Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Imagine EA drops 100 million $ more into the live game

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by coorsguys
    Originally posted by superniceguy

I like freedom, and that is something SWTOR does not offer in any way.

Space on rails, planets with invisible walls and a one-way questing path and no way of playing other content except join the themepark ride.

LOVE sandboxes, it extends the playing experiences and adds own experiences instead of scripted presented to you by developers. When SWTOR stays the ultimate prison themepark as it is, I can never enjoy it.

I would say that KOTOR had the same style of graphics as TESO, but they are old and less detailed. If SWTOR had the same level of detail as the graphics as TESO / KOTOR had then SWTOR would have been awesome.

It is both of it really, I could probably forgive the graphics if it had more freedom, but there is little going for SWTOR.

Anyway double XP weekend this weekend, fro 8 hours time, so time to skip the already done side quests again. :)

Yeah someone with an avatar, sig, and history like this one cannot be taken seriously when it comes to Swtor .  It's clear Swtor is not for you, which is perfectly fine not every game is ment for everyone.  I do question the purpose (looked through your history) of spending almost three years now complaining Swtor is not the game you wanted.  There are plenty of games you clearly enjoy more why continue to post page long chains with the same talking points you apparently have had for years. 

I can not be taken seriously? To do that you should have posted some facts and info about SWTOR that disputes what I say, not attack me, my avatar etc, and post nothing about SWTOR.

The OP asked what people would change if they revamped the game like FF XIV. I posted and said about the graphics being cartoonish, which I am not the only one to think so

Graphics in a MMO to me are important, but not important for a game. In SWG it was quite nice to chill out in a camp on Tatooine out in the middle of nowhere for a while, with the atmposherics sounds of the sand storms, but that is something I have no desire to do in SWTOR because of the graphics and sound effects are non existent, and the area is rush rush rush with people running around completeing quests. Also when it rained on Naboo or Talus in SWG there would be some solemn music to fit. In TESO there is also rain and noise of thunder. SWTOR has nothing, which could do with being added too.

One other thing I have been complaining about is the lack of housing, and that is coming soon.

This is supposed to be a MMO where these games gets updated, if you do not post feedback on stuff you want, then it will never happen. I doubt the grpahics would easily be redone unless the game shut down and got revamped like the OP was suggesting, and this is the first time I have complained about the graphics due to the nature of this thread, but definitely I have not gone on about the cartoonish graphics constantly for years, it is usually other stuff / "talking points"

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    It would cost them way too much money to actually make the game the way most of us wanted it to be. One of the biggest issues the game has is the decision to use the hero engine. The game totally looks WoWified. If I wanted WoW I would go play WoW.  
  • coorsguyscoorsguys Member Posts: 272

I like freedom, and that is something SWTOR does not offer in any way.

Space on rails, planets with invisible walls and a one-way questing path and no way of playing other content except join the themepark ride.

LOVE sandboxes, it extends the playing experiences and adds own experiences instead of scripted presented to you by developers. When SWTOR stays the ultimate prison themepark as it is, I can never enjoy it.

I would say that KOTOR had the same style of graphics as TESO, but they are old and less detailed. If SWTOR had the same level of detail as the graphics as TESO / KOTOR had then SWTOR would have been awesome.

It is both of it really, I could probably forgive the graphics if it had more freedom, but there is little going for SWTOR.

Anyway double XP weekend this weekend, fro 8 hours time, so time to skip the already done side quests again. :)

Yeah someone with an avatar, sig, and history like this one cannot be taken seriously when it comes to Swtor .  It's clear Swtor is not for you, which is perfectly fine not every game is ment for everyone.  I do question the purpose (looked through your history) of spending almost three years now complaining Swtor is not the game you wanted.  There are plenty of games you clearly enjoy more why continue to post page long chains with the same talking points you apparently have had for years. 

I can not be taken seriously? To do that you should have posted some facts and info about SWTOR that disputes what I say, not attack me, my avatar etc, and post nothing about SWTOR.

The OP asked what people would change if they revamped the game like FF XIV. I posted and said about the graphics being cartoonish, which I am not the only one to think so

Graphics in a MMO to me are important, but not important for a game. In SWG it was quite nice to chill out in a camp on Tatooine out in the middle of nowhere for a while, with the atmposherics sounds of the sand storms, but that is something I have no desire to do in SWTOR because of the graphics and sound effects are non existent, and the area is rush rush rush with people running around completeing quests. Also when it rained on Naboo or Talus in SWG there would be some solemn music to fit. In TESO there is also rain and noise of thunder. SWTOR has nothing, which could do with being added too.

One other thing I have been complaining about is the lack of housing, and that is coming soon.

This is supposed to be a MMO where these games gets updated, if you do not post feedback on stuff you want, then it will never happen. I doubt the grpahics would easily be redone unless the game shut down and got revamped like the OP was suggesting, and this is the first time I have complained about the graphics due to the nature of this thread, but definitely I have not gone on about the cartoonish graphics constantly for years, it is usually other stuff / "talking points"

I was not attacking you I was simply asking why not find a new game.  I just skimmed through your history and on one thread about the geezer guy giving a review you were called out multiple times for trying to derail that thread by talking about SWG, so I look a little further and it was a constant occurrence.  Again in no way am I attacking you I'm just curious as to why you even bother wasting time on a video game that will never be what you want it to be.  I'm not here to bash swg (I easily could :) ).  

There is nothing wrong with criticism but to always compare it to a game that's shutdown and a game it was never supposed to resemble is silly, about as silly as saying Swtor graphics are "cartoony" I don't think we are playing the same game.  

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Here is a reminder of some more changes/additions listed by this sites main man Mike Bitton:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/6788/SWG-Features-Id-Love-to-See-in-SWTOR.html/page/1

SWTOR has space combat now but still not in the leagues of what SWG had

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210

Here is a reminder of some more changes/additions listed by this sites main man Mike Bitton:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/6788/SWG-Features-Id-Love-to-See-in-SWTOR.html/page/1

SWTOR has space combat now but still not in the leagues of what SWG had

yeah thank god SWTORS space combat is leagues above SWG space combat.   SWG space combat was clunky and unbalanced.    

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    You know what they say about beating a dead horse, DON'T DO IT.
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by DocBrody

... and takes it offline for a whole year for a revamp.

Which changes and additions would you expect for a massive comeback?

EA doesn't know how to make MMOs.

Bioware doesn't know how to make MMOs.

I'd expect no change. There is almost nothing redeemable about this game. The best thing they could do would be to repackage it and sell it as a singleplayer RPG with COOP. It would need about 4 years of reworking to be a servicable MMO.

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    This game is a very serviceable MMORPG just not for some with certain tastes and expectations. It meets and exceeds mine.
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

I'd expect no change. There is almost nothing redeemable about this game. The best thing they could do would be to repackage it and sell it as a singleplayer RPG with COOP. It would need about 4 years of reworking to be a servicable MMO.

You don't know much about Swtor.

You don't know the current state of Swtor .

The fact that it's the 3rd most popular western MMO proved they know a few things about making an MMO.

Just because you don't like it does not mean it's not an MMO, just because you think you know how to build an MMO doesn't mean they do not.

There is nothing wrong with not liking a game but there is something majorly wrong with making ridiculous, baseless, and inaccurate accusations on something you clearly have no clue on.

The fact that it's the 3rd most popular western MMO proved they know a few things about making an MMO.

If that was true, they wouldn't have fired 75% of their dev staff, scrambled to go FTP, and wouldn't be working with such a small crew that they can't even add new classes to the game because of the "technical challenges".

Absolutely no sources say its the third most popular MMO, but plenty show how far the population as buckled.

If that was true, they wouldn't have fired 75% of their dev staff, scrambled to go FTP, and wouldn't be working with such a small crew that they can't even add new classes to the game because of the "technical challenges".

Absolutely no sources say its the third most popular MMO, but plenty show how far the population as buckled.

You keep living in 2012, the rest will continue to enjoy this mmorpg.  While you live in 2012 I recommend you get caught up to the current game in 2014.  Head on over and read all the updates, added content, improvements and future content they will be releasing with that small crew .  It's ok you lost your little crusade.  Sorry to break it to you Swtor is doing great and they have made a recovery like no other mmorpg could do.  You living in 2012 won't change that. 

You keep living in 2012, the rest will continue to enjoy this mmorpg.  While you live in 2012 I recommend you get caught up to the current game in 2014.  Head on over and read all the updates, added content, improvements and future content they will be releasing with that small crew .  It's ok you lost your little crusade.  Sorry to break it to you Swtor is doing great and they have made a recovery like no other mmorpg could do.  You living in 2012 won't change that. 

You are a poster child for propaganda. There are no sales numbers or evidence that supports what you claim. I'm sorry, but the constantly merging low pop servers speak against you.

You are a poster child for propaganda. There are no sales numbers or evidence that supports what you claim. I'm sorry, but the constantly merging low pop servers speak against you.

Constantly merging low pop servers?  That's what you are going to go with?  Constantly hmm well I'm sure you have a link to back that up lol.

Swtor generated $139 million in revenue just from the cartel market

swtor is profitable 

Swtor mentioned they had 10 million accounts and 1 million active accounts a month

they have constantly (now this is how you use this word ) added content and updates

Now when I get home I will give you links for all the above because I'm sure your notes from 2012 won't have the correct information.  

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Constantly merging servers? There was one server merge in 2012 ( I think they made in in 2 steps) and then they closed Oceanic servers in  May 2013. I am not aware of any other mergers and actually play this game.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by Fenrir767
    This game is a very serviceable MMORPG just not for some with certain tastes and expectations. It meets and exceeds mine.

The most reasonable post on this page, probably a few pages back too. +1

It's not for me, I've played thru 3 stories and want to like the setting and some features but isn't meeting my expectations. That doesn't mean I hate anyone for playing it and if you enjoy it, great.

To revisit the topic title, I don't think EA and BioWare would ever realistically rebuild the game or pieces of it in way Square Enix or Blizzard did. It would be nice though, there's always room for improvement.

Constantly merging low pop servers?  That's what you are going to go with?  Constantly hmm well I'm sure you have a link to back that up lol.

Swtor generated $139 million in revenue just from the cartel market AN unsourced third party estimate, if that was true, EA would have trumpeteted it like they did when they went FTP. EA hasn't said anything positive in a long time though.

swtor is profitable It is making a profit, after firing almost all the developers and selling off assets. I'd be willing to bet it hasn't made back its 350 million year. Maybe it'll get there eventually.

Swtor mentioned they had 10 million accounts and 1 million active accounts a month Not only are those the wrong numbers, but that was over two years ago. Servers have been merged since then. That was at the height of the FTP release. And it wasn't a million subs. Note they haven't bragged about numbers since then?

they have constantly (now this is how you use this word ) added content and updates Yes, very shallow content that was already half finished in beta. Yet there's a long list of things they say they can't add because they don't have the manpower, including new classes.

75% of the staff?  Show me the numbers.  

Yes they did have a reduction and a push to F2P this is because  well its EA this was all so it could always maintain a profit which it did.  SWTOR never went into the red.

Now he is incorrect it isn't the 3rd most succesful MMO its the SECOND LARGEST WESTNER MMO.  

Last year it made the quivelent of having 1.2 MILLION Subscribers for the entire year.   500k actual subscribers then 140 millon from the cash shop which equats to 777k subscribers for 1 year.

So you claim to have sources that say the population has buckeled well present them

ok wow had to edit after reading your last post

OK it didn't cost 350 million we know this because GTA5 is the most expensive game ever at 265 MILLION  So odds are its around 200 million.   Now it sold 2.2 million copies in its opening week.  So thats 109 million right off the bat.  Then all they needed was around 530k subscribers for 1 year and they already made back more then 200 millon

Which of course we know they had.  

SO yeah they MORE then made the production cost back in the first year

now yes I am sure you will aruge those numbers and say EA doesn't earn all of the boxed sales costs and all that but I used very conservative numbers.  so there is no way they didn't earn the budget back

The numbers he gave of the 10 million accounts 1 million players isn't 2 years old its less then 6 MONTHS old

Oh and they hired back a large poriton of the staff.  It's not as large as it was before launch but no MMO has a staff as big as it does before launch

Swtor generated $139 million in revenue just from the cartel market AN unsourced third party estimate, if that was true, EA would have trumpeteted it like they did when they went FTP. EA hasn't said anything positive in a long time though.

swtor is profitable It is making a profit, after firing almost all the developers and selling off assets. I'd be willing to bet it hasn't made back its 350 million year. Maybe it'll get there eventually.

Swtor mentioned they had 10 million accounts and 1 million active accounts a month Not only are those the wrong numbers, but that was over two years ago. Servers have been merged since then. That was at the height of the FTP release. And it wasn't a million subs. Note they haven't bragged about numbers since then?

they have constantly (now this is how you use this word ) added content and updates Yes, very shallow content that was already half finished in beta. Yet there's a long list of things they say they can't add because they don't have the manpower, including new classes.

Firing all it's developers and selling off assets I am sure you have a link for that right.  Well here is the link that Swtor is profitable no mention of selling off assets.

http://i.massively.joystiq.com/2013/11/20/ea-holds-onto-star-wars-games-license-for-10-years-says-swtor-i/

Wrong the accounts and active players was back in Nov '13

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1396514-SWTOR-has-10million-Casual-Players

Dude you clearly are here to flame.  Everything since Makeb has been worked on since launch.  Please post a link to show anything you have said.  Until you do it's clear what you are and I won't be discussing with you cause people like you when put in their place over and over and look like a fool over and over with their hate, misinformation, lies and living in 2012 tend to resort to reporting those with facts and accurate up to date information.  

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Constantly merging servers? There was one server merge in 2012 ( I think they made in in 2 steps) and then they closed Oceanic servers in  May 2013. I am not aware of any other mergers and actually play this game.

I'm curious about this claim as well seeing as how I also play the game and have been on the same server since 2012. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by ktanner3

I'm curious about this claim as well seeing as how I also play the game and have been on the same server since 2012. 

There were 2 server merges (well 3 if you count Oceanic servers merges to NA servers) bringing 216 servers down to 17-ish now (i cant really be much off ;P ) now,along with firing with >than a half of the SWTOR CORE devs AND MANAGEMENT (pretty much 2/3 fired) and has dumped CORE content of the game - class stories.

It has "success" written all over it *whistle*

Since EA lost money on SWTOR, putting more money into it, yeah, right, its unimaginable.

• DoushiDoushi Member UncommonPosts: 96
    why on earth would they do that for a game that is doing just fine, just because some of you are still butthurt doesnt mean that the game is a failure, shocking isnt it?

mmorpg.com, the 4chan of mmo forums.

• rusrecrusrec Member UncommonPosts: 52

The biggest issue with SWTOR is the inability to truly betray.  The entire story of Star Wars is about betrayal, it seems like that should have been one of the basic building blocks in early development.  At some point your old faction should no longer be willing to work with you and you should have to seek out "grunt work" for your gaining faction until you prove your trust. 

It should also be a sandbox, so many planets and so little options in game.  This would have HUGE appeal to those that got screwed by SWG.  Speaking of SWG bring back creature hunters and traders classes...Smugglers should be able to engage in trade on the black market and work on the fringes of both sides like getting supplies or people from dangerous places and returning them to their owners or takers.  Bounty Hunters should get bounty offers for particular Jedi, if not real players at least NPC version that you have to hunt down by gathering information and tracking, sometimes paying or through intimidation, other times by spying.  Give them tools like spybots that can be sent into range to eavesdrop for info. 

PvP should mimic the movies.  Not vast open areas where you run from patch to patch of activity, but total chaos and danger and destruction all around and you should be in danger of getting killed in crossfire.  The tide of the battle should ebb and flow.  You should be able to join random NPCs that are fighting and assist them in advancing, or delay advancers while they escape.  Larger ships (like destroyers) should warp in and set off public events, some should crash into the planet spawning events to rescue (or kill) survivors.  There's just so much that can still be done from a PvP planet standpoint. 

Theres just so much this game could have been...in the end the entire game was one path predefined and if you didn't like that, tough.  Once you got to the end of the story, you could do the story on the other side and then with the exception of pvp, or gear grinding, you were done.

Originally posted by Droosteel
    Originally posted by ktanner3

There were 2 server merges (well 3 if you count Oceanic servers merges to NA servers) bringing 216 servers down to 17-ish now (i cant really be much off ;P ) now,along with firing with >than a half of the SWTOR CORE devs AND MANAGEMENT (pretty much 2/3 fired) and has dumped CORE content of the game - class stories.

It has "success" written all over it *whistle*

Since EA lost money on SWTOR, putting more money into it, yeah, right, its unimaginable.

wait do you really think they've lost money on SWTOR?   Like seriously?    The game made 140 million on the cartel market alone last year.  That's the equivlent of having 770,000 subs for an entire year.   

If SWTOR is losing money then no MMO except WoW is succesful. 

oh and the servers are what they should have launched with.  The 17 servers now can handle over 10 times what the launch servers can handle. 

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

I don't think any amount of money could or should be spent on fixing this game it has had so many issues and I doubt many players would trust Bioware/EA to even give it a second go. I would still like to see a Star wars MMO think if done write and by competent MMO dev's it could be a great game. And go Sandbox open class's open universe

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by Swids2010

I don't think any amount of money could or should be spent on fixing this game it has had so many issues and I doubt many players would trust Bioware/EA to even give it a second go. I would still like to see a Star wars MMO think if done write and by competent MMO dev's it could be a great game. And go Sandbox open class's open universe

Yeah, its more likely (however unlikely that is) they will make a new game and distance it from SWTOR as much as possible and keep SWTOR alive with minimum funds to try to recoup at least some of the investement.