Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joe Show 5/10

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    My respect for Joe and plastic chairs just went up.

• DarkeonDarkeon Member UncommonPosts: 48
    [mod edit]

Ohhh you didn't have to ...

1. ESO is a decent mmo (personal opinion / my own experience with the game)

2. Stop comparing it with Skyrim this is an MMO

3. Majority of players who brought the game are enjoying and playing the game.

4. Who the fuck is Angry Joe? besides a gamer who makes money by bashing games. HE MAKES MONEY FOR DOING THAT ... so for me joe is just another player. 

[mod edit]

• CoNk3rCoNk3r Member UncommonPosts: 70
    This game is as good as Guild Wars 2´s......... [hide] no idea on how to spoiler things here, so içi le link to make this a bit more melodramatic[/hide].
  • DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Dis gonna be gewwwwd -steals some popcorn from the 2nd guy in the thread-.

I hope i'm not too late for the party

• SynadilSynadil Member Posts: 30
    He's being VERY generous...

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252

Not going to watch this review.

Usually, all he is doing is tyrying to max out attention for his YouTube channel so that he gets more viewers and therefor earns more AD-dollars. At least he seems to be well doing so.

His reviews are another thing - biased, hatefull and disrespectful. Why should anyone want to listen to the opinion of someone that has not achieved anything besides mediocre entertainment by flaming and trolling over games!?

Unfortunately, hate and foolishness is a great source to form a mindless mob:

[mod edit]

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    [mod edit]
    Harbinger of Fools
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Angry Joe is a scrtb. He's pretty much the D-Bag of game reviewers and that's all there is to it.

I only played a little bit of the beta so haven't really formed an opinion of ESO yes btw.

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Dang phone won't let me edit that typo that's supposed to be "scrub" ..... gah!

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    So Guild wars 2 got a 10/10 while ago, and he called it legendary. Do this guy has a dice with 10 numbers on it or how is he rolling things out?
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Well Zenimax,  just got PWNED.

I was kind of hovering in "probably not good game , but i can not know for sure" area.

But now there is no doubt left.

Can not think this will be good for sales. And will probably make F2P happen even faster.

Maybe faster than SWTOR even...

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115

So, basically the biggest problem that Angry Joe has with the game is that he got into the game expecting it to be Skyrim with other people, with the same player freedom that the player has in the single player game for everyone. Which is impossible, because an MMO has to put certain limitations on player freedom so other player's don't get screwed over by one player's actions. (In a themepark MMO anyway, because you can't kill other player's to grief them back) He complains that he isn't able to walk across the entire map and find quests there that match his lvl, like the singleplayer Elder Scrolls games (in the SP game mob lvls are scaled to the player's lvl). Because ESO is a MMO with other people in it, with a diversity of different levels, the game has to limit the player to certain zones that are relevant to the player's current lvl simply because you can't scale content for multiple player's in one zone if there is a large gap between each player's  level. For instance a lvl 40 and a lvl 10 player are walking around in the same zone, to which player level will you scale the mobs? If you scale it to level 10 to accomodate the lower lvl player, the mobs are way too easy for the lvl 40 player and gives too few xp, and if you scale it to the lvl 40 player the mobs are too hard for the lvl 10 player. If you would take the average of both player's levels and you would scale it to say level 25 it's still too hard for the lvl 10 and still too easy for the lvl 40. So he didn't think this through.

Another critique of him: the quests aren't as good as in the single player games. He's right about that. However, again, you should compare it to other MMOs and not to single player RPG's which have far fewer limitations to deal with and can let the player do a lot more stuff and interact in ways with the environment that will never be possible in an MMO. Compared to other MMOs the questing is actually very good in my opinion. There's a large diversity in quests and characters. If you click through all the dialog and don't pay attention to the back story, yes then questing will probably become a chore. (Same thing applies to not paying attention to the story in single player RPG's by the wat) There's actually some very good and witty dialogue in the game I haven't seen in any other MMO. Also, if you wait around a little longer after handing in the quest to an NPC, in a lot of cases there are some interesting interactions going on between NPCs that show the effect of you doing the quest and also the choices that you have to make in some quests. This adds a lot of enjoyment to the questing.

Graphics-wise ESO is the best looking MMO out there, except for The Secret World maybe. Yes, it also looks better than Guild Wars 2. You might not remember it this way, because in your memory games of the past always look better than they do in reality, if you would check a game you played a couple of years ago you would probably wonder why you thought it looked so great. In my mind GW2 also looked better than ESO, however I checked GW2 again a few days ago and it's not actually. The biggest difference between the two is the amount of foliage, flowers and trees that is much larger in ESO. (Which gives you a feeling of emptiness, running around in GW2 if you're used to ESO) The textures look more realistic in ESO as well, although they could be a bit more hi-res.

One thing that you should keep in mind also is that Angry Joe admitted on his Facebook page that he didn't make it to lvl 50 let alone complete all the veteran ranks of which there are 10. So he didn't experience end-game dungeons nor the adventure zone for veteran ranks. 

Another thing that I missed in his review is: crafting. He doesn't mention it at all, while in my opion it's one of the strenghts of the game as it is very in-depth and yes you can make gear that is on par with the gear you can find on mobs in the veteran zones and dungeons. 

His criticism of grouping mechanisms in PvE zones and the many bugs that can be found in the game is valid tho. Zenimax should really work on that.

In its current state I would give ESO a 7.5 or an 8 out of 10, if zenmax fixes the bugs and grouping issues it might even become a 9 of 10. However giving it a 5/10 is ridiculous, especially when you haven't experienced all the content in the game, like Angry Joe.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by muffins89

Originally posted by Otakun
    You guys understand that he is more then just a youtube reviewer, right? If you don't care about his opinion then you should care about the fact that he runs his own gaming community. His entire community of almost 40K that DOES care what he thinks who will easily drop the game based on his opinion. But who cares, right? Pretty sure Zenimax does. 

dude. 40k is not on zenimax's radar.

It should be.  That's like half the active player base.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    Well this certainly brings some credibility to Angry Joe. He is simply calling a spade a spade. 5/10 is a very reasonable score for ESO. Every new game is not going to be 9/10 material, if that were the case, why even bother with ranking them? ESO is one of those games that is just obviously a flop. I appreciate it when that is acknowledged by gaming news personalities such as Angry Joe and Outlets like pcgamer.

Every new game is not going to be the best thing since sliced bread that alot of wanna be gaming enthusiasts and news outlets that refuse to acknowledge gaming flaws will prop them up to be.
  • SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

This is like the 10th "review" this guy has posted. First he had pre-beta review, then he had beta review, then pre-release review, then review-in-progress for live version.. Each one seems to have had a different score each time. Ranging from 4 to 8 somehow in the space of 2 months.

The guy's a joke. He's realised he can net viewers from doing this so he continues to do so. I'm sure in 3 months time we'll see the "POST LAUNCH REVIEW #4" and he'll be giving it an 8.

It's a shame the money has become more important than the industry to this guy because that's what people used to like about him.

This about summed it up:

[quote]

Usually, all he is doing is tyrying to max out attention for his YouTube channel so that he gets more viewers and therefor earns more AD-dollars. At least he seems to be well doing so.

[/quote]

Also: Every game is a "flop" out there to someone, it means they don't like it and have to take to the internet to suck in others on their quest to force their opinion on others!

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by Crusades
    Well this certainly brings some credibility to Angry Joe. He is simply calling a spade a spade. 5/10 is a very reasonable score for ESO. Every new game is not going to be 9/10 material, if that were the case, why even bother with ranking them? ESO is one of those games that is just obviously a flop. I appreciate it when that is acknowledged by gaming news personalities such as Angry Joe and Outlets like pcgamer. Every new game is not going to be the best thing since sliced bread that alot of wanna be gaming enthusiasts and news outlets that refuse to acknowledge gaming flaws will prop them up to be.

Why do you think the game deserves a 5/10 and why do you consider it to be a flop? Give us specific reasons? How much of the game did you actually play? It's so easy to discredit a game based on some impressions here and there, tho there are very few here that take the time to actually write down what their opinions are based on. Are you one of them?

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Angry Joe has 1,404,750 subscribers. That video has almost 70 k views. you guys really think he is irrelevant. I tell you if Gamespot pans this too this game will have difficulty going forward. Reviews matter .I read reviews when I buy things I read reviews and I compare reviews for phones, afghan hooks, books and so on. People do rely on them. Those of you who dismiss him well more power to you I guess.
    Chamber of Chains
  • Saio3Saio3 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Originally posted by SuperNick

This is like the 10th "review" this guy has posted. First he had pre-beta review, then he had beta review, then pre-release review, then review-in-progress for live version.. Each one seems to have had a different score each time. Ranging from 4 to 8 somehow in the space of 2 months.

The guy's a joke. He's realised he can net viewers from doing this so he continues to do so. I'm sure in 3 months time we'll see the "POST LAUNCH REVIEW #4" and he'll be giving it an 8.

It's a shame the money has become more important than the industry to this guy because that's what people used to like about him.

Um...Doesn't mmorpg.com do the same?

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/8427/Elder-Scrolls-Online-Review-in-Progress-3.html

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424

Joe clearly forgot the reason why mounts are so expensive and golds drops are so low:

Or maybe he didn't know about it.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by DEAD.line

Joe clearly forgot the reason why mounts are so expensive and golds drops are so low:

Or maybe he didn't know about it.

Mounts are expensive? I guess everyone can afford a mount at level 20 or atleast 25. It toogles down the speed of leveling and exploring for lower levels. and yes everyone who bought this horse with euros levels faster... but we dont live in the world of jelousy, do we?:)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

One point did make that i can't help thinking is entirely accurate is that it plays like its still in Beta, and with all the bugs, which while a few can be forgivable and possibly to be expected, the sheer number of them that impact game play is just crazy.

The grouping issues, in PvE, real WTF moment there, how can Zenimax really mess things up this badly, the game mechanics themselves seem to be the problem, whether its an issue with the game engine itself is a huge question, or a problem with how it performs in the whole 'mega server' setup, there has to be some reason why things just do not work.

If it wasn't for the PvP in ESO, then the game would have been a complete epic fail, and if they don't address all the issues in a timely fashion, it may yet still achieve that dubious accolade. The grouping problems are a major issue, and just watching AJ's vid totally highlights how much of an issue grouping is in PvE, these are issues that shouldn't be occuring after a games launch, and i can't help but wonder if its because of the amount of phasing and instancing in the game, and/or the game engine itself that just is not capable of handling the load without breaking, hopefully its just a bad coding issue that will be resolved, but until it is, then the doubts are going to remain.image

• SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by muffins89

Originally posted by Otakun
    You guys understand that he is more then just a youtube reviewer, right? If you don't care about his opinion then you should care about the fact that he runs his own gaming community. His entire community of almost 40K that DOES care what he thinks who will easily drop the game based on his opinion. But who cares, right? Pretty sure Zenimax does. 

dude. 40k is not on zenimax's radar.

I agree. Their radar probably crashed as well, and is down for maintenance. lol.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Angry Joe has 1,404,750 subscribers. That video has almost 70 k views. you guys really think he is irrelevant. I tell you if Gamespot pans this too this game will have difficulty going forward. Reviews matter .I read reviews when I buy things I read reviews and I compare reviews for phones, afghan hooks, books and so on. People do rely on them. Those of you who dismiss him well more power to you I guess.

Hold the press, 70 THOUSAND VIEWS!?@"

Well, that definitely represents the entirety of the ESO community.

Or perhaps the majority who don't like the game and were never playing it in the first place.

Because, hey, people who like games don't watch unaccomplished nobodies vent their biased opinion on a genre they dislike.

• nightbird305nightbird305 Member UncommonPosts: 272

You're complaining about his two impression videos on PVE and PVP during beta?

Feel free to point out where he gave the beta a score during those videos.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by cheyane

Hold the press, 70 THOUSAND VIEWS!?@"

Well, that definitely represents the entirety of the ESO community.

Or perhaps the majority who don't like the game and were never playing it in the first place.

Because, hey, people who like games don't watch unaccomplished nobodies vent their biased opinion on a genre they dislike.

It's just started. This thing will probably end up with at least a few hundred thousand views.

Edit: For instance, since she wrote that, it is up to 90k.

This discussion has been closed.