Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game just feels like there is so much to explore

Comments

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by intiorized
    Originally posted by Droosteel
    Originally posted by keithian

Sorry, but only game that gave me real feeling of exploration (and "non linearity") is quite a few years was GW2 (and still does).

ESO is pretty defective in those departements (which was quite a dissapointment)

That´s so funny because i experienced it the other way round. For me GW2 was a game i waited for but then i was pretty disappointed because there was no meaning in exploring. In TESO i just walk around, exploring quests, chests, treasures and stuff and they do actually have something valuable for me (armor, mats and so on). GW2 wasn´t my game, TESO is. But it´s good to have players with different tastes.

And TESO feels very open to me and i am very often going back to zones i have completed fishing and stuff and maybe finding something new. Last night a found a note in Bentnik where someone wrote that i should find someone in Aldcroft. It was no quest at start (no quest marker and so on) but after i spoke to this man, i got i quest and that was a magic moment :)

So i call TESO my new home, subbed for 6 months and since i´m lvl 24 after 60 hours played, i guess i will have to sub again.

Agreed, exploring in GW2 felts very underwhelming, though I did enjoy some of the vistas and running around the Human City which was beautifully done even though it was just a huge area of wasted space.

Ah, so you didnt get your conditioned behavior sated, aka "chest", so its "underwhelming" rofl

ESO is on par with SWTOR for "exploraiton", you know, SWTOR had area quests and random chests also.

oh ok my mistake, didn´t see you posting history. Thought we can speak constructive and with each others own opinions. My mistake. You should learn some social behavior, dictating your thoughts isn´t it.

Yeah, "i didnt get a chest so it suxxorz" is really constructive lol

Sorry bro, facts are facts, ESO is no better in "exploration" than SWTOR.

Do you even know that most people shortly after launch didnt even know about Belsavis daily areas, and those were painfully obvious to find.

I never said that it sucks because i get no chest. I played GW2 myself till TESO came out and i was a huge fan of GW with all its addons so i would never say that it sucks. I dont find exploring in GW2 fun or valuable so i prefer TESO there and this is my own opinion, my own feeling and because of that you can not say that i´m wrong. I like the world of TESO moren then the one in GW2 or SWTOR. You have a different opinion and it´s okay, GW2 is a decent game, but after GW 1 and with TESO i just prefer an other game than you, and that should be ok for both of us.

Now now Intiorized. These are the MMORPG.com forums. Don't use logic. Clearly he likes GW2, that automatically means nothing else on the planet can come even remotely close to the amazing awesomeness that is GW2, no matter how wrong he is.

I'm sorry but "real feeling of exploration" in GW2... I would just assume it is trolling, but he seems to also be defending the stance pretty hard, so I think he just must not have played many MMOs or something. I enjoyed GW2 for awhile too, and it was a good quality game, but exploration was not one of its high points. Sure, there were a few things you could go off the beaten path to find, but not very much. Some of those things were pretty cool too, but there just wasn't enough there to consider it a good explorer's game. Nearly everything was already marked on your map upon entering a zone.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I usually just pick a random direction and go. Doing quests on the way and harvesting stuff. It's fun.
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Svarcanum
    Are we playing the same extremely linear game? 

This game gives you huge freedom if you just want to take it. I guess that's the whole point of no quest hubs but sprinkle the quests into the wilderness. Only thing linear are the big main quest lines, and I dont see how else they could even be done and have any meat to them. So yeah, if you make the game linear for your self, dont blame the game for your own un-craftiness.

Oh wait, even the big quest lines would have tossed me from half way the first map into middle of the second if I had chosen to follow them at that time, but I wanted to explore the whole of Glenumbra first.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Svarcanum
    Are we playing the same extremely linear game? 

Said the same thing during beta.  To me it felt nothing like an Elder Scrolls experience.  Partly because the world's zones are rather small but mainly because the optimum way to level is through linear questing.  Biggest turn off for me.  Couple this with the lack of explorable areas reminiscent of an Elder Scrolls single player title and you got the trappings of a rather average MMO.

I can put in 600+ hours in Skyrim and not see the same dungeon twice.  Not true of ESO because the world lacks the density of explorable points of interest.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138

Sorry, but only game that gave me real feeling of exploration (and "non linearity") is quite a few years was GW2 (and still does).

ESO is pretty defective in those departements (which was quite a dissapointment)

That´s so funny because i experienced it the other way round. For me GW2 was a game i waited for but then i was pretty disappointed because there was no meaning in exploring. In TESO i just walk around, exploring quests, chests, treasures and stuff and they do actually have something valuable for me (armor, mats and so on). GW2 wasn´t my game, TESO is. But it´s good to have players with different tastes.

And TESO feels very open to me and i am very often going back to zones i have completed fishing and stuff and maybe finding something new. Last night a found a note in Bentnik where someone wrote that i should find someone in Aldcroft. It was no quest at start (no quest marker and so on) but after i spoke to this man, i got i quest and that was a magic moment :)

So i call TESO my new home, subbed for 6 months and since i´m lvl 24 after 60 hours played, i guess i will have to sub again.

Agreed, exploring in GW2 felts very underwhelming, though I did enjoy some of the vistas and running around the Human City which was beautifully done even though it was just a huge area of wasted space.

Ah, so you didnt get your conditioned behavior sated, aka "chest", so its "underwhelming" rofl

ESO is on par with SWTOR for "exploraiton", you know, SWTOR had area quests and random chests also.

oh ok my mistake, didn´t see you posting history. Thought we can speak constructive and with each others own opinions. My mistake. You should learn some social behavior, dictating your thoughts isn´t it.

Do you even know that most people shortly after launch didnt even know about Belsavis daily areas, and those were painfully obvious to find.

I never said that it sucks because i get no chest. I played GW2 myself till TESO came out and i was a huge fan of GW with all its addons so i would never say that it sucks. I dont find exploring in GW2 fun or valuable so i prefer TESO there and this is my own opinion, my own feeling and because of that you can not say that i´m wrong. I like the world of TESO moren then the one in GW2 or SWTOR. You have a different opinion and it´s okay, GW2 is a decent game, but after GW 1 and with TESO i just prefer an other game than you, and that should be ok for both of us.

You said you wanted constructive discussion, constructive discussion requires that you put your feelings aside and look at things objectively, which you dont.

In your opinion worst thing can be best, objectively its still worst thing despite how you feel about it.

And i find it funny that you didnt like SWTORs "exploration" as it was exactly the same as ESOs.

Okay my "facts": In GW2 you run around, do every jumping puzzle, vista and so on to complete your map with no depth at all. In TESO you run around find Lore Books, notes, chests, Quests, etc. which immerses you in the story about Tamriel. These are two diffent think. Doing this stuff in GW2 was funny but it was always the same in every zone. There is more depth to exploring in TESO and sure it´s an opinion and sure you can have a different opinion.

And no, i dont have to put my feelings aside, it´s a hobby, it´s not something i have to be objective about, it´s something I have to like and i dont mind if an other one dont feels the same way. If i were a reviewer, maybe then i have to put MY feelings aside and try to create an objective (you know that it never is) review. But not here, it´s something i play, i have fun with and if I have fun with it´s okay and worth the money.

I want a constructive disucssion in that way, that you read what i write, not read it like you wanted it. I dont want you to dictate me your thoughts. 

Computer Games are a hobby, no political opinion, no duty and no job. You have fun or you let it go, everything else is a waste of time.

Ah, so in other words you dont want any kind of constructive and rational discussion but some kind of validation that your feelings are "right" or something.

To show how pointless and irrational it is is you saying "i like A but i dont like B", when A=B. Things in question are ESO (A)and SWTOR (B) which have pretty much exact same exploration, but just because you like ESO its great and you dont like SWTOR it suxxorz.

So, pretty much any constructive and ratonal discussion is out of the question bro.

Theres no "opinion" about it, GW2 is by large margin superior in exploration departement to both ESO and SWTOR, and ESO and SWTOR are equal, thats a fact. It doesnt stop being a fact just because you like ESO but dont like GW2/SWTOR.

Part of being objective is realizing that even if you like something it might have....*gasp* some flaws, or god forbid, even be subpar (HERESY) in some departements.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

Gw2 was the super exploration. All beautifull places were marked on the map all you had to do is rushing them one by one and "jumping puzzling" them up

You said you wanted constructive discussion, constructive discussion requires that you put your feelings aside and look at things objectively, which you dont.

In your opinion worst thing can be best, objectively its still worst thing despite how you feel about it.

And i find it funny that you didnt like SWTORs "exploration" as it was exactly the same as ESOs.

You should take your own advice for putting feelings aside, these forums are pure comedy :') I'd like to hear your version of good exploration, but we're not going to hear what it is right?

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Now now Intiorized. These are the MMORPG.com forums. Don't use logic. Clearly he likes GW2, that automatically means nothing else on the planet can come even remotely close to the amazing awesomeness that is GW2, no matter how wrong he is.

I'm sorry but "real feeling of exploration" in GW2... I would just assume it is trolling, but he seems to also be defending the stance pretty hard, so I think he just must not have played many MMOs or something. I enjoyed GW2 for awhile too, and it was a good quality game, but exploration was not one of its high points. Sure, there were a few things you could go off the beaten path to find, but not very much. Some of those things were pretty cool too, but there just wasn't enough there to consider it a good explorer's game. Nearly everything was already marked on your map upon entering a zone.

From this its pretty obvious that you didnt touch, let alone play, GW2.

but its not unusual here that people spew nonsense like this *shrug*

Originally posted by Vapors

Gw2 was the super exploration. All beautifull places were marked on the map all you had to do is rushing them one by one and "jumping puzzling" them up

*sigh*

pois/vistats were just tip of the iceberg obviously targeted at people like you

I would like for once to talk to somone who knows what hes talking about....for a change

• intiorizedintiorized Member UncommonPosts: 143

Okay my "facts": In GW2 you run around, do every jumping puzzle, vista and so on to complete your map with no depth at all. In TESO you run around find Lore Books, notes, chests, Quests, etc. which immerses you in the story about Tamriel. These are two diffent think. Doing this stuff in GW2 was funny but it was always the same in every zone. There is more depth to exploring in TESO and sure it´s an opinion and sure you can have a different opinion.

And no, i dont have to put my feelings aside, it´s a hobby, it´s not something i have to be objective about, it´s something I have to like and i dont mind if an other one dont feels the same way. If i were a reviewer, maybe then i have to put MY feelings aside and try to create an objective (you know that it never is) review. But not here, it´s something i play, i have fun with and if I have fun with it´s okay and worth the money.

I want a constructive disucssion in that way, that you read what i write, not read it like you wanted it. I dont want you to dictate me your thoughts. 

Computer Games are a hobby, no political opinion, no duty and no job. You have fun or you let it go, everything else is a waste of time.

Ah, so in other words you dont want any kind of constructive and rational discussion but some kind of validation that your feelings are "right" or something.

To show how pointless and irrational it is is you saying "i like A but i dont like B", when A=B. Things in question are ESO (A)and SWTOR (B) which have pretty much exact same exploration, but just because you like ESO its great and you dont like SWTOR it suxxorz.

So, pretty much any constructive and ratonal discussion is out of the question bro.

Theres no "opinion" about it, GW2 is by large margin superior in exploration departement to both ESO and SWTOR, and ESO and SWTOR are equal, thats a fact. It doesnt stop being a fact just because you like ESO but dont like GW2/SWTOR.

Part of being objective is realizing that even if you like something it might have....*gasp* some flaws, or god forbid, even be subpar (HERESY) in some departements.

i neither need someone who says my feelings are right nor someone who says they are wrong *sigh*

You just dont understand that i like TESO because it gives me a good feeling when i log in, because the world is immersive and because i get lost in there for hours. Thats my feelings and yes they are irrational and no you dont have to validate my feelings because you cant, you are not me. For me SWTOR and TESO have huge differences, yes they are both MMOS and Themeparks, that´s what they have an common from MY POINT OF VIEW. I did not like the setting, i did not like the UI, i did not like the questing, i did not like the PvP, i do like all these things in TESO and if A=B ZOS had to pay me for playing their game or pay me a psychiatrist cause i am a bipersonal individual.

So i end this discussion here, because i got through you posting history and all you want is people to like GW2 more then TESO. I dont understand that, when you have fun with GW2 just play it and dont waste your time to post in a thread of a game that you dont even interessted in. When it´s your game you like, why do you mind people liking another game? It´s just a game, it´s nothing what makes your life more or less meaningfull. And if you burned out from MMOs, go out and do sth else with your life.

http://www.northlanders.rocks

1st German Crowfall Guild

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424

*sigh*

Exactly. Things like the under water pipe organ or the Pirate cove were awesome things to just discover that gave me that "WOW" momement.

But on the other hand, PoI and Vistas were pretty annoying. I hated going to place X just to get a cutscene of teh area. I wold have loved it more if they were secret locations that gave great in-game overviews of the area.

• intiorizedintiorized Member UncommonPosts: 143

*sigh*

I would like for once to talk to somone who knows what hes talking about....for a change

Maybe you should explore the GW2 forum, just a tip of the iceberg.

http://www.northlanders.rocks

1st German Crowfall Guild

i neither need someone who says my feelings are right nor someone who says they are wrong *sigh*

You just dont understand that i like TESO because it gives me a good feeling when i log in, because the world is immersive and because i get lost in there for hours. Thats my feelings and yes they are irrational and no you dont have to validate my feelings because you cant, you are not me. For me SWTOR and TESO have huge differences, yes they are both MMOS and Themeparks, that´s what they have an common from MY POINT OF VIEW. I did not like the setting, i did not like the UI, i did not like the questing, i did not like the PvP, i do like all these things in TESO and if A=B ZOS had to pay me for playing their game or pay me a psychiatrist cause i am a bipersonal individual.

So i end this discussion here, because i got through you posting history and all you want is people to like GW2 more then TESO. I dont understand that, when you have fun with GW2 just play it and dont waste your time to post in a thread of a game that you dont even interessted in. When it´s your game you like, why do you mind people liking another game? It´s just a game, it´s nothing what makes your life more or less meaningfull. And if you burned out from MMOs, go out and do sth else with your life.

When A=B, but you say you like A and dont like B and then demand some kind of "constructive discussion" leads to this.

You see, you dint really want any kind of constructive discussion :)

Originally posted by azzamasin

I can put in 600+ hours in Skyrim and not see the same dungeon twice.  Not true of ESO because the world lacks the density of explorable points of interest.

If you stand still for 600 hours in Skyrim you wont find the same dungeon, but if you sweep the world in Skyrim you notice how small the map is. I loved the world so much I wanted to see everything right away, and going everywhere was a mistake as the world felt awfully small, even if I agree that it's pumped absolutely full of POI's.

I agree the density is very high in Skyrim, it's so completely filled with little caves to a bit bigger crypts, dragon shrines and stuff that it has to have somekind of record for that, but if ESO had as little landmass as Skyrim has, it would be a lot worse than having the POI's scattered a bit more, and even then I stumble all the time in interesting locations.

But what is exploration, it's nothing objective at least, for one person it's enough to have aesthetically interesting locations to find, to another you absolutely must have some hidden rewards to count as exploration. Imo ESO has plenty both, it has absolutely stunning locations, it has dungeons even if not nearly with Skyrim density, it has all kinds of little lorebooks and skyshards and chests, quests and whatnot to find.

*sigh*

Maybe you should explore the GW2 forum, just a tip of the iceberg.

And its mabye time for you to stop posting and take a time out?

Chill out bro. Its just games, not too healthy to get all upset about it.

Originally posted by Kuinn

If you stand still for 600 hours in Skyrim you wont find the same dungeon, but if you sweep the world in Skyrim you notice how small the map is. I loved the world so much I wanted to see everything right away, and going everywhere was a mistake as the world felt awfully small, even if I agree that it's pumped absolutely full of POI's.

I agree the density is very high in Skyrim, it's so completely filled with little caves to a bit bigger crypts, dragon shrines and stuff that it has to have somekind of record for that, but if ESO had as little landmass as Skyrim has, it would be a lot worse than having the POI's scattered a bit more, and even then I stumble all the time in interesting locations.

But what is exploration, it's nothing objective at least, for one person it's enough to have aesthetically interesting locations to find, to another you absolutely must have some hidden rewards to count as exploration. Imo ESO has plenty both, it has absolutely stunning locations, it has dungeons even if not nearly with Skyrim density, it has all kinds of little lorebooks and skyshards and chests, quests and whatnot to find.

Yeah, like theres a ph@t lewtz at the top of Mt. Everest, and if you climb it and theres no "chest" it suxxorz...

Yeah, like theres a ph@t lewtz at the top of Mt. Everest, and if you climb it and theres no "chest" it suxxorz...

I've taken more screenshots in this game than I have taken across all games the past few years, and it wasnt the chests I took screenshots of, the chests, lorebooks, dungeons, and whatnot just happened to be along the way.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Also not unusual to have raging kids who any time someone has a different opinion, then surely they must not have played the game. Doesn't matter how many times you repeat it, GW2 simply was not a big exploration game. Granted ESO isn't the best at it either, but in comparison to even some of the most hand holding games around, GW2 did not excel in this area. Deny it all you want, but nearly everything in the game is laid out for you without having to explore. Maybe 5, maybe 10% (being generous) of things to do can actually be found by just going off and exploring without having things already there on your map leading you right to it just by loading into the zone.

Sure, you can ignore the map and just go off exploring and find it on your own, but that is more of a playstyle choice, not the game itself consisting of lots of unmarked things for you to hunt for.

Funny thing is back when GW2 launched, I was actually one of the few people pointing that there are things to explore for when people kept claiming there was absolutely no exploration. But I certainly wasn't in denial that it is only a small portion of the game. It's something practically everyone is aware of. Yet you seem to be strangely offended by people pointing it out. Nobody has even said it's a bad game or anything, just that it is not a heavy exploration game.

Also not unusual to have raging kids who any time someone has a different opinion, then surely they must not have played the game. Doesn't matter how many times you repeat it, GW2 simply was not a big exploration game. Granted ESO isn't the best at it either, but in comparison to even some of the most hand holding games around, GW2 did not excel in this area. Deny it all you want, but nearly everything in the game is laid out for you without having to explore. Maybe 5, maybe 10% (being generous) of things to do can actually be found by just going off and exploring without having things already there on your map leading you right to it just by loading into the zone.

Sure, you can ignore the map and just go off exploring and find it on your own, but that is more of a playstyle choice, not the game itself consisting of lots of unmarked things for you to hunt for.

Funny thing is back when GW2 launched, I was actually one of the few people pointing that there are things to explore for when people kept claiming there was absolutely no exploration. But I certainly wasn't in denial that it is only a small portion of the game. It's something practically everyone is aware of. Yet you seem to be strangely offended by people pointing it out. Nobody has even said it's a bad game or anything, just that it is not a heavy exploration game.

Uh-huh.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,821

Building a MMO for exploring is a lost art in MMO design. You hear players say things like "but it is taking too long to get there", "I got a bit lost". That sort of mentality has led to the easymode, hand held landscapes we have today.

There is a joy to exploring, you never know what's round that corner or over that rise. You do not have to be a roleplayer or go on about 'immersion' to feel it. Throw in a bit of gathering, some exploring xp, places to adventure you would have missed if you had stayed on the path and you have perfection.

ESO said it was going to do some things old school, of all the old school things they implemented, exploring is the one they have done best.

I've taken more screenshots in this game than I have taken across all games the past few years, and it wasnt the chests I took screenshots of, the chests, lorebooks, dungeons, and whatnot just happened to be along the way.

1. I never said theres nothing to explore

2. Not having a "chest" does not make exploration "shallow", "underwhelming" or w/e those dudes called it, i guess we agree there

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Theres no "taste" about it. Sorry.

GW2 has true exploration. ESO does not. No, finding a random chest is not "exploration".

ANd im not even talking about pois/vistas as those are just tip of the iceberg for those who cannot detach themselves form being led by the hand.

It does?

Then why am I not playing it? I'm happily going along in ESO, enjoying myself, yet not playing GW2 at all even though I own it. Can't even get a character very high as the game doesn't hold me.

Exploration in ESO (sadly) doesn't lead to the same expansive areas as a single player Elder scrolls game, but what it does lead to are the quests in the game.

And there are dungeons, though not very elaborate. last night I found the Ayleid ruin that was created by the Ayleid clan that came over from Vilverin (Obvlivion) and that seemed to have a bit more in it. In any case, I had a lot of  fun just killing mobs inside and helping out with the boss when people didn't have enough of a party with them.

Also, if you read the lore books or books then there are some interesting/funny bits there.

my time in guild wars 2 was about heading out, finding some larger public events, then heading out again until I found myself in an area that was too high (can do that in ESO as well) and then saying "oh well" and logging.

GW2 is obviously a fine and well made game but doesn't hold my interest in the exploration column like ESO does.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Theres no "taste" about it. Sorry.

GW2 has true exploration. ESO does not. No, finding a random chest is not "exploration".

ANd im not even talking about pois/vistas as those are just tip of the iceberg for those who cannot detach themselves form being led by the hand.

It does?

Then why am I not playing it? I'm happily going along in ESO, enjoying myself, yet not playing GW2 at all even though I own it. Can't even get a character very high as the game doesn't hold me.

Exploration in ESO (sadly) doesn't lead to the same expansive areas as a single player Elder scrolls game, but what it does lead to are the quests in the game.

And there are dungeons, though not very elaborate. last night I found the Ayleid ruin that was created by the Ayleid clan that came over from Vilverin (Obvlivion) and that seemed to have a bit more in it. In any case, I had a lot of  fun just killing mobs inside and helping out with the boss when people didn't have enough of a party with them.

Also, if you read the lore books or books then there are some interesting/funny bits there.

my time in guild wars 2 was about heading out, finding some larger public events, then heading out again until I found myself in an area that was too high (can do that in ESO as well) and then saying "oh well" and logging.

GW2 is obviously a fine and well made game but doesn't hold my interest in the exploration column like ESO does.

Personal tastes are personal tastes, but when someone demands constructive discussion but hes totally irrational about it...you can see the problem there.

I know lot of people dont want real exploration but just want pois/vistats/ESO/SWTOR. thats ok.

Just dont demand constructive (rational) discussion if you plan on being completely irrational about it :)

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    To me the zones are way to formulaic to induce any feeling of exploration. You always know what's going to happen if you venture somewhere, you're going to end up in a quest location or a minidungeon. I go out in world to ESCAPE the quest grind. The reward? A QUEST! Yay.....
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I really wish grouping was a bit simpler...the phasing system needs to go; however, it seems hardwired into the game.

The story seems pretty decent, but it also seems like ESO wants to do everything in its power to make sure you play solo outside of dungeons.

As far as exploration, you need a horse to get around at any reasonable pace...and that seems a bit disingenuous. You're going to need to pay 20 bucks or 42k gold to explore the world (with vast emptiness in between)

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2