Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Video] Some intense combat in Black Desert

It shows some crazy mechanics quite nicely that are involved in the pve combat. Among many other greatness, the mobility of your character and interactivity with the mobs (like lifting them up and smashing them into the rest) are pretty pretty neat. Never seen such impactful combat paired with this kind of beautifully rendered environment and models in an mmo or just any other game. The second part is even more intriguing imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raTg619Sw7k

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Everything looks great except the white flash with every hit. That would give me a headache after a while.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• gmaba01gmaba01 Member Posts: 21

Looking good!

Main complaint is how some of the skills have this slight pause at the end, like "come hit me guys while I pose for the camera". Really breaks combat fluidity.

Effects could also be toned down a notch.

• gimmiblackdesertnowgimmiblackdesertnow Member Posts: 56
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Everything looks great except the white flash with every hit. That would give me a headache after a while.

There are both pros and cons of that, but I think overall it helps immersion. Combat should be intense, and being exposed to these kinds of intense experiences should give you a headache after a while. But of course you can  pick your own play styles. 

Also, if you zoomed this close on a melee character in WoW or similar mmo's, you would see much more "flashiness" I think.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

As long as i can turn off all that camera shake and flash then it'll be fine.

At the same time, i'm really tired of seeing solo combat in trailers and previews.  I'd like to hear and see how group content works in this game and how classes interact with each other.  There is a video showing off class class buffing but i'd like to see that expanded on.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Lol.....it should give you headaches?  Really?  That should be a design choice of the developers?  To give their player base headaches while playing....

please stop....

What you see is the problem with this game.  There is an extreme disconnect with what the game world looks like and the typical Asian-style-fast-paced-combat-with-giant-swords that you see in every Eastern MMO.  The game looks like it could be an ultra realistic game, so why the arcade combat system. 

Does not mesh.

Originally posted by koboldfodder

Lol.....it should give you headaches?  Really?  That should be a design choice of the developers?  To give their player base headaches while playing....

please stop....

What you see is the problem with this game.  There is an extreme disconnect with what the game world looks like and the typical Asian-style-fast-paced-combat-with-giant-swords that you see in every Eastern MMO.  The game looks like it could be an ultra realistic game, so why the arcade combat system. 

Does not mesh.

I don't get it. How do you expect to combat these kinds of massive foes that we also got used to in previous mmo's without engaging in an intense fight situation? Swinging your sword here and there wouldn't make you credible of being a killing machine.

There are many customizations in the game too, probably including options to tune down visual effects and such. And you can also just zoom out a little bit :)

I know those games like Devil May Cry, I haven't played any of them because of what you said I think likewise. But I don't feel that concern present here. The sorceress' style and effects are just perfect btw <3

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Looks like DA2 combat.  No thanks.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Though the combat looks pretty cool and intense for the most part, I'm willing to bet that it will get mentally tiring to play that game for more than an hour or two at one sitting.  If that.  Of course I'm starting to suffer from old dude syndrome so it might just be me.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• BeowulfsamBeowulfsam Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Alders

As long as i can turn off all that camera shake and flash then it'll be fine.

At the same time, i'm really tired of seeing solo combat in trailers and previews.  I'd like to hear and see how group content works in this game and how classes interact with each other.  There is a video showing off class class buffing but i'd like to see that expanded on.

Couldn't be turned off in CBT1.

I seriously doubt that you'll be able to turn it off - as that is the "style" of combat they went for - more of an arcade fighter style.

As a fighting game fan, I understand the combo - flash and pause system that fighting games utilize (especially when it comes to frame counting) - but I am still not convinced that this is necessary in a MMORPG.

I sort of doubt that there is ANY reason to do this (as frame counting in Black Desert is pointless, it's not a fighting game) - so yes I can see it as a huge turnoff.

Yeh, they could just make the animation a bit longer and let it flow in to the next seamlessly. 

• AmateAmate Member Posts: 88

That's not true, you could turn it off. They added it in the day 2 patch because literally everyone and their mothers were complaining about it, and for a good reason I suppose.

Originally posted by Amate

That's not true, you could turn it off. They added it in the day 2 patch because literally everyone and their mothers were complaining about it, and for a good reason I suppose.

There you go :)) Seems like the original audience is not so different after all.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

I got nauseous after 1 min watching that vid. Reminds me a lot of coin-op video game machines of the 80s-90s. even the sounds are similar. 

btw, why were the mobs merilly going about their business until attacked? Is this a sign of the AI? Not looking good imho.

• silentkillahsilentkillah Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I never ever have gotten motion sickness watching anything or doing anything. But after watching that video for more than 30 seconds my stomach began to churn. Wtf is going on hahah.
  • manio22manio22 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by Galadourn

I got nauseous after 1 min watching that vid. Reminds me a lot of coin-op video game machines of the 80s-90s. even the sounds are similar. 

btw, why were the mobs merilly going about their business until attacked? Is this a sign of the AI? Not looking good imho.

Exactly my thoughts, you can admire the animations and all the effects for about 1 min in every game. Then what hooks you into it is the mechanics and the story . We have no idea about either, but the enemies look indeed like they sitting there waiting to be killed....

I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it
    --Voltaire

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    I can't see how the pvp will be any good with combat like this... :/

• HakulaniHakulani Member UncommonPosts: 47
    With all those flashes and quick movements, it cause me to have a seizure if I tried playing that. "already has epilepsy seizures" No other games have made me have one, I'm sure this one would.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by gimmiblackdesertnow
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

There are both pros and cons of that, but I think overall it helps immersion. Combat should be intense, and being exposed to these kinds of intense experiences should give you a headache after a while. But of course you can  pick your own play styles. 

Also, if you zoomed this close on a melee character in WoW or similar mmo's, you would see much more "flashiness" I think.

i think this is a "to each his own" example.

I think it ruins immersion and doesn't make combat intense.

"For me" what makes combat intense is how the character connects with a weapon, how they move, the pacing, what happens if I lose, etc.

I've always loved many things about Asian games but the constant light show is not one of them.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

Looks very amazing, I like the pose in between each set of hit he was doing. Yes it does look like come on, come and get me kind of thing. But it allows the viewer to see what damage he does for each skills. 

Also it looks more real like that. Imagine in real life fight you will pause after a certain amount of hit you give to a opponent. Specially if they are big hits. So in a sense it is good. Probably not in every situation i do agree.

Another thing is those big swords, i have to agree with the others, it looks bad. Except for the bard at the end of the vid, he was doing everything we can expect from a barb and the big weapon it does fit a barb.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Way better than the cardboard cutouts going head to head in ESO.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

As I get older my interest in anime style combat dwindles (not that I ever had a great interest in it ever outside of actual anime). The game visually looks amazing but if everything was slowed down to a point where you actually can see what is happening instead of flashing lights and ADHD speed combat so realism could shine through, It could have potential in a more western rpg style community.

One massive turn off evident in the video (outside of stylistic preferences noted above ... which is more a personal thing anyway) is that there is nearly zero actual AI. The fighters are taking on several incredibly large mobs which continue to stand around and walk without even noticing they are being attacked ... until actually attacked. There seems to be no resource limiting chain rolling and flipping and combat is entirely a spam fest.

I can only speak of what is in the video, and the sandbox elements could be outstanding, but this is nothing more than flashy, video shaking, arcade style combat we can see in most asian made console games (or arcade). Can anyone here actually say, in all honestly, that they can see what is happening in combat? It is little more than a camera shaking, flashing mess where even the blood splatter is hidden by white noise. This could be appealing to many but an absolute game stopper for many mmorpg players especially in the west.

This only proves to me that asian mmos will never appeal to me. I am part of the generation that moved from pen on paper rpg to single player D&D style pc rpgs to mmorpgs evolved from that lineage. Perhaps western youth growing up on asian anime series (extremely hard to find and import to the west when I was young) are increasing demand for such games but I see little more than GW2 style spam combat where each ability has little purpose and impact in a fight. It is the huge discrepancy in style that creates the alienation of audiences. You either love it or ****ing hate it. Count me in the latter. 

I'm not here to bash it. I merely describe it and luckily there seems to be enough variety in mmo choice on the horizon for everyone. Not something I could say 2 years ago.

You stay sassy!

• FarzoFarzo Member Posts: 12

I've looked very little into this MMORPG. I've just seen it now and then and thought it looked cool.

The combat sure looks cool, so to say, but I would probably get confused in an instant with a combat like this.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Agreed on the flashing stuff. I got a headache only after seeing that video, it's pointless and it only disorients you and takes away from the action.

But anyway, still impressive.

It looked a bit too spammy for my tastes as well, with the typical hack&slash "move through tons of brainless mobs" feel. But that can be offset by the rest of the game.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Everything is very shaky and flashy with the occasional distortion and i also dislike the the camera distance, especially on the archer scene, it was very chaotic with all the shaking around with multiple mobs that didn't fit into the frame and didn't seem to do much more then try to catch the PC and die, lol.

Apart from that, i get the feeling that this game will be extremely grindy but time will tell.

Originally posted by -aLpHa-

Everything is very shaky and flashy with the occasional distortion and i also dislike the the camera distance, especially on the archer scene, it was very chaotic with all the shaking around with multiple mobs that didn't fit into the frame and didn't seem to do much more then try to catch the PC and die, lol.

Apart from that, i get the feeling that this game will be extremely grindy but time will tell.

What if I told you, you can turn off camera shaking and alter camera distance -.- Stop thinking that after you watching one video you know the whole game.

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by gimmiblackdesertnow

Originally posted by -aLpHa- Everything is very shaky and flashy with the occasional distortion and i also dislike the the camera distance, especially on the archer scene, it was very chaotic with all the shaking around with multiple mobs that didn't fit into the frame and didn't seem to do much more then try to catch the PC and die, lol. Apart from that, i get the feeling that this game will be extremely grindy but time will tell.
    What if I told you, you can turn off camera shaking and alter camera distance -.- Stop thinking that after you watching one video you know the whole game.

I watched multiple videos (steparu gaming channel for example), the camera distance was this short on all of them.

I never said i know the whole game (i have no clue where you got that from), i said i get the feeling and i wrote my impressions of what i saw in that particular video.