Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From Smedley during interview today: "SWG PLAYERS - OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED T

124»

Comments

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

It does indeed sound like it will be in a "post apocalypse" world.  Smedley today on Twitter confirmed that it will not be Sci-Fi and got into a discussion about apocalypse themed tv shows and movies.  It will also have FPS combat.

Personally, I don't really care on the genre as long as it's not fantasy.  I didn't start playing SWG because it was Star Wars, I played it for the type of game that it was.  Until SWG I actually hadn't watched a Star Wars movie.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by firefly2003
    Originally posted by Troneas
    Originally posted by Obraik
    Originally posted by MMOBlogger

I'm VERY confused. I mean TONS of people are like "OMG! Its back! SWG was the best game ever! I cant wait!"

Like please people, SWG was shut down due to not enough income to support the game, the Publisher & Developer both agreed that it was time to close it. 

"The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game," -IGN, PCMag, An there official statement 

So Its either You dont truely love something till its gone, or alot of you are imposters lol

That quote does not imply that it was shutdown because it wasn't making money.  SWG was doing much better than Vanguard was and yet that survived an extra two and a bit years.  it was only shutdown because LucasArts didn't want two MMOs anymore and figured TOR was the next big MMO. It was not... 

nonsense. SOE did not want to renew the licensing fees. they hinted as much if not admitting it outright later on. 

the contract was up, SOE did the math and it didn't add up. since they had the IP on vanguard: soh, they could keep it alive with just 2 employees (and that is exactly what they did). 

LucasArts and all you NGE lovers thought TOR was the next big thing. people with some grey matter in their head who prefer a more in-depth gameplay knew what was coming. how you never stopped to consider that the game ended at the end of your personal quest is telling, but not surprising. the game launched and Bioware still hadn't answered questions as to what people were supposed to do once they capped their level. 

and i am not saying this now. i have my posting history here and elsewhere to back me up. 

I was told by someone that when TOR was in development Bioware offered Lucasarts 20% more for in licensing fees, LA thought well if they are giving us more money, were going to SOE  and ask them for the same Bioware is giving us SOE declined, (as you stated the math didnt add up) SOE tried to negoitate Lucasarts wouldn't budge, fast forward to the annoucement of the closing of SWG and the rest is history. The game was making a profit, Lucasarts just got greedy and were without a home, but in the end Lucasarts was bought out by Disney and most of the is gone now.

The way I heard it was not so much that Lucas wanted more from SOE because of the payout from EA/BioWare, but rather they asked for more and stayed firm because EA/BioWare asked them to...EA was felt another Star Wars MMO, no matter how much smaller, would be one too many Star Wars MMO's...No matter though...Lucas wanted more for the license and SOE felt it was not worth it...SOE had no plans to shut-down SWG from what I can tell...It still had a small but loyal following, had clearly stabilized, and found it's niche in the market...It's really sad what happened because it did not need to happen....Both games could have co-existed easily...EA had made a massive investment and wanted some insurance...They did not want another Star Wars game out there...I really think that's all it came down to...

• Enforcer71Enforcer71 Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

I want to be excited, I do. But I am not.

Maybe it is because I have become an even more bitter vet since 2005, experiencing the march of the WoW clones, shitty sandboxes, and whatever GW2 is.

I'm sick of the hype and marketing that has been stirring people into frenzies only to leave most of them disappointed when the game is officially launched. No more preorders and no more spending hours researching every bit of data on upcoming MMO launches. This game will get the same treatment all MMOs get from me now: ignore all marketing and devs, wait until launch to see what the impatient pre-order folks have to say, decide if it is worth it.

Pretty much what I do now

Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there,
    80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters.
    Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior,
    and he will bring the others home.
    -Heraclitus 500BC

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I think it's great that SoE is the only AAA developer that has the balls to actually step up and make some real sandbox games instead of the next installments of more wow clones.

I think it will be interesting to see what they can do with their own IP and own ideas instead of being guided by a money grubbing big brother like Lucas Arts. I think Lucas Arts had more to do with the ruination of SWG than anyone at SoE.

Everquest Next is at the top of my list for games I'm looking forward too. Whatever sci-fi sandbox game they're planning will probably be next on the list when I hear more about it.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I don't understand how Smed thinks that a sandbox game that isn't sci-fi based is going to make swg vets feel right at home. I'm no fan of post apoc zombies....if i was I would play DayZ We have had a few of those now and most have kinda fell short. Most SWG vets were also Star Wars fans, (not all, but most).

We have had high-fantasy, post apoc, semi fantasy and present world based sandbox games or games with sandbox elements. None have done what SWG did. Perhaps nothing ever will be what swg was back in 03-04, but I still keep hoping for it and based on what is in the pipeline the closest thing to it seems to be The Repopulation, and even it has it's flaws.  For me it will somewhat fill the void, but part of the experience for me in SWG was living in the world of Star Wars and being just a common bro with not much of a background trying to make a name for myself in real time.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Smedley has lost his ever frakkin loving mind if he thinks that yet another Day-Z clone is in any way whatsoever at all a replacement for SWG.

If this is what he was referring to, then consider me stupified.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Leiros
    Originally posted by MMOBlogger

I'm VERY confused. I mean TONS of people are like "OMG! Its back! SWG was the best game ever! I cant wait!"

Like please people, SWG was shut down due to not enough income to support the game, the Publisher & Developer both agreed that it was time to close it. 

"The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game," -IGN, PCMag, An there official statement 

So Its either You dont truely love something till its gone, or alot of you are imposters lol

People loved the original SWG. Sadly, that game died when the NGE and CU went into effect in 2005. The last 6 years of SWG was just a horrible time where the game was on life support, and many of those who loved the original were relieved when SOE finally pulled the plug on it. image

The last 2 years were the best years of SWG. That skeleton dev crew cranked out some awesome content and reintroduced some old stuff as well.

I had my hopes up for The Repopulation  to step in for my SWG fix, but it's turning out to be nothing like I thought it would. Having a large percentage of the map dedicated to contested PvP zones is a killer for me.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242

Further proof that Smedley is determined to kick SWG players in the head as long as humanly possible. There is nothing remotely resembling SWG about this and to try and insinuate that there is is utterly disingenuous. 

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

Smedley has lost his ever frakkin loving mind if he thinks that yet another Day-Z clone is in any way whatsoever at all a replacement for SWG.

Yeah, A DayZ clone that has microtransactions.... sure thing Smed... that's what we wanted, right.

"But it has a day/night cycle guys..." - Smed

He's so much more out of touch than I originally thought (which was substantial).

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

And once again the same people same company get peoples hopes up and hyped so they will look forward to their product and spread the word in a positive manner.

You guys are gorgeous, beatifull people.   Ill talk with u once ur dreams are crushed by the same people again..  Before that moment be their puppets at spreading their product:)

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

Yeah, A DayZ clone that has microtransactions.... sure thing Smed... that's what we wanted, right.

"But it has a day/night cycle guys..." - Smed

He's so much more out of touch than I originally thought (which was substantial).

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

- Yoda

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by grndzro
    If this dosent pan out I will make my endless hobby to send varied packages of ants to SOE on a weekly basis.

Lmfao

• Geebus80Geebus80 Member Posts: 92
    People do realize you can still play pre NGE SWG right? google is your friend.
  • Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

I'll give him $20 when it releases on steam in 4-6 weeks. I gotta take it for a spin!

I'm also gonna watch the live stream of the play test of the game on Monday next week.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    Originally posted by widgin

I've been searching the interweb for info as Smedley said it's out there.

Only thing I came up with was that SOE filed a trademark on January 10, 2014 for an online game.

H1Z1.

http://www.trademarks411.com/trademark-search?c=&gs=&ic=&ld=&logo=&o=Sony+Online+Entertainment&oa=&page=2&q=&sort=&x=18&y=25

Don't see how zombies / infected would make former SWG players "come home".

I'm sure more speculation will turn up at some point.

Well done. The only person to make an accurate prediction.

And to those who think that the Repopulation will be the natural successor to SWG, you are in for a rude awakening. I made that mistake myself and wasted $100 by pledging towards the project only to discover once I could read the forums, It will be a very different game to SWG with PvP being the main focus and PvE players having to settle for a second rate version of the game. I no longer have any interest at all.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by ReaperUk

Only thing I came up with was that SOE filed a trademark on January 10, 2014 for an online game.

H1Z1.

http://www.trademarks411.com/trademark-search?c=&gs=&ic=&ld=&logo=&o=Sony+Online+Entertainment&oa=&page=2&q=&sort=&x=18&y=25

And to those who think that the Repopulation will be the natural successor to SWG, you are in for a rude awakening. I made that mistake myself and wasted $100 by pledging towards the project only to discover once I could read the forums, It will be a very different game to SWG with PvP being the main focus and PvE players having to settle for a second rate version of the game. I no longer have any interest at all.

That's disappointing. The game showed so much promise around the time they announced it and it's been nothing bad news for the past few months. Time will tell I guess, it's so hard to find good sci-fi these days, and kickstarter isn't helping it seems.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

H1Z1.

That's disappointing. The game showed so much promise around the time they announced it and it's been nothing bad news for the past few months. Time will tell I guess, it's so hard to find good sci-fi these days, and kickstarter isn't helping it seems.

Full time PvP players are louder/ more vocal than PvE players (who sometimes PvP). Even though their group is smaller, they get their way in game design for these small budget games.

For whatever reason these days in MMO land Sandbox game = full time PvP+Third person shooter. lol i don't know what the fuck to think anymore....sooo since no one is building a decent sandbox sci-fi mmo like SWG with something for everyone I'll just go back to not caring about MMOs and just play my non-mmo Steam games and be happy. xD 

SWG Bloodfin vet

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Sony at this point is all about making console games , there is no way this game will ever be SWG successor.  Those that think otherwise look a any of there recent offerings. It will definitely be an improved console game , but that's all.

• jandrsnjandrsn Member Posts: 187
    Just as I remember the good old days... Headshotting zombie quenkers on dantooine, then racing back to the prison to get missions from the sheriff and Darth Carl. And its free to play, so we'll have a cash shop? And of course twitchy combat! We really CAN go home!!
    Originally posted by jandrsn
    Just as I remember the good old days... Headshotting zombie quenkers on dantooine, then racing back to the prison to get missions from the sheriff and Darth Carl. And its free to play, so we'll have a cash shop? And of course twitchy combat! We really CAN go home!!

I still can't believe he wrote that crap...All this time, and everything that happened, and he still has no clue about the SWG community...Amazing...

H1Z1.

Thank you...I'm glad someone else said what I've felt for some time now...Not trying to be a jerk either...But you can't just come around and claim a game is going to take the place of SWG...You can't...So I would like for those who continue to do this to please give it a rest...Let the game stand on it's own merit...if it has any...But there is no replacement for SWG...Unless first of all it's a Star Wars game...And secondly unless it contains a multitude of the same properties SWG had...The sandbox aspect is just the start...There's the one-of-a-kind Player Cities...The many, unique and huge planets...The amazing depth that came with the 250 skill point system...The incredible crafting and harvesting system...The Galactic War both PvP and PvE...The space combat...The player vendor system...The crazy amount of different NPC's and monsters...The Beastmaster/Creature Handler systems...The badge system...The instances...Well...Most of you already know all this...I could go on and on and on...Nothing is the next SWG unless it's the next SWG...Or the old SWG...Nothing...

Originally posted by KyngBills

H1Z1.

Thank you...I'm glad someone else said what I've felt for some time now...Not trying to be a jerk either...But you can't just come around and claim a game is going to take the place of SWG...You can't...So I would like for those who continue to do this to please give it a rest...Let the game stand on it's own merit...if it has any...But there is no replacement for SWG...Unless first of all it's a Star Wars game...And secondly unless it contains a multitude of the same properties SWG had...The sandbox aspect is just the start...There's the one-of-a-kind Player Cities...The many, unique and huge planets...The amazing depth that came with the 250 skill point system...The incredible crafting and harvesting system...The Galactic War both PvP and PvE...The space combat...The player vendor system...The crazy amount of different NPC's and monsters...The Beastmaster/Creature Handler systems...The badge system...The instances...Well...Most of you already know all this...I could go on and on and on...Nothing is the next SWG unless it's the next SWG...Or the old SWG...Nothing...

yep...true true true.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by Makidian
    Originally posted by grndzro
    If this dosent pan out I will make my endless hobby to send varied packages of ants to SOE on a weekly basis.

Lmfao

http://crabrevenge.com/

Just sayin'