Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] ArcheAge: A New Guy's Perspective on Trion's AA

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Instead of discussing the latest news Trion Worlds has on ArcheAge, we're going to focus on the game itself. Unfortunately though, I still don't have a release date for you! Last week I found my way into the ArcheAge alpha and was finally able to get hands on with it to see what all the rage is from region to region for ArcheAge. Despite all the 1.0 patch nonsense, I wasfinally  able to see why everyone in the community has been voicing their opinions so loudly for Trion to hear. I've never played ArcheAge in any other releases, so I went into this experience blind and I'm going to give you new guys an idea of what to expect as well.

Read more of Jeffery Lerman's ArcheAge: A New Guy's Perspective on Trion's AA.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Cannot wait for this game ^^ hopefully closer to pre-1.0 status and with less of the russian F2P bs (at least have basic/rudimentary housing available and if you neglect your rent for 2 weeks it gets torn down and you get your items and its schematic in the mail) .

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

So now it is "Trion's" AA already?

Why doesn't that surprise me on this site....

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Based my experience in ru version, dont take much time to the game open from that inicial quest run:

- Lvl 6 or 7 we recive the 1st scarecrow (little farm) to set up somewhere in the world

- Lvl 12 or 13 we recive the 1st glider, and the trade runs quest to get a donkey

So, its beetween lvl 15 - 20 we reach the most game features and now is up to each player play the game the way they want. And this is less then 3h for a new player without the donkey quest. (donkey quest takes time because player need to do trade run on foot).

• logicbomb82logicbomb82 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Good initial write-up. like you I have been waiting for the US release of this game  before I checked it out.  I can't wait to throw my money at it. 
    I run the Mature Minded Gamers. We do video and board gaming videos and reviews. We also have a big Dungeons and Dragons community with multiple games active each week.
    Join us at: https://www.maturemindedgamers.com

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

I love that game

A video I made reviewing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlb6A-AEtfw

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• CypruskaCypruska Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Maybe... YES! YES, OMG, YES! I want this f***ing game on my desktop trying to seduce me everyday with it's simple "A" icon.
  • raggnirraggnir Member UncommonPosts: 51

excuse me, but you did not describe anything about the game.

the only thing i got from that useless wall of text was:

-quests.

-mount.

-beautiful graphics.

please refrain from posting such misleading post if you didn't even bother to test what really is important in the game.

also it is not even hard, at lvl 10 you can completely abondon the quests and start any job you would like to...

in conclusion, a very misleading post that honestly infuriated me.

to everyone who did not have the chance to test the game yet, please ignore this post, the game is so much more than just this...please visit the official trion Archeage or archeagesource.com to have a real idea of the game.

you could also go and test the russian version of the game.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Jeez, cut the writer some slack raggnir. I found it pretty clear that this was just a first impression made after only a few hours of play in the Trion alpha version of the game. If you want something deeper there are plenty of other places you can go. Like lalartu's video linked right above your post for one (btw - nice job on that. I enjoyed your narration style and commentary).

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by lalartu

I love that game

That was a great preview. Thanks for that!

It actually made me want to try it and I have huge issues with some of the design decisions. Such as cars and allowing players go go nuts with adding any type of content they would like - at least according to the Korean version, we'll see what happens in the Trion version.

In any case, very cool thanks.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    If only you played pre 1.0 and the F2P changes. it was a gem, now its just another polished rock.
  • LabantLabant Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Volgore

Because it IS Trions AA, they worked out a deal where they won't follow the Korean version in patches.  The game is going to diverge as updates keep rolling out.  Trion is bringing the more sandbox version to NA/EU while the Korean version seems to be slowly morphing to a standard themepark-ish mmo.

Trion's version is going to be different and is being ported/brought over by Trion..hence, Trions AA as opposed to XL's AA.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Originally posted by raggnir

I think this is the beginning of a bi-weekly column. So, no, it wouldn't attempt to be a full review by any means. He's just covering his beginning. I'm willing to wait a week or three to see if it's worth following.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    bah, duplicate post
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Looking forward to this game.

I like action combat, but I also like not having it. 

Also looking forward to real talent trees again (looking at you, wow).

• ellebishopellebishop Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by lalartu

I love that game

Thanks for that, very entertaining and really piques my interest in the game, thank you, and subscribed AntRexon :D 

• Snakester95Snakester95 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by raggnir

excuse me, but you did not describe anything about the game.

the only thing i got from that useless wall of text was:

-quests.

-mount.

-beautiful graphics.

please refrain from posting such misleading post if you didn't even bother to test what really is important in the game.

also it is not even hard, at lvl 10 you can completely abondon the quests and start any job you would like to...

to everyone who did not have the chance to test the game yet, please ignore this post, the game is so much more than just this...please visit the official trion Archeage or archeagesource.com to have a real idea of the game.

you could also go and test the russian version of the game.

Damn dude, like the others have said, this is my first time playing the game. It's a first impression look more than a preview on everything the game has to offer. It's different previewing you know an hour long demo of an early version on a game than when you preview an MMORPG that's already released, but is in "Alpha". This is me having had played a few hours in and what I experienced thus far, giving people an idea of what to expect in the beginning. Of course I'll have more to say, I only started writing about ArcheAge a few months ago and hadn't played the Russian version because it's for the Russian region.

There are plenty of people that have been playing from region to region but XLGames has banned people from playing ArcheAge as a whole when from regions not allowed in that version. Encouraging people to go test the Russian version is great and all, but they also have a chance at never being able to play the NA version of it.

Also, none of my post is misleading, it may not be as informative as you're looking for. I'm sorry, it happens to turn out that I'm not Trion Worlds or a huge fan forum dedicated to everything ArcheAge. Hence the title of the article, "A New Guy's Perspective". Therefore, that's what you get. As I'm still writing articles on this, you can expect more from me regarding the game and news following the game from Trion.

There's no need to call me out, say the article is misleading, and act like I'm a supposed to be testing the game for every little bug. I'm here to give you guys an idea of what to expect while also introducing AA to people that are new to it too. So they're able to grow in knowing more about the game alongside me. Also for a heads up, I do drop on by ArcheAge Source, the ArcheAge website, and the ArcheAge subreddit.

With all that having been said, if there's any specific content you'd like me to look into and cover, tell me instead of demeaning me. So I'll be able to cover it in a future article and get you the coverage you're looking for!

Originally posted by Labant

Because it IS Trions AA, they worked out a deal where they won't follow the Korean version in patches.  The game is going to diverge as updates keep rolling out.  Trion is bringing the more sandbox version to NA/EU while the Korean version seems to be slowly morphing to a standard themepark-ish mmo.

Trion's version is going to be different and is being ported/brought over by Trion..hence, Trions AA as opposed to XL's AA.

Regarding this smidgen, Trion Worlds is handling the NA/EU bits but there's no guarantee on whether it'll be more sandbox or themepark. As XLGames has been calling the shots on ArcheAge they still do have an influential role in Trion's work as well. I believe last month some people from the Trion team were at the XLGames office collaborating. Although as we've heard with the recent communication from Evan Berman and others, it has shown that Trion is listening a little closer to the community than say XLGames, without throwing blows.

Scott Hartsman has also spoken up here and at other outlets in interviews stating something I mentioned, essentially that it'll start out themepark and then encourage sandbox more later. The whole thing between Trion and XLGames has been 1.0 and it's still a little quiet there what specifically will be coming from it to NA/EU. Granted, Berman has said they pretty much have all the say in what happens with the Item Shop. Although I believe labor potions are still a thing, which I don't really like myself. But I can understand it. Anyway, I don't mean to shove knowledge down your throat as you seem like you have an idea of what's going on as well. Primarily voicing my opinion.

Originally posted by Thupli

Looking forward to this game.

I like action combat, but I also like not having it. 

Also looking forward to real talent trees again (looking at you, wow).

Yeah the action combat doesn't feel as advanced as Tera but it's a level above WoW. I've only really messed around with the Archer & Witchcraft skillsets thus far, so I can only say so much. If I end up grouping up with people I'm sure I'll see the extent of it further, I'll have to see about finding some people maybe on the forum. There's a global faction chat atm, but in the 3 - 5 hours I've played I haven't found anyone yet.

Originally posted by Tbau
    If only you played pre 1.0 and the F2P changes. it was a gem, now its just another polished rock.

I've heard a lot about the effects of 1.0 and how the community has reacted, so I can understand. But as you know, I'm playing post 1.0, although it's not fully in the NA alpha I believe. Some people I was speaking with said certain things were and certain weren't. As it's alpha, they're probably still playing around with this and that and seeing how people feel. Hopefully it doesn't end up dead on arrival like a lot of people believe. Because it does have the potential to be a great game and it certainly shows the community has no desire for the changes 1.0 has brought. And it shows in every region.

Where there's a game, there's a player, I'm that player.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Labant

Trion, more than any other MMO company, are masters of spin.

They are telling people what they want to hear in a vague enough fashion that if the game releases exactly like 1.0 they wont be lying.  

Also, TERA's combat is not in any way, shape, or form above WoW like the OP said in the post above.  Its *different* from WoW.  Some may prefer it.  But WoW's combat is smoother, has more depth, and probably takes more skill to play at an advanced level.  At the novice level without question TERA takes more skill though.

• MythwynMythwyn Member Posts: 2
    I am not so much looking forward to this as keeping an eye on it. I have as with the whole industry, concerns about payment models F2P / P2W and so on, ruining game play. I will say Thank You, to a previous poster on AA here, for the heads up on Black Desert, that game has me far more excited than AA at the moment.
  • Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

I must admit, I was extremely excited for this game, but since the themepark additions and now, knowing that you spend half your characters lvls in a themepark environment, I'm honestly not sure if I will be able to try it at all.

You make a sandbox game to play a sandbox, not some conglomeration of a themepark n sandbox.  Sounds like this game has been on a slippery slope for awhile and it is just getting worse.  I will keep my eye on it, but not it's not gonna be my primary game like I thought it would be while playing Age of Wushu.  Guess I expected to much. 

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    Can someone clarify if AA is free for all PvP, full loot PvP, or PvP in certain parts of the world? I really hate getting ganked while I'm just trying to farm.

• Snakester95Snakester95 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Senadina
    Can someone clarify if AA is free for all PvP, full loot PvP, or PvP in certain parts of the world? I really hate getting ganked while I'm just trying to farm.

Someone can probably better answer this than me as I haven't heard enough on the PvP side of things. I know there are safe areas, areas for open world PvP, and there's the castle besieging. I don't think you'll have to worry about getting ganked while farming.

Where there's a game, there's a player, I'm that player.

Originally posted by Snakester95
    Originally posted by Senadina

Someone can probably better answer this than me as I haven't heard enough on the PvP side of things. I know there are safe areas, areas for open world PvP, and there's the castle besieging. I don't think you'll have to worry about getting ganked while farming.

I thought there was an interview that indicated there was open pvp only on one of the continents.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191
    For me its just another shallow preview. Basically i'm reading the same things from almost every article about AA that appeared over the past weeks. What i'm missing are more solid facts about how pvp will look like(just one continent? all high-lvl-zones? separation between pve-zones and pvp ones?), what pve-options are there besides farming and some small dungeons(rading? large events like gw2-worldbosses or things like rifts zone-invasions? Story arcs like EQ2 signatures quests?).
    Originally posted by ghorgos
    For me its just another shallow preview. Basically i'm reading the same things from almost every article about AA that appeared over the past weeks. What i'm missing are more solid facts about how pvp will look like(just one continent? all high-lvl-zones? separation between pve-zones and pvp ones?), what pve-options are there besides farming and some small dungeons(rading? large events like gw2-worldbosses or things like rifts zone-invasions? Story arcs like EQ2 signatures quests?).

of course it depends on Trion (additionally, I do know that there is a northern continent that is "all" pvp):

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/09/21/massively-exclusive-archeages-jake-song-on-consensual-pvp-inf/

Some Western fans have asked for PvP servers, and many of our commenters are very interested in ArcheAge but are turned off by the fact that it has open PvP. Most sandbox games default to free-for-all PvP these days, leaving these sandbox PvE fans with nowhere to play. Are there any plans for dedicated PvP servers or will it be left up to the players to avoid FFA areas on all shards?

I know that some players like PvP and some don't. ArcheAge features a half-open PvP system. If a player kills another player of the same faction, he/she will get penalty points. If a player's penalty points (blood prints that appear after killing a player work as evidence of a crime which leads to penalty points) reach a certain level, he/she will be summoned to court, will receive a trial, and might be imprisoned. Though ArcheAge is half-open PvP, it is not the main fun feature. It will be developed as a game that PvE-lovers could enjoy too, while also enjoying the PvP system.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have no doubt what so ever that there is no Trion version,just merely an English version with translated text.The only thing Trion might add is their version of cash shop and how the free to play term will be introduced to us differently.

Imo time has been moving VERY slowly,it is time we see something of this game,heck even 10 levels.I know the real purpose of a Beta test,it is to test for bugs and give feedback.It does not even take me 10 levels in any game to get a real good feel for what the game is trying to do.

If developers and/or publishers really care about their player base,i want to give feedback and i want them to listen if even ever so slightly.I want to know the developer and publisher are listening to the people who will end up spending the money and all of this BEFORE the game is released not after.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.