Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen: The Post-Kickstarter Campaign

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

I’ve made it no secret that to me, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes represents some of the best raw potential that MMOs have to offer, even if the game’s initial execution left a lot to be desired.  That’s why I’ve been excited by Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, the new MMORPG in development from Visionary Realms (VR), whose pedigree features the minds that brought us EverQuest 1 & 2, Vanguard, PlanetSide 1 & 2, Star Wars: Galaxies, and a whole lot more.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's Pantheon: The Post-KickStarter Campaign.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Not a nickel until he has a working product that doesn't crash every 14 seconds, and he can go several Christmases in a row without running out on his people and letting someone else sever their employment int he company parking lot

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

I hate to say this, but having 15 years experience making MMOs doesn't bode well for making a "new" game.  The genre is entrenched in "bad habits" and at this juncture, the best cure is to abandon everything that has been done before and start entirely new... essentially create a new genre altogether.  

15 years experience creating Pong just means you're good at recreating Pong... people are bored with Pong.  Why would I want to play Pong?  There are 15 years of Pong games out there.  We're all leaving new Pong games in droves.  Why?  Because it's Pong.  Been there, so done that.  Stop making Pong.  Unless your true intention is to sell Pong to us over and over again just repackaged.  Sure we all go try out the new Pongs, hoping that it will rekindle our past love of Pong, but the reality is, we'd probably hate the old Pong we loved if it were released today... why?  Because we have all played Pong to death.  Time for Pong to die.  

This is why new blood is far more valuable than all the veterans in the gaming industry.  If the new blood doesn't mimic what the veterans are doing, real change and innovation occurs.  Doing it the way things have always been done or "going back to our roots" is delivering us what we already have, Pong.  We don't want Pong.  Nobody seems to get that, even the consumers.  We are as much to blame for this endless cycle of Pong as the developers are.

Pong had it's day... time to move on.  The developers of Pong did, why can't MMO developers take the same hint?

• DeathtognomesDeathtognomes Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Well, they stopped production, no specific reason why only to say that they will be maintaining the website.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.  The likelihood of anyone investing in this product after the KS demonstrably showed a lack of interest is slim to none.  I'm sorry for those interested in the project but there's not enough people like yourselves out there.  Times change, games change, and we all need to move on.

Steam: Neph

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by Skibo12
    Well, they stopped production, no specific reason why only to say that they will be maintaining the website.

They specifically stated they ran out of initial funding.  So basically they're broke.

Steam: Neph

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    It's like being broke has come as a complete shock to them, I don't understand. They have no investors and the kickstarter failed. What did they expect when they decided to continue production? Did Brad think experienced programmers were gonna go pro bono for 3+ years?
  • saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Maybe they can go on Shark Tank!

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Pantheon: Fall of the Risen?
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Isn't it worse for a game to have " so much raw potential " and never reach it, than to just suck right out of the game. A bad game means they just didn't have the talent to make something good. Not really much you can do with that.

Who do you blame when a game has tons of talent and the potential is all there but year after year it's never realized.... The answer is easy....the guy in charge. He had all the talent he needed to make a great game but in the end the guy making the decisions couldn't make the right ones and guide the game to be what it could be.

The sob stories about funding and what not don't change the fact that a great game was all there for the taking, it just never  had the right hands steering the ship.

• sominatorsominator Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by saxifr
    Maybe they can go on Shark Tank!

I love that show!

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    With all of the people on these forums chairing for a game like this how can it not get made, oh wait they are the vocal minority, MMORPGs have beyond the archaic design of EQ1 now they need to move beyond Themeparks until that happens the industry won't advance or change. We need innovation not stagnation....
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Wow is this article ever out of date.

A recent utube video with boogie and Brad has Brad saying all work on Pantheon has halted.(Not slowed) They have no money to pay the team or continue development and money that has already been pledged by people currently is just going to maintaining the website in hopes that someone is stupid enough to drop millions of dollars on a MMO that apparently from KS has enough interest to start with about a 5-10k player base.

Seriously a follow up this article with updated factual information should be done.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.  The likelihood of anyone investing in this product after the KS demonstrably showed a lack of interest is slim to none.  I'm sorry for those interested in the project but there's not enough people like yourselves out there.  Times change, games change, and we all need to move on.

I'm sorry for the players who thought their pledged money was going to making a game instead of just keeping a website up and running. Still I guess for them this is a important life lesson.

• sominatorsominator Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by winter

Wow is this article ever out of date.

A recent utube video with boogie and Brad has Brad saying all work on Pantheon has halted.(Not slowed) They have no money to pay the team or continue development and money that has already been pledged by people currently is just going to maintaining the website in hopes that someone is stupid enough to drop millions of dollars on a MMO that apparently from KS has enough interest to start with about a 5-10k player base.

Seriously a follow up this article with updated factual information should be done.

I spoke with Brad on Friday. ;)

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

"Brad believes that the genre would be better served by a variety of smaller, more focused games than big blockbusters attempting to appeal to all types of gamers.  In that vein, Pantheon is intended to be specialized for a core audience that enjoys challenging, team-based adventuring"

I am really not sure what is meant by this. To me this genre has moved from attempting to appeal to all type of gamers instead most MMO's seem to focus only at the combat hack/slash oriented players.

Regardless he talked about this "virtual world" all I read was that the game would be very similar to what most themepark game offer at end game. 

• pox67pox67 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

I'm sorry for the players who thought their pledged money was going to making a game instead of just keeping a website up and running. Still I guess for them this is a important life lesson.

The Kickstarter was never funded so none of the pledge money was taken.

I backed it just so we could have a proper train wreck over the next 3 or 4 years. The amount of drama would have been totally worth it!

• HytekHytek Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Awkward article taking yesterday's news into account. Reading the title I thought this was going to be about how the post-Kickstarter campaign was/had (also) been (mis)handled, maybe some numbers, and a final word putting this debacle to rest. I fail to see the point of ending the article by encouraging to pledge money to the cause as Brad already clearly stated the money would not go into any development.

I have found in my lifetime, that the beauty of hating stupid people is, that it crosses all racial boundaries.

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272

The whole kickstarter was rushed. The believed a "Hey, I am Brad McQuaid" would pay their bills and get tons of money with a KS, as did other games before. But those other games have been prepared. They offered a well managed project, not just a dream of some genre veterans. As they moved to the website, I wondered, if Brad has learned something from the comments and the failure of the KS, but it seems not. Did he even read them?

Now, a "Hey, I am Brad McQuaid" will alarm me to never invest something in a project, where he is in charge. Nothing wrong with his visions and ideas but he seems to know nothing about managing projects and people.

As for this article: there is nothing new on Pantheon in it. After all those weeks, where is the point of the article? Showing, he did not get it running? Generating some posts like mine? Or did Brad hope, after another article with his name in it, some people would offer more money? ;)

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by goemoe

The whole kickstarter was rushed. The believed a "Hey, I am Brad McQuaid" would pay their bills and get tons of money with a KS, as did other games before. But those other games have been prepared. They offered a well managed project, not just a dream of some genre veterans. As they moved to the website, I wondered, if Brad has learned something from the comments and the failure of the KS, but it seems not. Did he even read them?

Now, a "Hey, I am Brad McQuaid" will alarm me to never invest something in a project, where he is in charge. Nothing wrong with his visions and ideas but he seems to know nothing about managing projects and people.

As for this article: there is nothing new on Pantheon in it. After all those weeks, where is the point of the article? Showing, he did not get it running? Generating some posts like mine? Or did Brad hope, after another article with his name in it, some people would offer more money? ;)

I don't think you need to worry. Seems unlikely that there will be another Brad McQaid game.

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

I'm still suprised it only generated 5 to 10k backers, when there were half a million on Everquest 1. However, I guess no one wants a challenging game anymore, they are all just used to boring solo grinders... 

Shame though, or were half a million people really that scared of Brad Mcquaid?

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Since Soe cancelled and is shutting down Vanguard on July 31st, it makes perfect sense to develope this game, unfortunately no one has any faith in Brad or desires this game anymore, so I guess all the Vanguard players will move on to TESO or single player console games. 
  • Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233

Wow, alot of naysayers. I for one do not like the 'new' games that have come out in the last few years. SWTOR, FF312?, Rift etc. I could go on but I'm to ashamed. I'm not looking for a 'new' system designed for those who want instant pixels and 'hardcore' pvp. I liked Vanguard alot though it's bugs forced me to move on. 

I like large, difficult games where crafting is not obsolete and each encounter isn't won by just mashing buttons, rinse, repeat. Or any group makeup will suffice and any one toon can retool to be whatever is needed. There is no tactic or strategy or identity, there is just go hear, collect this, give that and finally kill this then get this thing that everyone else has. Or something like it if I PVP or Raid. 

Reinventing the 'mold' has not been the answer. If it were than these newer games would be as big as WoW was. (though I never could bring myself to play it)

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Stone_Fountain

Wow, alot of naysayers. I for one do not like the 'new' games that have come out in the last few years. SWTOR, FF312?, Rift etc. I could go on but I'm to ashamed. I'm not looking for a 'new' system designed for those who want instant pixels and 'hardcore' pvp. I liked Vanguard alot though it's bugs forced me to move on. 

I like large, difficult games where crafting is not obsolete and each encounter isn't won by just mashing buttons, rinse, repeat. Or any group makeup will suffice and any one toon can retool to be whatever is needed. There is no tactic or strategy or identity, there is just go hear, collect this, give that and finally kill this then get this thing that everyone else has. Or something like it if I PVP or Raid. 

Reinventing the 'mold' has not been the answer. If it were than these newer games would be as big as WoW was. (though I never could bring myself to play it)

Well, some of what you say is true. But Pantheon was not the game you were looking for. It had very little to offer. The problem is that we've played EQ and Vanguard and have moved on. I wanted to see an evolution of these games, not just sexed up graphics.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Stone_Fountain

I agree with a lot of this.  I had a brand new computer when VG came out, so the glitches and bugs didn't hit me hard, like it did a lot of people, so I really enjoyed VG, but most people didn't have brand new gaming pcs that were 1 week old when it came out and it was a deal breaker for them.  I probably would of been more jaded about VG, if I would of been in their shoes.

I hope it gets picked up,  and they can maintain their vision, and not make a 'modern' mmo that is basically a lobby game.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Right......... can we see that Demo they are talking about? Maybe that would help rise more money.......... or is it just BS?