Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joe Show 5/10

Comments

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Originally posted by cheyane

Meanwhile Angry Joe is at 302 k views on his ESO review. Yup the guy is a nobody but 300,000 people in a day viewed that video. So that many people have watched the bugs  on ESO . I'd be worried if I were Zenimax.

The IGN review in this section has 20 replies 545 views as opposed to the 348 posts and 5309 views on this thread and you guys are still questioning Angry Joe's impact.

And that's the bottom line, the word is out and it doesn't look good. Bad publicity slows sales and that forces companies to consider alternate sources of revenue such as FTP. But you know who hurts the game the most? It's not the "haters" or the reviewers. It's the the people ESO depends on most, the fans. When you people blindly let these problems go you are giving the company a free pass on poor performance and encouraging this behavior in the future. So yes go ahead and attack all of the people you think are out trying to hurt your game but in the end it is YOU doing ESO the greatest disservice of all.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Originally posted by nightbird305
    Originally posted by Rusque

To put thing into perspective:

Angry Joe gave GW2 a perfect 10 (legendary!)

Witcher 2 got an 8.

Dragon Age 2 got a 7!!!  Say what you will about ESO, it's easily miles better than the travesty that was DA2. On top of that, how does Witcher 2 only get a single point higher than DA2? Really, they're not even on the same planet.

Has he really only reviewed 2 MMO's? Does this guy even play MMO's?

Watch http://youtu.be/Ax-_06Acj8Y?t=27m40s he explains not only his 10/10 for GW2 but how you should view his review scores in general.

I could mention again that this is one guys opinion, and it may not be the same as yours, but that horse has been beaten to death.

Okay, his opinion is "just one guys opinion" and so is mine. So if that's how you feel about it, why did you make this thread if his opinion is just as valid as mine?

Due the the amount of clout his opinion has and how much his reviews influence people.

Also, every review ever is the opinion of "just one guy".  The difference between your opinion and his opinion is the aforementioned clout Joe has.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    I love the part where Angry Joe puts up a graphic saying "Hell the public test server was more stable in some cases", it's hilarious because it's true. 
  • LordZeikLordZeik Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Panzerbase

Meanwhile Angry Joe is at 302 k views on his ESO review. Yup the guy is a nobody but 300,000 people in a day viewed that video. So that many people have watched the bugs  on ESO . I'd be worried if I were Zenimax.

The IGN review in this section has 20 replies 545 views as opposed to the 348 posts and 5309 views on this thread and you guys are still questioning Angry Joe's impact.

And that's the bottom line, the word is out and it doesn't look good. Bad publicity slows sales and that forces companies to consider alternate sources of revenue such as FTP. But you know who hurts the game the most? It's not the "haters" or the reviewers. It's the the people ESO depends on most, the fans. When you people blindly let these problems go you are giving the company a free pass on poor performance and encouraging this behavior in the future. So yes go ahead and attack all of the people you think are out trying to hurt your game but in the end it is YOU doing ESO the greatest disservice of all.

You should take a step back on that one. Who has been giving who a pass? I remember when you could do an alpha or a beta by just signing up or having some decent credibility. Now you have to pay a "founder's fee". Not even going to get into the whole f2p evolution and what people gave company's as a free pass. Fact is those very same people who got f2p to this point want eso to turn into a f2p. I'd rather let zenimax bash me over the head with another one hundred bugged quests before some guy wipes his credit card across Cyrodiil. Oddly enough people like Joe support that f2p model... Then again a guy who has never reviewed a f2p mmo sure thinks highly of them.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

There's a lot of bullshit in this. He's omitting details to make things seem worse than they are. He clearly has an issue with the collectors edition and is basing everything else on that. An example, he says you'll need to kill 42,000 enemies to get a decent horse.. after moaning about enemies dropping only 1 or 2 gold..  but neglects to mention enemies tend to drop plenty of items that sell for 10+ gold even in the first 'starter' zone. Total bullshit.. it's a shame lots of people are going to watch that who are considering the game and will actually think it's that hard to get gold. It isn't. 

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Normally, I don't really go for the "persona" type of reviewers. But like anything, you have to take the review for what it's worth and evaluate it on the merits of it's content.

Or so I thought.

This thread is 35 pages long and almost everyone has either agreed with the review or, tried to come up with some reason why AJ is personally not credible. So, how come no one is actually challenging the review itself for the content. I have seen in this thread where it is said Joe lost lost respectability over his reviews of the past. Not this review mind you, but rather one from 2012. OK, so if AJ has no respectability, and ESO is that good, then surely there must be something wrong that can be found in this review.

I'll give an example of what I mean.

He talked about the horse and how you can only collect 1 gold per mob. He then talked about the $20 horse as thought that was the fast one. Isn't the $20 horse the slower one and this worth 17K instead of 42K?

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I love the game and am having a blast, while at the same time I am entertained by AJ and find his points valid and on the mark. Zenimax needs to step up their game imo, but in the meantime I am certainly going to play and pay and hopefully continue to have a great time.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by LordZeik

You should take a step back on that one. Who has been giving who a pass? I remember when you could do an alpha or a beta by just signing up or having some decent credibility. Now you have to pay a "founder's fee". Not even going to get into the whole f2p evolution and what people gave company's as a free pass. Fact is those very same people who got f2p to this point want eso to turn into a f2p. I'd rather let zenimax bash me over the head with another one hundred bugged quests before some guy wipes his credit card across Cyrodiil. Oddly enough people like Joe support that f2p model... Then again a guy who has never reviewed a f2p mmo sure thinks highly of them.

You are in no position to critique either considering you've only played P2W games if you equate hidden costs games with free to play games.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Asariasha

Not going to watch this review.

Usually, all he is doing is tyrying to max out attention for his YouTube channel so that he gets more viewers and therefor earns more AD-dollars. At least he seems to be well doing so.

His reviews are another thing - biased, hatefull and disrespectful. Why should anyone want to listen to the opinion of someone that has not achieved anything besides mediocre entertainment by flaming and trolling over games!?

Unfortunately, hate and foolishness is a great source to form a mindless mob:

[mod edit]

Actually, many of the games he reviews gets a "Bad Ass" seal of approval with a high score (FarCry 3 got 9/10,  Saints Row 3 got an 8/10,  etc.)  Yes, many of his Angry Reviews are showing negative things that downplay the gaming experience.  Why?  Because he's a gamer like most customers are ...duh?...  and those things that he points out actually make the gaming experience very sour to the player.      It's in no way disrespectful to show the flaws in a product, especially if you're showing them to an audience that is a potential purchaser of said product that you're reviewing.   That's actually very respectful of your audience (instead of doing the opposite and lip-servicing the product/company selling it as many of the "main stream media" sites do....oh, don't recall the Jeff Gerstman incident?

And not achieved anything?  Really?  Joe has worked his arse off getting his show from the ground up to where it is now (an average of 1.5million views per video).   He did an interview last year with Microsoft's Xbox head honcho during ...E3 or PAX (I can't remember) and has done other connections with other studio heads in the industry.  He's a known name now....a big one.    So, when he says something is either total shit or the best thing since sliced bread, that opinion echoes in the weight of his followers.

P.S.  I just think you're personally insulted somehow that he voted TESO as a 5/10 mediocre game and when he did GW2 over 1.5 years ago he gave it a 10/10.   Does that hurt you in any way, shape, or form?  It shouldn't [however right it is].

• LordZeikLordZeik Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Dihoru

You are in no position to critique either considering you've only played P2W games if you equate hidden costs games with free to play games.

Given the sheer number of mmorpg f2p games I have gone through 95% of them are p2w. Of course a majority of them you never hear about because their company goes under in less than a year. There are f2p games out there that don't add hidden costs. They are just not normally found in the  mmorpgs section. Pick ten mmorpgs that are f2p at random from the list. Get back to me with how many of them are p2w ^_^. If you pick one from r2/aeria/gpot-webzen/nexon/snail so forth you can auto mark those down as a point for my argument.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    I found it to be a spot on review. I would have given PVE a 3/10 right now and PVP a 6/10 but it's all popcorn chat in the end as we are quibbling over one rating point in each case.  It's a painfully average game that will get a ton fo flack for failing to be great and live up to the original license.
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Another great review from AJ.

His experiences really reflected my own for the most part.  I mean, I don't think I found a SINGLE "mini-boss" in the torch dungeons and wasn't camped by like 5 players and bots.  Ridiculous.

The one thing he didn't mention though, which is what I feel is the worst thing about ESO right now, is the horrible responsiveness of combat.  GOD I hate this.  I can't say how many times I've died jamming the weapon swap button in vain while my character does nothing.  Same with abilities, SOMETIMES my ability works SOMETIMES it doesn't.  This absolutely KILLS any hope of having real competitive PvP.

Man, in GW2, I could press like 4 keys in a second and ALL of them would work.  In ESO, I'm lucky to get my ONE attack to work sometimes.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Moar61

Not sure I agreed with everything Joe had to say here, such as the grouping issue (super simple, you travel to player and done). However I think Joe's a bit over the top with anything he does. 

Shockingly, I feel IGN made the fairest review of ESO. 7.8-8 is exactly where I'd put it. Great fun if you acknowledge it's an MMO, just watch the bugs. Thankfully I haven't experienced ANY progress blocking bugs. 

Yea I really don't see how people are having trouble grouping. When my friends log on we are standing next to each other in about 5 seconds. Travel to player is a wonderful tool.

A lot of people seem to have ran into bugs that I haven't so I take my own words with a grain of salt, maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones!

Problem is things phase even when you are teamed. All of a sudden you cant see your team mate or the boss they are fighting. As in the review when they killed the boss the first time it only counted for him and I think it was his wife was forced to kill the boss alone and she died. He could do nothing. Thats bad design.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

QFT lol

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    The Corporate Commander bits are funny as hell XD
  • ElboneElbone Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Spot on review, he reaches to me on that one, which is why he's gotten popular in the first place I guess.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Watching and agreeing with him are two different things.
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    hmm games out for 3 weeks...it has bugs thus is sucks? intresting i guess i been doing this wrong..you know giving mmos a couple months before saying they suck. oh well i learned something new! but back on topic, AJ's reviews are usually pointless and the ones who comment about how spot on he is are people who tend to follow him on YT. I have nothing against him or anyone else who writes reviews, but honestly give the game some time to get fixed. Don't make me bring up WoWs launch...and if you claim there was not THIS many issues for WoW...let me remind you for the first week not many people could log on due to crashing right as it was loading. Then there was dupeing that lasted 3 months, and also account security issues.. OH and gold sellers...lots of em....in fact i saw one on there a few days ago.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by jircris
    hmm games out for 3 weeks...it has bugs thus is sucks? intresting i guess i been doing this wrong..you know giving mmos a couple months before saying they suck. oh well i learned something new! but back on topic, AJ's reviews are usually pointless and the ones who comment about how spot on he is are people who tend to follow him on YT. I have nothing against him or anyone else who writes reviews, but honestly give the game some time to get fixed. Don't make me bring up WoWs launch...and if you claim there was not THIS many issues for WoW...let me remind you for the first week not many people could log on due to crashing right as it was loading. Then there was dupeing that lasted 3 months, and also account security issues.. OH and gold sellers...lots of em....in fact i saw one on there a few days ago.

Much of the negative stuff he mentions in the review isn't due to bugs, it's just due to poor design.

The major two offenders being:

1.  RAMPANT boss camping is almost every single public dungeon which really kills the experience.

2.  Phasing preventing friends from grouping in a very large portion of the open world PvE.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Much of the negative stuff he mentions in the review isn't due to bugs, it's just due to poor design.

1.  RAMPANT boss camping is almost every single public dungeon which really kills the experience.

2.  Phasing preventing friends from grouping in a very large portion of the open world PvE.

I love the game and play it every day (for now) but there is no arguing the two points Creslin just mentioned. Number one is the worst issue for me personally. It has taken the joy out of all the public boss fights and public dungeons with boss spawns. There are either

A. 5-6 bots standing there ready to instantly kill the boss

B. A group of 5-10 other players ready to burn the spawn down in a millisecond

C. A combo of A and B.

This takes the thrill, excitement and challenge out of these encounters and kills one of my favorite parts of the game.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199
    You guys take angry joe way too seriously. He changes his mind on a whim. Guy is a bit out there. If you look at his earlier review of ESO he stated he'd never buy the game. Then he played pvp and was a complete 180 of the previous video. You guys would have better luck letting  Mel Gibson review this game.

no kidding did you see angry Joes review before launch, he praised the pvp like it was the bomb. Then he turns around and gives it a 7/10 talk about flip flopping. 

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

No! I'm not going to pay them while they get their shit together. They can get their shit together 1st. Then I'll pay them.

Besides, the damage is done. MMOs usually have a critical window to get their 1st content patch out to catch the 1st wave of sub renewals. I don't think they will hit that and will probably suffer a larger drop in Subs than they might otherwise have.

This game should never have been released in the state it is currently in.

As for WoW? WoW was lauchned 10 years ago......Can we at least make our comparisons from within the same decade? One should expect ZM to have picked up on a thing or two in that time.

Originally posted by Lazarus71
    Originally posted by Creslin321

I love the game and play it every day (for now) but there is no arguing the two points Creslin just mentioned. Number one is the worst issue for me personally. It has taken the joy out of all the public boss fights and public dungeons with boss spawns. There are either

A. 5-6 bots standing there ready to instantly kill the boss

B. A group of 5-10 other players ready to burn the spawn down in a millisecond

C. A combo of A and B.

This takes the thrill, excitement and challenge out of these encounters and kills one of my favorite parts of the game.

The bots are here due to a lovely little thing called free 30 days, get rid of that and bots have to pay monthly..wont stop them sadly due to the fact people will all ways buy from them. And if you read the dev section on eso they are looking in to how monsters spawn including bosses and seeing if they cant implement a way to at least make it harder for bots to continue their rampage. It still boils down to the game is new and will need to be "fixed" over time. changes made to spawns and such, maybe even adding extra anti bot things.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264

Got this in my mail and came here to just say this:

He is totally right.

Bugged to hell, dupes, exploits, every dungeon has bots in it, every quest you do has decisions but none of them matter in any way or form.... you can see they tried to do something but its clearly not working out.

As for PVP, last night i managed to see 30-40 people trying to kill a single vampire player who abused the game mechanics to get what is the most OP build ever in a MMO. 

Shows how really new they are to this...

My verdict: If they learn from this MMO their next one might be worth it but stay away from this one at least until F2P with bugs fixed and for when you won`t see EVERY solo dungeon boss camped by an army of bots.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

No! I'm not going to pay them while they get their shit together. They can get their shit together 1st. Then I'll pay them.

Besides, the damage is done. MMOs usually have a critical window to get their 1st content patch out to catch the 1st wave of sub renewals. I don't think they will hit that and will probably suffer a larger drop in Subs than they might otherwise have.

This game should never have been released in the state it is currently in.

as for WoW? WoW was lauchned 10 years ago......Can we at least make our comparisons from within the same decade? One should expect ZM to have picked up on a thing or two in that time.

the reason i used WoW is because it is (was to some) the biggest mmo out there. As for not wanting to pay ZO then dont..simply stop playing shut the fuck up and wait for a few months before trying again. As for them releasing it they did not have much of an option. they have a time window in which to get the games out and PC version was not even an idea until 1/2 through. they are using pc as a way to get some of the bad bugs ironed out for the XB1 and PS4 launches. as for the age of an mmo..i remember a few older ones that had a great launch with little to no bugs. but that was 15+ years ago so I'm sure you don't want to hear about it. 

This discussion has been closed.