Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is DayZ that popular that it needed a clone?

EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

I mean i understand "cloning" games like WoW, CoD, Minecraft ... but DayZ? i mean really is it that popular that SOE needed to jump on the bandwagon and make a direct clone of it (with a few bonus features)?

Maybe its just me but i think this game could have been so much more than just another "Deathmatch with zombies in the background DayZ clone". I was hoping for a TRUE survival horror MMORPG a game were you are actively trying to rebuild the world and defend what you have rebuilt against the hordes of zombies.

its just sad i guess.

Comments

• Lebros89Lebros89 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    People that have no idea what they are talking about make the forums a lot more fun to sift through.
  • It's just you...

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354
    Originally posted by lebros1989
    People that have no idea what they are talking about make the forums a lot more fun to sift through.

Care to share your vast knowledge on the subject?

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Ecoces

I mean i understand "cloning" games like WoW, CoD, Minecraft ... but DayZ? i mean really is it that popular that SOE needed to jump on the bandwagon and make a direct clone of it (with a few bonus features)?

Maybe its just me but i think this game could have been so much more than just another "Deathmatch with zombies in the background DayZ clone". I was hoping for a TRUE survival horror MMORPG a game were you are actively trying to rebuild the world and defend what you have rebuilt against the hordes of zombies.

its just sad i guess.

You do know DayZ has been re done and re-released like 5-6 times, right?  Yet the game is still a pile of trash. Maybe SOE will do a better job with H1Z1 and get it right the first time.

• reemireemi Member UncommonPosts: 45

Not sure but, if H1Z1 is really a mmo, with dedicated server hosted by Sony like "WoW", then I'll play. 

If the servers are like DayZ, is don't see why I should play this. 

For me, DayZ is not a mmo, it's a "shooter" game like CoD. 

• Lebros89Lebros89 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    It looks to play nothing like DayZ.. In fact if you're going to cry "clone!" then you should be more accurate and use examples like WarZ, which it is far more similar to.. but if you eat an apple and then see a pizza and go "OMG WAS FOOD SO POPULAR IT NEEDED A CLONE?!" then good for you. i guess.
  • JeepEscapeJeepEscape Member UncommonPosts: 64

All the information that is available, is on Reddit.  The devs are treating the subreddit like their forums for now.

While there are obviously some similarities to the games, that is largely because zombie survival has become its own genre of games.  H1Z1 is a true MMORPG.  It will be PvP-centric and hardcore.  Don't go there expecting to have your hands held.

The game is still in active development, and we're told we will be getting early release (alpha) within a month.

The game is currently going through rapid changes as they ready the early release.  SOE, including Smed, have posted videos and and chats about the game.  This seems to be a special pet-project of Smed's, as he's been one of the most vocal about it.

This is a niche game, they know it, and they are developing it as such.  They clearly hope it will grow, but they are aware it's not a "wow killer" which is a nice change for SOE.

• AndraviusAndravius Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Could be that Smedley finally got fed up with the currents zombie games and decided it would be faster for him to play a good zombie game if SOE developed it with him pushing the project. 
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I think a lot of people where hoping for this and disappointed by when it ended up being.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    DayZ is that bad, that it needed a better version. The concept on paper is great. Their execution is terrible. At the current rate - the standalone will be in alpha for another few years.
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    So far all I've seen Smed shooting Zombies and it doesn't give me a stiffy. When their website shows more than a moonlit night I will start to pay attention... for me Reddit is not the way they should be passing on information to potential players.
  • TresteroTrestero Member UncommonPosts: 14

I was hoping for a TRUE survival horror MMORPG a game were you are actively trying to rebuild the world and defend what you have rebuilt against the hordes of zombies.

Because Rust's community totally never butchered that idea and the teamwork that would be necessary.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I like that a big company is actually developing a game in the MMO genre that hasnt been done yet (as far as MMO's) a good Zombie/survival sandbox is exactly what the genre needs

DayZ is a good concept, but a pile of shit 5 x over

• casper333333casper333333 Member UncommonPosts: 17

its just sad i guess.

No its not sad it only sold about 1.5 million units in standalone.  The game has been in the top five of steam since release in December.  Oh and it also put Arma 2 back in the top five for Steam when the mod was released for like 15 weeks.  So no its not really that popular.  Its a buggy and a shitty excuse for a game atm but it has made Bohemia a shit ton of money so yes it does warrant some clones...

• sonicwhip2sonicwhip2 Member Posts: 86

Who cares if it's a rip off. Zombies are an awesome idea to build mmo's off of and I honestly think we should see more of these types of games.

Just because it is a zombie based mmo does not mean it is a clone of Dayz saying this would mean every single fantasy mmo would be a clone of WoW and whatever came before it.

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223

Time will tell, but I believe it is SOE's intent to make a horror survival game where cooperation against the zombies is what is important.  Remember, they have Storybricks involved with their MMO development and they are supposedly making AI that is much more challenging.  Making zombie logic probably isn't that hard for them either given they aren't intelligent beings.

I would be very much surprised if SOE made another "Team Fortress Death Match with zombies as afterthought" game like DayZ.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by reemi

Not sure but, if H1Z1 is really a mmo, with dedicated server hosted by Sony like "WoW", then I'll play. 

If the servers are like DayZ, is don't see why I should play this. 

For me, DayZ is not a mmo, it's a "shooter" game like CoD. 

There are no privat servers like DayZ. One server can have about 1-2k players. It is however, as they call it, hardcore survival. Meaning that when you die...you die. You respawn with nothing and unless you find your way back to your corpse which is as they said in the twitch gameplay unlikly.

Once it goes live as a f2p game, I will definitly try it out. Before the gameplay on twitch I was a sure early access buyer but it just didnt convince me to pay 20$ for it to get in early.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

I saw some of the game play for H1Z1 and can tell you right now, the games have nothing in common besides being an apocalyptic zombie survival FPS.

Having said that, I'm glad a larger company has gotten their hands on this genre. DayZ standalone has been laughable with their updates and can't even add a bicycle to help with transportation. At the rate they are updating, we will be lucky to see vehicles in before 2050.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Yes. Day Z was one of the only reasons Arma 2 even got high sales. When the standalone released the alpha for purchase it was the number 1 selling game on steam for a long long time. It's currently in #4. Constantly has over 10k people online currently sitting at 17k and on steam and has a highest of 33k people online for today. Which by looking at it isn't many people but at the same time when you compare it to most games on the PC 33k concurrent users is quite high for a shooter or even an MMO.
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by mcrippins
    DayZ is that bad, that it needed a better version. The concept on paper is great. Their execution is terrible. At the current rate - the standalone will be in alpha for another few years.

Yeap.. and even in that state(buggy, unfinished(features missing), alpha) it already sold over 1.7 million copies as early access(and stating that it is in alpha with bugs and missing features). So yes... DayZ is that popular that it needed another well executed, and maybe even expanded(in scope and depth) clone. Will H1Z1 be that clone? Or DayZ Standalone 2.0 in 10 years? Who knows.. but there will be a lot of clones until that point.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I was hoping for a TRUE survival horror MMORPG a game were you are actively trying to rebuild the world and defend what you have rebuilt against the hordes of zombies.

Jeff Strain has been working towards that goal for the last 4 years

http://undeadlabs.com/

article from Nov 2009

http://www.destructoid.com/jeff-strain-talks-undead-labs-and-its-console-zombie-mmo-155866.phtml

"One of the things that is key in [the zombie] genre is really giving players a sense of purpose that is not just kill monsters and level up," he tells us. "MMO players like to have a home, and that is one of the reasons I'm not going to throw them out into a post apocolyptic world.

The goal here is to make them feel like there is a purpose. You're trying to restart society. You're trying to reclaim the world. One of the very first goals is going to be to get together with other players and establish a place that you can call your own that you must actively maintain and defend, and that over time will allow you to have a home base that will allow you to restart the economy, start trading with other 'blue zones' and feel like you have a home again."

Strain says that you will have to be defending your town, especially at night when the hordes come, but that as you build your town you should also build a sense of safety. However, you will also be able to run out into the land of the dead in order to get special items, supplies, or other things that are needed for survival.

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375

its just sad i guess.

DayZ wasn't the first zombie game and it wont be the last either. Zombies are a hot item now look at shows like the walking dead , and warm bodies. BTW there were zombies in Star Wars Galaxies before Dayz was even an idea. Death Troopers anyone?

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    The DayZ Standalone will dethrone all Zombie survival games once it is finished.
  • cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136
    dayz blows. hopefully h1z1 will not make the same errors.
  • SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I think a lot of people where hoping for this and disappointed by when it ended up being.

Complete misinformation. Please do not spread misinformation like that.

A) it's an active world that will have building/defending and Zombies running the storybricks developed emergent A.I will be running around the world doing random stuff - that is besides the random things the players themselves will be doing.

b) nobody has talked about server size yet. But interms of the size of the world, it's going to be X size in alpha, and it's going to grow from there as they constantly add stuff / new areas to the game throughout its development. The world is going to be pretty big from what they're talking about.

DayZ itself (standalone, never played the mod), sucks. I've never played a game so unfinished, so laggy, just a POS (sorry for the language but it's the truth). I played that game for about 30 minutes, and never played again. Zombies would walk through walls and doors. That was enough to cause me to stop playing right there. 

h1z1 from the looks of it, is capitalizing on the idea of a Zombie MMO since it hasn't really been done before. I'm super excited and can't wait for EA on Steam. SOE have the funds to do this right.

Originally posted by mbd1968
    So far all I've seen Smed shooting Zombies and it doesn't give me a stiffy. When their website shows more than a moonlit night I will start to pay attention... for me Reddit is not the way they should be passing on information to potential players.

LOL, I think you should watch some of their newer content if you've missed it.

This discussion has been closed.