Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DOAC vs WOW

I was wondering some of the pro's versus con's of starting a character in WOW versus DAOC. Has anyone played both who can tell me which is better? I know this is a broad question, but any insight will help. I played DAOC and was thinking of moving over to WOW.

Thanks.

Comments

• DrSawDrSaw Member Posts: 81

What is better is always subjective, as you know. I joined DAOC before I started playing WoW regularly. I don't remember what level I made it to, but it was maybe level 20 or near there. I joined a guild and had interaction with others, so I got a taste of what the game is like. Most people say, however, that you can't truly judge DAOC until you hit level 25. But I just couldn't manage to endure the quests any longer.

Anyways, the questing system in WoW is so much better. I like the story lines, etc. The graphics are also better and smoother in WoW, in my opinion. In DAOC I was pretty much grinding by killing mobs. And most of the mobs were really strange, like floating bubbles and tiny fairies.

So I played DAOC but could not get into it. I played WoW and it has been my MMORPG of choice for awhile now.

Good luck!

• kimmarkimmar Member Posts: 446

Originally posted by DrSaw
    What is better is always subjective, as you know. I joined DAOC before I started playing WoW regularly. I don't remember what level I made it to, but it was maybe level 20 or near there. I joined a guild and had interaction with others, so I got a taste of what the game is like. Most people say, however, that you can't truly judge DAOC until you hit level 25. But I just couldn't manage to endure the quests any longer.Anyways, the questing system in WoW is so much better. I like the story lines, etc. The graphics are also better and smoother in WoW, in my opinion. In DAOC I was pretty much grinding by killing mobs. And most of the mobs were really strange, like floating bubbles and tiny fairies. So I played DAOC but could not get into it. I played WoW and it has been my MMORPG of choice for awhile now.Good luck!

I wouldn't call getting to 20 getting a taste of the game. That's one dungeon you got to visit, maybe two. You saw nothing really. Did you even do any of the PvP? I'll admit that to some the PvE in WoW could be more appealing, but that's only 1/4 of the game in DAoC. 3/4 of it is the PvP. But still, you didn't get to see hardly any of ToA, Catacombs, or any of the high level advancing.

I used to play WoW a lot. I got to 60 and as I'm sure you've heard it gets boring. Very boring. The higher you get in DAoC the more the game comes alive. There is a friend of mine in my office who just switched over from WoW too and she's having the same good experience as I am. It's fun.

I would say play the DAoC trial. But make sure you remember, there's sooooo much more when you get higher in level.

=============================
    It all seems so stupid
    It makes me want to give up
    But why should I give up
    When it all seems so stupid

• kimmarkimmar Member Posts: 446

Oh, Zack. I remembered something to recommend to you if you try DAoC. Make sure to play one of the classes like Animist or Warlock. Those are Hibernia and Midgard respectively. Playing those classes will also show you just how different the classes in DAoC are than in WoW. They're crazy fun. The classes in WoW are the typical that have been in every game before them.

=============================
    It all seems so stupid
    It makes me want to give up
    But why should I give up
    When it all seems so stupid

• bukshotbukshot Member Posts: 277
    I have played both games alot, I like them both. They are different games though...Daoc has the older Mmo feel. Wow is alot faster paced. Daoc has the best PVP system out of any game though, the RvR stuff is great...I would suggest trying them both. I have been playing WOW since stress test but played daoc off and on for about 2 years b4 that.

• ZackNewbieZackNewbie Member Posts: 2

Thanks for the helpful insights.

Is it true that in WOW, if you don't continue to play, any gains made in PvP are lost and reset, thereby benefiting player who are logged on often versus those who play from time to time. If this is the case, then I would prefer DAOC where you log on where you left off in terms of benefit accruals for PvP.

As for questing and all that, I prefer PvP so I am leaning to DAOC. Anyone prefer PvP in WOW to DAOC?

• BeermeisterBeermeister Member Posts: 104

WoW pvp sucks..ive had 3 lvl 60's so far and this last one i made I joined a pvp guild where were taking turns getting each other rank 13 / 14, pretty much if your going for high ranks like 11+ you have to dedicate a ton of time to it and not let up till you get the rank you want or else your rank decays and you derank. WoW pvp is pretty fun though if you queue up with a good group of players on vent or ts but solo queueing and getting into a group with a bunch of people who dont know what there doing can be pretty frustrating.

• VicerynViceryn Member Posts: 177

i actually recently purchased DAOC about 3 mos ago, and I am no longer playing.

I have been playing WoW since release though.

Once you play warcraft, its pretty hard to play something else. The only main difference (or so I hear, I never really got to try it out) is that DAOC is more directed towards PvP. And its Realm vs. Realm, so that makes it pretty widescale. WoW is more for the casual player and is pretty easy to jump right into. DAOC took me a while to get the hang of this. The graphics aren't so great either. But, I'm sure if you went to the DAOC forums, they would negate everything I said. See if you can get a trial or something and try it out for yourself to get an opinion. Although, try WoW first! You might not even have to get the DAOC trial after that ::::28::

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Imo, the only aspect that DaOC has over WoW is RvR. Having said that, RvR is a very nice aspect of DaOC. The feature makes PvP a bit more fun and somewhat more meaningful.

I've read musings from Blizzard that they'll add RvR content to WoW some time in the future. I would hope that they take the DaOC model.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

Originally posted by IcoGames
    Imo, the only aspect that DaOC has over WoW is RvR. Having said that, RvR is a very nice aspect of DaOC. The feature makes PvP a bit more fun and somewhat more meaningful.I've read musings from Blizzard that they'll add RvR content to WoW some time in the future. I would hope that they take the DaOC model.

WoW PvP is really BG "games". Clear goals, and healthy competition within teams even. WoW is also much mroe reactionary than DAoC is, for almost any action an opponent does there is a reaction to nullify it. WoW overall is mostly a small scale PvP situation since battle grounds came out.

DAoC is more epic and unwieldly battles. There isn't always a solution to a specific force overwhelming you 'cept maybe a zerg or suicide attacks to nibble at the opposition.

Two completely different feels for PvP. Community wise WoW teends to feel less demanding in PVP and less bitter (except for those elitests in any game of course). But, more WoW players are willing to AFK out or just leave battles randomly (unless you are in a non-PUG).

/shrug which do you prefer?

• glokskeeglokskee Member Posts: 7

People will say you cant PUG WSG/AB but i really dont know where they are comming from because i always done PUG i never got invloved in any major guilds and i would PUG and meet new people to do instances with and BG's i never had a problem we would win some BG and lose some, thats part of the game. you will rank just fine in PUG the same as you would in a guild there is no differnce at all the only way to make a huge differnce is the time you play how many hours you stay in BG's for thats what really makes your rank.::::08::

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by kimmar

Oh, Zack. I remembered something to recommend to you if you try DAoC. Make sure to play one of the classes like Animist or Warlock. Those are Hibernia and Midgard respectively. Playing those classes will also show you just how different the classes in DAoC are than in WoW. They're crazy fun. The classes in WoW are the typical that have been in every game before them.

it is true to an extent. It would take quite a lot of time to lose all your ranks and the higher the level, the slower it goes down..... but the higher the rank and the faster it goes down... so if you reach high rank and then not play for a while, expect to lose a rank or two.

it works like this: You start with 0 Rank points and 0 Honor points. Each Honorable kill (HK) you do add honor points as each battleground you visit and each strategic objective (killing of racial leaders) you accomplish.

At the end of each week, to keep it simple, your honor points are calculated (in a fairly complex way, but the program gives you an estimate of how many you should get) and compared to your Rank points. a percentual of the difference is then added/subtracted to the rank points and the honor points are zeroed.

So, if in first week you did 2000 honor points, the system see you did 2000 and have 0 Rank points, if the % is... 10%, that means you get 200 rank points.

Second week, you again do 2000 honor points, same thing but now you have 200 rank points, so the difference is 1800, not 2000 and so you get 180 more rank points for a total of 380.

As you see, the higher your rank points goes, the harder it is to keep up. it is very easy for the first ranks, but it become increasingly harder. If in a week you do LESS honor points than you have rank points, you lose rank points with a much reduced percentual, like... 1%.

So if in week 3 you didn't partecipate at all, you get 0 honor points and 380 rank points. difference is 380, 3 % is roughly 4 so you get 376 rank points... and so on.

As for what game is better, DAoC RvR is a unique feature that makes the game viable, but everything else, dungeons, quests, classes.... wow is superior.

It is true that DAoC has many more classes than wow, but the classes tend to have far less powers. A Fire Mage has only 8. more recent classes, from the expansions, tends to have more, 20-25. but a WoW class get more than 40.... so there is no competition there.

Of course DAoC offers a lot of content geared for high end players, being a fair old game and this is not necessarily a good thing for a newbie. Getting to max level is not a walk in the park, especially when most of the population is fixes at the highest levels. Levelling in DaoC is in measure of the grind mostly, the quests are not enough to consent you levelling just with them. So is the grind. not as bad as FFXI or EQ but still.. Da Grind!

DAoC and WoW crafting systems are very similar. but daoc do not have harvesting in the environment, so all crafting must be fueled by adventuring money plus you have chance to lose all work when doing orange recipes. so all in all, WoW crafting is superior too.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"