Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta player describes game play

n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

All I can say is ::::08::

Original source

Edit: Put link to the original source at Silky Venom.

image image

Comments

• FeyshteyFeyshtey Member UncommonPosts: 137

Oloh is the person that is giving this information out. He's been released from his NDA obligations (within reason).

He's also answering some questions in this thread on the Vanguard forums, and has responded a lot in this thread on Fires of Heaven's forum.

There's some great stuff there for those seeking more specific gameplay info.

-Feyshtey-

• RubiadeRubiade Member Posts: 24
    Thx for the link. was some interesting info. image
  • indiindi Member UncommonPosts: 149

Great info, thanks for the link.

Some great MMORPGs are going to be released soon, but Vanguard is my personal favorite. I love games which are easy to learn, but hard to master. Can't wait :)

• Chief021Chief021 Member Posts: 107

::::04:: Didnt see that coming. Thanks for the post/link...::::28::

A PS4 ESO guild accepting applications at http://lowlyknights.enjin.com

• GrimSkunk2GrimSkunk2 Member Posts: 451

Nice post. Thanks.

-W.

• JordellJordell Member Posts: 5

Ive read this a while ago, but i can say the combat system (they way its being described) is why i think V:SOH will be an awsome game.

• KovyKovy Member UncommonPosts: 22

Thanks.

• MMO_MunkMMO_Munk Member Posts: 299

Thanks for the link learned alot of nice inside details,

*crosses fingers to get into later stage of beta*

• jmd10222jmd10222 Member Posts: 427

Nice image great post very good info thereimage

• MordithMordith Member UncommonPosts: 210

Nothing against Vanguard as I am looking forward to it, but you really have to take "hype" from an insider with a grain of salt. The combat does sound intriguing, but as to whether it truly is revolutionary, we shall just have to see.

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

Originally posted by Mordith
    Nothing against Vanguard as I am looking forward to it, but you really have to take "hype" from an insider with a grain of salt. The combat does sound intriguing, but as to whether it truly is revolutionary, we shall just have to see.

very true, but i am confident in this Dev team ::::28::

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• dunaduriumdunadurium Member Posts: 257

That is very true, especially considering that Oloh is the second highest level in beta ATM (and addiction can twist your view on things image )

But overall i too am pretty confident in the devs behind Vanguard and have been following it for a long time and have come to trust them as they are so open and up front with the community, Brads even posted in these forums a couple times.

But now we need to hear more on player controlled boats and mounts...maybe a screenshot or 2? image

"Silly rabbit, WoW's for kids"

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

If he was going to blow smoke up your ass though, he could just as easily do it about crafting and about other parts of the game. I have a bit more faith in the guy since he refuses to discuss parts of the game that he hasn't directly experienced. The game is looking more promising to me all the time.

image image

• panjitpanjit Member Posts: 153

It's really nice to read some positives about a beta experience for a change, lately it has seemed thatall the up and coming MMO's were getting a lot of bad press. Admittedly I havent looked into Vanguard very much myself, but from the sound of it Sigil is aiming at the more hardcore audience? Would there be any room for a casual player - casual as in limited hours rather than mind set.

• lunamonsterlunamonster Member Posts: 325

Sigil is targetting the core gamer which is somewhere in between a hardcore and casual however they say they are making a game that most playstyles will be able to get into.

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621
    Did anyone else read about the combat and think "This is game sounds more like D&D than DDO"?
  • dunaduriumdunadurium Member Posts: 257

Originally posted by Jodokai
    Did anyone else read about the combat and think "This is game sounds more like D&D than DDO"?

No? not really at all. i think they both have quite different systems.

-Dunadurium

"Silly rabbit, WoW's for kids"

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Originally posted by dunadurium

No? not really at all. i think they both have quite different systems.
    -Dunadurium

Yeah that's my point. One seems very much like the D&D games I used to play on paper the other is nothing like it. Too bad the one that is nothing like D&D bares the D&D name.
  • AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Any info is always welcome.  Even biased by a lawyer fanboi.

Real time counter reaction is not D&D (for the better or for the worst).  Sorry to break a bubble.  Maybe it is close to the Xbox Baldur Gate version however (hopefully better).  D&D has planning, thinking, consideration, but it is not done in a "real time rush" mentality.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

Great read there.. The combat system sounds a little bit like DAOC,,somewhat but with greater enhancements and fun little tweaks.. Vanguard has been on my #1 top highly anticipated game to be released in 2006 list even before WoW and EQ2 went live..

Now at this present day I've burned myself out playing EQ2 and WoW.. Vanguard definitely seems to be the MMO which will keep my interest as long as the original Everquest did years ago.. But after seeing quite a few promising MMO's slated to come out this year, "AoC,The Chronicle,Darkfall,and DnL,Vanguard still remains on top as the game I'm waiting for..

Now if only I could get into Beta to test this game I've been waiting 4 years to try,lol..

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by oakthornn

Great read there.. The combat system sounds a little bit like DAOC,,somewhat but with greater enhancements and fun little tweaks.. Vanguard has been on my #1 top highly anticipated game to be released in 2006 list even before WoW and EQ2 went live..

I agree on the combat system. sounding a lot like Daoc's.  Very interactive.  I loved Daoc's combat system but Vanguard does everything Daoc does and more.   There appears to be a lot to do in combat.  It looks like even more so than in most games skilled players will level a lot faster than poor players.  What was interesting to me was the intial reaction on the official boards.  A lot of people didn't seem to like the idea of having to make choices in combat that would matter.   Many posted they felt it would be more twitch FPS like.   But if its anything like daoc it will not be.  It will just seperate good players from bad players as good players will be the ones that are paying attention, know their class and know the capabilities of other classes.  I can't wait. 
  • oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by Zippy

Originally posted by oakthornn

I agree on the combat system. sounding a lot like Daoc's.  Very interactive.  I loved Daoc's combat system but Vanguard does everything Daoc does and more.   There appears to be a lot to do in combat.  It looks like even more so than in most games skilled players will level a lot faster than poor players.  What was interesting to me was the intial reaction on the official boards.  A lot of people didn't seem to like the idea of having to make choices in combat that would matter.   Many posted they felt it would be more twitch FPS like.   But if its anything like daoc it will not be.  It will just seperate good players from bad players as good players will be the ones that are paying attention, know their class and know the capabilities of other classes.  I can't wait. 

Exactly.. I can't wait either friend.. EQ was a great game in its time,but the combat system for certain classes really sucked..I loved my druid for 2 years,and my warrior was the worst fun class to play for me.. If I wasnt the MT,I could literally go to the kitchen,make a 7 coarse dinner,come back,and no one would have known I was gone,lol..

Vanguard will attract alot of kids,but the ones who don't know how to play their character or pay attention to details will have a frustrated and horrible time playing Vanguard.. Its complex and fun souding combat system will have the horrible gamers quitting soon leaving us good players with a fun product and great community to enjoy this game with..

And twitch fps is really starting to get old..Especially with games such as DDO focusing on real time combat,this new combat system will be a good thing for a real Next Generation MMO such as Vanguard..

Cant wait to get my hands on this,lol.I'd actually pay 16 dollars a month right now to participate in beta,hehe.

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• MerithynMerithyn Member Posts: 3

Being new to the game, those links are fabulous. I missed them when they were around the first time.

Personally, the more I hear about Vanguard the more upset I am with SoE for dumbing down EQ. At one time it was a difficult, compelling game. Now it's a joke. Let's hope that Vanguard keeps going with the type of game they want to make, instead of bowing to those who want easier play.

• AstaresAstares Member Posts: 37

The combat system sounds interesting but its nothing special, in fact its a dumb down version of what players have been using in previous MMOs. That is watch the mob animations/actions and counteract, admittedly the choices of counters will be more precise in Vanguard, then mob casting spell -> silence, stun it etc.

For the combat system to be truly revolutionary is if the mob AI can do exactly the same thing to the players. Players then have to fake out intelligent mobs to make them use their counters to then land the big strikes.

True next generation MMOs won't be here until advance steps are done to Mob AI and landscape/world interaction. Till then we are just playing tweaked up generation 2 clones, wrapped up in all sorts of names.

If Vanguard does offer more advanced Mob AI instead of the regular bash, bash the player till its dead, then I look forward too it.

• NubaaNubaa Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Astares
    For the combat system to be truly revolutionary is if the mob AI can do exactly the same thing to the players.

They can, IIRC.