Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Shards Online: Rethinking the Meaning of Sandbox

2»

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    This will be incredibly difficult to balance and have cheat free with player run "servers" and allowing to switch from "real" servers and player run one.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Don't you guys ever get sick of these titles with zero build. Its just vaperware that might not even get made. They should only show new games if they have a beta released. This thing is already getting votes and its just a pipedream.
  • C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365
    Originally posted by Jalitan

I like the concept, but Unity can be very problematic.

uh..that's just completely untrue. 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

hopefully they will put something in place that stops a clan getting togeather to create their own shard and then jsut hand out all the best gear like candy or provide an easy way to grind up skill points or whatever..

I think it will be very hard to stop exploits..

Still its a very nice concept and I will keep an eye on this one.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by justmemyselfandi

The devs will be selling that PMC as their own.  That's why they'll be getting all the sub money and you won't. You create content for their game, you're basically working for free while the devs profit.

And nope, I'm not "working to contribute" to this. I'm an adult who prefers to get paid for my work, not have someone else profit.

At least SOE pays the players who create content for their games via Player Studio.

I guess the same thing could be said to people who create mods for games then..

At the end of th day if you enjoy creating things this might give you a good way to doing and let other people enjoy it as well..

its not about work.. as this king of thing is not work for some people they actually enjoy maknig things and sharing what they have made.. its one of the reasons minecraft has so many mods.. those people who made the mods have not made a penny from them but they are still out there and people are enjoying them.

What the devs are providing with this is the server, the software and all the componants you need to create a shard.

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    I like the sound of this... if players want to see something like this in action they should check out the anime "Sword Art Online" . The first season is about two servers... the second season which will release this fall is about the"seeds" , shards that are released to the world for player made content.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Um...okay so I was partially interested, but whoever put that video together, trailer or whatever...needs to be fired asap...that was just bad.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

Akihiko Kayaba's seed is out of control....  his world seed (dirty minds)

totally thought of SAO when was reading through this and just thought "eh, won't be as good"

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338

So..... basically this is Secondlife 2. 'Rent' land from the company, build your own crap, watch other people have sex all over it >.>

Seriously though, this isn't anything new at all, in any way, shape, or form. Linden Labs itself made sims (what we'll call shards here) where they hosted various stupid little facebok-style easy games after they got the fired project manager for the Sims Online to play CEO for them. There's also places on there where role players have setup shop and built combat systems, weapons, clothing, etc. Difference being that they actually make money selling their crap to the other 'players', so are self sufficient.

Was a good idea a decade ago, not so much now.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    So, they're starting the game with Trammel included, which is what killed UO?
  • ReaktorblueReaktorblue Member UncommonPosts: 21

Eh, not even interested. As is evidence with the player made content in Neverwinter, you will see cheaply made content by players for the sole purpose of power leveling.

For example, here is 10,000 enemies, all you have to do is blow them off a cliff and instant XP. I don't think freedom like that has any place in the MMORPG game space. It does nothing but to trivialize the game.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Yeah, i don´t see how they are going to balance player made shards that give out massive amounts of loot and then allow that character to jump back to the official world.

Cool concept overall, but they need to require each server to have it´s own character.

• ninoslovespieninoslovespie Member Posts: 9
    how did you get green righting?
  • masterdtoxmasterdtox Member Posts: 66
    test
  • OrleronOrleron Member Posts: 1

This has been done before, and it has worked quite successfully.  Bioware did it with Neverwinter Nights in 2002.

In fact, my NWN persistent world server, Avlis, still runs to this day.  With a good group of people running the game, griefers, hackers, and general aholes are not too hard to deal with.  It can be done, and done well.

I see this as a good way to possibly update the game we are still using from 2002, which would be nice.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Shards works well Achesoma because it denotes fractals, different worlds in the same universe... and I am actually interested in this now.

Its another homage to UO, the various servers were called shards IIRC.

I miss UO a lot so I am looking forward to seeing how this pans out.