Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spiritual Successor to EQ1

romanswinterromanswinter Member UncommonPosts: 74

For those of you who had the joy to play the original EQ during its heyday, know and understand those special ingredients that made EQ such a memorable experience for so many people. The immersion, the exploration, the community etc were all pretty special.

Having been playing ESO since 5 day head start, I keep finding myself getting more of those EQ feels than I have ever gotten in any MMO since. 

I think the combination of the slow leveling, the exploration and the fact that you never know what you are going to run into and what kinds of adventures you will find just down that path ahead, the lack of auction house so people have to rely on trade networks and each other for weapons and gear, the limited skills bar, and the group / co-operation play that I have experienced where people get together to overcome something that is just too difficult to do solo and must be done as a group or community. 

Obviously it is not as hardcore as EQ1. There are no corpse runs, leveling is not AS difficult, there is no xp loss on dying, and it is much more solo friendly. That being said, I think ESO is a great balance between what made EQ such a special game, and the modern expectation of what people want in an MMO. 

I think Zenimax did a great job in combining all of these elements to make a really special game. I don't think it will ever have the appeal or numbers of WOW because it is not as casual and cute, but I think this is one of those games that will survive just fine with a subscription model because of its uniqueness and quality.  

Comments

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Closer to a slow boring version of wow than EQ1.
  • MetricaMetrica Member CommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by evilized

But.... WoW is already slow and boring.  

I agree with OP.  ESO hits me right in the EQ feels sometimes.  I only wish there were corpse-runs and no fast travel, that would seal it. 

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

Yeah i'm really trying to hold back on saying

"I'M F'ING HOME!!!"

Way too many times i've been impressed and after a month or two the novelty is over, in this case though... can't remember the last time i spent three nights simply exploring while harvesting, and then crafting. That there says allot.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • CoffeeBreakCoffeeBreak Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Husvik

Yeah i'm really trying to hold back on saying

"I'M F'ING HOME!!!"

Way too many times i've been impressed and after a month or two the novelty is over, in this case though... can't remember the last time i spent three nights simply exploring while harvesting, and then crafting. That there says allot.

Normally, I'm just a power-leveler that runs to the finish-line but since recovering from mmo burnout I've been playing this game pretty slowly.  I'm actually waiting for the novelty to wear off.  Expecting it to hit any minute because I've quit mmo with no warning before.  

I never even want to play when I get home from work.  Between feeling half dead and reading all the nasty hating and trolling(yes, it's my choice, but mmorpg.com forums are my Jersey Shore).  Then I'll be bored around 8PM and login.....and won't log off until an hour past when I should have gone to bed so I wouldn't feel half dead at work the next day.  

Something about the questing style postpones my burnout more than a style like......like Tera for instance.  I really don't mind the questing style(start a kill quest at level 1 and continue with that kill quest over and over and over to level cap).  But that's the kind of thing that can make it hard to login.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by evilized

Make it "slower" and we are fine :)

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Originally posted by romanswinter

For those of you who had the joy to play the original EQ during its heyday, know and understand those special ingredients that made EQ such a memorable experience for so many people. The immersion, the exploration, the community etc were all pretty special.

Having been playing ESO since 5 day head start, I keep finding myself getting more of those EQ feels than I have ever gotten in any MMO since. 

I think the combination of the slow leveling, the exploration and the fact that you never know what you are going to run into and what kinds of adventures you will find just down that path ahead, the lack of auction house so people have to rely on trade networks and each other for weapons and gear, the limited skills bar, and the group / co-operation play that I have experienced where people get together to overcome something that is just too difficult to do solo and must be done as a group or community. 

Obviously it is not as hardcore as EQ1. There are no corpse runs, leveling is not AS difficult, there is no xp loss on dying, and it is much more solo friendly. That being said, I think ESO is a great balance between what made EQ such a special game, and the modern expectation of what people want in an MMO. 

I think Zenimax did a great job in combining all of these elements to make a really special game. I don't think it will ever have the appeal or numbers of WOW because it is not as casual and cute, but I think this is one of those games that will survive just fine with a subscription model because of its uniqueness and quality.  

I have a hard time believing you ever played EQ1 seriously if you think this game compares in any way, shape, or form.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by DMKano

As a 15 year EQ1 vet who still plays EQ1 and Project 99

No.

Hell NO.

Yeah, have to agree with this. I really like ESO and I'm hoping at least the adventure zones will recreate some of that EQ like gameplay at least at end game, but the rest of the game is nothing like EQ. I've been kind of thinking lately...it's sad that what is now a feature used to be the game. A zone dedicated to group content that's not totally raid content...

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• CoffeeBreakCoffeeBreak Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Viper482

I have a hard time believing you ever played EQ1 seriously if you think this game compares in any way, shape, or form.

Though I am enjoying my time in ESO I'd have to agree.  They both have cat people, trees, and stuff but not really similar.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    As a retired EQ1 end-game raider...I can see where you're coming from on this.  There is a lot of the feel of early EQ.  The current EQ1 game is different, of course; EQ1 makes you work pretty hard to cross a zone and still demands either a solid group or a box duo with mercs, for easier content to make much headway - which I really liked.  And ESO doesn't have the soul-crushing EQ1 chase after thousands of AAs (basically, experience gains at the level cap) that EQ1 does, nor does it have the ocean of hotkeys (largely AAs with similar functions.)  These and not having time for endgame raiding are what kept me out of it.
  • kiravelikiraveli Member UncommonPosts: 79

No.

Hell NO.

Completely agree.

I never even thought of EQ while playing this, no resemblance for me. 

• coleman11bcoleman11b Member UncommonPosts: 76

Again with the utterly stupid comparisons. I don't know which comparison is worse. The WOW comparison crowd goes something like this... "This game is just another WOW clone." Nevermind the non-tab targeting combat, the extreme flexibility in class roles, the art style, the completely voiced questing, the deepish crafting system, the three faction pvp, the lack of arena's/bg's, the lack of addon requirements.

This EQ comparison is rather new though. However, it's just as stupid though. There is literally nothing in common between the two games. You are better off comparing ESO to a MMORPG... which is what all the games we're talking about are.

There are two semi-valid comparisons to make to ESO. Guild Wars/Guild Wars 2... and DAOC. Those comparisons should be used sparingly though. Now that I think of it, that's three comparisons.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

No.

Hell NO.

I spit my drink over my keyboard when I saw this topic then saw ESO as the subforum.

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621

No.

Hell NO.

Ive played off and on for 15 years, also played project 99 for a bit. And i 100 percent agree with you. ESO is not even close.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Utinni

No.

Hell NO.

I spit my drink over my keyboard when I saw this topic then saw ESO as the subforum.

I don't know what year i started playing EQ1, but it was a hell of a long time ago, but i don't see how the guy managed to fit the 2 games in the same sentence let alone say it is the spiritual successor to EQ1,

i'll go with the 'Hell no' answer... expletives deleted image

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392

My question is:

Why does it have to compare to anything?

ESO is what it is.  I'm not hating on the OP or the game. I just wish people would play it or not and go on.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

No.

Hell NO.

This. I still play EQ1, Currently raiding CoTF content.

Not even close.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• Ashpian52Ashpian52 Member Posts: 1

Are you crazy?  I don't ever post on this forum but I had to put my 2 cents in on this.  ESO is nothing like EQ1 in any way, shape, or form.  That comment is borderline offensive.  Take EQ1, remove just about everything, and make it so you only fight human type mobs and maybe it would be close.

Ugh

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by kiraveli

No.

Hell NO.

Completely agree.

I never even thought of EQ while playing this, no resemblance for me. 

I have no idea what OP is talking about.  There is literally nothing in common between the two games other than no auction house at launch and you get levels, the comparisons end there.

ESO is a quest grinder with very little freedom.  Can I kill my own faction guards and then be forced to move to the sewers to live?  Are there rare spawns and unique items to the type of mobs that drop them?  ESO is the same old boring universal loot table with a few bosses dropping something with their name on it once in a while.  There is no feeling of open world danger in ESO.  Very little feeling of exploration as everything is there as part of quest or there to encourage you to quest.

I almost think OP is trolling as it is borderline offensive to compare the two games.  I'm almost speechless, definitely one of the most perplexing posts I've seen on these forums, ever.

• johnangeljohnangel Member Posts: 15

No! ESO is obviously the spiritual successor of day of the tentacle.

I mean how can you not see the glaring similaritie that

first_$ :  Both are games !!!!1!

second_) : There are tentacles in both games !11!!!1!1

Come on people how can you be so blind!!!111!1!1

Originally posted by johnangel

No! ESO is obviously the spiritual successor of day of the tentacle.

I mean how can you not see the glaring similaritie that

first_$ :  Both are games !!!!1!

second_) : There are tentacles in both games !11!!!1!1

Come on people how can you be so blind!!!111!1!1

Hahaha This ^^

Or Monkey Island, Atlantis, Broken Sword, Myst etc...Good old days :)

• romanswinterromanswinter Member UncommonPosts: 74

OK, so obviously a lot of people disagree with me, and some have even found offense to what I am saying. I stand by my statement as that is how I feel. However, it seems that some have taken what I said out of context. Please remember that I did say: 

" Obviously it is not as hardcore as EQ1. There are no corpse runs, leveling is not AS difficult, there is no xp loss on dying, and it is much more solo friendly. That being said, I think ESO is a great balance between what made EQ such a special game, and the modern expectation of what people want in an MMO. "

Clearly I made a point to demonstrate that it was mix between some of the really unique aspects of EQ1, with what people expect (conveniences) of modern MMOs. 

Furthermore, I can assure you I played EQ1. I started when Kunark came out and played up through Ykesha. I also played Vanguard - the self proclaimed follow up to EQ1 and I can tell you that game never gave me the same kind of vice that ESO has in terms of EQ1. 

Anyhow, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I suppose it can really come down to how you play the game. I have always played slow and enjoyed the ride, as I did in EQ; and that same style of play in ESO is providing me the same kind of enjoyment I got from EQ1. I had hoped maybe there were others who felt the same; but obviously I am in the extreme minority. 

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Not even close.

OK, so obviously a lot of people disagree with me, and some have even found offense to what I am saying. I stand by my statement as that is how I feel. However, it seems that some have taken what I said out of context. Please remember that I did say: 

" Obviously it is not as hardcore as EQ1. There are no corpse runs, leveling is not AS difficult, there is no xp loss on dying, and it is much more solo friendly. That being said, I think ESO is a great balance between what made EQ such a special game, and the modern expectation of what people want in an MMO. "

Clearly I made a point to demonstrate that it was mix between some of the really unique aspects of EQ1, with what people expect (conveniences) of modern MMOs. 

Furthermore, I can assure you I played EQ1. I started when Kunark came out and played up through Ykesha. I also played Vanguard - the self proclaimed follow up to EQ1 and I can tell you that game never gave me the same kind of vice that ESO has in terms of EQ1. 

Anyhow, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I suppose it can really come down to how you play the game. I have always played slow and enjoyed the ride, as I did in EQ; and that same style of play in ESO is providing me the same kind of enjoyment I got from EQ1. I had hoped maybe there were others who felt the same; but obviously I am in the extreme minority. 

You mean the luck of Auction House, Nameplates, Need/Greed, Party tools, UI etc?

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

I'm afraid as an EQ1 vet I can't say I feel the same vibe your getting, if I was then I would be an very happy bunny, as it is I have already found it easier to play something else than log back into the world, when I played EQ1 I was counting down the seconds before I could log back in.

But each to their own and I'm happy that you have found your Nirvana, I'm still looking =).

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I really have to disagree with the OP completley , ESO is like the polar opposite of EQ1 to me , but maybe because EQ1 was surprising new world , and ESO is well , after putting in so many hours of Elder Scrolls game all the way back to Daggerfall just very predictable and familiar in many ways.. Which tends to make this online version feel boring with its many shortcomings as an Elder Scrolls game and as an MMO..