Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A true review 1-80x4

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

They did soo many things right with only a few negatives. 

Pros.

1.  Best large scale pvp. 

They did a great job of making a zerg powerful and an organized zerg even more powerful.  This game is massive warfare game if you don't like zerg yes there is some small group fighting as well.  A well organized zerg of 20 players can destroy a zerg of 40 players quite easily.  Once I was trying to capture a castle with a zerg we had to run inside and wipe out the siege weapons then retreat and regroup before we could capture the castle.  This game makes you think if you want to win.

2.  Plenty of pve content.

Mini bosses, Area bosses, world bosses and instanced dungeons this game has it all.  Loot system is like Diablo II,  if you liked trying to find good stuff in Diablo II then you will like how this game is setup for getting nice loot.

3.  True skill PVP arena's

The pvp arena's everyone has the same gear and same stats its up to whoever to win because of their pure skill.  If you are a skilled player you will be good if not you lose that's all it takes.

4.  Servers are always up even during patches.

5.  400 players on a battlefield and theres no lag.

Cons.

1.  PVP is hard to master.

It takes a long time to master this game.  If you don't believe me then go into some pvp and see yourself get stomped.

2.  This game has a ton of good PVP players.

3.  Gaming Mouse or Joystick is required to be good.

The ui settings are elementary you must have a gaming mouse.

4.  ESO will beat them for best massive warfare game when it launches.

Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by filmoret

They did soo many things right with only a few negatives. 

Pros.

1.  Best large scale pvp. 

They did a great job of making a zerg powerful and an organized zerg even more powerful.  This game is massive warfare game if you don't like zerg yes there is some small group fighting as well.  A well organized zerg of 20 players can destroy a zerg of 40 players quite easily.  Once I was trying to capture a castle with a zerg we had to run inside and wipe out the siege weapons then retreat and regroup before we could capture the castle.  This game makes you think if you want to win.

Never been in a very serious guild dedicated to highly skilled WvW. I've been plenty of times on TS with commanders and I agree a good commander helps a lot. But it also requires the same mindset of all the people in the zerg. Which is what it should be.

2.  Plenty of pve content.

Mini bosses, Area bosses, world bosses and instanced dungeons this game has it all.  Loot system is like Diablo II,  if you liked trying to find good stuff in Diablo II then you will like how this game is setup for getting nice loot.

The game has plenty of contest for so long, it's all down to what the player expects and wants. I've taken many breaks and lately started playing again and changing my mindset of what to expect out of the game helps. I've no idea what Diablo 2 loot is, but the loot system in GW2 is very lackluster to me. They need to make money, but releasing skins in cash shop and not letting players atleast have a chance to obtain these ingame is just one example. 

DR and systems in place to prevent players farming and forcing players to do different content if they want the optimal way to farm, is not a system i'm a fan of. There is too many systems in this game for my taste.(DR, daily dungeon rewards, daily BIG boss rewards) Global economy seems to be one of the causes of this.

3.  True skill PVP arena's

The pvp arena's everyone has the same gear and same stats its up to whoever to win because of their pure skill.  If you are a skilled player you will be good if not you lose that's all it takes.

Nothing to say against this. But being a GW1 player the PvP in GW2 is subpar. PvP does not have to be 100% balanced and strictly set in one single game mode, to be fun and require skill. If you played GW1 you will know what I'm talking about. It's the best PvP I've ever played and will likely never experience again.

4.  Servers are always up even during patches.

One of the few good features they kept from GW1!

5.  400 players on a battlefield and theres no lag.

This is simply not true unless you work for NASA and play at work.

Cons.

1.  PVP is hard to master.

It takes a long time to master this game.  If you don't believe me then go into some pvp and see yourself get stomped.

I gave up on PvP because I did not master it. It sure does require a ton of time to grasp all of it. But personally I found the capture mode quite boring. I did not have fun even when winning. Played only PvP in beta and had some fun, but when it launched I was already bored of the game mode.

2.  This game has a ton of good PVP players.

Why is this a con? The issue is too small PvP community, after gold was introduced as an reward the amount of players increased by 40%. With the patch today it will probably be the same or even more. Which will result in a more balanced skill level.

3.  Gaming Mouse or Joystick is required to be good.

The ui settings are elementary you must have a gaming mouse.

I'm using my utility skills on my mouse. It sure would be a major boost in PvP if I were to still play it. For PvE it mostly don't matter.

4.  ESO will beat them for best massive warfare game when it launches.

No comment, haven't or don't play to play at this moment of typing this.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Not really a review, just bullet points... many of which come off as highly opinionated. Hard to master pvp? What game are you playing cause combat in GW2 is extremely simplistic. No clue why you need a gaming mouse there isn't that much to the game at all to require such a thing. If you take out dodging, you basically have Babies first MMo in terms of "complexity". Does that make the game bad being simple? No, it is allowed to be. Just pushing claims it is complex and has "Skill Based PvP" is a bit silly when its more leaning on the lower end of the spectrum as far as MMos go. 
  • BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by threefeet

probably the most worthless 'review' of any game ive seen since.....well, anything.

and thats coming from someone who is tired of gw2 and only goes back to wvw out of sheer boredom.

no you just did a more worthless "review" in another thread.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

Well I never felt this combat is hard to master after playing years of Age of conan, I know what's really hard to master.

Took me maybe like 1 spvp to understand combat mechanics and "most" enemy skills, even though I also realised it doesnt matter what enemies can since the only way to evade is CC or dodging. So actually it's more get a good skill folder and escape everytime ur at 20%. Worked out for me pretty easy.

I mean spvp's were fun no question about that, but it also were useless since the time i played I only gained "pvp skins" (which made me quit fast).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Gaming mouse? Joystick? Either is way too slow. Try a good trackball instead, after a few days playing it (in any game) you get way more speed since a thumb is way faster than a wrist.

You should write a little more about what you think about the game in a review and give it some kind of score (like 1-5, 1-10 or a percent value). Some bullet points are always good of course but also some general stuff, like how the game runs, looks and the average feeling of the game.

That is however constructive critics and not to rain on your parade. Reviews takes some trying and you did write down the things you think is important which is good.:)

And yes, PvP is not that easy unless you join a huge zerg and play really cowardly. All my favorite moments have just included me and one good or several not so good enemies. Personally I prefer having my thief skulk around and take out smaller number of enemies instead of zerging. Zerging takes some skill as well unless you only attack weak targets but it is in small battles the combat shines.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by threefeet

probably the most worthless 'review' of any game ive seen since.....well, anything.

and thats coming from someone who is tired of gw2 and only goes back to wvw out of sheer boredom.

A little harsh don;t you think?

Anyway to the OP.  I played GW2 for about 3 months hardcore (4-8 hours a day) then dropped off to a meager hour or 2 a day for the next 3 months till I finally quit.

The game does many things right but in the end I enjoy vertical progression as well as loot grinds.  I also disliked the rigid weapon skill animations, especially in the face of the free form tiered trait system.  I feel the game would of been a hundred times better if the weapon skills were player selected from a pool as well.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Vapors

Well I never felt this combat is hard to master after playing years of Age of conan, I know what's really hard to master.

Took me maybe like 1 spvp to understand combat mechanics and "most" enemy skills, even though I also realised it doesnt matter what enemies can since the only way to evade is CC or dodging. So actually it's more get a good skill folder and escape everytime ur at 20%. Worked out for me pretty easy.

I mean spvp's were fun no question about that, but it also were useless since the time i played I only gained "pvp skins" (which made me quit fast).

I played plenty of AoC as well, but I didn't think it was harder (or easier for that matter even if positioning is more important in GW2 while using the right attack is more important in AoC). The difficulty is really more about how good the people you fight are once you get the basics right.

As for escaping, it is good if you realize that you will lose but what health I have matters little there. I think I taken down most tougher enemies when I been below 20%and I usually try to get away as soon as I see I can't win even if I still have 80% life. But that is just the way I play and maybe it is because we thieves are a cowardly backstabbing breed. Most people are not that great but some are and there is little chance for me to take them unless someone else jumps in so stealth + run away helps in those cases.

Sunzu said: "There are battles that should not be fought...". :)

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

After a long time I'd like to comment on some of the points because once again I am looking at playing this game after taking a huge break.  The pvp was hard for me to master and I never truly became good at it.  Although I am very good at RIft,WOW,ESO,SWTOR, Archeage.   I don't understand how or why this game is so different to me but it is.

ESO's massive pvp battles do not require more organization and skill then GW2.  I don't know why they made this mistake but they did.  I am playing ESO right now and will continue to do so for another few months because its fun and different.  The reason is the siege gear can be moved and carried around and placed at any time.  Also the siege gear doesn't really help much when stopping a zerg from attacking you're castle. 

In GW2 a well organized 4 man group could stop a 20 man zerg from capturing a castle.  This doesn't seem to be the case in ESO.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • jabhamanojabhamano Member Posts: 22

in any of those reviews i didnt see anyone to mention "vote kick" feature. Which is the most terrible setting that i have seen in any mmo since forever.

While group is made out of 5 people, 2 of them can kick other one at any time for no reason at all. Even after killing last boss in dungeon you can be kicked just before claiming your rewards just for the sole fun of it. 

Developers however to make sure that players will get kicked frequently, gave gold rewards to anyone who is in the dungeon when last boss dies. So greedy players will kick you at any given time and "sell" dungeon on lfg to someone else.

There is no world chat, so you cant complain or try to pay back abusive player by pointing out to whole community on this server that he deserves no sympathy nor respect. Without world chat you are left with bitter taste of being kicked any you cant do anything about it. 

Players complain about this feature since release, yet its still there since over 2 years. 

ps. neither did I, nor You have ever seen anyone complain about leader kick setting which is in preatty much every other mmo.