Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Graphics Card

angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Hey All,

My current GeForceGTX 460 freezes while gaming regardless of cleaning the dust and upgrading/downgrading drivers. The mini dump points to the card and after it freezes and crashes sometimes the monitor doesn't activate during boot up.

All that to say I read on reviews for the card and people had the exact same issue and ended up buying new cards so I'll do the same.

So I am looking for suggestions.

MB: X58A-UD3R

RAM: 3*4GB Corsair RAM

GC (current and soon the formerly): GeForce GTX 460 

PSU: Corsair 850W

Windows 7 64bit Professional

I usually use the Pc to play old games through steam or D3/SCII and to stream movies. Nothing hardcore but I would like something powerful enough to play upcoming games at max/medium graphics.

Spending around $250 is my self-imposed budget. Lower is better but I can do higher if it seems worth while.

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I would go with NVidia 750Ti for about 150 USD. Enough power to run even new games and great performance/price ratio.

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    You'll be asked, might as well get it out of the way.  What PSU do you have (brand/model)?
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Originally posted by Hulluck
    You'll be asked, might as well get it out of the way.  What PSU do you have (brand/model)?

Corsair 850W (updated first post, thanks!)

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by angerbeaver
    Originally posted by Hulluck

Corsair 850W (updated first post, thanks!)

Your welcome.  Was a little worried you might have taken that wrongly.  I don't know enough to give advice. Just saw it and thought I might try and help speed up the process.  The regulars usually ask very first thing if not mentioned.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

In principle, I'd want the exact model on the power supply, but I don't think Corsair has ever released an 850 W power supply that would be a problem for you.  Some other brands (e.g., Cooler Master) offer power supplies of wildly varying quality, so the exact model would matter, not just the brand name and nominal wattage.

The best that you're going to find in a strict $250 budget is probably this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130953

If you're willing to go a little over budget to get something faster, there's this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202099

If you'd rather give up a little performance to save some money, there's this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814550027

Depending on which card you get, you're looking at performance in the ballpark of double your old GeForce GTX 460.

Thanks All,

I had to find this in my purchase history

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

For the Graphics card my concern is the size.

My current card is listed as 4.376" (H) x 8.25" (L) and the SAPPHIRe DUAL-X is listed as 10.32" x 4.41" x 1.34". It just sounds much large so I don't know that it'll fit on my current MB.

Thoughts?

• DaShnipaDaShnipa Member UncommonPosts: 33

My current card is listed as 4.376" (H) x 8.25" (L) and the SAPPHIRe DUAL-X is listed as 10.32" x 4.41" x 1.34". It just sounds much large so I don't know that it'll fit on my current MB.

Thoughts?

It's not your MB thats the issue, it's your case I'd be more concerned with. All motherboards use the same connectors so your safe regardless of what you do, space in the case however... Let us know what case you're using and we can give you an answer.

Main Rig --- i7 920 @ 3.6ghz//6GB Patriot XGS DDR3 1600@1804 mhz CAS9//HAF 932//Corsair HX1000//ASUS P6T Deluxe//2xMSI GTX570 Twin Frozr II SLI//64GB Patriot Torqx SSD// 1TB Seagate HDD

Secondary --- Macbook :)

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Measure how much room you'll have, then.  Depending on the case, you may find the HDD can be moved up or down to add a few inches of clearance for the card.  

You make me like charity

Thanks All,

I had to find this in my purchase history

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Thoughts?

The motherboard is not the problem.  It has four PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots, at least two of which are probably wired for the full x16 bandwidth.  (Incidentally, the correct slot for a single video card is the PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot nearest to the CPU.)  All PCI Express x16 slots and connectors have been the same length since the original PCI Express specification released way back in 2004.  Your current card extends much longer than the slot it fits in, and the new card would probably overhang even further, but that's not a problem for the motherboard.  The new cards will be PCI Express 3.0, but that's not a problem, as PCI Express is backward compatible and they'll simply run at half bandwidth.

Where it could be a problem is the case.  A sufficiently long card won't physically fit in the case, and that can be a problem.  Still, if a card that is a little over 10" won't physically fit in your case, then you seriously botched the case selection for such a high-budget system unless small form factor was a huge priority.  Considering how many other nice parts you have in the rig, that would be a rather surprising mistake.

Still, there's no need to guess how much space you have in your case.  Open it up, pull out a ruler, and measure how long a card can be before it hits a hard drive cage or some such.  Even budget gaming cases usually offer at least 11" of clearance, and some cases offer much more than that, though anything beyond about 13" is superfluous.  If it does have a hard drive cage that blocks a longer card, there's a good chance that it can be removed and you could still fit a longer card but merely have to reposition hard drives.

I didn't realize the cards were standard but that makes complete sense.

When I looked at the MB yesterday I thought some parts were jutting out that would block a bigger card from fitting but it seems I misjudged. I checked after reading the comments and the parts are raised but the card would still be above them. There is plenty of space between my current card and the hard drives. I don't actually have a ruler lol but it looks like past those parts the new one should fit.

Thanks again all!

I didn't realize the cards were standard but that makes complete sense.

When I looked at the MB yesterday I thought some parts were jutting out that would block a bigger card from fitting but it seems I misjudged. I checked after reading the comments and the parts are raised but the card would still be above them. There is plenty of space between my current card and the hard drives. I don't actually have a ruler lol but it looks like past those parts the new one should fit.

Thanks again all!

I hope you added case fans to that, as otherwise, that's a lot of heat with not a lot of airflow--which could have contributed to your previous card frying.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

What CPU do you have?  

If your CPU isn't very good, upgrading your video card might not help much.  In that case, a cheaper GPU would get you the most performance you can have with your current CPU.

Originally posted by syntax42

What CPU do you have?  

If your CPU isn't very good, upgrading your video card might not help much.  In that case, a cheaper GPU would get you the most performance you can have with your current CPU.

The motherboard has an LGA 1366 socket, and the worst CPU to fit that socket is a Core i7-920, which is still a decently capable CPU.