Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battle.net App A Requirement To Play WoW ???

DysehunterDysehunter Member UncommonPosts: 18

So I went to install WoW today on a separate computer, Downloaded the installer from the account page and it launched the battle.net app, Since when was this a requirement ?

Comments

• AtlysAtlys Member Posts: 69
    They were beta testing the Battle.net app when Hearthstone was also in beta, and it hit full release a little before HS did. Now it is required for the 4 main blizzard titles (plus I imagine HotS). It isn't that bad, and even lets you chat with your friends no matter what blizzard game they are on. It also keeps your games updated unless you disable that feature.

On the eternal quest for that one perfect MMO.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I think It´s really nice, much better then the old launcher and It´s pretty useful being able to chat to people in game from the launcher.

I think they launched/enforced it shortly before the release of hearthstone / RoS

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

It also automates login to the games, once you log into the launcher it saved your logins for 30 days so no more need to type user/pass each time you start WoW or D3 etc . which should reduce keylogged inccidents :o

It's not bloaty either like Origin, at least at the moment it ain't.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Official information is that it's not required: 

"World of Warcraft and StarCraft II players can switch to the previous launcher by uninstalling Battle.net. As long as Battle.net is installed on your system, you will not be able to access World of Warcraft or StarCraft II through the old launchers. Battle.net is required for Diablo III players"

Source: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battlenet-desktop-application