Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spiritual Successor to EQ1

13»

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Is this thread some kind of April Fools joke?

ESO is in no way what-so-ever relatable to EQ1 and old-school gaming.

It's a fun EZ mode game like WoW, but WoW is not comparble to EQ1, nor is ESO.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931
    Not sure how you see EQ1 and then ESO. Go to youtube and look one up. Yeah... not even close. Now the spots where the ground is just green with no life no shrubs nothing yeah thats EQ1-2.
  • RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

People comparing ESO with EQ really upset me.

This should not happen, i should not notice any real "feeling" here, but damn i do. Everquest 1 was a better game then ESO will ever be. EQ was better and STILL is better in about every single aspect. Don't dare to compare them, they are not even remotly close.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by romanswinter

For those of you who had the joy to play the original EQ during its heyday, know and understand those special ingredients that made EQ such a memorable experience for so many people. The immersion, the exploration, the community etc were all pretty special.

Having been playing ESO since 5 day head start, I keep finding myself getting more of those EQ feels than I have ever gotten in any MMO since. 

I think the combination of the slow leveling, the exploration and the fact that you never know what you are going to run into and what kinds of adventures you will find just down that path ahead, the lack of auction house so people have to rely on trade networks and each other for weapons and gear, the limited skills bar, and the group / co-operation play that I have experienced where people get together to overcome something that is just too difficult to do solo and must be done as a group or community. 

Obviously it is not as hardcore as EQ1. There are no corpse runs, leveling is not AS difficult, there is no xp loss on dying, and it is much more solo friendly. That being said, I think ESO is a great balance between what made EQ such a special game, and the modern expectation of what people want in an MMO. 

I think Zenimax did a great job in combining all of these elements to make a really special game. I don't think it will ever have the appeal or numbers of WOW because it is not as casual and cute, but I think this is one of those games that will survive just fine with a subscription model because of its uniqueness and quality.  

What a load of starry eyed new shinny mmo rubbish lmfao.

Sorry mr zenimax but the only mmo that has come out since EQ that resembles EQ is Vanguard and no way in hell is ESO in the same ball park for exploration, open world, classes and features than Vanguard. Even with the games bad rep it truces ESO in features.

ESO is themepark at it best and a easy mode everyone wins mmo. The PVP is for casuals and featureless, put it up against Age Of Wushu's PVP features and ESO is a sad sorry joke.

• Don-QuixoteDon-Quixote Member Posts: 87

10/10

+1 for actually following the answers with a reply.

Best troll I've seen in a while on these fora. Just look at the reactions!

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Baphamet : Okay I will explain why EQ  is miles ahead but having played it yourself I should not have to. 

When I first played Everquest I logged in and had some food and drink on me and some weapon which I was told to equip i think it was in the text. It was in Surefell Glade. Trying to get out as a blind human was near impossible. I kept getting turned about in that tunnel and after 40 minutes I tried the chat. Someone came and stood by me and told me how to equip the torch and guided me out. Yes a total stranger who replied my chat and helped me out. I then went out there and died repeatedly and when I went to the guard for help I attacked him and he killed me. That was my mistake too. For the life of me I could not figure out what happened until I realised I had typed "hail" and since I did not bring up my chat bar the letter "a" was typed which then was the default attack key and I attacked the guard.

After awhile my food and water ran out. I could not afford anything in Surefell Glade because   they only sold iron rations on the vendor there at that time .This is April/May 1999. I then was told to go to Qeynos which was nearby to get food all along it was saying you are thirsty and hungry as I am walking. I got attacked and killed on the road I do not even know by what it happened so fast I was dead again and on my way to go get my corpse yet again. I spent more time going to get my corpse then fighting and mind you I had some rusty weapon and some rags on me but at that time it was all I ever owned in that game and it meant the world to me and I went back every single time for my corpse. I reach Qeynos and am so happy and I go buy some food and water muffins were the cheapest I could afford. I did not know about binding and I got killed by the Klinick Queen and was back in Surefell Glade. I was almost in tears but damn the game was so absorbing and I felt so small and in a huge world and so excited about it all. At no point has ESO ever given me this feeling when I played it.

I have not even touched the amazing dungeons like Solusek or Guk which I will bet my very last dollar ESO does not have even a quarter of in terms of the complexity or design . Please do not simply say you played EQ because if you did you would not be comparing that wonderful game to ESO.

Chamber of Chains
  • RigurRigur Member Posts: 53

No, no and no.

In your mind? Sure. On paper nope.

The first MMO you loved will always be the best. You will never get that feeling back stop trying.

• Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    If you venture out in ESO at lowbie lvls and fight a mob that is supposed to be the same lvl as your character, is there any chance youd loose that fight or have to pull back because you see another mob slightly weaker wandering towards you? NO... todays mainstream MMOs are cakewalks. The biggest dangers is if you gi afk and forget your character is logged and or fall off a cliff..

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    All I see is a floundering game without legs, ESO has no soul and cannot claim any novelty beyond its name so the natural thing to do is transplant another soul into it. Comparing the two is just a well crafted attempt to play on nostalgia to bring in the subscriptions. I'm not fooled, you either rise on your own merit or you do not, but stop trying to associate ESO with a classic.
  • DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    All I see is a floundering game without legs, ESO has no soul and cannot claim any novelty beyond its name so the natural thing to do is transplant another soul into it. Comparing the two is just a well crafted attempt to play on nostalgia to bring in the subscriptions. I'm not fooled, you either rise on your own merit or you do not, but stop trying to associate ESO with a classic.

With a Classic. LOL. Your opinion, and maybe that of more. Not mine.

Corpse runs, loss of xp. camp checks. OMG. The good ole day...sucked @$$

Started playing EQ back in 1999. I do not miss it at all.

Maybe Im a fanboy of ESO. It strikes me as a real good MMO, and a TES game for sure.

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    At OP: I'm glad someone finally came out and said it...during one of the beta weekends I got really drawn in to the game and a couple times I had the distinct feeling that I was playing an EQ-like game. I remember having that same feeling I used to get from EQ1. I would be all over this game but my pc is 5-6 years old and can't run the game without sporadic freezing. I am going to have to wait til I get a ps4 or upgrade my pc :(
  • ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Originally posted by romanswinter

For those of you who had the joy to play the original EQ during its heyday, know and understand those special ingredients that made EQ such a memorable experience for so many people. The immersion, the exploration, the community etc were all pretty special.

Having been playing ESO since 5 day head start, I keep finding myself getting more of those EQ feels than I have ever gotten in any MMO since. 

I think the combination of the slow leveling, the exploration and the fact that you never know what you are going to run into and what kinds of adventures you will find just down that path ahead, the lack of auction house so people have to rely on trade networks and each other for weapons and gear, the limited skills bar, and the group / co-operation play that I have experienced where people get together to overcome something that is just too difficult to do solo and must be done as a group or community. 

Obviously it is not as hardcore as EQ1. There are no corpse runs, leveling is not AS difficult, there is no xp loss on dying, and it is much more solo friendly. That being said, I think ESO is a great balance between what made EQ such a special game, and the modern expectation of what people want in an MMO. 

I think Zenimax did a great job in combining all of these elements to make a really special game. I don't think it will ever have the appeal or numbers of WOW because it is not as casual and cute, but I think this is one of those games that will survive just fine with a subscription model because of its uniqueness and quality.  

I have a hard time believing you ever played EQ1 seriously if you think this game compares in any way, shape, or form.

This game is nothing like EQ1... so i agree with you 100%.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by evilized
    Closer to a slow boring version of wow than EQ1.

guess somsone didnt play ESO. lemme guess, you are a lvl 10 pro? :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

As an EQOA player in the past, having played EQ 1 also, I can say they are almost identical to each other.    I share the exact same feelings as OP on ESO.   I even remember back when I was talking to someone about future gaming, and how I'd love to see EQOA someday with every single RPG feature that is in ESO.   

Read my OP on what I wanted and see how exactly like ESO I had said I wanted.  So really it is a dream come true for me as an ex EQ series player. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/59/view/forums/post/3910215#3910215