Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Dupe Bug Forces Bethesda to Take Guild Bank Offline

BMunchausenBMunchausen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff Posts: 400

The Elder Scrolls Online ran into a major stumbling block this week in the form of a bug that allows players to repeatedly copy and sell items. Rumor has it the bug was reported during beta but was never addressed, and players are fearful that Bethesda will have to take drastic measures to contain it. Thus far, the company has merely shut down the game's Guild Bank.

For more about the ESO dupe bug, visit Forbes.com.

Comments

• Blaze007Blaze007 Member Posts: 188
    Good read and valid points. But as of today Zenimax did not not even found the courage to admit  the scope of the exploit and its effects on the game. I simply do not believe they have any way of counteracting the exploit at this point.  The current game megaservers are busted.
  • SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

I'm not one to cry "dooooom!" but as someone that always enjoys watching ingame economies develop and trying to make my own cut in it by legal means I definitely would be exceptionally angry if I would have bought the game.

I wish everyone that is playing that they'll get their act together and fix that. Though in all honesty, the lack of reaction to such gamebreaking bugs doesn't give me reason to have faith in the devs.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by DirtyDozen
    So instead of doing your own story you reference rumors and a story from another site... I think I'm done with this site.

...Forbes. Forbes. Not "some other website".

Forbes has a reputation that exceeds anything in gaming. Period. Forbes is highly respected throughout the World. 

I think if Forbes is covering it we can safely assume its a pretty good source.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by DirtyDozen
    So instead of doing your own story you reference rumors and a story from another site... I think I'm done with this site.

So your heading to Forbes instead.. well that should be fun image

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

"When you make an MMO, you will eventually learn a hard lesson about how a single bug can derail your entire game. Right now, that’s exactly what’s happening with The Elder Scrolls Online."

i laugh it when noobs post about mmos. his first mmo to play i guess.

name me ONE mmo that didnt have probs with dupes, bots or whatnot. and no. it's not getting eaiser with the years. the engines got more and more complex, so, the only way to REALLY judge a company is how they deal with those probs, and seeing all those "why am i banned?! i didnt do anything wrong!" posts yesterday.... i'd say ESO is on the right way

[mod edit]

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• FelixAkumaFelixAkuma Member Posts: 1

Interesting that this site selects that part and dosn't include the finishing part:

"The dupe doesn’t have to destroy TESO, and I’m sure it won’t. Zenimax will likely work tirelessly to try and repair the damage, though how exactly they should do that is up for debate. A common suggestion is the implementation of entirely new crafting materials, which would make the duped ones worthless, though that would only solve some of the problems with the dupe, and the effects on the game’s economy might be long lasting regardless."

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by FelixAkuma

Interesting that this site selects that part and dosn't include the finishing part:

"The dupe doesn’t have to destroy TESO, and I’m sure it won’t. Zenimax will likely work tirelessly to try and repair the damage, though how exactly they should do that is up for debate. A common suggestion is the implementation of entirely new crafting materials, which would make the duped ones worthless, though that would only solve some of the problems with the dupe, and the effects on the game’s economy might be long lasting regardless."

because i didn't read that far, after his intro i didn't give a shit about his other rambling ^^

couldn't copy what i didn't read, can i?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266
    No point to copy the whole article. The news were put across and everyone was encouraged to head to Forbes to read the news. No clue what your problem is with how those news were put up here. The fact that they will do all they can to fix this mess can be taken for granted. That isn't exactly breaking news.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    This should be interesting to see what happens, and I guess it will do no good to point out every notable MMO has had duping bugs at one time or another EQ, WoW, etc
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Thane

"When you make an MMO, you will eventually learn a hard lesson about how a single bug can derail your entire game. Right now, that’s exactly what’s happening with The Elder Scrolls Online."

name me ONE mmo that didnt have probs with dupes, bots or whatnot. and no. it's not getting eaiser with the years. the engines got more and more complex, so, the only way to REALLY judge a company is how they deal with those probs, and seeing all those "why am i banned?! i didnt do anything wrong!" posts yesterday.... i'd say ESO is on the right way

yea right, you all got banned because you did nothing *G* suuuure

playing online for about 20 years now. got banned for every random reason... but NEVER because i did NOTHING.

Even before i clicked on the topic i knew someone would already have posted 'but it happens in every MMO' 

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

Yeah it does happen in a lot of games, but the major problem it this has been in-game since beta and has been brought up many times since then and stil hasn't been fixed. For me, that's a first. most companies jump on those kind of things that day or at least in a reasonable time frame, not until half the playerbase exploit it. And the bans are not all legit, some people have been banned that haven't even used said object needed to do the dupe, heck it's so easy to do you want even realize your doing it, it's not some long ass technique, it's something most people do on a daily basis that can cause it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

playing online for about 20 years now. got banned for every random reason... but NEVER because i did NOTHING.

Even before i clicked on the topic i knew someone would already have posted 'but it happens in every MMO' 

I'm not sure why people get bent out of shape about said response, it does happen in many MMO's. They all go on after, people do act like it's the first game it's happened to as well as "the end" in every case. So that part is the same.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Herase

Yeah it does happen in a lot of games, but the major problem it this has been in-game since beta and has been brought up many times since then and stil hasn't been fixed. For me, that's a first. most companies jump on those kind of things that day or at least in a reasonable time frame, not until half the playerbase exploit it. And the bans are not all legit, some people have been banned that haven't even used said object needed to do the dupe, heck it's so easy to do you want even realize your doing it, it's not some long ass technique, it's something most people do on a daily basis that can cause it.

Brought up many times, yet didn't blow up like this, I'm still waiting to see proof of this. SO far all I've seen is easily manipulated sources (editable review (with multiple edits the last week), screen saved forum entry). I find it hard to believe it would take this long to blow had that been the case.

Originally posted by Distopia

I'm not sure why people get bent out of shape about said response, it does happen in many MMO's. They all go on after, people do act like it's the first game it's happened to as well as "the end" in every case. So that part is the same.

Because 'it happened in ever MMO' is a typical response to deflect the attention from ESO. Only because it happened in every MMO some how makes it OK if it happened in ESO too. 

It wasn't ok when it happened in other MMOS and it is still not ok when it happened in ESO. People like these would only be satisfied when no one would bring up the current dupes and exploits going on in game anywhere on internet. As if that will make the problem go away.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

Brought up many times, yet didn't blow up like this, I'm still waiting to see proof of this. SO far all I've seen is easily manipulated sources (editable review (with multiple edits the last week), screen saved forum entry). I find it hard to believe it would take this long to blow had that been the case.

True, does seem it took a while to blow up. What i understand when people find an exploit they tend to keep it to themselves, exploit it as much as possiable, get what they can from it, notice they don't get caught, then share it.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

they are bent out of shape because they are the ones that want this "and every other newmmorpg" that comes out to be like the mmo that they were playing...like wanting chat bubbles name shields n gear scores n seperate servers and the list goes on n on ...cant wait till another month or so and all those people that troll ESO chat go back to their old game and sit in their old games chat about how bad things are there lol

Because 'it happened in ever MMO' is a typical response to deflect the attention from ESO. Only because it happened in every MMO some how makes it OK if it happened in ESO too. 

It wasn't ok when it happened in other MMOS and it is still not ok when it happened in ESO. People like these would only be satisfied when no one would bring up the current dupes and exploits going on in game anywhere on internet. As if that will make the problem go away.

I think it's aimed more at the "the sky is falling" type of response, or those making Zenimax out to be the worst of the worst over issues like this. Perspective is key to have on all things, even when people are pissed over gaming issues.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Meh it was not a big issue at all. nobody is going to realy see any negative impact on the economics at all. thats the handy thing abound guild stores, you never will impact the entire game economics 

True, does seem it took a while to blow up. What i understand when people find an exploit they tend to keep it to themselves, exploit it as much as possiable, get what they can from it, notice they don't get caught, then share it.

That's true people do try and keep exploits under wraps, but the whole thing about it's been reported many times, yet we have no real actual threads to show for it is the part that gets me. WIth so many people who comb the net for ammunition like this, it just seems odd it would take so long, had it been reported many times before, and ignored by Zen. That's the kind of thing trolls live for.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, as that would be foolish, I just want to see where and how it's been reported "over and over" before this week as many have been saying, in different threads/sites on this issue. They all show the same source when asked. The sources I pointed out above.

As a fence sitter, I find this pertinent information to base a purchase decision around, if they just sit on major issues like this, I want proof of that.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

This exact same type of comment was made when this same thing happened in Neverwinter Online and not only was that economy ruined, but the way it was handled made any legitimate player quit to never return, the fact that this is a subscription based game makes the matter even worse. That comment changes nothing and is merely damage control, this is a problem in the industry and play testing and quality control has got to start becoming the first thing these companies strive for, not fast money.

• papariospaparios Member Posts: 48
    Is still Anarchy Online the worst launch ever? We have a major candidate here guys :)
  • EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Originally posted by Braindome

This exact same type of comment was made when this same thing happened in Neverwinter Online and not only was that economy ruined, but the way it was handled made any legitimate player quit to never return, the fact that this is a subscription based game makes the matter even worse. That comment changes nothing and is merely damage control, this is a problem in the industry and play testing and quality control has got to start becoming the first thing these companies strive for, not fast money.

the diference is a World wide public AH and a closed limeted system of guild Stores (AH's)  its impossible to destroy game econimics this way if you have a Store system like ESO in place

Originally posted by paparios
    Is still Anarchy Online the worst launch ever? We have a major candidate here guys :)

Anarchy Online didn't work, there's a lot more to that stigma than a few economic issues, or unneeded ban waves. SWG was still worse as well.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I think it's not a typecal response to deflect attention from ESO, it's a response when people try to make up as if it's unique to ESO.

The problem is known by Zenimax, they are working on it. Do you really think people need to post more about something that is being worked on? Yeah some might be effected even if they didn't do anything wrong so they say.

Also tried to find any info about ESO in beta where someone found this dupe and reported it. So for me that is still a rumor that it has been reported unless someone is able to show me proof.

And just because it might not effect me, played so many MMORPG that had major dupe problems, doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed asap.

I think it's aimed more at the "the sky is falling" type of response, or those making Zenimax out to be the worst of the worst over issues like this. Perspective is key to have on all things, even when people are pissed over gaming issues.

I read the OP twice now to make sure and nope there is nothing 'sky is falling about it'. I think people who are in dire need of 'prespective' are the fans who are extremely intolerant to mention of any exploits, dupes or bugs currently making round in ESO.