Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Video] Some intense combat in Black Desert

Comments

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

While I like the graphics I do not see this game which is trying to be the child of ArcheAge and Vindictus as being overly successful in the long run. People who want to play sandboxes in the west do not want that kind of action combat. They don't want it in EQN and they won't want it here. Personally I like action combat and I wish that someone used a variant of the system in GW2, but this kind of action combat is not going to be a solid sell for this game in the west. 

And I agree with everyone who mentioned the AI. Its the main draw for me in EQN (and why I can take the horrid character designs)  because at least the monsters won't just stand there and be targets.

Korean mmos I love you but please, leave the Dynasty Warriors five for a dollar monster braindead enemies who just wait to be hit out of your games. I'll take 3 smart enemies on screen vs ten walking targets anyday.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by ikcin

Originally posted by -aLpHa-  

Originally posted by gimmiblackdesertnow

Originally posted by -aLpHa- Everything is very shaky and flashy with the occasional distortion and i also dislike the the camera distance, especially on the archer scene, it was very chaotic with all the shaking around with multiple mobs that didn't fit into the frame and didn't seem to do much more then try to catch the PC and die, lol. Apart from that, i get the feeling that this game will be extremely grindy but time will tell.
    What if I told you, you can turn off camera shaking and alter camera distance -.- Stop thinking that after you watching one video you know the whole game.
      I watched multiple videos (steparu gaming channel for example), the camera distance was this short on all of them. I never said i know the whole game (i have no clue where you got that from), i said i get the feeling and i wrote my impressions of what i saw in that particular video.
    And how do you feel the game will be grindy, in which part of your body is concentrated that feeling. I'm curious cause I know people feel love, hate, fear, but never heard about feeling of grindy game :)

Are we really discussing semantics now? Are you really that bored?

To answer your question, where all your accumulated knowledge and feelings stem from, your Brain. I called it "feeling" you can call it impression or the accumulation of past experiences or whatever you fancy, Mr. Fancypants.

• gimmiblackdesertnowgimmiblackdesertnow Member Posts: 56

Are we really discussing semantics now? Are you really that bored?

To answer your question, where all your accumulated knowledge and feelings stem from, your Brain. I called it "feeling" you can call it impression or the accumulation of past experiences or whatever you fancy, Mr. Fancypants.

We are not interested in your feelings, that probably don't represent knowledge. That's the point.

Also the question of "grindiness" as a game mechanic, can't be discussed explicitly because it is an utmost necessary part of an mmorpg. Of course it can be implemented well and not so well.

Applying the "Asain mmo" stereotype to this game is wrong on many levels. Therefore generalizing the question of grindiness in that context should be very inaccurate also.

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by -aLpHa- ...
      Are we really discussing semantics now? Are you really that bored? To answer your question, where all your accumulated knowledge and feelings stem from, your Brain. I called it "feeling" you can call it impression or the accumulation of past experiences or whatever you fancy, Mr. Fancypants.

We are not interested in your feelings, that probably don't represent knowledge. That's the point.

Also the question of "grindiness" as a game mechanic, can't be discussed explicitly because it is an utmost necessary part of an mmorpg. Of course it can be implemented well and not so well.

Applying the "Asain mmo" stereotype to this game is wrong on many levels. Therefore generalizing the question of grindiness in that context should be very inaccurate also.

I never expect or pretended that you should care about my "feelings", and using terms like "we" pertains that you speak for the many people that frequent this forum, who knows, maybe there are people that are interested.

And applying the Asian MMO formula to this game is legitimate, it is after all a S. Korean game and past experiences show that there is little to no variation to their proven formula, the game can prove me wrong but until it does, my opinion of it stands.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

We are not interested in your feelings,

Actually, some of us are.

And with that video, I'd like to thank you for taking this game off of my radar.  It's looking like a beautiful world with Street Fighter combat.  Have fun with it.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Getting back on-topic...

I quite like these types of combat mechanics in an MMO, I loved it in TerA (except for some of the animation locking) and Im sure I'll enjoy it in this game should I get the chance to try it.

Of course the style of combat isnt for everyone, but It definitely livens the combat when you have stutter animations which really give you a sense of 'hitting' the enemy.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886
    You all should check out the beta videos, the blur screen and shaky cam was toned down a lot (or there is an option to tune it down)

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• CatbertCatbert Member UncommonPosts: 28

Oh god I was excited for this game but its thw first time ive seen the combat properly and I love it!

I loved playing RIsk your Life (RYL) back in the day and the combat seems a lot like that, does no one else think so?

• gimmiblackdesertnowgimmiblackdesertnow Member Posts: 56
    Originally posted by Pigozz
    You all should check out the beta videos, the blur screen and shaky cam was toned down a lot (or there is an option to tune it down)

Indeed, you can adjust it from 100% all the way down to 0%, along with other stuff like motion blur.

• modusmodus Member UncommonPosts: 69

I'm interested in this game, it looks beautiful.  First thing I noticed watching that is how none of their nearby (i.e. right beside thoses attacked) npc's assisted.  

Realize that game is likely very early in progress, but if it released like that ...

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

This seems like it would be incredibly disorienting.  It's the kind of thing that looks flashy and cool at first, but seems like it would get old really fast.  Especially when you try to play with other players in groups.  It seems like it would be impossible to accurately work together with all the dashing, flashing, teleporting, flipping, motion blurs and camera shakes.

I always laughed when my mom used to watch me play games as a kid and comment that she couldn't watch because she'd get dizzy and sick, but I can't help but feel this game actually will make a lot of players dizzy and sick.  

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Is this an MMO or a 1-4 player action RPG? Wake me up when there are 10-20 players doing all that chop saki fighting and it doesn't feel/look like you got sprayed directly in the eyes with mace.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Not sure how long I'd enjoy all that motion blur and whatnot, it's pretty disorienting and I believe would wear you down after hours of playing. Particle effects were awesome, still looks clunky though. Maybe that's the price you pay for weighty combat.
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight
    Is this an MMO or a 1-4 player action RPG? Wake me up when there are 10-20 players doing all that chop saki fighting and it doesn't feel/look like you got sprayed directly in the eyes with mace.

It has castle sieges with build up castles by guilds

Actually everything you use in castle siege will be crafted even the best gear

The motion blur and shaky cam can be toned down from 100 all the way down to 0%

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

This looks awsome, its like Dragons Dogma combat or games like Devil May Cry

Im gonna play this full graphics 100% motion blur and everything like the way it should be played im sorry if some of you cant handle that saying its disorienting cuz it really isnt in my opinion especially compared to other action oriented combat games.. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URrV3I_J-mk&hd=1

Hope that woke you up

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URrV3I_J-mk&hd=1

Hope that woke you up

Lol you beat me to it, I bet he is wide awake now lol. To think that ESO has the crappy combat tab targeting and BD with full none targeting pulls this off. As someone has mention it plays like dragon dogma's combat which is very good. Oh we'll let's wait for the "Asian grinder" response now he can't question the combat lol.

• sword4hiresword4hire Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

Lol.....it should give you headaches?  Really?  That should be a design choice of the developers?  To give their player base headaches while playing....

please stop....

What you see is the problem with this game.  There is an extreme disconnect with what the game world looks like and the typical Asian-style-fast-paced-combat-with-giant-swords that you see in every Eastern MMO.  The game looks like it could be an ultra realistic game, so why the arcade combat system. 

Does not mesh.

Nailed it....

I was honestly looking forward to this game until I saw this video. Watching it I felt like I was back at the arcade pumping quarters into a machine nothing fluid about what I'm seeing here definite feel of Disconnect between the world and the combat. Not very keen on the sound effects during the combat either.

Originally posted by sword4hire

Lol.....it should give you headaches?  Really?  That should be a design choice of the developers?  To give their player base headaches while playing....

please stop....

What you see is the problem with this game.  There is an extreme disconnect with what the game world looks like and the typical Asian-style-fast-paced-combat-with-giant-swords that you see in every Eastern MMO.  The game looks like it could be an ultra realistic game, so why the arcade combat system. 

Does not mesh.

Nailed it....

I was honestly looking forward to this game until I saw this video. Watching it I felt like I was back at the arcade pumping quarters into a machine nothing fluid about what I'm seeing here definite feel of Disconnect between the world and the combat. Not very keen on the sound effects during the combat either.

I feel total opposite, not disconnected at all. So I dont think its a problem at all, in fact its a plus.  What makes me disconnected in mmos are the tab button, interface clutter and hotbars all up in my face.   Its also a plus because it looks like I can play this with a PS3 gamepad at least with xpadder if it doesnt have native support yet.

please stop....

Does not mesh.

Nailed it....

OMFG!

Stop watching the cbt1 damnit and judge the entire game by that O.o

Do you really think the developers are THAT stupid that you cannot tone down the effects?? Srsly use brain

THE MOTION BLUR AND SHAKY CAM CAN BE ADJUSTED FROM 100% TO 0%

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    I am getting this game for sure absolutely love everything so far just worried about PvP. I will keep an eye on the looting rights and other aspects before I decide to get it. Is t coming to Europe soon hopefully yes .

• CalamarCalamar Member Posts: 116

Ouch, that video gave me motion sickness too. 

• sword4hiresword4hire Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Pigozz

please stop....

Does not mesh.

Nailed it....

OMFG!

Stop watching the cbt1 damnit and judge the entire game by that O.o

Do you really think the developers are THAT stupid that you cannot tone down the effects?? Srsly use brain

THE MOTION BLUR AND SHAKY CAM CAN BE ADJUSTED FROM 100% TO 0%

Whoa easy there chief...

When I see the entire game ill give it my entire opinion, My words are based on what the OP asked me to look at and im not crazy about what I saw the combat looks ridiculous compared to the beautiful world that's rendered around it.Its very Asian stylized to much for this gamer. I want to like this game as much as the next guy it has some awesome features particularly seafaring combat which im extremely interested in.But if melee combat is going to be like I see it in that video regardless of the effect changes I may or may not be able to make I might have to pass.

Originally posted by DMKano

Can we see see a video with 0% shaky can and 0% motion blur?

These vids are taken on 40% according to their owner, take from that what you want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-kCUTdiZaM&list=PLdzMLfeLXi0qmeoveRumob9duR64t3gNu

Edit: For anyone too lazy to view the vid, the blurr is almost nonexistant at this level imho

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Oh not yet launched in Korea. Ahh sorry got this mixed up with archage that is the one which has already been released.  Okay will wait patiently .