Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No vertical progression...?

BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554

From the roadmap...

"Health: Yup…you can die now. But you can actually increase your health by finding increase items while adventuring through the world."

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/eqnl-roadmap.18810/

How is that not vertical progression? Whether you call it "levels", "skills", or armour attributes, anything that can keep accumulating and give you an advantage over other players is vertical progression in my opinion. I'll be really interested to see how far they take it. It seems inevitably these things make it into MMOs. Like in DCUO where the level cap is 30 and you can get there fast, but then there is a grind to power up armour and weapons which can make a world of difference in battle.

I'm personally really hoping this is more about PLAYER skill, as in using the right combination of abilities and movements to beat your enemy. Some abilities will be more useful in combat than others, but everyone can find and use them without grinding.

Comments

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    The idea in Landmark is that you will progress in gear probably in a somewhat similar way to TSW. But most of the gear will be crafted maybe with drops from mobs. You can already see the idea in Landmark now with all the craftable assessories that are useful for different tasks in harvesting. It can certainly work, Landmarks combat will be simple they have said that so do not expect anything fancy.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    But that is vertical progression...  they're just calling it something else. You still have to grind for long hours on scripted content to get an advantage over other players.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by Bidwood
    But that is vertical progression...  they're just calling it something else. You still have to grind for long hours on scripted content to get an advantage over other players.

On the one hand I see what you are saying, but I also think that it is a bit of a minor distinction. To me vertical progression is like a singular tower of levels that you climb while being locked in a class.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    Originally posted by Archlyte

On the one hand I see what you are saying, but I also think that it is a bit of a minor distinction. To me vertical progression is like a singular tower of levels that you climb while being locked in a class.

Why is "being locked in a class" part of the equation? Vertical to me means going up...  so if there's vertical progression, you focus on going up and above other players through some number that is tracked by the game and lets you defeat them.

I think EQN needs to get away from that otherwise it will be all about grinding scripted content to climb the ladder.

Why not make it about exploring and finding all of the classes, choosing the right combination of abilities on your loadout and wearing decent armour, and then going and kicking butt by using the right combination of movements and abilities? If they make the gameplay varied and interesting enough this could totally work. Just like in Mortal Kombat where you can have the weakest loadout and still beat someone with the best one through your skill as a player.

I thought this is where the devs were headed. There is still room for this to be the case if there is a maximum level your health can reach. I'm OK with some vertical progression, but believe it should be possible to reach the top relatively quickly and without grinding.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Are you talking about Landmark or EQN? Since they dropped the EQ from the title, I'm assuming things such as the progression system in Landmark, won't be what we are seeing in EQN as they are completely different takes on a mmo. I'm assuming they said it, but I also don't remember them saying no insert progression type for Landmark, thought most of the horizontal talk was EQN specific.
  • KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

Landmark is a game about design and creativity, even when you will be able to create your own dungeons, program the AI of the mobs and design the whole adventure you will still be limited by your creativity and skills. You can not really grind creativity and design skills.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch