Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Gamer 68/100

Comments

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by Volgore
    In before "review is irrelevant" and "author is a hater".

I suppose the developers in the Future In Online Games panel at Pax East recently are haters of ESO as well as they took some polite but critical views of ESO as well, never understood rabid defenders of a game you figure if they loved playing the game so much and praise at its feet they wouldnt be here to call everyone a hater even when the criticism of a game is valid, objective, and impartial

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Kept trying to download the client and it told me to redownload it. At 1102 Gigs worth of data later I gave up trying hense my experience with ESO.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

The review makes sense.

- Bag space. Crafting is important in eso, but there is limited bag space which is quite expensive. Its not a f2p game with a cash shop, so why make the p2p player feel like they need to pay real money to get extra bag space.

- Expensive mounts. If a person is a crafter as they have to be then they make less money and also as a result cant get a mount any time soon which also affects pvp and over all prgoression.

- PvP - Laggy animations that do not flow as well as they should. Very basic structure for sieges lacking micro systems to reward small groups or even large groups in pvp. Resource - such as lumber mills etc are not really concequential as they should be. Could have caravans ot transport goods to sieged castles.

- Bugged quests. Main quest among others.

- Crafting - Its quite important, and there is a lack of emphasis on how important this is in ESO compared to other mmos.

- Animations - very simple - average. However the game runs decenetly well, even in cryodiil, but laggy actions.

-World -MMO is segregated to zones that does not allow for open world pvp in PVE zones. 

-Class Balance - AoE builds shine to well in this game, among other issues.

- Early cost of customization - affects experimentation and discovering classes

-Limited features of end game -

no card game,

no gambling,

no duels,

no bounty system,

boss mechanics are simple (over complicated with laggy actions and unbalanced with no regard to making boss mechanics important but rather builds to survive basic attacks - pigeon holing builds),

lack of guild features,

no AH (instead made it so a few guild leaders (trade guilds) steal/take a cut from their freinds without adding any benefit to their lives in game),

slow lvling game (emphasis on story, but affects customization and alting),

not a multi class system (just a class with different weapons).

no player housing

no mounted combat

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• DoushiDoushi Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Do I have to stop playing the game now because some site on internet thinks the game is only above avarage?

mmorpg.com, the 4chan of mmo forums.

• SadSwordfishSadSwordfish Member CommonPosts: 78
    I wouldn't advise people to pay attention to reviews. Your opinions should be based on your own experiences. "professional reviewers" are just people and enjoyment are subjective. 
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

If you've bought the game then the review is irrelevant, this is for people who're on the fence and want to read up on what issues the game might have and what it does offer.

Stop moaning, I think it is a fair review and I agree with a lot of it, none of my friends are playing and they're all Elder Scrolls fans, I'm an Elder Scrolls fan and I'm not playing... it says a lot about the game. I'm an MMO fan too well I was many years back before we had so many years of complete shit being released) and this game doesn't appeal to me, at no point does it make it easy to group or encourage you, to me a good MMO is about grouping, sadly TESO is a solo game with boring standard MMO quests.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by mindw0rk
    Pretty accurate review. And gave me few laughs at fanboys commenting there

Strange , this post gave me a good laugh , the review is only accurate to the person that reviewed it , its not rocket science is it ?

An please quit with the " fanboys " comments , its so last year ;)

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    You're not playing the game.  Your opinions on how things like grouping mechanics work are strictly second hand.
  • summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by Doushi
    Do I have to stop playing the game now because some site on internet thinks the game is only above avarage?

Yes ! / cue Booming Voice ...  " The Great PC Gamer has spoken ! " ... lol

• OzimandeusOzimandeus Member UncommonPosts: 84

Dreadful review.

I was reading his 'WIP' pieces and he just didn't 'get it' - he seemed to expect 'Elder Scrolls VI (Online)'.  He didn't explore outside of Daggerfall Covenant areas; didnt max out level; didn't do PVP (or if he did he didn't talk about it much).

Its a bad review from a game reviewer who didn't want to review the game in the first place. Even Ripper X was more balanced and he is INSANE!

I've canceled my subscription to PC Gamer as a result.

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Originally posted by gonewild

Looks like  this game has more haters than allies then.

What does this tell you ah?

ESO does have an abnormal amount of hating going on. I've been around a long time and I don't recall seeing this level of hate.

There's a lot of people unhappy with the game.  Those that are happy with it don't want to see its flaws and try to minimize its detractors by labeling them haters.   A healthy, progressing, vibrant game requires an adversarial relationship between the players and the developers with players demanding the impossible and developers delivering the essential all driven by players desire for enjoyment and the developers desire to make money (gasp!).   The more you minimize haters the more stagnant, boring, and repetitive a game gets.  God bless the haters, the truth seekers, those who see the emperor has no clothes and pull back the curtain to expose the man behind it.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by Ozimandeus

didn't do PVP (or if he did he didn't talk about it much).

They actually wrote four or five paragraphs on PVP.

He or she claimed it was the high point of the game saying "Overall, though, it's the game's best feature."

• BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321

Hater? Why cause he doesn't think the game is amazing or as awesome as you do? The person who wrote the article sounds like he's played the other Elder Scrolls games and enjoyed them in the past, he just doesn't care for this one and he made some interesting points. And the article didn't say the game was all bad and even that PVP was it's high point and good.. so ya.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Intersting review. He has his opinion, i have mine. Im loving it! lol

But, i rate it at 8/10. The bugs and the game lag are killing me. I can get around every bug by re-logging. The game lag, not so much. Yes, there is game lag. Mainly at guild banks, and many times in actual game. I hate it when you get locked in no skills mode too. Skills just wont work.

PvP is awesome tho. Not a great PvPer, but im loving it.

Eek, this is begining to sound like a review, of a review!!

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by Incomparable

The review makes sense.

- Bag space. Crafting is important in eso, but there is limited bag space which is quite expensive. Its not a f2p game with a cash shop, so why make the p2p player feel like they need to pay real money to get extra bag space.

- Expensive mounts. If a person is a crafter as they have to be then they make less money and also as a result cant get a mount any time soon which also affects pvp and over all prgoression.

- PvP - Laggy animations that do not flow as well as they should. Very basic structure for sieges lacking micro systems to reward small groups or even large groups in pvp. Resource - such as lumber mills etc are not really concequential as they should be. Could have caravans ot transport goods to sieged castles.

- Crafting - Its quite important, and there is a lack of emphasis on how important this is in ESO compared to other mmos.

- Animations - very simple - average. However the game runs decenetly well, even in cryodiil, but laggy actions.

-World -MMO is segregated to zones that does not allow for open world pvp in PVE zones. 

no card game,

no gambling,

no duels,

no bounty system,

boss mechanics are simple (over complicated with laggy actions and unbalanced with no regard to making boss mechanics important but rather builds to survive basic attacks - pigeon holing builds),

lack of guild features,

no AH (instead made it so a few guild leaders (trade guilds) steal/take a cut from their freinds without adding any benefit to their lives in game),

no player housing

no mounted combat

-AH fees do not go to the guild leaders.  They are a gold sink.

-there isn't a multi class system but the system is multi-role.  The weapon skills define the role.

-No open world gank fest PvP is a good think imo.  The PvP it does have is some of the best I've played.

-No card game, no gambling?  ok.........there is no Tetris, Pokémon, or Tic Tac Toe either.

-Bugged quests, yes there are some bugged quests.  There is a lot less now than a few days ago.  This trend will continue.

-Expensive mounts.  Having long term goals in a game is bad I guess.

-I love the animations and the graphics.  I have no lag at all.  The zones are some of the best looking I've seen. 

-You can't buy bag space with real money.  You buy bag space with in game money.  At level 28 I've expanded my bank and my bag several times, learned what I need to keep and what I don't, and really don't have problems with inventory.  It's a limitation when you're new but opens up later. 

-No player housing is expected in a new launch.  FFXIV still only has guild housing.

-Slow leveling - thank God!  I'm tired of new games making the leveling process nothing but a tutorial for end game.  I'm actually enjoying the leveling process.  The quests are interesting, the public dungeons are a blast, the instanced dungeons are challenging, and the dark anchors are a lot of fun.  If you're not enjoying the content, why play the game?

Sounds like you just don't like this type of game.  There are many games that offer instant max level characters and others that offer open world gank PvP.  You should try them.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Ok, I'll play Devil's advocate here:

The review makes sense.

Bag space and inventory management has always been a staple of Elder Scrolls games. In fact, I'd say that they actually went a little easier on people with this one and settled on something a little more middle-of-the-road. In other Elder Scrolls games, it was weight based, so you couldn't stack materials as easily as you can in ESO. So it's actually quite a bit better than your traditional ES game. Plus, you can buy bag upgrades, mounts (which can have a carrying capacity), etc., etc. Making money in ESO is VERY easy if you get in with a good trading guild. If you choose to play solo, then you're going to have more trouble, yes. 

As a crafter, you shouldn't be making less money. If you are, then you're doing it wrong. I'm interested in knowing how people make more money not being a crafter? As far as the price for mounts, if people complain about this, then they have never experienced an MMO in my opinion. I remember when having one mount in WoW was a status symbol. It wasn't a given that people had a mount. Now I think I'm approaching 70 or 80 mounts!!! People are always complaining that MMOs are getting too easy, well this makes it a little more difficult, not even that much, but a little. We shouldn't be given every little thing. Why do you want that? When people complain about this, I think it shows their age. 

Meh, ok, sure, PvP isn't perfect, but I don't think anyone ever expected it to be. It is large scale as advertised, though. Too often we talk about things it doesn't have over things that it does have that others don't. 

Yeah, it's there. There are issues. Actually had my first phasing issue the other day. It's these types of polish items that I would be more critical of. 

I don't think that there is a lack of emphasis at all. It's been said time and time again that crafting will be an integral part of the game. Again, the problem here is precedent. When we've played other MMOs, crafting is a very simple process which provides limited advantages. There are actually some professions in games like WoW which provide almost no value, at all. This is a massive problem, it's pandemic in MMOs right now. Crafting is completely disjointed from the game itself. It serves only as a footnote.

I would agree, animations aren't amazing.

Why does this make sense? In general, borders are protected. So it isn't the expectation that there would be enemies behind your lines. It happens, and we fight them in PvE. This does leave open the possibility for PvP invasions, etc., in the future, but I don't know that this is necessary, really. I the PvP provided not satisfying? 

Said every MMO ever. Class Balance should never make it into a review of a game. Not even for a game burned onto a disc! Maybe if we're talking about NES or something, but games these days (even those on disc) are updated. I would much rather see options for choice (ie 5 million plus possible builds) over fewer cattle chute builds that make it easier to balance. 

Again, this game isn't for the silver platter kiddies. Your choices actually do have consequences. For some people, this cost is minimal, for others it's massive. It depends on whether you've figured out how to make money in the game yet. 

no card game,

Really? Are we talking in-game card game or physical TCG? Either way, Really? 

no gambling,

Really? Maybe they'll put in Chocobo Races in a later build.

no duels,

Agreed.

no bounty system,

There also isn't a waitress system to get me a drink when I get thirsty while playing. When I hear limited features, I expect missing core, expected features. A Bounty System? Really? I could MAYBE name one or two, OHHHHHHHHH, You're one of those SWG diehards, right?

Mechanics can be simple, I agree, but if you're not speced correctly, they can be really difficult, too. I don't think it pigeon holes your builds, but you definitely need to be well balanced with your build. 

lack of guild features,

Agreed, I was a little disappointed, but they introduced some cool things too.

Wow, you must be in a really horrible guild. Either way, this is how it works sometimes, too. See Unions and Forbes for more info.

Again, this is the silver-platter kids talking. If you'd ever played a difficult MMO in your life, this wouldn't be an issue. Also, first level 50 was in less than 24 hours, so maybe you're just doing it wrong. I know I must be, but I don't really care about the leveling. Overall the Progression feels smooth.

Nope, and not many of those out there, TBH. It really wasn't an expectation, and shouldn't be an expectation. If you're a warrior, why the hell would you be a mage too? To that end, you can create a battlemage in ESO if you really wanted. Mage in Heavy armour, yeah! 

no player housing

Again, SWG players of the world unite! A game without player housing is a game lost! 

no mounted combat

Is mounted combat an expectation? Wow, do that and I'm sure we're REALLY hear people bitching about mount prices, etc. What about if they let your mount die!!!!!!! OMFG, that would be classic. This is a damned if you do, damned if you don't item IMO.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

The review makes sense.

no card game,

no gambling,

no duels,

no bounty system,

lack of guild features,

no player housing

no mounted combat

Though some of your criticisms are valid, some are just "wanting a different game".

I"m not sure why you think the game needs to hold your hand and let you know that crafted goods are important. Not everyone should be doing crafting (especially if they hate it) and can use their head and find guild members to make their stuff or join a crafting/merchant guild.

This isn't an open ffa pvp game. Enough said.

no card game or gambling? what the heck? Are you a WoW player and you want this to be WoW 2.0?

No duels. neither here nor there, just preference.

No AH. There is an Auction house, it's a guild Auction House. Other than that people are actually trading face to face and it's refreshing.

Slow leveling? good.

not a multi class sytem? This isn't rift and you can add any weapon skills that you want. Armor as well. no need for it to be a multi-class system. So again, you just want this to be a different game.

No player housing. A lot of games never have it or get it much later so jury is still out on that one.

No mounted combat. Many games don't have mounted combat.

Things like bugs, animations, not being able to succeed in making the game they intened; those are valid criticisms. Wanting this to be another game is not.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    I would have gone low 60's so the reviewer is more generous than me.

50% into veteran rank 3 so I have spent some time with the game, if you can imagine.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Well, I'm playing the game and enjoying it, and probably would only rate it around a 7.5 at best, but then I've only played 23 levels and done almost no PVP.

So I'll hold off for now and say the OP made some valid points, in other cases the fact that it isn't the single player ES game he wanted really bled through into his review.

I will agree, plenty of room for improvement, and it's not a bad game if it doesn't get a 9/10.  (no MMORPG has ever reached 9/10 status, ever, on my grading scale)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by tixylix

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/the-elder-scrolls-online-review/

It is, nonetheless, the exception. My enthusiasm for The Elder Scrolls Online's competitive side doesn't stack up against the time I have spent feeling drained by drab questing or restricted by a world ensconced in fog. This is an MMORPG of moderate scope with a few good ideas and the resources invested in it seem sufficient to expect new dungeons, daily quests and armour sets to collect at a decent clip for the next couple of months. If you're tired of your current fantasy haunt and looking for somewhere to transfer your guild, this game may suit you for a time. For everyone else, though, I'd advise caution. There's no game that I'd be happy recommending on the basis that it's at best 'okay' for thirty-plus hours. 'Okay' isn't good enough when you're facing down this much of a premium, and I can't imagine paying a monthly fee to visit somewhere I've been many times before.

Spot on, you covered both side of perspectives. Good review, should start your own gaming review.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Regardless of what score you think ESO deserves, I find it hard to take MMO reviews seriously from a publication that thinks Wildstar is going to be one of the best games of the year.  PC Gamer has given the impression over time that it's staff collectively arrived at a negative impression of ESO months before it released.  Personally, I think it probably does the best job of being a good RPG of any MMORPG that has ever released.  Different strokes.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Purutzil

I mean PC Gamer isn't the biggest name out there, but I'm surprised they weren't paid to give a better review...

yeah PC gamer is a local site for british readers living on Welsh ...

anyway they typed "For everyone else, though, I'd advise caution."  i suppose MMORPG.com will block this poor site cause of their trolling :p

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    PC Gamer still exists? Who knew

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Regardless of what score you think ESO deserves, I find it hard to take MMO reviews seriously from a publication that thinks Wildstar is going to be one of the best games of the year.  PC Gamer has given the impression over time that it's staff collectively arrived at a negative impression of ESO months before it released.  Personally, I think it probably does the best job of being a good RPG of any MMORPG that has ever released.  Different strokes.

QFT. The review was way too biased to me, as if the writer was desperate to rush through it so he could wait for his beloved Wildstar.  -_- I am currently level 13 and I honestly haven't had this much fun since vanilla WoW. Storyline and lore is really important to me so Guild Wars 2 failed to interest me quick. Its is definately not ground-breaking but has gotten crapped on far more then it deserves. 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Chaoticwake

Hater? Why cause he doesn't think the game is amazing or as awesome as you do? The person who wrote the article sounds like he's played the other Elder Scrolls games and enjoyed them in the past, he just doesn't care for this one and he made some interesting points. And the article didn't say the game was all bad and even that PVP was it's high point and good.. so ya.

Whoooosh!

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor