Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar.. Are you going to miss the Bandwagon

Comments

• MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152

"Reading different opinions on Wilstar, its so clearly apparent that the consensus is definitely split.. You either love it.. Or you hate it."

Take out Wildstar and replace it with ESO, WoW, or any other MMo, and the same is true.

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I don't love or hate Wildstar but i will be skipping it.

I like the humor, housing, and focus on large scale endgame.

I really couldn't find a class i enjoyed though so that turned me off to the entire game.

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Krimzin

Reading different opinions on Wilstar, its so clearly apparent that the consensus is definitely split.. You either love it.. Or you hate it.
    I haven't seen to many fence sitters, or at least not many that are posting.

I will be honest.
    When I first got to play the WS beta, on a friends account.. Meh..Did not like it at all. Played 30 min and uninstalled it. To Cartoony for me, plus I got to play TESO beta and loved it.
    Then a strange thing happened. After playing the TESO Beta for many many hours, I realized I honestly just didn't like the style of game that it was. Dont get me wrong, there are some incredible things about TESO, but it wasn't "My Style", so I uninstalled it.
    This left me with a quandary. What do now.

So I went back to Wildstar. Since I didn't have a whole lot of options, I figured I would give it til level 10 and then decide.
    After playing Wildstar I realized it was what I had been looking for. A Game that has both PvE and PvP content, Solid Crafting, and even some things I hadnt seen before..

I was hooked.

Now as Im having withdrawals and reading anything I can find on Wildstar, one thing is apparent.

Wilstar will be one of the most complete MMOs to release in many many years.. If not since WoW.

I was reading an article today from Pax East and it made me giddy. Here is just a simple statement that made the game that much better for me.

Artifacts
    So you have epic (purple) and legendary (orange) items, but there's also "epics" -- aka pinks. Artifacts are the best of the best. Each class has two types of artifact weapons, one for assault and one for support. Everybody has the ability to earn their artifact weapon assuming they are able to participate in the most difficult content in WildStar. Artifact items have really, really good stats, but if you want to unlock the full potential of these items you are going to have to do some "really crazy" stuff. For example, one artifact quest will require you to kill two 40-person bosses at one time

I mean seriously, how much fun does that sound like.. You have to kill 2 40 man raid bosses at a time to get your artifact weapon. That sounds like its going to be a blast.

Now the question remains.

Are you going to be on the Bandwagon from launch?

Or

Are you going to be one of those who is behind the curve because you waited til you hear from everyone how epic the game is?

The Choice is Yours.

Artifacts just sound like a version of FFXIV relics (the only difference is it doesn't have 40 man raids).

As for the game itself, I played it in beta but it didn't grab me. I don't hate it like some, but I don't see myself playing it unless it was free.  I had fun while playing it, but didnt feel that rush of excitement to get back to it once i logged off like i do with some other games. 

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Sounds to me like OP is incapable of seeing past the "newness" enjoyment factor.  Any MMO is going to be a reasonable amount of fun while its all fresh and exciting.  But you should trust your instincts.  I guarantee this is going to be something you quit playing in 2-3 months, and thats being generous.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Maybe you'd have a leg to stand on with your argument if raiders weren't handed gear that lets them trivialize both solo and regular group content and in some games the entire PvP arena to boot.  They also for the most part, get the best looking gear, the fastest mounts, bank accounts with gold deposits that would satisfy a small country, coolest pets...etc.  Maybe it's time for the genre to let other play styles shine at end game or at least get equal treatment.  These other play styles are not only as legitimate as raiding, they are far more popular.

They redesigned the PVP gear so we have to wait till next week to see what they look like unless there is a post showing it off already.  Also, they changed the values on PVP gear so that PVP offense and defense will greatly affect your pvp gameplay.  We will have to test to see how viable the raid gear is compared to the new pvp gear.  As it is right now though.. I agree.. the raid gear trumps the pvp gear.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Now the question remains.

Are you going to be on the Bandwagon from launch?

Or

Are you going to be one of those who is behind the curve because you waited til you hear from everyone how epic the game is?

The Choice is Yours.

Eh, the game can be out for a year and a new player will be like 3 weeks behind the curve no matter what. 

I was probably the opposite of your case;

I was in beta for both games. Really looking forward to Wildstar because I was bored and everyone I knew wanted to play it at launch. Wasn't really into ESO at all as the combat system and controls annoyed me. Around lvl 11 or 12 I realized that I could not stomach Wildstar. Something about the game just made me feel ill. Not sure if it was all the colors or the annoying watermark, but I just couldn't play without getting a headache. The story wasn't that great either - it just tried to hard to be campy yet cool.

Ended up giving ESO beta another try and realized I liked it more than I thought.

And hell, If sometime down the road I decide to give WS another shot I know it won't be too much effort to get caught up to the rest of the cool kids. No MMO released in the last few years is that hard to catch up in...

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I'll be dead honest, I can't get past the art style. It reminds me too much like WoW and if I wanted to play WoW I would. The game is too theme parked hopping from quest hub to quest hub. Been there done that. I am sure some will like it and more power to ya. 
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Originally posted by Vee4240
    Maybe if all the new-age MMOs released a offline single player only mode like d3 people who arent interested in group play in a multiplayer game will finally be satisfied!? That's some logic Ive never understood. And then to ask for BiS gear for being a solo'er? What on earth in an MMO would you need BiS for if you never are doing anything challenging?...No not challenging, I should say, gear  needed to help kill a raid boss, or epically geared pvp opponent. You didnt have BiS leveling up while pwning those quest mobs. I didnt need BiS to go back and kill those mobs in Rift on Ember Isle, just a neat amount of stats to do so. But DEF not BiS. And It was gear that the mobs there would eventually drop. 

So you all can chill with the BiS for a solo player stuff. You know that'll NEVER happen. Not in a themepark. 

What they stated is that

Solo/Small Group doesn't really need any stats other than the base stats to be effective.

Raid Gear will have Strikethrough (Hit - DPS), Deflect Critical (Defense - Tank), and Recovery (Mana/Focus Regen - Healer). These are pretty-much-required to be an effective raider.

PvP Gear will have two stats necessary to be your most optimal in PvP (basically PvP Offense - deal more damage to players, and PvP Defense - take less damage from players)

So you are correct about the solo player..

Maybe you'd have a leg to stand on with your argument if raiders weren't handed gear that lets them trivialize both solo and regular group content and in some games the entire PvP arena to boot.  They also for the most part, get the best looking gear, the fastest mounts, bank accounts with gold deposits that would satisfy a small country, coolest pets...etc.  Maybe it's time for the genre to let other play styles shine at end game or at least get equal treatment.  These other play styles are not only as legitimate as raiding, they are far more popular.

And there ARE games like that;  GW2 is a game like that....Wildstar is not. Wildstar is about raiding as it's main End-Game.  If you're not a raider or a high-ranked PvP player (Warplots or Arenas), you're not going to get the cool gear that screams "I'm a badass".

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Maybe if all the new-age MMOs released a offline single player only mode like d3 people who arent interested in group play in a multiplayer game will finally be satisfied!? That's some logic Ive never understood. And then to ask for BiS gear for being a solo'er? What on earth in an MMO would you need BiS for if you never are doing anything challenging?...No not challenging, I should say, gear  needed to help kill a raid boss, or epically geared pvp opponent. You didnt have BiS leveling up while pwning those quest mobs. I didnt need BiS to go back and kill those mobs in Rift on Ember Isle, just a neat amount of stats to do so. But DEF not BiS. And It was gear that the mobs there would eventually drop. 

So you all can chill with the BiS for a solo player stuff. You know that'll NEVER happen. Not in a themepark. 

What they stated is that

Solo/Small Group doesn't really need any stats other than the base stats to be effective.

Raid Gear will have Strikethrough (Hit - DPS), Deflect Critical (Defense - Tank), and Recovery (Mana/Focus Regen - Healer). These are pretty-much-required to be an effective raider.

PvP Gear will have two stats necessary to be your most optimal in PvP (basically PvP Offense - deal more damage to players, and PvP Defense - take less damage from players)

Raiders aren't "handed" anything.  

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

What they stated is that

Raiders aren't "handed" anything.  

They are handed more crap ton more crap than any other demographic for much less work/time. And they are pretty much smallest demographic, which finally was discovered by developers in slow and painful way (Carbine seems quite backward though)

And raiding hasnt been "leet" for 10+ years now.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Dont see any appeal in this game

it trying way too hard to be "cool" which induce the a flavour of 12yr old wannabes while lookin a lot like wow 2.0, with features wow already has or will have only in different coat (archeology in wow/explorer path in ws)

So.. I think I rather stay with wow just because I know the franchise, or try something ACTUALLY new - like Black Desert

Im not that much into mature MMOs, but the gfx of wildstar are simply horrible even wow seems to outshine it :S

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I don't see myself playing Wildstar as more than a casual player.

The best MMOs hook me and I end up playing over 120 hours in the first month, or something silly like that. As much as I hate P2P, if I thought I would get that much playtime, I'd hold my nose, spend $60+ on the box and $15/month to rent the game I thought I bought.

Wildstar, based on my limited beta experience and additional research, is the sort of game I might play a total of 50-60 hours over several months. Now, I know people will make arguments that that's a good value vs. many other forms of entertainment. However, MMOs need to be judged as MMOs and as computer games.

I've played single player or coop RPGs where I've felt that the box price was worth the 40-60 hours I got from the game. Paying $60+15+15+15, or $105, for the same anticipated number of play hours stretched over 4 months makes it a horrible deal even vs. a  non-mmo game. When judged vs. MMOs I like enough to play "hardcore", it an even worse deal.

I think what's sad here is Wildstar screams "Casual F2P MMO" in it's design and would possibly be one of the most successful Western MMOs under a F2P, or B2P, (or even hybrid sub/B2P/F2P) business model. In an era where subscription based business models are struggling, and maybe even on their death bed, releasing this particular game for $60+, with a required subscription fee, is just pure madness.

World of Tanks is making much more with it's hybrid, ala carte premium status, plus cash shop, business approach than any Western MMO we've seen since WoW. We've also seen F2P games with poorly designed business models flounder. The right business model, matched to the right game, is crucial in the current environment.

Wildstar is the wrong game for it's business model, but it's a game that could have been a huge success with the proper business model. I think Wildstar and TESO will both open publisher's eyes to the fact that a "one size fits all" business model for an MMO today is just a recipe for disaster. There might still be some MMO in development that would maximize it's financial success by sticking with the old standard model, but Wildstar is definitely not that game.

So, I'll pass on the current bandwagon, but I look forward to jumping on the Wildstar bandwagon when it eventually goes F2P. I support F2P games I like with purchases, it's not that I don't think I should pay for my game experiences. However, I want to be able to pay a game what it's actually worth to me and Wildstar is not worth it's current price.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    I find the art design of the game repulsive and my limited exposure during the beta to the game mechanics wasn't enough to counterweight that. The game also, from my point of view, doesn't seem to have any defining feature, which is another reason I feel my decision to skip this one feels justified.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by Xasapis
     The game also, from my point of view, doesn't seem to have any defining feature, which is another reason I feel my decision to skip this one feels justified.

Huh? What do you mean?

It has loads of different kinds of PvE and loads of different kinds of PvP.

It has a very defining combat system as well as a monstrous housing system.

Wildstar pretty much has all the defining features of a VERY complete themepark MMO.

..Cake..

• mspitzermspitzer Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by Volgore

Your points are valid. 40 Man raid content is not for everyone.
    The key is to be part of a solid guild. In wow you could pug a 20 man raid without much difficulty, but I don't see that happening with 40 man raids in Wildstar.
    They have already stated that if your looking for easy raid content then WS isn't the game for you. Its going to be difficult, as in Vanilla WoW 40 man Raid difficult and then some. I've only seen some of the mechanics that WS will deploy, I cant wait to see the rest.

With that said.. I wish you luck with finding a game that fits your play style.

For me the problem is not the difficulty of the raid content, but that 40 man raids is content that is not accessible to me.

I wouldn't ask for easy epics, but for accessible, worthwhile gear+content for non-raiders.

"If you don't raid, what do you need BiS for?" - i guess it's about not being sort of a second class customer in a game that has gear orientated character progression. And why do the raiders care anyway? Usually they are the first to yell "but we raid for fun, its not to have better gear than casuals have" and they'll get their stuff anyway.

So far Carbine is really showing off with their PvP and raids, but being a casual nowadays i'm concerned Carbine is missing a third aspect here.

Carbine has stated i lost count of how many times...Wildstar is for the the hardcore of the hardcore...and people who want to get loot are going to have to put i the work like everyone else there is no future plans to put in any form of a LFR...so if your a extreme casual then you prob wont like it....but if you do pvp at end game they have stated they match people based off rank and gear in pvp

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    A lot depends on what I experience in the next few betas . I have only played the early game upto level 11 but it seemed very easy compared to other mmos . I have heard they are putting in tougher mobs though so that may change . The real decider will be if they can fix the optimization problems . I run Rift which is not a paticulary well optimized game at around 60-70 fps on ultra setting at the highest resolution in the open world but my computer only gets 20-30 fps on medium in Wildstar in the open world . I'm sure this will improve it is a beta after all .
  • perran7691perran7691 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Tried beta, I'll pass for now. I'm worried about the 40 man raid deal. As someone who was around during vanilla WOW getting a stable core of 40 players is gonna be a real issue. Hell finding 25 in WOW is problematic, not including the use of raid finder (easymode) and now you see with it's next expansion they are dropping it to 20, so I have my doubts about Wildstar's endgame.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    This game is literally the antithesis of what I'm looking for in a MMORPG, pretty sure this is one wagon I should miss.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Much as I am enjoying ESO for the moment, I am almost certain it will be my last themepark MMO. The genre is stuck in a rut and I cannot face more of the same. I will be looking at The Repopulation and maybe even H1Z1 for something different - more social, more collaborative and with less of a content progression ladder. If all else fails I may even head back to EVE.

Nothing wrong with Wildstar for those who like its style and content. But, for me, I don't want to be back in 2004-style gameplay. Been there, done that and I sure as hell don't have time for 40-man raiding any more.

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Nope its the same old shit ive done before in that other game. Yes i am max level and yes i have done the dungeons/raids in beta my guild is very displeased with me leaving bu hey i aint going to play something i dont enjoy.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Dont love it, neither i hate it, i just dont care for now this 2 wagons (ESO and WS).

If they were free, i might play a little bit, but none worth the money for me, not because what they are but because none pull my interest.

• GeridenGeriden Member UncommonPosts: 390

Once i got past the initial starting ship, thats like the tutorial area i got really sucked into the game, enjoyed the questing pve is fun the combat is great, the animations are lovely, pvp is ok but i find all the telegraphs make it a mess. Quests to find all over the place, random caves random events, like i was mining a node of ore and ore in wildstar are like wormy parasite things, after i mined the node a cave entrance poped up under it and i was in a cavern full of ore nodes it was great. Another i found an anomoly and when i inspected it started a challenge and i was attacked by a bunch of mad robots.

Theirs just loads of awesome things to do in it, so yes i cant wait for it to go live !

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by Malvious
    Nope its the same old shit ive done before in that other game. Yes i am max level and yes i have done the dungeons/raids in beta my guild is very displeased with me leaving bu hey i aint going to play something i dont enjoy.

You sure?

..Cake..

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Worse than GW2 for me, won't be playing.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    This game is literally the antithesis of what I'm looking for in a MMORPG, pretty sure this is one wagon I should miss.

Just an another future Free to play.. I'll wait until then.