Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wardrobe

justmemyselfandijustmemyselfandi Member UncommonPosts: 559
Am I missing something, or is the new "wardrobe" just  a waste of development resources. It's just as ridiculous as the original system.
Star Wars The Old Republic Referral http://www.swtor.com/r/V7xMPn
Free 7 days of sub time, unlocks, and items!

Comments

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161

I actually LOVE it. I can mix and match whatever style I want without going to the bank for transmutation crystals. Also, the skins are all saved for the whole account.

For casuals and horizontal-progressers, this gives us a new goal to collect all the skins available in the game. It really is exciting and far from ridiculous.

But in the eyes of PvP players, I imagine that this wardrobe change is ridiculous for them. Before this patch, you can switch aesthetics without a transmutation charge. But I can't speak for them since I barely PvP.

As a nit-pick, the UI for the wardrobe system is clunky, having to click the back button to go back to the Equipment/Wardrobe/Dyes selections.

• justmemyselfandijustmemyselfandi Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by nastyjman

I actually LOVE it. I can mix and match whatever style I want without going to the bank for transmutation crystals. Also, the skins are all saved for the whole account.

For casuals and horizontal-progressers, this gives us a new goal to collect all the skins available in the game. It really is exciting and far from ridiculous.

But in the eyes of PvP players, I imagine that this wardrobe change is ridiculous for them. Before this patch, you can switch aesthetics without a transmutation charge. But I can't speak for them since I barely PvP.

As a nit-pick, the UI for the wardrobe system is clunky, having to click the back button to go back to the Equipment/Wardrobe/Dyes selections.

I don't know, guess I'll have to take another look at it. To me, it was as you said "clunky", so maybe I am missing something.

I'd prefer they'd have gotten rid of the transmutation stones, myself. Selling skins in the cash shop is fine, but then having to pay  cash to use those skins on top of it just strikes me wrong. I know you get some stones free ingame, but nowhere near the amount you'd need to have every skin.

Guess I'm just  spoiled by other games with "wardrobe" features where you just find a piece of armor you like, stick it in the wardrobe window, and move on. No muss, no fuss.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by justmemyselfandi

I don't know, guess I'll have to take another look at it. To me, it was as you said "clunky", so maybe I am missing something.

I'd prefer they'd have gotten rid of the transmutation stones, myself. Selling skins in the cash shop is fine, but then having to pay  cash to use those skins on top of it just strikes me wrong. I know you get some stones free ingame, but nowhere near the amount you'd need to have every skin.

They have to sell something in shop ... + you can get transmutation charges for map completion.

Originally posted by Malevil

They have to sell something in shop ... + you can get transmutation charges for map completion.

I agree they have to sell things in the shop, which is why I'm fine with them selling skins. But selling skins + transmutation is double dipping, which is usually considered a bad thing for cash shops.

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138

You dont have to pay to use store skins. Where in the world did you hear that?

AND out of the amount of skins available, very minor number is in the gem store anyway.

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161

I agree they have to sell things in the shop, which is why I'm fine with them selling skins. But selling skins + transmutation is double dipping, which is usually considered a bad thing for cash shops.

Think about it this way:

Skins that are available in-game (PvE, PvP, WvW) needs transmutation charges.

Skins that are available in the cash-shop (BLTC exclusives) do not require transmutation charges on purchase, unless you want to reuse the skin on another toon.

It would be double dipping IF you bought a cash-shop skin AND it requires transmutation charges to apply that skin to a current toon. As of now, it does not work that way. I bought sunglasses for 150 gems, and when I double clicked it to apply, it didn't ask for transmutation charges.

Furthermore, if you bought an armor skin pack and want to use the same armor skin pack to another toon, it is cheaper to use transmutation charges than buying another skin pack from the store.

Let's say you buy Trickster Light Armor pack: it costs you 800 Gems. You apply that skin to Charr 1. And then you want the same skin on Charr 2. If you use transmutation charges, it will only cost you 240 Gems for the whole set to be applied.

Think about it this way:

Skins that are available in-game (PvE, PvP, WvW) needs transmutation charges.

Skins that are available in the cash-shop (BLTC exclusives) do not require transmutation charges on purchase, unless you want to reuse the skin on another toon.

It would be double dipping IF you bought a cash-shop skin AND it requires transmutation charges to apply that skin to a current toon. As of now, it does not work that way. I bought sunglasses for 150 gems, and when I double clicked it to apply, it didn't ask for transmutation charges.

Furthermore, if you bought an armor skin pack and want to use the same armor skin pack to another toon, it is cheaper to use transmutation charges than buying another skin pack from the store.

Let's say you buy Trickster Light Armor pack: it costs you 800 Gems. You apply that skin to Charr 1. And then you want the same skin on Charr 2. If you use transmutation charges, it will only cost you 240 Gems for the whole set to be applied.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. I haven't bought any so I just figured they worked the same as ingame.

Now, I'm wondering. I noticed the dropdown tab under the wardrobe where you can pick "head, gloves, etc." and for example my Profane armor skin is there. Does this mean if we delete the physical items now  we still have access to the skins? If so, that's cool. Less stuff taking up inventory/bank is always better.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    The armor portion of the wardrobe is a slightly awkward improvement, but the clothing portion is crap.  It's a great way for Anet to suggest to the RP community that maybe there are better games out there for them.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,593

Guess I'm just  spoiled by other games with "wardrobe" features where you just find a piece of armor you like, stick it in the wardrobe window, and move on. No muss, no fuss.

That was my issue, as well.  When they first introduced it, it seemed like it was going to work like DC Universe, where it remembered every skin you bound and could switch things up all day without spending a dime.  I was definitely put off by the charge, but then it got worse...

Where I used to be able to switch out different color dyes in GW2 at 0 cost so long as I owned them, I now have to pay for that, too?  Account bound or not, that feels like a step back, IMO.

Edit:  Just tried to switch dyes again today, and no charges!  Looks like I was wr-wr...wr...wr...

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,035

Well the No Wardrobe is something I complained about for a long time that GW2 Should have had at launch in fact every game should have it, and it allows you to collect every item in the game account wide for skins and such which is good.

The Transmute Stone thing isn't much of a problem, and I don't mind spending a few dollars to buy them now that they allow me to use my Cash Shop costumes across all characters on the same account they have to make money some-how and they don't cost a lot either.

So basically they are giving you access to all the games content, you don't have to buy the costumes they sell in the Cash Shop if you don't want to no need to do it, I only buy the ones I can use in battle anyways.

Now they need to work on Player- Housing, and Housing Customization.

As well as fix Lions Arch.

If you look at it spending over 50G for Medium armor cosmetic armors for both a  Thief and a Ranger its quite worth just paying for it once to unlock the skin then it can be used account wide saves a lot of money and time.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,065
    Originally posted by Robsolf

That was my issue, as well.  When they first introduced it, it seemed like it was going to work like DC Universe, where it remembered every skin you bound and could switch things up all day without spending a dime.  I was definitely put off by the charge, but then it got worse...

Where I used to be able to switch out different color dyes in GW2 at 0 cost so long as I owned them, I now have to pay for that, too?  Account bound or not, that feels like a step back, IMO.

You don't have to pay to change dyes.

And with the new dye system I have all the non exclusive dyes in my account.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138

Where in the world did you hear you have to pay for dying your armor?

Why dont peopel actually TRY stuff before writing about it?

Dyes work EXACTLY like before with addition that dyes are now ACCOUNT BOUND instead of CHARACTER BOUND.

So yeah i finally bought complement of common dyes, since those are so cheap now and cherry picked master/rare ones :)

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

You don't have to pay to change dyes.

And with the new dye system I have all the non exclusive dyes in my account.

I just went back to check, and it seems you're right.  I must have misinterpreted something last night; either changed a skin and didn't realize it, or something.

So yeah, that changes my opinion significantly.  It's one thing to create a wardrobe system and charge a bit of money to do stuff in it, it's another to charge money for something that was once free.  Since the latter is NOT the case, then that makes me happy.

Originally posted by Droosteel

Where in the world did you hear you have to pay for dying your armor?

Why dont peopel actually TRY stuff before writing about it?

Dyes work EXACTLY like before with addition that dyes are now ACCOUNT BOUND instead of CHARACTER BOUND.

So yeah i finally bought complement of common dyes, since those are so cheap now and cherry picked master/rare ones :)

Cuz I tried it last night, and it was using charges.  But I tried it again today, and it seems it's not.  Musta zigged when I shoulda zagged while digging through the system last night.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Cuz I tried it last night, and it was using charges.  But I tried it again today, and it seems it's not.  Musta zigged when I shoulda zagged while digging through the system last night.

IT's because you can stack up a lot of changes all at once, so you can test out a look.

Changing dyes uses 0 charges, but let's say... you switched helmets.

Then changed all your dyes.

It'd cost 1 charge (Switching the helmet + all your dyes)

If you just change a dye it's 0 charges, but it still mentions it as costing X charges, to make it internally consistent with however many changes you want to preview at once before hitting 'okay'.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

The overwhelming majority of skins players obtain won't be bought from the gem shop.  You're almost never buying both a skin and a transmutation stone from the gem shop.  Either way, both can be earned with in game gold or even sometimes as a straight up in game reward.  I've already gotten 3 transmutation stones as rewards for doing different things in the game since the patch hit.  

As for the wardrobe, this reddit poll clearly shows it was a hugely desirable feature among players.