Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game just feels like there is so much to explore

dbgagerdbgager Member UncommonPosts: 175
It does not give me that linear rushing from quest to quest feeling..Except for the Dungeons it feels so open and free with lots to explore and discover. I am liking it a lot so far..

Comments

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Haha what are you talking about? There is not much to explore in this game.

The trick is you get easily overwhelmed by the mass it throws at you. Can you look clearly beyond this, you see how lazy this game is constructed.

Source: Get beyond lvl 15 and into VR content.

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by dbgager
    It does not give me that linear rushing from quest to quest feeling..Except for the Dungeons it feels so open and free with lots to explore and discover. I am liking it a lot so far..

not sure trolling or not but w/e. i am not a fan myself and i don't feel that way but doesn't mean you shouldn't either. it is nice to see others enjoying it. i suggest you don't hang around here too much though for now. at least not around some threads.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• dbgagerdbgager Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Hrotha...The World is massive ..Just look at your map. And look at the areas that will be added. Whatever the reason it gives me that feeling it does not matter. The point is that it makes me enjoy what I am doing and that is all that matters.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Hrotha

The trick is you get easily overwhelmed by the mass it throws at you. Can you look clearly beyond this, you see how lazy this game is constructed.

If you level first than go back to do the content your right.  It takes me quite some time to clear a zone before I move on which is probably why I only just finished the 3rd zone in the game.  There is no point to rush to the end in this game as there is currently very little there to see other than to take advantage of the PVP auto leveling mechanics weakness matching true 50's to leveled 50's.

• asdfbbqasdfbbq Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by udon

If you level first than go back to do the content your right.  It takes me quite some time to clear a zone before I move on which is probably why I only just finished the 3rd zone in the game.  There is no point to rush to the end in this game as there is currently very little there to see other than to take advantage of the PVP auto leveling mechanics weakness matching true 50's to leveled 50's.

Of course it takes you forever to clear one map if you look into every crate just to find yet another brewing material you store in your inventory. Just to see it getting flooded again, heading to the vendors countless times and then back proceeding the actual content. Half of this game is an inventory management software.

If you understand the miniscule importance of you turning around every stone, which will for obvious reason only happen when you are in mind-end to actual endgame, then you will understand this.

Born here as a baby into this world you find everything shiny and brilliant what this society has to offer to you. But once you grow up, mentally and on a soul-level, this can no longer feed you because you understand it's unimportance. Same with this game, and so easily to look through.

I can guarantee you that on your second toon that you will create after reaching VR10 or some VRx level, you will no longer hunt for any low-lvl chest to find a green item and a few coins in it. That is my point: The major aspect of this game is distracting you from it's essential content. Which is clever because the content itself is very, very limited.

That is what happened to us in the past, playing MMOs: Either we were flooded with quests (omg so awesome so many quests, dont know where to start) or events everywhere, like in Rift or like here in ESO with the ankers and dungeons etc. Yes surely this is part of the actual MMO itself but it gets blatant obvious that this distracts you from experiencing the actual content itself.

Just as an example: How long and how deep is the actual Main Story quest in this game?

THIS is the point. The main story that should carry the ENTIRE game has.. what.. like 8 quests total? And then after being VR50 the main-quest basicly stops?

• CurragraigueCurragraigue Member UncommonPosts: 84

Me too, really enjoying the typical Elder Scrolls open world element to the game. Explore and check out the scenery as much as the missions, chests, books, shards and everything else you can find by just walking off the beaten path.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by asdfbbq

Of course it takes you forever to clear one map if you look into every crate just to find yet another brewing material you store in your inventory. Just to see it getting flooded again, heading to the vendors countless times and then back proceeding the actual content. Half of this game is an inventory management software.

If you understand the miniscule importance of you turning around every stone, which will for obvious reason only happen when you are in mind-end to actual endgame, then you will understand this.

Born here as a baby into this world you find everything shiny and brilliant what this society has to offer to you. But once you grow up, mentally and on a soul-level, this can no longer feed you because you understand it's unimportance. Same with this game, and so easily to look through.

I can guarantee you that on your second toon that you will create after reaching VR10 or some VRx level, you will no longer hunt for any low-lvl chest to find a green item and a few coins in it. That is my point: The major aspect of this game is distracting you from it's essential content. Which is clever because the content itself is very, very limited.

That is what happened to us in the past, playing MMOs: Either we were flooded with quests (omg so awesome so many quests, dont know where to start) or events everywhere, like in Rift or like here in ESO with the ankers and dungeons etc. Yes surely this is part of the actual MMO itself but it gets blatant obvious that this distracts you from experiencing the actual content itself.

Just as an example: How long and how deep is the actual Main Story quest in this game?

THIS is the point. The main story that should carry the ENTIRE game has.. what.. like 8 quests total? And then after being VR50 the main-quest basicly stops?

Seems you obviously missed a point somewhere..

Even to me as an altoholic its clear that this is a game where you will only play a single character...   Enjoying every step to max level, taking it slow to VR10...(like 100 hours and only being level 32)  and then moving on to the PvE endgame and PvP...

There is more then enough content to warrant this playstyle, and by the time i reach VR10, there actually is group PVE content..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Have you ever played an Elder Scrolls game before? The main story was never the real focus / high point of the game, and there were very few "quests" related to the main story, just like in ESO. The majority of the content, and the main appeal of the games, is based on all of the other things there are to do. The main campaigns, if you focused solely on them without the other content, only took what a few (like 3-4) hours? Yet you could turn around and easily spend dozens of hours with the other content like sidequests, dungeons / caves, etc.

The main story never came close to "carrying the ENTIRE game" in any Elder Scrolls game.

Aside from that, in ESO there is not just a "main" story that encompasses eveything, but other major storylines for each faction, and each of the guilds, which you are constantly getting between the main story quests and at nearly every city / major area.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Are we playing the same extremely linear game? 
  • DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138

Sorry, but only game that gave me real feeling of exploration (and "non linearity") is quite a few years was GW2 (and still does).

ESO is pretty defective in those departements (which was quite a dissapointment)

• intiorizedintiorized Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by Droosteel

Sorry, but only game that gave me real feeling of exploration (and "non linearity") is quite a few years was GW2 (and still does).

ESO is pretty defective in those departements (which was quite a dissapointment)

That´s so funny because i experienced it the other way round. For me GW2 was a game i waited for but then i was pretty disappointed because there was no meaning in exploring. In TESO i just walk around, exploring quests, chests, treasures and stuff and they do actually have something valuable for me (armor, mats and so on). GW2 wasn´t my game, TESO is. But it´s good to have players with different tastes.

And TESO feels very open to me and i am very often going back to zones i have completed fishing and stuff and maybe finding something new. Last night a found a note in Bentnik where someone wrote that i should find someone in Aldcroft. It was no quest at start (no quest marker and so on) but after i spoke to this man, i got i quest and that was a magic moment :)

So i call TESO my new home, subbed for 6 months and since i´m lvl 24 after 60 hours played, i guess i will have to sub again.

http://www.northlanders.rocks

1st German Crowfall Guild

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by intiorized

That´s so funny because i experienced it the other way round. For me GW2 was a game i waited for but then i was pretty disappointed because there was no meaning in exploring. In TESO i just walk around, exploring quests, chests, treasures and stuff and they do actually have something valuable for me (armor, mats and so on). GW2 wasn´t my game, TESO is. But it´s good to have players with different tastes.

And TESO feels very open to me and i am very often going back to zones i have completed fishing and stuff and maybe finding something new. Last night a found a note in Bentnik where someone wrote that i should find someone in Aldcroft. It was no quest at start (no quest marker and so on) but after i spoke to this man, i got i quest and that was a magic moment :)

So i call TESO my new home, subbed for 6 months and since i´m lvl 24 after 60 hours played, i guess i will have to sub again.

Agreed, exploring in GW2 felts very underwhelming, though I did enjoy some of the vistas and running around the Human City which was beautifully done even though it was just a huge area of wasted space.

There Is Always Hope!

Theres no "taste" about it. Sorry.

GW2 has true exploration. ESO does not. No, finding a random chest is not "exploration".

ANd im not even talking about pois/vistas as those are just tip of the iceberg for those who cannot detach themselves form being led by the hand.

Originally posted by keithian

Agreed, exploring in GW2 felts very underwhelming, though I did enjoy some of the vistas and running around the Human City which was beautifully done even though it was just a huge area of wasted space.

Ah, so you didnt get your conditioned behavior sated, aka "chest", so its "underwhelming" rofl

ESO is on par with SWTOR for "exploraiton", you know, SWTOR had area quests and random chests also.

Ah, so you didnt get your conditioned behavior sated, aka "chest", so its "underwhelming" rofl

ESO is on par with SWTOR for "exploraiton", you know, SWTOR had area quests and random chests also.

oh ok my mistake, didn´t see you posting history. Thought we can speak constructive and with each others own opinions. My mistake. You should learn some social behavior, dictating your thoughts isn´t it.

oh ok my mistake, didn´t see you posting history. Thought we can speak constructive and with each others own opinions. My mistake. You should learn some social behavior, dictating your thoughts isn´t it.

Yeah, "i didnt get a chest so it suxxorz" is really constructive lol

Sorry bro, facts are facts, ESO is no better in "exploration" than SWTOR.

Do you even know that most people shortly after launch didnt even know about Belsavis daily areas, and those were painfully obvious to find. Or bonus series that didnt lead them there at that same moment (like Alderaan). or even many (copy pasted) caves with "chest"

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

I have 100 inventory space and I havent gone back to the vendor since yesterday.

Do you even know that most people shortly after launch didnt even know about Belsavis daily areas, and those were painfully obvious to find.

I never said that it sucks because i get no chest. I played GW2 myself till TESO came out and i was a huge fan of GW with all its addons so i would never say that it sucks. I dont find exploring in GW2 fun or valuable so i prefer TESO there and this is my own opinion, my own feeling and because of that you can not say that i´m wrong. I like the world of TESO moren then the one in GW2 or SWTOR. You have a different opinion and it´s okay, GW2 is a decent game, but after GW 1 and with TESO i just prefer an other game than you, and that should be ok for both of us.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Not much to explore? Every zone is filled with quests and delves you have to actively go out and find and there's not much to explore? There is so much stuff you aren't actively led to but rather come across if you open your map and decide to find out what the cluster of little dots that look like houses or a ruins is. 

Do you even know that most people shortly after launch didnt even know about Belsavis daily areas, and those were painfully obvious to find.

I never said that it sucks because i get no chest. I played GW2 myself till TESO came out and i was a huge fan of GW with all its addons so i would never say that it sucks. I dont find exploring in GW2 fun or valuable so i prefer TESO there and this is my own opinion, my own feeling and because of that you can not say that i´m wrong. I like the world of TESO moren then the one in GW2 or SWTOR. You have a different opinion and it´s okay, GW2 is a decent game, but after GW 1 and with TESO i just prefer an other game than you, and that should be ok for both of us.

You said you wanted constructive discussion, constructive discussion requires that you put your feelings aside and look at things objectively, which you dont.

In your opinion worst thing can be best, objectively its still worst thing despite how you feel about it.

And i find it funny that you didnt like SWTORs "exploration" as it was exactly the same as ESOs.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179

Hahaha....I love these forums.   

People trying to argue which has the most to explore, end-game, or basically sandbox elements between the three largest, most themepark released games ever.   

When did MMO's immersion become these boring, static NPC's that are fully voiced.   Enemy NPC spawn points swarmed with Bots and gold farmers.   Empty towns, with all the players simply huddled at the bank.    Oh, what a nice Point of Interest at this beatiful tavern!  Welp, got the POI I'll never visit there again!

Exploration?  Going through each level-based zone, spending however much time there, getting all the "designated" viewpoint/exploration points, quests, then moving on to never have to see or deal with it again.

Pfft.   Play your little this game > or < that game.   However long each of you, as every individual will be different, enjoys the ride on these themepark games, they all share the same basic designs, and lack of immersion and exploration.    Wake me up when there's an actual MMO designed with actual player driven exploration and immersion, not this hand-holding, voice-guided sight-seeing tour these game offer then abruptly end when the tours over.      Bros.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    It's big, but oh so linear. You enter the map at one edge, and you basically clear by methodically going back and forth, slowly across the map until you get to the other side.

Sure, you can forge straight to the other side, but then the npcs will likely be 3 levels above you and if/when you decide to circle back you may even be too high for the content you missed, in my case sometimes the npcs were gray in the first zone when I did this.

I've stopped opening crates and barrels, I don't eat food, so why make, and saves much time. I do open chests, drawers, desks etc mostly for free lock picks, and occasional recipes and stuff.

Inventory mgmt is no longer a problem, if I'm not wearing it, I'm probably selling it. I only carry around lock picks, potions, soul shards, nothing else, all just sold to the vendor. I rarely gather, and when I do, dump it all in the guild bank.

I'm level 30, have 32k in gold, and despite respecing once, and buying 90 bag slots there's nothing I need to buy since I started with the white horse.

Sue, lots to explore, but not nearly that interesting, the stories are what keep me going.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

You said you wanted constructive discussion, constructive discussion requires that you put your feelings aside and look at things objectively, which you dont.

In your opinion worst thing can be best, objectively its still worst thing despite how you feel about it.

And i find it funny that you didnt like SWTORs "exploration" as it was exactly the same as ESOs.

Okay my "facts": In GW2 you run around, do every jumping puzzle, vista and so on to complete your map with no depth at all. In TESO you run around find Lore Books, notes, chests, Quests, etc. which immerses you in the story about Tamriel. These are two diffent think. Doing this stuff in GW2 was funny but it was always the same in every zone. There is more depth to exploring in TESO and sure it´s an opinion and sure you can have a different opinion.

And no, i dont have to put my feelings aside, it´s a hobby, it´s not something i have to be objective about, it´s something I have to like and i dont mind if an other one dont feels the same way. If i were a reviewer, maybe then i have to put MY feelings aside and try to create an objective (you know that it never is) review. But not here, it´s something i play, i have fun with and if I have fun with it´s okay and worth the money.

I want a constructive disucssion in that way, that you read what i write, not read it like you wanted it. I dont want you to dictate me your thoughts. 

Computer Games are a hobby, no political opinion, no duty and no job. You have fun or you let it go, everything else is a waste of time.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

Okay my "facts": In GW2 you run around, do every jumping puzzle, vista and so on to complete your map with no depth at all. In TESO you run around find Lore Books, notes, chests, Quests, etc. which immerses you in the story about Tamriel. These are two diffent think. Doing this stuff in GW2 was funny but it was always the same in every zone. There is more depth to exploring in TESO and sure it´s an opinion and sure you can have a different opinion.

And no, i dont have to put my feelings aside, it´s a hobby, it´s not something i have to be objective about, it´s something I have to like and i dont mind if an other one dont feels the same way. If i were a reviewer, maybe then i have to put MY feelings aside and try to create an objective (you know that it never is) review. But not here, it´s something i play, i have fun with and if I have fun with it´s okay and worth the money.

I want a constructive disucssion in that way, that you read what i write, not read it like you wanted it. I dont want you to dictate me your thoughts. 

Computer Games are a hobby, no political opinion, no duty and no job. You have fun or you let it go, everything else is a waste of time.

The last poster nailed it for me at the second paragraph.  Why do people consistently try to compare A game to B game and say their opinion is the only one that matters?  No one cares how anyone else feels about a game. 

This is something you do to have fun.  It is not a job it is a hobby with the exception of some people like myself who work in the field of programming. 

With that said if you enjoy the game great have fun playing it.  If you don't enjoy the game great play something else.  I am currently enjoying the game.  Yeah it has glitches which can be a pain in the ass but it is an escape from reality to have fun.    

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

True this, I often loose my self on exploring when trying to do quests, and end up somewhere ways off the quest location :) It's the amazing details that often does this, playing the game with maxed settings just compels me to move into certain directions sometimes in game based on how the scenery is that way :D