Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: Mega Server

2»

Comments

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

i'll reserve judgement.

i see this as a response to playerbase decline (which is a fact) and a cost cutting move to merge servers, freeing up hardware. Problems that I see arising: 1) We already know anet has done a poor job of handling large #s of players in specific zones or events - things lag out, people DC, etc. This may make this worse across a broader area of the game; 2) the alignment of boss spawn to pre-designated times scheduled by anet. now players must tailor their play to the times these things spawn rather than being able to server hop to find times that best suited their needs. plus - some players have real life schedules that may cause them to miss some bosses all together - so if you can't tailor your gaming schedule, you miss out; 3) with more players crammed into less space - I can envision issues (as we've seen before) where a mega-zerg takes on content and some players get no credit for hitting the enemies enough to get loot drops.

Meanwhile - no exciting new content to speak of. Just more junk to spend real $ on in the gem store. No apparent fixes for the issues around loot drops, DR issues, pre-cursors, etc.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    They need this so it doesn't make the world look empty anymore. It might actually be worth trying to give this game another go.
  • eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by cptndunsel

i'll reserve judgement.

i see this as a response to playerbase decline (which is a fact) and a cost cutting move to merge servers, freeing up hardware. Problems that I see arising: 1) We already know anet has done a poor job of handling large #s of players in specific zones or events - things lag out, people DC, etc. This may make this worse across a broader area of the game; 2) the alignment of boss spawn to pre-designated times scheduled by anet. now players must tailor their play to the times these things spawn rather than being able to server hop to find times that best suited their needs. plus - some players have real life schedules that may cause them to miss some bosses all together - so if you can't tailor your gaming schedule, you miss out; 3) with more players crammed into less space - I can envision issues (as we've seen before) where a mega-zerg takes on content and some players get no credit for hitting the enemies enough to get loot drops.

Meanwhile - no exciting new content to speak of. Just more junk to spend real $ on in the gem store. No apparent fixes for the issues around loot drops, DR issues, pre-cursors, etc.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    The greatest part of this whole MegaServer change is that it gives all the people that don't play GW2 another chance to tell all of us actual GW2 players about how the game is doing. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    The greatest part of this whole MegaServer change is that it gives all the people that don't play GW2 another chance to tell all of us actual GW2 players about how the game is doing. 

Yeah, game is dead, www queues and overflows are just some charade that ANet is putting on to hide the "fact" the game is dead.

And NCSofts financial records mean nothing. NOTHING!

:)

BTW ESO launch has gone by and www queues still persist just as they were before. Bleh *queuing for map again* sigh ;P

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I read your sig after reading your post and I had a REALLY hard time choosing just one from the list.  hehe.

On a more serious note, it's 7 AM where I live, where's my dang patch?

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Sad but true.  But then again, a day without GW2 forum trolls is like a day without sunshine.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    I absolutely loath SOE for how they handle their games but i ABSOLUTELY LOVE their mega server system of DCUO. as long as i played the game it was amazing; never shortage of players to play with whether we wanted to do raids or instanced pvp or even open world pvp. i think every single game developer/publisher should try to copy SOE's mega server system.   

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

This thread is full of lulz.

The main thing that megaservers will fix is the unintended consequences of having a huge world size in PvE. Once you get to level 80, zones that are from lvl15-70 tend to be a lot emptier due to the sheer amount of servers, amount of space, and endgame content being concentrated in fractals and dungeons. With this system (similar to districts from GW1), the amount of people on any given map will determine the amount of copies of that map rather than simply having 30+ copies of a map with people spread all over.

There are a lot of games that I don't play anymore, but I never feel the need to talk about things if I haven't experienced them first hand.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2