Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen comming to Linux. Unreal Engine 4 too.

grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/112557/will-star-citizen-get-a-linux-version-crytek-officially-announced-cryengine-for-linux/p1

Reading the last 5 or so pages is enough to get the news.

Holy mary mother of god there is great news in this thread.
Confirmation that SC is comming to Linux.
UE4 comming to Linux.

Man it really is going to take off....2014 is the year.

We also got KDE 5 with Wayland support comming
NV's new OGL extensions will offer Mantle like performance increases.
AMD is ramping up new Linux drivers and a new driver model, and announced feature parity with NV in OGL features.
SC is in talks with peripheral companies in making SC specific gadgets.
Kingdom come Deliverance (Cryengine) is comming to linux ^^

This is going to be a very...very....VERY bad year for MS :)

Comments

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by grndzro

Yeah, and pigs will fly.

Linux have been moments away from killing MS for the last, what, 10-15 years?

Thing is, that if MS could not scare people away with Vista and/or Windows 8, its just aint happening.

Sure the Valve alliance with the hardware makes to offer up an alternative gaming platform seems to be one of the more serious attempts to attack the MS hold on PC gaming, but then again Valve have for strange reasons decided to launch that attack, not against the desktop PC market, but the console market. As usual MS seems to be saved, not by thier own superiority, but the incompetence of the competition.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Originally posted by hfztt
    Originally posted by grndzro

Yeah, and pigs will fly.

Linux have been moments away from killing MS for the last, what, 10-15 years?

Thing is, that if MS could not scare people away with Vista and/or Windows 8, its just aint happening.

Sure the Valve alliance with the hardware makes to offer up an alternative gaming platform seems to be one of the more serious attempts to attack the MS hold on PC gaming, but then again Valve have for strange reasons decided to launch that attack, not against the desktop PC market, but the console market. As usual MS seems to be saved, not by thier own superiority, but the incompetence of the competition.

Yes but Linux has never had even close to the progress it has had in the last 6 months.

Support from 2 major game engines that switched to a low cost continuously updated engine.

Support from AMD and NV, and a push for OGL 4.4 drivers on Linux. Game engines in general are switching to OGL 4.4.

Wayland support allowing better drivers all around. AMD linux kernel updates in the works freeing the GFX drivers from kernel revision changes. Kernel commits are up to 9 an hour which is more than it has ever sustained. Built in dualshock 4 support.

The list could go on and on but suffice it to say that Linux in the next year will be improving by leaps and bounds. The Steam game list keeps getting better. Why do you think most of the gaming companies are either retooling for Linux ATM or are seriously considering Linux in the future.

OGL 4.4 will allow cross platform compatibility and very good performance for new GPU's without the need to upgrade from older quad cores. It also allows game companies to make the switch from DX and support Linux easily. And with everything coming down the pipe ATM for linux supporting it is a no brainer for the game companies that switch to OGL(which has the added benefit of freeing it's customers from the stupid DX locked release cycle and the MS money machine). It also allows game companies to easily port games to the steambox.

MS has locked DX12 to Windows 8/9. Almost the entire PC community is fed up with MS at this point and it is driving rapid OGL adoption and 1 API for cross platform everything. AMD getting on board with Nvidia and it's new OGL extensions, and the upcoming improved drivers, and the improved Linux suport is the nail in the coffin.

Linux has never had this much activity and progress, and all together it shoves the industry into a competitive improvment frenzy centered around Linux and OGL 4.4.

And it can all be directly attributed to AMD developing Mantle, and the response by Nvidia and MS. MS announced DX12 for Win 8/9 only, and it's retarded plans for Windows 9. Nvidia came up with it's Mantle alternative by making OGL extensions that are just as good as Mantle. AMD adopted the new extensions in it's OGL 4.4 spec. Nvidia announced Cuda 6 which brings Cuda capabilities on par with Mantle. I'm sure AMD will follow suit as well with an OGL equivalent.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Yes, all very exiting stuff.

I do remember when all exitement was about the rapid development of Open Office and how that would kill MS.

Then it was about Ubuntu and how the Linux desktop was going to kill MS.

Now it is about Open GL and how the all game developers are going to leave MS to make über Linux games.

What I am saying is: I'll belive it when I see it.

Personally what I think will happen is this: Valve will deliver games to thier Linux flavor, where they can deliver the DRM the publishers demand. Open GL will make it easier to support both platforms. Linux will see more independent publishers making thier game available to any Linux flavor. MS will eventually stop supporting DX and save some development costs that way. But desktop gaming will still be running mainly on Windows as always.

Originally posted by hfztt

Yes, all very exiting stuff.

I do remember when all exitement was about the rapid development of Open Office and how that would kill MS.

Then it was about Ubuntu and how the Linux desktop was going to kill MS.

Now it is about Open GL and how the all game developers are going to leave MS to make über Linux games.

What I am saying is: I'll belive it when I see it.

Personally what I think will happen is this: Valve will deliver games to thier Linux flavor, where they can deliver the DRM the publishers demand. Open GL will make it easier to support both platforms. Linux will see more independent publishers making thier game available to any Linux flavor. MS will eventually stop supporting DX and save some development costs that way. But desktop gaming will still be running mainly on Windows as always.

Fair enough. With OGL 4.4 taking off there will likely not be any reason to switch from Windows 7 :)

If Linux hits 5% though it will take off like a rocket IMO.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    If DX12 is really going to be Win8/9 only, then it really only adds ammunition to OpenGL, and in a way, to linux, you only have to look at the figures, currently, win 7 has almost 50 percent of the worlds PC user base, 28 percent are using XP,  Vista and 8 are around 5 or 6 percent each, if Win 7 does not get DX12, then no developer will ever code a game to support DX12, simple as that, another simple fact is that if Win 9 at all resembles Win 8 with its ridiculous Metro interface boot screen, then it will fail even harder than Win 8 did, all Linux has to do, is improve its userbase beyond that of Win 8 - and it suddenly becomes a viable platform, but here is the rub, its not so much that Win 8 etc wasn't a hit with people who use Windows OS's (it wasnt!) but it is also turning developers away, or at least making them consider being a bit more inclusive when it comes to supporting different gaming platforms, that Steam is increasingly supporting Linux is also something that is gaining more recognition, and Linux is no longer the 'difficult' OS to use, its far more user friendly now, and i can see it becoming even more so now that interest in it as a 'real' OS is becoming more of a 'reality'. The gaming industry is beginning to accept Linux more and more, and the fact they don't have to pay MS anything for the priviledge must be a consideration, while it may not have hit critical mass yet, the time is coming when you will see 3 OS's supported by MMO's  Windows, Mac, and Linux. well you might see them drop Mac support image
    Originally posted by apanz3r

Star Citizen forums are a marketing and selling tool. You can be banned there by simply asking a question to moderators.

What's the question in question.

Without that your accusations are completely worthless.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I think people should stop throwing money at them before they take to much hay on their fork.
    Let them finish the game before entering a whole new stage of diffrent tech and problems.
    If this continue people wont see the game for another 5 years.

This cant be what we as gamers want, they need to bring out the game and continue developement instead of keep adding things and keep asking for money.

Originally posted by Mothanos

I think people should stop throwing money at them before they take to much hay on their fork.
    Let them finish the game before entering a whole new stage of diffrent tech and problems.
    If this continue people wont see the game for another 5 years.

This cant be what we as gamers want, they need to bring out the game and continue developement instead of keep adding things and keep asking for money.

Obviously over 183 thousand people think it is worth backing. If I was a developer I would be expanding adnauseum while keeping timtables.

The game is still slated for release next year.

Oops my bad almost 1/2 a million backers.

• Mr_SneakymanMr_Sneakyman Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Thank god someone is at least talking about porting to Linux. Ubuntu and its spinoffs are ready for AAA gaming (Linux Mint is XP on steroids). The only issue with Linux is that I have to switch to MS to play a decent game. If I could get a native Linux Wildstar or WoW I'd delete Windows altogether. MS is holding on to gaming for dear life. Once gaming becomes popular on Linux, closed-source operating systems will die a quick death. I hope I live to see it.