverbladeSytheeverblade Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Archeage is an amazing game and it looks like the founders packs may come out this week.  I am currently playing other games until it comes out, but very anxious to get into the alpha or closed beta.
  • HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Originally posted by KalSirian2

There is none, but PvP buttheads like to entertain themselves with the delusion of being decent people instead of just admitting that they have a bully mentality.

On the topic of ArcheAge, I have seen some footage, and while it looks good on the surface, the core mechanics seem awfully similar to all other themepark MMOs. I hope I'm wrong, but I hoped in vain so many times before...

I don't think it's intended to be revolutionary. Just a really solid package...

As an example of what I would consider not solid (for frame of reference):

In one game I might be able to have someone else ride on my mount with me; But, that same mount may very well poof in ankle deep water. And, using it might be pointless any way. For instance; if getting attacked means I dismount (this kind of thing can be even a worse thing in games where you can't attack first from being mounted, as a means of dismounting. Or where you get stunned when dismounted).

Now from what I saw of the videos and had read on the Archeage forums:

Mounts walk up from out of camera view when summoned (as if they had been following you like a ninja waiting to be of use). Can be dismounted with out dismissing them. Can act like a boat for you when encountering a body of water (or swim in tail but this may be a follower thing?). Have the ability to attack from being mounted. And, they actually fight with you and have their own combat setup and progression. Not to mention someone can ride with you.

[I may very well be wrong on some of this, I have not followed it very closely].

I think the idea with this game is:

Lets have a game where no feature feels anything less then fully fleshed out. Where no aspect is an afterthought. And, where nothing is made meaningless by a breaking point in how it works.

...We can hope anyway.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

OP,

I'd recommend looking through the LFG (Looking For Game) portion of the forums.  It seems your thread has turned into an argument over the effects of pvp.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Ask an EVE-Online veteran (3-4 years) how well asses (PVP or non-PVP) survive in it. You may say "But Goonswarm are asses!" not really, they've actually gotten rid of alliances lead by people who would basically go Stalin on their membership (hog resources, have no ship replacement program for PVP ops, etc,etc), they are basically still a lesser evil with all the shit they do because they keep others from going full apeshit by fear alone (the russians also self-police quite well).

• StonedApeStonedApe Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Originally posted by Sytheeverblade
    Archeage is an amazing game and it looks like the founders packs may come out this week.  I am currently playing other games until it comes out, but very anxious to get into the alpha or closed beta.

Has Trion released any information about them being released this week? If so, I may as well not start a new game if this is the case.

Originally posted by SomeHuman

OP,

I'd recommend looking through the LFG (Looking For Game) portion of the forums.  It seems your thread has turned into an argument over the effects of pvp.

I've been lurking on these forums for the past few months, so I'm kind of used to threads turning into something like this. I just haven't been able to find a game I'd like to play. I tried re-subscribing and playing Ultima Online for a little bit, it was fun for nostalgia and seeing a few old friends, but got boring quickly

Bump, anyone with ideas? I thought about TERA, but looking at some of the videos of their PVP got me disinterested, which is weird because from my understanding the combat is the selling point of the game.

How is Dragon's Nest? That looks somewhat interesting.

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    You could always just download AA from another country and play it now, for free. But, I will tell you now that you better be prepared for disappointment, the changes the 1.0 F2P update to the game has made it so you will end up wanting to pay money to get around the vast limitations created to do parts of the game, provided you enjoy the game. The P2W pressure is high in this one.
    Originally posted by Tbau
    You could always just download AA from another country and play it now, for free. But, I will tell you now that you better be prepared for disappointment, the changes the 1.0 F2P update to the game has made it so you will end up wanting to pay money to get around the vast limitations created to do parts of the game, provided you enjoy the game. The P2W pressure is high in this one.

I missed the boat on the Russian beta, from my understanding that is now are locked so I wouldn't be able to play. Is there still ways to join other countries?

• fhnw1988fhnw1988 Member Posts: 64

Well the game is certainly not spectacular:

a) old fashioned combat

b) pay to win for people that want to build a huge imperium 

c) weak endgame

but it will be still the most fullfilling korean mmo nowdays. In korea archage didnt do well, but so do most western styled games in korea. We like steampunk, they like hentai (joke).

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by StonedApe
    Originally posted by Tbau

I missed the boat on the Russian beta, from my understanding that is now are locked so I wouldn't be able to play. Is there still ways to join other countries?

There are a great many ways to get around MMO regional locks. Archeage Source has more than a few posts on how to do it depending on which you are trying to get into. I am playing the Japanese version for now but that may stop soon depending on how long it takes for them to decide which changes 1.0 brought that they are going to get rid of to fit Japan. They need to hurry because the amount of people complaining is astounding for Japanese players. They just received the patch today (technically it was yesterday since its already the 25th there).

But yeah, go there and look at the posts for which ever version you want to get into.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    As it's F2P there's no harm in giving it a go. If you like it you can then spend some money on it, if not the only thing you lose is time.
    Try Therian Saga while you wait for Archeage :3

• TezcatTezcat Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Ask an EVE-Online veteran (3-4 years) how well asses (PVP or non-PVP) survive in it. You may say "But Goonswarm are asses!" not really, they've actually gotten rid of alliances lead by people who would basically go Stalin on their membership (hog resources, have no ship replacement program for PVP ops, etc,etc), they are basically still a lesser evil with all the shit they do because they keep others from going full apeshit by fear alone (the russians also self-police quite well).

I don't consider someone who has been playing EVE for 3-4 years a veteran. I can sell you a 2004 alt off my 2nd account (would never part with my original 2003 characters) if you want to be a "vet" but that's another topic.

I've had a go at the Russian Archeage and have to say it's very good. Probably the best fantasy based game out there at the moment. The FFA does not prevent you from doing what you want in the game, much like EVE. It's possible to join up with players and build safe environments for crafters and pvpers. People just need to work together which is sadly what people have missed out on in mmo's lately. Most mmo's are playable solo, they just have other people logged in around them.

Archeage gives me a feeling of EVE and UO (even LOM 2 & 3) where you need to work together with others to get something out of the game. As soon as people realise what you can do as a team, the better your experience of these type of games will be. Now I'm off back to EVE whilst I wait for Archeage as my Russian isn't getting any better.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

I like the fact that zones go through a War Time.. that cycles. That way you can still get stuff done if you don't feel like PvPing.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
    Originally posted by Tezcat
    Originally posted by Dihoru

I don't consider someone who has been playing EVE for 3-4 years a veteran. I can sell you a 2004 alt off my 2nd account (would never part with my original 2003 characters) if you want to be a "vet" but that's another topic.

I've had a go at the Russian Archeage and have to say it's very good. Probably the best fantasy based game out there at the moment. The FFA does not prevent you from doing what you want in the game, much like EVE. It's possible to join up with players and build safe environments for crafters and pvpers. People just need to work together which is sadly what people have missed out on in mmo's lately. Most mmo's are playable solo, they just have other people logged in around them.

Archeage gives me a feeling of EVE and UO (even LOM 2 & 3) where you need to work together with others to get something out of the game. As soon as people realise what you can do as a team, the better your experience of these type of games will be. Now I'm off back to EVE whilst I wait for Archeage as my Russian isn't getting any better.

I agree with you except your first sentence because I said play not have SP equals to 3-4 years so your point is flaccid because it isn't one I made, the one I made was that someone who's been around EVE for 3-4 years (actually in the game) will know it self-regulates much like Archeage RU seems to be by what you are saying.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

Ultima Online. Guilds formed that would intentionally hunt down the reds. Bounties were made at the bank and people would seek them out. People aspired to play better to catch them. Being a red was hard. So the ones that did do it, did it well. Red's were kept minimal because they'd have no access to nearly all towns (bucc's being the exception), they would be a free kill, have a bounty on their head and couldn't interact with some npcs.

It worked well.